Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 | Posted by: Cash | Full story: www.scientificblogging.com

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."
Comments
112,201 - 112,220 of 172,497 Comments Last updated 9 hrs ago

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#115214 Jan 25, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text> "science" is not "evolution".

True, but evolution is science.

Actually, the theory of evolution is the most materially supported theory in the entire history of science. That is why it has stood up so well to nearly 160 years of scientific and lay scrutiny.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#115215 Jan 25, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>
None of your assumed laws that created and diversified life have been proven to exist.
Your definition of "natural law" is any speculation made by intellectuals that excludes intelligent design. Who are you to assume that God doesn't exist and doesn't comply with natural law?

Intelligent design is not science. ID has no supporting evidence. ID has no theory. ID has proposed no working hypothesis. ID has no support in the scientific community. ID makes no coherent and testable predictions. ID is not observable.

Evolution, however, is all of those things.
HTS

Williston, ND

#115216 Jan 25, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Your posts are filled with scientific mythconceptions and logical fallacies. You are very emotional and your posts are rife with emotionalism. But here logic and education are more persuasive. Please try to learn something of science before trying to debunk it.
Thanks.
What misconceptions and logical fallacies? You are obviously a total stranger to experimental science if you think evolution remotely qualifies as science.
HTS

Williston, ND

#115217 Jan 25, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Where do you get this nonsense? It is absolutely nutty.
You have never taken a college level science class in your life, have you?
How about four years of medical school?
HTS

Williston, ND

#115218 Jan 25, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
True, but evolution is science.
Actually, the theory of evolution is the most materially supported theory in the entire history of science. That is why it has stood up so well to nearly 160 years of scientific and lay scrutiny.
m
Materially supported? What a joke... Evolution is entirely irrelevant to experimental science and is founded solely on man's imagination.
HTS

Williston, ND

#115219 Jan 25, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
This is just nonsense. You have an opinion and are on the job. If you don't understand the science then you just need to read about it. Not make it up or copy unsound notions from creationist sites.
Dogen... Your insecurity is transparent. I have obviously assaulted your atheistic religion, and I understand your pathetic attempts to justify your amoral worldview with science.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#115220 Jan 25, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>How about four years of medical school?
Couldn't pass the graduation exams huh? Not surprising to me. Perhaps it was because you were home schooled and self taught??
Mugwump

Manchester, UK

#115221 Jan 25, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Dogen... Your insecurity is transparent. I have obviously assaulted your atheistic religion, and I understand your pathetic attempts to justify your amoral worldview with science.
Still dodging my question, it's obvious you can't defend your argument about how evolution is dependent on abiogenisis so let's move on to your argument about how evolution is a atheistic construct.

Hey - waddya know - i can use the same post from before (killing two birds with one piece of logic as it were)- how cool is that ?

Dodge away.
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Rubbish - but will give you a chance to back up your claim, consider the following 2 scenarios
A) God created the first life form (say a self replicating molecule), then used the process of evolution to diversify over the next 3-4 billion years
B) a particular set of conditions (as yet unknown) allowed a molecule to self-replicated the the process of evolution diversified life over the next 3-4 billion years.
Question : how would you refute the Scenerio B (with respect to evolution) without refuting Scenerio A)
Forget HOW life started, concentrate on the diversification part.
If you can't - your claim about how 'Darwinism' is wrong without abiogenisis is baseless.
Rational answers will be discussed.
BS will be ridiculed
Ready , set , go !
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#115222 Jan 25, 2013
HTS wrote:
Let us know when you start.(shrug)
nemesis

Kansas City, MO

#115223 Jan 25, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>I know you are out there. Way out there.
Im not the one praying and talking to a ghost. Futher out there.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#115224 Jan 25, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>m
Materially supported? What a joke... Evolution is entirely irrelevant to experimental science and is founded solely on man's imagination.
In that case you should have no problem addressing it then:

http://www.topix.com/forum/news/evolution/TCT...
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#115225 Jan 25, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Dogen... Your insecurity is transparent. I have obviously assaulted your atheistic religion, and I understand your pathetic attempts to justify your amoral worldview with science.
What does atheism have to do with anything? Unless of course you happen to reject evolution because you think Goddidit with magic?
Adam and Steve

Kansas City, MO

#115226 Jan 25, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
What does atheism have to do with anything? Unless of course you happen to reject evolution because you think Goddidit with magic?
2 questions: 1)Are we alone in the universe? and 2)Is the God/Jesus story true or a fable?
Mugwump

Manchester, UK

#115227 Jan 25, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
In that case you should have no problem addressing it then:
http://www.topix.com/forum/news/evolution/TCT...
HTS - is a typical creationist

posting arguments that he has read on DI/AIG etc but not really understood

When asked to back up his assertions he just ignores it and carries on posting the same stuff

Bit tedious really, at least UC will follow it through to an extent
Mugwump

Manchester, UK

#115228 Jan 25, 2013
Adam and Steve wrote:
<quoted text>2 questions: 1)Are we alone in the universe? and 2)Is the God/Jesus story true or a fable?
1) probably not
2) can't be proved either way, but as there is no evidence to support it - can replace 'God/Jesus' with Flying Spaghetti Monster and ask the same question.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#115229 Jan 25, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Evolution is not remotely "science". It is a metaphysical paradigm founded on an a priori rejection of intelligent design. Nothing in the world of experimental biology has any relevancy to evolution whatsoever.
Thanks for admitting that you are an idiot.

Now if you would like to know how evolution is science and I would be more than happy to help an idiot even as foolish as you are.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#115230 Jan 25, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>What misconceptions and logical fallacies? You are obviously a total stranger to experimental science if you think evolution remotely qualifies as science.

I have a MS in Science and have one published research paper. I have taught science at the undergraduate level and have been a science junkie since about age 8. I bet I know a good deal more about the the scientific method, reading and critiquing research and the philosophy of science than you do.

From the content of your posts I expect most H.S. graduates know much more about science than you do (or at least should if they graduated).

One way or another

United States

#115231 Jan 25, 2013
Evolutionist scientists like congress, lie their asses off for grants and their paychecks.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#115232 Jan 25, 2013
HTS wrote:

Sorry, but medicine is mostly an applied science. If you want to learn about how research is done you better go back and get a Ph.D. But even an MD SHOULD know how to read a research paper, and this you apparently don't.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#115233 Jan 25, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>m

I used that word because that makes it a fact. There is more material evidence for evolution than any other science.

There are also few areas of science that have as many independent lines of supporting evidence from as many different areas of scientific study as evolution.

Evolution is observable and has been observed.
Evolution is testable and has been tested.
Evolution is falsifiable but has never been falsified.
Evolution can and does make successful predictions.

That is pretty much the DEFINITION of science. You can get upset about it, but that means little. Facts are facts.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 3 min ChristineM 115,131
Evolution Theory Facing Crisis 7 min The Dude 176
Genetic 'Adam' and 'Eve' Uncovered - live science (Sep '13) 21 min ChristineM 300
It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 9 hr TurkanaBoy 136,241
Science News (Sep '13) 19 hr positronium 2,848
The Satanic Character of Social Darwinism Wed Zog Has-fallen 343
Natural Selection Not The Only Process That Dri... (Jan '14) Aug 25 reMAAT 20
When Will Evolutionists Confess Their Atheistic... (Feb '14) Aug 14 The Dude 1,831
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Evolution Debate People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••