Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 179628 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

“I started out with nothing”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#115594 Jan 31, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Second of all, true Christians, followers of Jesus, have never burned anyone for refusing to join them or misbehaving. This is total lies. Sure, there were brief incidences in history where false, corrupted churches used the cover of religion for their perversions but it is dishonest to make bigoted, blanket statements like that. Dumb too!
Witches?

Inquisitions? Both Spanish and Papal

FYI, The papal inquisition is still a valid, working body in the catholic church, the head of that papal inquisition until elected pope was some guy named Ratzinger

The Calvinists people at the stake for heresy

Lutherans also did, but in there defence, not many -- the Lutheran punishment for "heresy" was more likely imprisonment and torture, where heretics died a slow death rather than a quick one at the stake.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#115595 Jan 31, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
But you also realize that if authorities wanted to know who you were they could locate you easily. There is no anonymity on the Internet. I just hope you don't have any false confidence in thinking you are being secret or anything. I work in the banking regulatory industry and work with the Secret Service and FBI all the time investigating eBanking financial fraud over the Internet. If you are connected, you are known. In fact, it's impossible to be connected and do things like post on Topix without being known to numerous entities.
Second of all, true Christians, followers of Jesus, have never burned anyone for refusing to join them or misbehaving. This is total lies. Sure, there were brief incidences in history where false, corrupted churches used the cover of religion for their perversions but it is dishonest to make bigoted, blanket statements like that. Dumb too!
Its not lies. Christians did that, by the thousands. Whether YOU want to call them real Christians is over to you. And whether YOU want to call the period from 391 AD when the Emperor made paganism illegal and the Great Library of Alexandria was destroyed, to the Salem Witch Trial of 1692 AD a "brief period" is up to you too.

Those maniacs were merely following the parts of the Bible you prefer to gloss over, along with the stuff on how hard you can beat your slaves. Kill the Midianites, kill the Amelokites, kill 'em all!

Level 6

#115596 Jan 31, 2013
Oops – that should have read - The Calvinists burnt people at the stake for heresy

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#115597 Jan 31, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
But you also realize that if authorities wanted to know who you were they could locate you easily. There is no anonymity on the Internet. I just hope you don't have any false confidence in thinking you are being secret or anything. I work in the banking regulatory industry and work with the Secret Service and FBI all the time investigating eBanking financial fraud over the Internet. If you are connected, you are known. In fact, it's impossible to be connected and do things like post on Topix without being known to numerous entities.
Funny. I remember you throwing a hissy fit over this very thing not too long ago.
Elohim

Branford, CT

#115598 Jan 31, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>

Spanish Inquisition anyone? Witch Trials and torture and executions? The Troubles in Ireland? True believers one and all.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#115599 Jan 31, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
Second of all, true Christians....
Oh, and before my statements about witches and the Great Library are misconstrued, let me be perfectly clear.

It was not Christianity, per se, that was responsible. It was dogmatism.

The same dogmatism that led to Nazis, and Communists, and every unspeakable evil.

However, Christianity, Nazism, and Communism all share the same problematic tendency to lead their followers into dogmatism, asking them to surrender their own judgement to a "greater one" whether supernatural or human. Its amazing to me how people have the tendency to do just that. Do you realise its just not necessary?

The cure is a rational skeptic mind. That is - the opposite of faith.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#115600 Jan 31, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
A bit hypocritical? You're afraid to reveal anything about yourself.

Whatever, John.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#115601 Jan 31, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
The huge gap between vertebrates and invertebrates continues. The missing links are still missing even though soft tissue can be fossilized. Invertebrates have always been the same throughout the supposed "geologic history" (with the possibility of extinction.) Invertebrates are amazingly sophisticated and complete wherever they are found. The Creator designed invertebrates with a complexity that is clearly seen.

Boy, still looking for the gap to insert your micro version of God.

I am glad my god does not need this sort of first-aid from his creation.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#115602 Jan 31, 2013
One way or another wrote:
The deceitful child ignored the following, as if I didn't say it and then the deceitful child changed the wording, but not the meaning to use against me. My original piece included the following,-----
However, all the above is dependent on the Hypothesis,---that each galaxy is traveling at the same speed and or in the same direction. Science has no way of knowing.
Other galaxies might be traveling faster than ours and or in a slightly different direction, which will make the shift look red.

All this shows it that you don't have the first clue as to what you are talking about.

Why not read a book FIRST? THEN claim to know things. It works better that way.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#115603 Jan 31, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I suggest you look in the mirror and consider the Carl Sagan quote “This is what hydrogen atoms can accomplish after 13.7 billion years of evolution”

Very nice!

Level 6

#115604 Jan 31, 2013
Elohim wrote:
<quoted text>Spanish Inquisition anyone? Witch Trials and torture and executions? The Troubles in Ireland? True believers one and all.
I did not mention the Irish trouble having been caught up in the Manchester bombing I considered I may be a little biased

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#115605 Jan 31, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>

Actually, the Gnostics were persecuted and killed and their books burned.

"It may truly be said that the blackest and bloodiest records that history can show us are the attacks of the Orthodox Church upon the Gnostic mystics."

(Frances Swiney, quoted by Lloyd M. Graham in Myths & Deceptions of the Bible, p.446, pub. A.D. 1991)
Urban Cowboy

Arlington, VA

#115606 Jan 31, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Its not lies. Christians did that, by the thousands. Whether YOU want to call them real Christians is over to you. And whether YOU want to call the period from 391 AD when the Emperor made paganism illegal and the Great Library of Alexandria was destroyed, to the Salem Witch Trial of 1692 AD a "brief period" is up to you too.
Those maniacs were merely following the parts of the Bible you prefer to gloss over, along with the stuff on how hard you can beat your slaves. Kill the Midianites, kill the Amelokites, kill 'em all!
You are out of your mind. You are comparing a few thousand deaths by corrupt religious leaders vs. 100s of millions of deaths by atheists. No comparison. You atheists continue to this day slaughtering innocent unborn children. And now you have euthanasia and soon you will kill anyone deemed unfit. You are nothing but lies and death continually.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Since: Jul 09

Minneapolis

#115607 Jan 31, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
...And true human beings of all nations and creeds have always been against war and violence of any kind.
Urban Cowboy

Arlington, VA

#115608 Jan 31, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Another example of how you constantly employ double standards to support your arguments.
If I recall a few weeks ago you were claiming ToE was 'evil' as Hitler used it as a justification for genocide (your argument was baseless but we can ignore that for now)
It was pointed out that even if it were true - it dosent mean ToE was 'evil' or wrong - just that it was misunderstood / misapplied.
A subtlety that you ignored - yet here you are using exactly the same argument for Christianity
Why do YECs lack consistency so much?
Why are you raising this issue? My position on this hasn't changed. Both evolution and religion can be corrupted. I am just saying the extent to cause of killing is much, much greater with atheism and evolution and continues to accelerate. For example, abortion is legal in many countries and babies are slaughtered for convenience. Euthanasia is legal in many countries and people are murdered for convenience. What example is there today where Christians are killing people? There are none. From Hitler, Pol Pot, Mussilini, Stalin killed millions and their are 1 million unborn children killed in the U.S. annually due to rejecting God. This is bloody slaughter on an epic scale today. Yes, back in history there have been cases of evil people perverting the church and using a corrupted version of religion as an excuse to kill - what - a few thousand souls over all of history? Compared to hundreds of millions at the savage hands of souless atheists continuing on today by the millions. You have no argument.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Minneapolis

#115609 Jan 31, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Another example of how you constantly employ double standards to support your arguments.
If I recall a few weeks ago you were claiming ToE was 'evil' as Hitler used it as a justification for genocide (your argument was baseless but we can ignore that for now)
It was pointed out that even if it were true - it dosent mean ToE was 'evil' or wrong - just that it was misunderstood / misapplied.
A subtlety that you ignored - yet here you are using exactly the same argument for Christianity
Why do YECs lack consistency so much?
UC has backed off the claim that Darwin was responsible for justifying Hitler's philosophy. As I recall, he now concedes that Hitler corrupted both the catholic religion and Darwin's personal philosophy for his own ends.
Urban Cowboy

Arlington, VA

#115610 Jan 31, 2013
Whenever I try to discuss evolution of say, invertebrates, the evolutionists immediately turn to Christian-bashing. Figures.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Minneapolis

#115611 Jan 31, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
You are out of your mind. You are comparing a few thousand deaths by corrupt religious leaders vs. 100s of millions of deaths by atheists. No comparison. You atheists continue to this day slaughtering innocent unborn children. And now you have euthanasia and soon you will kill anyone deemed unfit. You are nothing but lies and death continually.
All true atheists are peaceful, believing that everyone is equal under the law.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#115612 Jan 31, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>

Wow. Apples vs. port Jackson dog fish argument.

In your mind anyone who will killed by someone who you believe to be an atheist counts against the atheists, but only specific "corrupt religious leaders" count against Christians. That is very misleading. Don't you see how you are warping the data?

If you include ALL (self proclaimed) atheists who have committed murder then you have to include ALL (self proclaimed) Christians who have committed murder.

However, how many of the Christians killed in the name of god and how many atheists killed in the name of 'not-god'?

Neca eos omnes! Deus suos agnoscet.
http://www.christianitytoday.com/ch/news/2000...

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#115613 Jan 31, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are you raising this issue? My position on this hasn't changed. Both evolution and religion can be corrupted.

Science (evolution) can be corrupted, but with the scientific method it is impossible for it to stay that way for very long. And the turn around time between a perpetuated fraud (or simple mistake) in science and its discovery is getting shorter all the time. Scientific frauds/errors are refuted often within weeks of publication. It took decades to uncover the truth about piltdown man, but Genetic Entropy was refuted before the book was even released!
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text> What example is there today where Christians are killing people? There are none.

Are you kidding me?

Ask an extremist Muslim in Afghanistan if there are Christians killing people. You will not get the answer you want.
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text> From Hitler

Like it or not, he was one of ours. Denying it does not make it untrue.
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>Pol Pot, Mussilini, Stalin killed millions

For religious reasons? Or for ethnicity, politics and other beliefs?
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text> and their are 1 million unborn children killed in the U.S. annually due to rejecting God.

Gee, I thought this was from abortions. I did not know a fetus could reject God.
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text> You have no argument.

It would seem that it is YOU that has no argument.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 8 min renee 30,961
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 22 min ChristineM 13,143
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 36 min Igor Trip 197,183
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 2 hr Chimney1 150,887
Another "gap" gets closed 3 hr MIDutch 1
Christianity and why its wrong + evolution debates May 21 Zog Has-fallen 15
Are Asians/whites more evolved? (Sep '07) May 17 Bkd 1,746
More from around the web