Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 | Posted by: Cash | Full story: www.scientificblogging.com

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."
Comments
112,721 - 112,740 of 172,468 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Even better.
Have you seen Jesse Ventura's Conspiracy Theory?
Best comedy on the tube ever.
lol Not yet, but Alex Jones is hilarious. I think that may be the one UC got his last ones from.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
I suspect you have access to something even more extreme and wacko than FoxNews. WND perhaps?
Erm ... you may want to hold that thought:

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

It's insane what people will put on television these days ... and more insane what viewers add to it.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Since: Jul 09

Minneapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
:) I think you're continuing to confuse being religious with being unenlightened. Just because one is religious does not make them unenlightened. Nor does being non-religious automatically label you as enlightened. The assumption that you are somehow on a higher level of enlightenment than any other human being on the planet is arrogant at best. After all, humility is the beginning of wisdom. I feel it's important for a person to know what they believe and why they believe it. Being challenged is simply a part of life. A part of growth. I'm perfectly okay with that. In fact, I welcome it. How else can I expect to grow? I too have friends who come from various backgrounds and religions. Respect for my fellow man has never been a problem for me. Religious views aside. I'd also like to thank you for bringing to my attention the things I need to learn. I trust that you'll sleep well.:)
While I am convinced that some form of morality is important for the survival of any society, I am also convinced that there is no moral framework that applies to all human society. Murder in one society is justice in another; privilege in one society is corruption in another. Etc.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Minneapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I have some sympathy for the militant atheists who are railing against dogmatically driven stupidity. But they are misguided.
I also have some sympathy for religious people who are riling against the arrogant abandonment of all traditional standards by ideologically driven militant theists. Militant atheism can be as dogmatic as the religions it opposes.
But for my part, I dislike dogmatism itself and regard rational empirical skepticism as its antidote.
Yes.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Using the tools of operational science is a good thing and has nothing to do with evolution's attempt to interpret history.
Operational science. Cute. Isn't it odd that only people who intentionally misrepresent ACTUAL REALITY-BASED science use the term "operational science?"

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Minneapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Your "real science" is not even science - it's history. You study history. What you always promote are theories about how things may have happened in the past. By definition, that is not science. We should focus on the present, the observable, testable, repeatable present. Everything else is history or even religion, to be honest.
If the past is not science, neither is the future.

The ToE provides evidence of what has happened. That is science. But the ToE does not claim to predict the evolutionary paths that will occur in the future for any species. You will get no one to bite on that strawman.

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Arlington, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Operational science. Cute. Isn't it odd that only people who intentionally misrepresent ACTUAL REALITY-BASED science use the term "operational science?"
We admit a duality of religion and science. You misrepresent ideology and history as "science", i.e., you guys are the ones at fault - not us.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Minneapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
My left eye received a fragment of metal that cut the iris it was an intermittently cloudy day so that hurt. Another fragment (stone) lodged between the trapezium and metacarpal of my right thumb, also painful its amazing just how much you use your thumb. Both injures very painful but not serious
I was with my aunt, she was originally uninjured but temporally deafened. She turned to me placed her hand on my shoulders while trying to ask what was wrong, I could see her lips move but could not hear. Right in front of my (good) eye a slate that the explosion had dislodged from the roof of the building we were standing outside peeled her arm to the bone from shoulder to elbow. She lost the arm
Unlike the IRAa attack on nearby Warrington where children died, no one died in the Manchester bombing but over 200 people were injured.
Such nice people those murdering bastards who kill and maim on Saturday then go to church on Sunday for absolution from their god.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996_Manchester_...
What really hurt was that not long ago the queen shook the hand of one of their leaders
http://www.maxfarquar.com/2012/06/imagequeen-...
OK its a photoshopped representation but this is what many of their victims see. There are plenty of real pictures and news coverage is available
I've always thought that there were mudering bastards on both sides. Some folks who grow up in war learn to love it. But at some point, in order to stop the carnage, the leaders must learn to shake hands and go home.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Minneapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
My rant was more of a take off of your post rather than an argument.
Affluence can affluence can also make a strong contribution to spreading intolerant social values.
Again, a take off.
Yes. I thought about affluence being a driver for intolerance a half a second after hitting the post button. I suppose it has to do with an "us vs. them" frame of mind. It doesn't matter what side you are on, the other guys are "them".
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

The Dude wrote:
And don't forget Cowboy, you still ain't bothered to deal with this yet:
http://www.topix.com/forum/news/evolution/TCT...
And now you got HTS here who can give you a hand too. And maybe he can answer those questions I'm gonna ask ya later, since you ain't bothered with those for over 2 years.
I'll just link to 'em this time, save me copy-pasting myself.

http://www.topix.com/forum/world/TCTDUMIJ55H2...

Worth noting that was last year.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
You just contradicted yourself. Bigtime.
Uh, no, he did not. That's your job.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm curious. I know the presence of the soul cannot be scientifically proven. It cannot be examined under a microscope, etc. Soul is defined as a person's moral or emotional nature or sense of identity. What do you call that moral or emotional nature or sense of identity? What title do you personally give it?
Personality or character. It will die when our body does.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Still holds true. Note that it also applies to creationists. The only difference is we honestly recognize it as such while evolutionists deny it.
No need to deny it. ERV's are in the present. They are tested in the present. Therefore either we CAN make scientific determinations on historical evidence, or it's not historical evidence but we CAN still make determinations regarding events of the past.

This is why science works. And even the courts don't buy your apologetics for "How do YOU know? Where you THERE?!?" either.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>You have NO IDEA what you're talking about.
Go boom.

Irony meter duz it.

I notice you didn't provide Cowboy the help he needed to deal with ERV's.

It always goes that way...
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text> Atheism equals no morality.
No, strict adherence to theism equals no morality, for reasons already explained.

And subsequently avoided just like everything else.
HTS wrote:
The philosophical consequences of a belief in evolution
1 - Philosophy is irrelevant to the validity of science, period.

2 - Evolution is not atheism, period.
HTS wrote:
can be encapsulated in the following statement by William B Provine, Ph.D., a renowned historian of science and professor at Cornell University
His philosophical opinions are still irrelevant. Repeating them 6 months later doesn't change a thing.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Using the tools of operational science is a good thing and has nothing to do with evolution's attempt to interpret history.
Nice dodge, dodgemeister.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Urban Cowboy wrote:
You misrepresent ideology and history as "science", i.e., you guys are the ones at fault - not us.
Projection.
Mugwump

Manchester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

HTS wrote:
<quoted text>You have NO IDEA what you're talking about.
Talking of which - you ready to back up your claim about how most physicians reject evolution?

You know - just so we know you have ANY IDEA what you are talking about.

Or was I right in my initial assessment that you were making shit up?

Ball is in your court.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
We admit a duality of religion and science. You misrepresent ideology and history as "science", i.e., you guys are the ones at fault - not us.
Hey Urb, what's "non-operational" about any of these tests?

http://www.topix.com/forum/news/evolution/TCT...

Feel free to get your buddy HTS to help you, as he seems to have gone all shy since I showed up.
HTS

South Lake Tahoe, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Go boom.
Irony meter duz it.
I notice you didn't provide Cowboy the help he needed to deal with ERV's.
It always goes that way...
I can't imagine why you'd want to bring up ERV's... The failed junk DNA debacle only further debunks evolution. I didn't reference it only to spare you further embarrassment.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 7 min Chimney1 136,165
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 8 min comment 114,875
Evolution Theory Facing Crisis 26 min The Dude 164
The Satanic Character of Social Darwinism 19 hr Zog Has-fallen 343
Science News (Sep '13) Tue positronium 2,846
Natural Selection Not The Only Process That Dri... (Jan '14) Aug 25 reMAAT 20
Genetic 'Adam' and 'Eve' Uncovered - live science (Sep '13) Aug 25 ChristineM 286
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Evolution Debate People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••