Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 Full story: www.scientificblogging.com 173,833

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand." Full Story

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#115113 Jan 25, 2013
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Ted, I see you're still on this forum, mindlessly parroting the same regurgitated athetist BS. Those who believe that "science" should be restricted to naturalistic causes are attempting to secure evolution from falsification... the antithesis of science.

LOL. Nice parody of a mindless creotard.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Dubai, UAE

#115114 Jan 25, 2013
One way or another wrote:
Give
Test/ speed of light theory
More new science by Jim Ryan
If science really wanted to test speed of light theory, science could add a simple laser light to any of its probes and when the probe got say a million miles away from earth, it could send its laser light back to earth, one aimed at American collectors one at Russian collectors and one at another countries collectors, unless science is afraid to know the truth.
How is it that not one scientist in the whole world thought of such already? Are they all morons or does science just not want to know?
Probes already HAVE "light" emitters. They are called radio transponders. If you knew the first thing about what you are talking about, you would know that visible light and radio waves are merely different wavelengths of the SAME thing - electromagnetic radiation, and it all travels at the same speed through a vacuum.

Thought you should know, since science has known for the last 150 years give or take.

“I have upset the hand of god”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Threats pending

#115115 Jan 25, 2013
nemesis wrote:
<quoted text>Good one! Wrong quess. Try again. This time think....On second thought, Dan go read the Bible and bow your head, you really dont want to know whats out there......it aint God!
I know you are out there. Way out there.

Level 9

Threats pending

#115116 Jan 25, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Heh...you called him "puke."
I wondered if anyone would catch that?
One way or another

United States

#115117 Jan 25, 2013
The following is the original definition of a varve. Look how thick those varves are, compared to what and how thin science is claiming varves to be, as it chooses in its deceit.

http://formontana.net/varveshand.jpg

Level 9

Threats pending

#115118 Jan 25, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
One Way Or Another, aka Pet Whisperer, aka Carpet Whisperer, aka Psychology, aka Jim Ryan, aka resident legitimately batshit insane loon.
OK, I get it. Jim Ryan is alledgedly his real name I suppose. I never did catch why CW (Jim) was anti-science. Is it a symptom of his larger pathology or did he get injured in a bizarre chemistry set accident as a child?
One way or another

United States

#115119 Jan 25, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Probes already HAVE "light" emitters. They are called radio transponders. If you knew the first thing about what you are talking about, you would know that visible light and radio waves are merely different wavelengths of the SAME thing - electromagnetic radiation, and it all travels at the same speed through a vacuum.
Thought you should know, since science has known for the last 150 years give or take.
Yea moron, that's why radio waves can move through walls and light can't.

There is no vacuum in space moron

Space is not a vacuum.

Science claims space is a vacuum

New science by Jim Ryan

The speed of light test done in a vacuum over 20 miles is total BS, because man can achieve a totally closed and complete vacuum, while space cannot. It has trillions of tons of dust, if you believe in star nurseries, as science claims, coupled with billions of miles of gas clouds, trillions of tons of plasma, from the billions of suns and their ejections, trillions of tons of cosmic rays that all tend to divert and break up light, from as close as the moon, as science proves.

There is no vacuum in space, the kind that man can bring about on earth, ENTIRELY DEVOID of matter, because that is the only way that test could show light traveling at 186,00 miles per second.

Trillions of tons of matter is all through out space, according to science.

How is it scientists are too stupid to understand that there is no vacuum in space?

vacuum[ vak-yoom,-yoo-uh&#8201;m,- yuh&#8201;m ]
noun
1. a space entirely devoid of matter.
2. an enclosed space from which matter, especially air, has been partially removed so that the matter or gas remaining in the space exerts less pressure than the atmosphere (plenum).
3. the state or degree of exhaustion in such an enclosed space.

To have star nurseries,--plural, as science claims and it takes dust beyond measure almost, to create a star, never mind many stars in many nurseries, as science claims, science contradicts itself terribly, while all scientist must be stupid or stoned, not to point it out to science as a whole.

The following is for all you idiot scientists and the morons that believe you. Read the last line carefully.

MISSING DARK MATTER LOCATED - INTER-GALACTIC SPACE IS FILLED WITH DARK MATTER

On many science web sites, science claims there is almost no matter in space. Science lies constantly

Researchers at IPMU and Nagoya University used large-scale computer simulations and recent observational data of gravitational lensing to reveal how dark matter is distributed around galaxies.

Galaxies have no definite "edges", the new research concludes. Instead galaxies have long outskirts of dark matter that extend to their nearby galaxies; the inter-galactic space is not empty but filled with dark matter.

http://www.ipmu.jp/node/1222

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#115121 Jan 25, 2013
Give
Test/ speed of light theory
More new science by Jim Ryan
If science really wanted to test speed of light theory, science could add a simple laser light to any of its probes and when the probe got say a million miles away from earth, it could send its laser light back to earth, one aimed at American collectors one at Russian collectors and one at another countries collectors, unless science is afraid to know the truth.
How is it that not one scientist in the whole world thought of such already? Are they all morons or does science just not want to know?
Jim, two questions.

To calculate the speed of light using your above method, you would have to know (a) the exact distance between the probe and instrument(s) where the light signal would be received,

and

(b) exactly when the light was emitted from the probe.

(a) How do you propose we measure this distance, a measuring tape?

(b) You'll answer you send a signal to tell the probe to fire the laser at the earth, right? Well, since the signal we sent would ALSO be travelling at the speed of light (which you say we don't know), how can we trust the time calculation?
One way or another

United States

#115122 Jan 25, 2013
The Evo morons can't even define natural, as in natural selection and neither can science, because there is no such a thing.
One way or another

United States

#115123 Jan 25, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Jim, two questions.
To calculate the speed of light using your above method, you would have to know (a) the exact distance between the probe and instrument(s) where the light signal would be received,
and
(b) exactly when the light was emitted from the probe.
(a) How do you propose we measure this distance, a measuring tape?
(b) You'll answer you send a signal to tell the probe to fire the laser at the earth, right? Well, since the signal we sent would ALSO be travelling at the speed of light (which you say we don't know), how can we trust the time calculation?
It's called pre programming. The could program the probe to send the light beam to earth, when it reaches a specified amount of time in space, equalling the time needed to reach that place and then when the probe fires the laser, the probe can record the exact time and transmit that time back to earth at the same time the laser fires, simple.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#115124 Jan 25, 2013
<quoted text>
Yea moron, that's why radio waves can move through walls and light can't.
It's a function of frequency, idiot.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#115125 Jan 25, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>OK, I get it. Jim Ryan is alledgedly his real name I suppose. I never did catch why CW (Jim) was anti-science. Is it a symptom of his larger pathology or did he get injured in a bizarre chemistry set accident as a child?

Jim Ryan is his real name. He has (or had) a carpet business in Jacksonville. Carpet fumes may be his root cause.
One way or another

United States

#115126 Jan 25, 2013
Perhaps the moron can tell us which light frequency can pass through walls. Lmao

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

United States

#115127 Jan 25, 2013
"Carl Woese dies at 84; evolutionary biologist

Before Carl R. Woese, science divided the living world into two types of organisms: bacteria and everything else.

But the University of Illinois professor and colleagues in the 1970s discovered that microbes now called archaea look like bacteria but genetically are as different from bacteria as people and plants are. The discovery added archaea as a third domain of living things and helped pioneer the use of genetic sequences.

Woese died at his home in Urbana, Ill., on Dec. 30 from pancreatic cancer, the university announced. He was 84.

Hailed by colleagues as one of the great evolutionary biologists of the 20th century, Woese won the 2003 Crafoord Prize in Biosciences. That's the equivalent of the Nobel Prize for scientific areas not considered for the Nobel."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/nationworld/...
Elohim

Branford, CT

#115128 Jan 25, 2013
Perhaps the moron can tell us which light frequency can pass through walls. Lmao
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_...

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#115129 Jan 25, 2013
I didn't say that, you imbecile. Lower frequencies can pass through solid objects - like walls - with less attenuation than higher frequencies. VHF/UHF radio frequencies pass through walls with relative ease while extremely high frequencies - like light - generally cannot.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#115130 Jan 25, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
"Carl Woese dies at 84; evolutionary biologist
Bummer. Very bright guy.
Mugwump

UK

#115131 Jan 25, 2013
<quoted text>
It's called pre programming. The could program the probe to send the light beam to earth, when it reaches a specified amount of time in space, equalling the time needed to reach that place and then when the probe fires the laser, the probe can record the exact time and transmit that time back to earth at the same time the laser fires, simple.
Seems a lot of hassle -

stopwatch and a torch should nail it.
One way or another

United States

#115132 Jan 25, 2013
The morons should not use deceit in the first place.
HTS

Williston, ND

#115133 Jan 25, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
"Naturalistic" compared to "SUPERnaturalistic"?
And how would you propose we go about testing the qualities and the source of supernatural phenomena?
"supernatural" is a meaningless term. Atheists believe in the supernatural, ie, time + matter = life.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 34 min HOG_ the Hand of God 116,723
Can the universe be God's brain? (Jun '07) 1 hr KimBoe 64
It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 1 hr thewordofme 137,101
Difficulty Loading Topix Pages 4 hr Gillette 11
New review critical of "Origins" 6 hr MikeF 23
The problem of evil and hate (Oct '13) 6 hr hpcaban 348
The Satanic Character of Social Darwinism 10 hr Zog Has-fallen 518
•••

Evolution Debate People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••