Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 | Posted by: Cash | Full story: www.scientificblogging.com

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Comments (Page 5,622)

Showing posts 112,421 - 112,440 of171,372
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

One way or another wrote:
Coming depression aftershock

Ya know how I've always been projecting doom and gloom for our economy, well children, its gonna get much worse. The housing market will keep falling, the stock market will crash again and we will suffer another depression, much much deeper than the last Great Depression.

It will happen within 1 to 5 years.

http://w3.newsmax.com/a/aftershockb/video47a....
Is it time again for you to take your meds?

“That's just MY opinion...”

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Urban Cowboy wrote:
The record indicates that any particular species has always been the same species. From whatever layer you find a fossil of it to the time it went extinct or until present day. This simple fact negates all your dream-weaving stories.
Then it's odd that no species existing in the fossil record exists now and no species that exists now appears in the fossil record (unless you're using some goofy Creationist definition of "species").
Urban Cowboy wrote:
And then you have actual observable science. Still there is no clear-cut example of any organism changing into something different than what it is. Only variations on a common theme.
Organisms don't evolve individually and the variations within populations are the raw material that feeds the Evolutionary process.
Urban Cowboy wrote:
Common design by a common designer is what is obviously the case. There are several generic design concepts that have been slightly modified for variety. There is no evidence at all that any particular specific design changed its basic form just due to the passage of time. Plus you have all the genetic controls for error correction and maintenance to prevent this from happening. Plus you have genetic entropy and accumulating deleteriuos mutations working against change.
If you have "all the genetic controls for error correction and maintenance to prevent this from happening", how can the Genome be continually degraded by "genetic entropy and accumulating deleteriuos mutations"?
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

If you children can refute what I write, I'll stop writing it. You keep lying, claiming you already did, but that's all ya got.
The science of running by Jim Ryan.
Yes, I used to run 10 miles a day for about 2 years. For whatever reason, I started counting a cadence in my head, that matched the cadence of my footfalls and my breathing, which synced body and mind, helping me to get into a trance like state, allowing me to run mile after mile without stress and the last mile I could run almost flat out.
I know they teach different things today, but give my method a try, I think you'll like it. By the way, keep your eyes focused just in front of you, on the ground.
The cadence in running I used to use was, "one two three one", " one two three two", "one two three three", and keep going.
It's a 4 count breathing in and then a 4 count breathing out.
Happy running.
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

Come on children, get a brain.
Spin electron rate earth gravity
Original work
By Jim Ryan
Supported by evidence
EDEE!
As everything is connected to everything and everyone, so too must earths spin and rotational rates, as well as electromagnetism and gravity.
From my perspective at this time, the reason science does not understand electromagnetisim or gravity, is because science cannot measure spin rate in electrons, so as to compare with the spin rate of the
Electrons in our bodies-- as a reason we do not feel the spinning of the earth and more.
The possibility exists that electrons spin correlates to either the earths spin rate on its axis, the rotational rate around our barycenter or possibly a combination.
If science were to use earths spin rate first, in doing test within the electromagnetic field, it may reveal much more. Do the electrons in our bodies spin at 1000 miles per hour and is that the reason we don't feel the earth spinning as it does?

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

One way or another wrote:
Coming depression aftershock
Ya know how I've always been projecting doom and gloom for our economy, well children, its gonna get much worse. The housing market will keep falling, the stock market will crash again and we will suffer another depression, much much deeper than the last Great Depression.
It will happen within 1 to 5 years.
http://w3.newsmax.com/a/aftershockb/video47a....

Gullible people believe anything.
Mugwump

London, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you noticed how he has all but given up with actually engaging in discussion now ?

I have asked him 4 times (my limit) to post what he thinks is his best 'new science' and we can discuss it rationally - the fact that he just goes into 'spamalot' mode suggests that maybe he knows he can't defend any of it.

In some ways this is maybe a pointer that he is'nt completly 'gone' and has some self awareness

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>Gullible people believe anything.
true dat

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
I am the one being objective here! Yes, we observe diversity within species. No, evolution doesn't explain it; in fact, diversity exists in spite of evolution! In every single case, the organism was found as it always is found. You'd think this would be a clue.
Hey, Urban, how you doing.

I see you are still arguing that magic is the best explanation of the diversity of life on earth. Though it is an attractive hypothesis for its simplemindedness I just don't find it to be a very satisfying explanation.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Since: Jul 09

Minneapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
You are the one being objective here???????
You caused me to spew my Diet Coke all over the place.
Not one single organism is unchanged over evolutionary time period. Even "living fossils" are significantly different from their ancestors in the fossil record.
You'd think this would be a clue.
Be patient. UC is taking classes in biology. He hasn't yet gotten to the chapter on reproduction, where it explains that every generation of each species produces near (but not exactly the same) copies of the parent generation. At some point it will hit him that, OMG, macroevolution is just lots and lots and lots of microevolution.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Minneapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
The record indicates that any particular species has always been the same species.
So you are saying that humans should still be classified as H. erectus?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Y'all wouldn't strain at a gnat and swallow a camel would ya?

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Minneapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

01Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Splitting hairs? lol Ya don't say!
Well ya, I'd call it splitting hairs. It seems to me that Jimbo is just hoping to convince people that he is so smart that Newton and Einstein would be impressed with his grand vision. He hopes to deflect people from seeing the poverty of knowledge that he feels is inside him. Dogan would contend that Jimbo has actually succeeded in fooling himself. Only Jimbo can say for sure.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Lakeland, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Anything is possible if you don't know what you're talking about.- Chip Todd

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Minneapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you noticed how he has all but given up with actually engaging in discussion now ?
I have asked him 4 times (my limit) to post what he thinks is his best 'new science' and we can discuss it rationally - the fact that he just goes into 'spamalot' mode suggests that maybe he knows he can't defend any of it.
In some ways this is maybe a pointer that he is'nt completly 'gone' and has some self awareness
Bingo!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>Well ya, I'd call it splitting hairs. It seems to me that Jimbo is just hoping to convince people that he is so smart that Newton and Einstein would be impressed with his grand vision. He hopes to deflect people from seeing the poverty of knowledge that he feels is inside him. Dogan would contend that Jimbo has actually succeeded in fooling himself. Only Jimbo can say for sure.
Ha Nerd King: There can only be one.
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

Will

Mid Atlantic mountains width

Original work
By Jim Ryan
Supported by evidence

I told you children to be aware of a game of chess. I kept you looking in one place, making you feel comfortable and getting you to do exactly what you did, thanks.

Now children, ask yourselves, how wide are the mountains at the mid Atlantic ridge? They surely aren't 67,500 miles wide
The width of the mountains should equal the movement of those plates and science claims that in one million years, the plates lose approximately 15 miles, so if the earth is 4.5 billion years old and one million divided into 4.5 billion is 4500, then multiply 15times 4500, which equals 67,500 miles of lost plate. The width of the mountains at the mid atl ridge is minuscule, so please explain how that can be, when the width of the mountain range should be, 67,500. as the mountain range is the only place that shows the addition of material.

Mugwump

London, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Has anyone noticed that some of Jimbos new science has a SEEMINGLY random word at the top.

I am thinking if we can decipher the code - it could be the pass phrase into Narnia.

To be fair it is more likely to be a rearrangement of the following words

Delusional
Realise
F$&kwit
I
Am
A
I

But what do I know - I am not typing this on my diamond encrusted Ipad as I sit on a throne of gold made from my millions from pet psychology last year.
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

Right

Seeing back in time

Original work
By Jim Ryan
Supported by evidence

Science claims we are seeing back into time, some 14 billion years ago. Science claims that we can see that far back in time, because the light from those distant worlds and galaxies have been traveling here for those billions of years and that by such, we are looking back in time. That simply cannot be, according to science.

Simple light cannot carry images of those far off worlds and galaxies to our telescopes, meaning, our telescopes see out to that light, illuminating those entities, disproving relativity, gravitational lensing and light theory.

That's why I said, light cannot carry images of those worlds and galaxies, meaning, if their light speed and theory were true, we could see the light, but not the worlds or galaxies, because images cannot be carried on light.

former CIA Director, William Casey,“We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believes is false.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

For Aslan!

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Lakeland, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

I think Jimbozo is lying about making it to the 10th grade.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 112,421 - 112,440 of171,372
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••