Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 | Posted by: Cash | Full story: www.scientificblogging.com

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Comments (Page 5,638)

Showing posts 112,741 - 112,760 of171,381
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
HTS

South Lake Tahoe, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Go boom.
Irony meter duz it.
I notice you didn't provide Cowboy the help he needed to deal with ERV's.
It always goes that way...
I can't imagine why you'd want to bring up ERV's... The failed junk DNA debacle only further debunks evolution. I didn't reference it only to spare you further embarrassment.
HTS

South Lake Tahoe, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Talking of which - you ready to back up your claim about how most physicians reject evolution?
You know - just so we know you have ANY IDEA what you are talking about.
Or was I right in my initial assessment that you were making shit up?
Ball is in your court.
If you want to get into the HIV/AIDS debate then be my guest... HIV has not "evolved"... Where are you getting your information?
HTS

South Lake Tahoe, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
No, strict adherence to theism equals no morality, for reasons already explained.
And subsequently avoided just like everything else.
<quoted text>
1 - Philosophy is irrelevant to the validity of science, period.
2 - Evolution is not atheism, period.
<quoted text>
His philosophical opinions are still irrelevant. Repeating them 6 months later doesn't change a thing.
Your philosophical opinion that atheism is irrelevant to evolution is likewise irrelevant.
HTS

South Lake Tahoe, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
No need to deny it. ERV's are in the present. They are tested in the present. Therefore either we CAN make scientific determinations on historical evidence, or it's not historical evidence but we CAN still make determinations regarding events of the past.
This is why science works. And even the courts don't buy your apologetics for "How do YOU know? Where you THERE?!?" either.
ERV's represent a classic failed prediction of Darwinism.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>I can't imagine why you'd want to bring up ERV's... The failed junk DNA debacle only further debunks evolution. I didn't reference it only to spare you further embarrassment.
In that case you should have no problem in addressing it then.

Oh, and I didn't say junk DNA (which was already addressed), I said ERV's. You uh, DO know the difference, don't you? Being a 4 year med student with a degree and all?
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Your philosophical opinion that atheism is irrelevant to evolution is likewise irrelevant.
It's not an opinion. The scientific theory of evolution makes no theological opinions. If you wanna complain that it's "atheistic" then you could make the same complaint about EVERY single currently accepted field of science. As none of those make any theological claims either.

That's why your local weather reporter doesn't mention the wrath of the Gods when it rains, and why gravity doesn't mention anything about intelligent falling.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>If you want to get into the HIV/AIDS debate then be my guest... HIV has not "evolved"... Where are you getting your information?
Your claim was that most physicians reject evolution. So leave the goalposts where they are and back up your claim.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>ERV's represent a classic failed prediction of Darwinism.
You are doing things backwards again. ERV's are part of the evidence of evolution and helped us to understand why some things didn't fit.
HTS

South Lake Tahoe, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
In that case you should have no problem in addressing it then.
Oh, and I didn't say junk DNA (which was already addressed), I said ERV's. You uh, DO know the difference, don't you? Being a 4 year med student with a degree and all?
ERV's have long been labeled as junk DNA.
HTS

South Lake Tahoe, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Your claim was that most physicians reject evolution. So leave the goalposts where they are and back up your claim.
I don't have a scientific survey. I know that the majority of physicians I know think goo-to-you evolution is absurd. Any survey that you can site will invariably fail to define "evolution".

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>I don't have a scientific survey. I know that the majority of physicians I know think goo-to-you evolution is absurd. Any survey that you can site will invariably fail to define "evolution".
Then you don't know many competent physicians.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>ERV's have long been labeled as junk DNA.
So snap to it.(shrug)
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>I don't have a scientific survey. I know that the majority of physicians I know think goo-to-you evolution is absurd.
Yeah, Markie says the same thing too. He's also a great big giant fat liar for Jesus. But since he lives in the Bible belt it could be one of those rare times he's telling the truth.

On the other hand, we can provide you with literally hundreds of thousands of peer-reviewed papers on the subject of evolution. Very few of which question the validity of evolution as a whole.
HTS wrote:
Any survey that you can site will invariably fail to define "evolution".
Change in allele frequencies over time. The fact is that life changes over time. We call this evolution. And we couldn't give two figs about your invisible magic Jew-wizard.

Unless of course you've finally managed to come up with a "scientific theory" of IDC for us?

?

Didn't think so.

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Arlington, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, Markie says the same thing too. He's also a great big giant fat liar for Jesus. But since he lives in the Bible belt it could be one of those rare times he's telling the truth.
On the other hand, we can provide you with literally hundreds of thousands of peer-reviewed papers on the subject of evolution. Very few of which question the validity of evolution as a whole.
<quoted text>
Change in allele frequencies over time. The fact is that life changes over time. We call this evolution. And we couldn't give two figs about your invisible magic Jew-wizard.
Unless of course you've f
inally managed to come up with a "scientific theory" of IDC for us?
?
Didn't think so.
Dude, you certainly have turned into a sour puss. Losing all the time must be much fun.

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Arlington, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

The Dude wrote:
On the other hand, we can provide you with literally hundreds of thousands of peer-reviewed papers on the subject of evolution.
Yes, on the subject. And not a one proves macroevolution true. Isn't it about time to consider an alternative?
Mugwump

London, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>If you want to get into the HIV/AIDS debate then be my guest... HIV has not "evolved"... Where are you getting your information?
Sorry you seem to have a problem with comprehension of the written word.- let me help you out ...

You said
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Most physicians who actually practice science consider Darwinian evolution to be largely BS.
I and others asked you to back this up

You constantly ignore the point

Conclusion : you make shit up.

Sorry I REALLY don't see how I can dumb it down to your level anymore - maybe wax crayons?
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude, you certainly have turned into a sour puss. Losing all the time must be much fun.
Same old Dude as I've always been. Ain't lost to you yet.(shrug)
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, on the subject. And not a one proves macroevolution true.
Why of course not. Ignoring of course the shedloads of inconvenient facts you've avoided for three years or something.
Urban Cowboy wrote:
Isn't it about time to consider an alternative?
Well I dunno. How about invisible magical Jewish wizards? That's scientific, right?
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Mugwump wrote:
Sorry I REALLY don't see how I can dumb it down to your level anymore
Cowboy could probably help.

(evil grin)
right

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>Something to ponder. If, say aliens are responsible for life on earth, what would be their point in hiding and leaving no trace of their existence? Life has been on the planet (still no evidence of how it came to be) for 3.5 billion years. It wouldn't make any difference to fish, frogs, deer or dogs whether or not aliens were on the planet, so why would they hide?

As we explore we leave our artifacts everywhere we go, the moon, mars, even on astroids. We don't try to cover our tracks on mars, hoping to fool some future life form into believing that goddidit.
Maybe they were dying out because their planet wasnt habitable anymore due to global warming so they found this place, tried to survive but couldnt so their leftover DNA mutated and then evolved and turned into earth life.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 112,741 - 112,760 of171,381
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

19 Users are viewing the Evolution Debate Forum right now

Search the Evolution Debate Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Science News (Sep '13) 6 min Ricky F 2,835
British Ban Teaching Creationism As Science, Sh... 8 min wondering 119
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 11 min Dogen 112,790
Skull Valley lawmaker wants both sides of clima... (Feb '13) 23 min America 1,642
It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 24 min Dogen 134,049
Big Bang? 1 hr In Six Days 135
Modern YEC is Not An Aberration of Traditional ... 2 hr Gillette 116
The Universe is fine-tuned for life 3 hr Zog Has-fallen 35
•••
•••