Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 | Posted by: Cash | Full story: www.scientificblogging.com

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Comments (Page 5,639)

Showing posts 112,761 - 112,780 of171,276
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
right

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>I don't have a scientific survey. I know that the majority of physicians I know think goo-to-you evolution is absurd. Any survey that you can site will invariably fail to define "evolution".
Alien sperm goo could produce goo to you..i dont see why not...i live about an hour and a half from the south shore. Since the temps have been warmer during the day has the snow become slushy or is it still good for snowboarding?

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't read it. I work 60-70 hours a week and spend nights and weekends on my hobbies playing guitar and science. Occasionally I get to go flying or scuba diving or boating. That's about all I have time for.

You mean anti-science

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Using the tools of operational science is a good thing and has nothing to do with evolution's attempt to interpret history.

"operational science" sounds great but in actually just creationist pseudoscience.
HTS

South Lake Tahoe, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, Markie says the same thing too. He's also a great big giant fat liar for Jesus. But since he lives in the Bible belt it could be one of those rare times he's telling the truth.
On the other hand, we can provide you with literally hundreds of thousands of peer-reviewed papers on the subject of evolution. Very few of which question the validity of evolution as a whole.
<quoted text>
Change in allele frequencies over time. The fact is that life changes over time. We call this evolution. And we couldn't give two figs about your invisible magic Jew-wizard.
Unless of course you've finally managed to come up with a "scientific theory" of IDC for us?
?
Didn't think so.
Transmutation from a worm to a man is not simple "changing allele frequencies", so why do you persist in irrelevant extrapolations?
As far as scientific evidence for God... Perhaps you could enlighten me on the significance of the Wheeler delayed choice experiment. How does your paradigm of atheism explain the existence of intelligence in photons of light?
HTS

South Lake Tahoe, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry you seem to have a problem with comprehension of the written word.- let me help you out ...
?
. I don't simply swallow whatever BS is out there on atheist websites. If you have some scientific evidence that HiV is "evolving", let's see it... I would be very interested.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>. I don't simply swallow whatever BS is out there on atheist websites. If you have some scientific evidence that HiV is "evolving", let's see it... I would be very interested.
EVERY living thing is evolving, all the time, it never stops.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>I don't have a scientific survey. I know that the majority of physicians I know think goo-to-you evolution is absurd. Any survey that you can site will invariably fail to define "evolution".
Could you provide a list of these physicians so that I can avoid them?
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Transmutation from a worm to a man is not simple "changing allele frequencies", so why do you persist in irrelevant extrapolations?
Why do you insist on irrelevant caricatures?
HTS wrote:
As far as scientific evidence for God... Perhaps you could enlighten me on the significance of the Wheeler delayed choice experiment. How does your paradigm of atheism explain the existence of intelligence in photons of light?
Yet more bastardization of quantum physics by wishful thinking fundies.(shrug)
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

HTS wrote:
How does your paradigm of atheism
By the way, I have no idea what you're talking about here. When have I ever argued a positive case for atheism? How are atheism and theism relevant to science?
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>. I don't simply swallow whatever BS is out there on atheist websites. If you have some scientific evidence that HiV is "evolving", let's see it... I would be very interested.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/evolution/library/01/...

But why lie and claim you're interested when you're not? After all, all you'll do is say it's only "micro" and complain that AIDS hasn't evolved into an aardvark.(shrug)
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

http://www.topix.com/forum/news/evolution/TCT...

Don't forget this now HTS, will you?
Mugwump

London, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

HTS wrote:
Sorry - do you have learning difficulties ?

I am specifically asking you to back up the following claim you made.
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Most physicians who actually practice science consider Darwinian evolution to be largely BS.
Why not just say you made it up then we can move on, currently you are just looking dishonest AND deluded.

Seriously you fundies would make an AWESOME dodgeball team

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
We admit a duality of religion and science. You misrepresent ideology and history as "science", i.e., you guys are the ones at fault - not us.

Sorry, but this is not correct. Evolution and all related sciences (basically ALL the sciences) have a method by which observation (data) lead to hypothesis, then testing, refinement, theory, predictions, verification, replication, peer review,....

Creationism just says "goddoneit" and trys to rationalize/distort the evidence to fit the a priori conclusion. That is not science. Never was and never can be.
Alien Outlaw

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

appleby wrote:
<quoted text>
Something to ponder. If, say aliens are responsible for life on earth, what would be their point in hiding and leaving no trace of their existence? Life has been on the planet (still no evidence of how it came to be) for 3.5 billion years. It wouldn't make any difference to fish, frogs, deer or dogs whether or not aliens were on the planet, so why would they hide?
As we explore we leave our artifacts everywhere we go, the moon, mars, even on asteroids. We don't try to cover our tracks on mars, hoping to fool some future life form into believing that god did it.
They don't hide. Thousands of sightings, close encounters, abductions and MIB encounters happen all the time. Humans that have not had an encounter do not believe the ones that have had encounters. The reason no evidence is found is because they control and munipulate the human animal.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, on the subject. And not a one proves macroevolution true. Isn't it about time to consider an alternative?

If there was an alternative it would be considered. But no one has come up with a scientifically viable alternative even after 150 years of trying

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>

"Intelligence" of photons?

You have access to good drugs.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

HTS wrote:

https://www.google.com/search...

About 15,900,000 results (0.22 seconds)

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>I can't imagine why you'd want to bring up ERV's... The failed junk DNA debacle only further debunks evolution. I didn't reference it only to spare you further embarrassment.

ERVs are one of the proofs of evolution. There is no other way to explain them that actually fits the facts.

By "junk DNA" I assume you mean non protein coding DNA. That does nothing to support creotardism. In fact the non-protein coding portions of DNA contain further proofs of evolution. not exactly something an antiscience buff such as yourself would want to draw attention to.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Your philosophical opinion that atheism is irrelevant to evolution is likewise irrelevant.

Fact: the first mechanism of evolution was discovered by a Christian.
Fact: the nested hierarchy of evolution was discovered by a Christian.
Fact: some of the greatest evolutionary biologists were/are Christians.
Fact: The secrets of the ultimate proof of evolution (DNA) was proposed and discovered by a Christian.

Therefore: atheism is irrelevant to evolution.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not an opinion. The scientific theory of evolution makes no theological opinions. If you wanna complain that it's "atheistic" then you could make the same complaint about EVERY single currently accepted field of science. As none of those make any theological claims either.
That's why your local weather reporter doesn't mention the wrath of the Gods when it rains, and why gravity doesn't mention anything about intelligent falling.

Actually this atheist driven conspiracy goes even further than you might imagine.

Bowling makes no theological claims.
Kite flying makes no theological claims.
table fan design makes no theological claims.
Silver mining makes no theological claims.
Thumb twiddling! Thumb twiddling makes NO theological claims!

And,... here is the kicker

DIPPER CHANGING! Dipper changing makes NOT ONE SINGLE theological claim.

G.D. atheists are running EVERYTHING!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 112,761 - 112,780 of171,276
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

14 Users are viewing the Evolution Debate Forum right now

Search the Evolution Debate Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 8 min ChromiuMan 133,197
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 16 min The Dude 112,066
are white people inbred albinos (Dec '09) 1 hr OCA 2 21
When Will Evolutionists Confess Their Atheistic... 2 hr Chimney1 1,335
Intelligent Design - Deist style (Dec '09) 17 hr Kong_ 54
Science News (Sep '13) Fri positronium 2,822
Ann Coulter: Idiot (Sep '11) Jul 10 DanFromSmithville 358
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••