Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 178597 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

Alen

Kansas City, MO

#115291 Jan 26, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
We still don't give a crud about your little green/grey men.
Dude, we just want answers. The craft may have been God on roids, a reversed alien engineered craft or THEMS the little GG men. If it was God, why didn't he greet us and wish us peace on earth. Instead he put us to sleep. If it was a reversed engineered govt craft why were they out in the middle of BFE.....testing? Because if they were also trying the reversed engineered ESPA or Energized Sleep Pattern Analizer.....it works. Or, if it was indeed those little green/gray men....no worries. They have all the power to do whatever whenever to the primitive life on this rock.......Dude we know what we saw,we just dont know who they were or why they were there, like it or not.
One way or another

United States

#115292 Jan 26, 2013
I mainly speak to the group of children, as the children they act like, but on occasion I do try to speak to one at a time. However, I don't bother speaking to the most deceitful. What they say is less than nothing.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#115293 Jan 26, 2013
Alen wrote:
<quoted text>Dude, we just want answers. The craft may have been God on roids, a reversed alien engineered craft or THEMS the little GG men. If it was God, why didn't he greet us and wish us peace on earth. Instead he put us to sleep. If it was a reversed engineered govt craft why were they out in the middle of BFE.....testing? Because if they were also trying the reversed engineered ESPA or Energized Sleep Pattern Analizer.....it works. Or, if it was indeed those little green/gray men....no worries. They have all the power to do whatever whenever to the primitive life on this rock.......Dude we know what we saw,we just dont know who they were or why they were there, like it or not.
Yes we do know. You are manic and your synapses are over active producing experiences that never happened. Take your meds.
Mugwump

Manchester, UK

#115294 Jan 26, 2013
One way or another wrote:
I mainly speak to the group of children, as the children they act like, but on occasion I do try to speak to one at a time. However, I don't bother speaking to the most deceitful. What they say is less than nothing.
Whatever
Alien Outlaw

Kansas City, MO

#115295 Jan 26, 2013
Oogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes we do know. You are manic and your synapses are over active producing experiences that never happened. Take your meds.
OB Wan Kenobi, your primitive human animal comments were expected. Your either the 99% that believe the God story that is total outdated or the intelliegent 1% that knows we are not alone!Take your pick OB Wan.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#115296 Jan 27, 2013
<quoted text>
Yea moron, that's why radio waves can move through walls and light can't.
There is no vacuum in space moron
Space is not a vacuum.
Science claims space is a vacuum
Really? Is a glass wall a wall? Does light go through it? The reality is, that some wavelengths of EM radiation are stopped by some materials, and other wavelengths pass through those materials.

None of which has anything to do with the speed of EM radiation (light, radio, microwave, x-rays, gamma rays) in a vacuum.

What is a vacuum, according to science today? It is a region devoid of ordinary matter - solids, liquids, gases, plasma - made of ordinary atoms and molecules.

It may be permeated with dark energy, dark matter, and virtual particles, not to mention a large flow of neutrinos and other photons (EM radiation). However, it is still a vacuum as far as light is concerned and the speed of light is still approximately 300,000 km / second in that medium, WHATEVER science has DISCOVERED might exist within such a region.
One way or another

United States

#115297 Jan 27, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? Is a glass wall a wall? Does light go through it? The reality is, that some wavelengths of EM radiation are stopped by some materials, and other wavelengths pass through those materials.
None of which has anything to do with the speed of EM radiation (light, radio, microwave, x-rays, gamma rays) in a vacuum.
What is a vacuum, according to science today? It is a region devoid of ordinary matter - solids, liquids, gases, plasma - made of ordinary atoms and molecules.
It may be permeated with dark energy, dark matter, and virtual particles, not to mention a large flow of neutrinos and other photons (EM radiation). However, it is still a vacuum as far as light is concerned and the speed of light is still approximately 300,000 km / second in that medium, WHATEVER science has DISCOVERED might exist within such a region.
Yea, we can see all those glass walls in space now. Since deceit is all you have, no one can expect anything different. As a side note, true about glass walls and good thinking.

Science claims dark matter and says space is filled with it. Science doesn't say it has no substance, that it is without mass, that it is translucent or invisible.

YOU make the claim of dark matter that allows light to pass through it. Only a deceitful idiot would make such a claim, when science does not.

Then Spain the following Lucy!

To have star nurseries,--plural, as science claims and it takes dust beyond measure almost, to create a star, never mind many stars in many nurseries, as science claims, science contradicts itself terribly, while all scientist must be stupid or stoned, not to point it out to science as a whole.
One way or another

United States

#115298 Jan 27, 2013
Science could have done a great many light tests in space via probes, but it hasn't.
One way or another

United States

#115299 Jan 27, 2013
Science did one lousy light test to the moon and back, which defined nothing and no corroboration from other countries.
Mugwump

Manchester, UK

#115300 Jan 27, 2013
Does Jim think the ONLY measurement of the speed of light is the ones done with the moon reflectors (that aren't there of course because man never landed on the moon - according to him)

No point asking him as never get a rational response - but hoping someone else can decipher what he is waffling about.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Since: Jul 09

Minneapolis

#115301 Jan 27, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll pass on that bet ... thus the minimal investment in my response to him.
When he first appeared on Topix as Carpet Whisperer, he played even dumber than his current version. He made lots of intentional spelling and grammar errors. At the time I thought he was someone's sock puppet, hiding behind fake-dumb. It turned out that he was just hiding for other than sock puppet reasons. Eventually his spelling and grammar evolved miraculously to within the normal range.

At any rate, there isn't any reason to respond to his nonsense. It seems that he gets a charge out of dismissing everyone's attempts to correct him. He is fixated on attempting to prove that he is an adult among children.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Since: Jul 09

Minneapolis

#115302 Jan 27, 2013
Alien Outlaw wrote:
<quoted text>OB Wan Kenobi, your primitive human animal comments were expected. Your either the 99% that believe the God story that is total outdated or the intelliegent 1% that knows we are not alone!Take your pick OB Wan.
"None of the above" is a better choice.
Alien Outlaw

Kansas City, MO

#115303 Jan 27, 2013
appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>
"None of the above" is a better choice.
Dont be scared Appleboy, they visit to check on the condition of the life on this floating petri dish you call home. I dont expect you to believe, that was never my intention. They planted the God seed and it worked, is working. Humans will never understand.
LowellGuy

United States

#115304 Jan 27, 2013
Science did one lousy light test to the moon and back, which defined nothing and no corroboration from other countries.
Actually, the experiment is often part of the curricula for astronomy and physics at the university level.
LowellGuy

United States

#115305 Jan 27, 2013
Alien Outlaw wrote:
<quoted text>Dont be scared Appleboy, they visit to check on the condition of the life on this floating petri dish you call home. I dont expect you to believe, that was never my intention. They planted the God seed and it worked, is working. Humans will never understand.
Until you can demonstrate for all one way or the other with empirical evidence (read: not merely stories), "we don't know" is the only honest and correct answer.
LowellGuy

United States

#115306 Jan 27, 2013
Alien Outlaw wrote:
<quoted text>Dont be scared Appleboy, they visit to check on the condition of the life on this floating petri dish you call home. I dont expect you to believe, that was never my intention. They planted the God seed and it worked, is working. Humans will never understand.
But, you claim to understand, and if humans will never understand, then you are not human, so you must be one of the aliens!
LowellGuy

United States

#115307 Jan 27, 2013
Science could have done a great many light tests in space via probes, but it hasn't.
Why don't they ever consult psychologically unstable anti-Semitic high school dropout carpet layers about about how to do proper science? Is it because the Jews control science around the world?
Alien Outlaw

Kansas City, MO

#115308 Jan 27, 2013
Lowell Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
But, you claim to understand, and if humans will never understand, then you are not human, so you must be one of the aliens!
The top 1% of humans who have studied evidence, can analyze and understand that the God story does not make sense. My experiences happened, without question. We still don't know who or what it/they were. But, through those encounters we have concluded it was a probe. Was it being flown by or just controlled by intelligent life, don't know,that happened in 1989. In 1993, the MIB moment was incredible. Two individuals, looked exactly alike. Dressed the same, same hair style, same clothes, same everything.By the way in was on a govt base. I watched them park, walk up the sidewalk. Than a knock at the door. I remember thinking, I didn't want to answer the door. Its like something made me answer the door, I opened it and their they were, I saw them for a split second. Next thing I knew I was at the window again watching them walk away and drive off. It was freaky, not my first encounter, So, I analyzed the event and concluded, nothing. Others have said because it worked closely with nukes (They) will check up on us once in awile......ok?
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#115309 Jan 27, 2013
Alen wrote:
<quoted text>Dude, we just want answers. The craft may have been God on roids, a reversed alien engineered craft or THEMS the little GG men.
More likely it was just a washing up tube on string.(shrug)
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#115310 Jan 27, 2013
The children have never once brought any new thinking to anything, much less science, but they can always talk like the childish clique they choose to be, never standing on their own two feet, but hey, that's what they teach in schools.
The teachers teach that. Students just do as they see their elders do.
I notice you are loud with BS but quite on substance. I take it then we can all agree that evolution has been demonstrated beyond all *reasonable* doubt?

Yes, we know you're not reasonable, but we don't care.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 3 min Subduction Zone 163,615
How can we prove God exists, or does not? 1 hr MikeF 75
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 17 hr Chimney1 141,315
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) Tue Kathleen 19,031
News Darwin on the rocks (Sep '14) May 18 MADRONE 1,870
Science News NOT related to evolution (Jul '09) May 15 emrenil 1,243
god is not real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Jun '06) May 15 MikeF 13,700
More from around the web