Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 | Posted by: Cash | Full story: www.scientificblogging.com

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Comments (Page 5,604)

Showing posts 112,061 - 112,080 of168,462
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“I started out with nothing”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
That right, Jimmy. Science lies to you all the time. Schmuck.
Science even lies to us about the internet, we all know that what really happens is that when we post stuff god sends one of his army of electronic angels to pick it up and display it on the screen of everyone reading.

Ok, sorry, that little bout of silliness is gone for good…

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

One way or another wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you see anywhere that they claimed an extraordinary event,--NO
You're a stooge

....Volcanic ash....

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

The scientific way according to the Evo stooges! Oh, it's ok if the Evo scientists make stupid mistakes or they forget to say there was an extraordinary event, even if we dont bother saying so and that's why the scientists claimed there were at least ten varves, which should equal 10 years, but the scientists just forgot. However, the Christian scientists better never have even one word out of place or you morons will cry on each others shoulders and use childish nonsense,
Fruk off you government stooges.

....volcanic ash....

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Fascinating that anyone can be this stupid.

This is not stupidity. This is ignorance + grandiose delusions.
Mugwump

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
This is not stupidity. This is ignorance + grandiose delusions.
Hate to say it but am wavering towards Poe again.

NOONE can read the clarifications that have been presented and NOT get it through his thick skull.

Either that or he just doesn't read others posts as it gets in the way of his carpet bombing of nonsense.

If he REALLY doesn't get it he is a danger to himself

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Lake varves
If you answer intelligently, I might stop posting this. Lol,
So you childish morons are too stupid to answer? Lmao
The following is a scientific claim, see if you can pick out its stupidity.
Here is an example of an ash layer from one of the cores of Lake Suigetsu. This ash layer is more than 1cm thick (the varves are less than 1mm each) and is composed almost almost pure volcanic glass. The purity suggests that it resulted from ash falling from the sky into this very placid lake and quickly sinking to the bottom. This image is from the Suigetsu web page: http://www.suigetsu.org/embed.php ...
The morons here claim that it takes a year to form one varve.
It takes 10 millimeters to make one centimeter. In the piece below, science states that one millimeter is equal to one varve. That means that it would have taken 10 years to form that pure layer of ash.
That also means that during those 10 years, no leaves, no grass, no sticks, no sand, no bugs, no nothing came into the lake.
That's not possible, so science is lying, big time.
Too
No, this is simply your inability to read with intelligence and comprehension. Nothing more.

But if you want to actually find some real blundering errors, here's one for you;

In Mark 5:1, Jesus and company sail across the Sea of Galilee and come to "the land of the Gerasenes." There they encounter a man possessed by unclean spirits. Jesus drives out the spirits, the spirits enter some pigs and the pigs run down a hill and jump into the lake.

If you look at a map you can see that Gerasa is 30 miles south southeast of the lake. That's a pretty big jump for those pigs. There is also no 30 mile long embankment running down from Gerasa to the lake.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Hate to say it but am wavering towards Poe again.
NOONE can read the clarifications that have been presented and NOT get it through his thick skull.
Either that or he just doesn't read others posts as it gets in the way of his carpet bombing of nonsense.
If he REALLY doesn't get it he is a danger to himself

As he seems to have been destroying his own life for sometime, it seems that, at the very least, your last statement is true.

I still stick with Delusional Disorder, grandiose type,(R/O organic brain syndrome) as my diagnosis.

If he is his good of an actor, he should be in Hollywood.
Mugwump

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
As he seems to have been destroying his own life for sometime, it seems that, at the very least, your last statement is true.
I still stick with Delusional Disorder, grandiose type,(R/O organic brain syndrome) as my diagnosis.
If he is his good of an actor, he should be in Hollywood.
Fair comment - I guess deep down I realise he is this f£@ked up, just my more compassionate side hopes he is playing us as the alternative is too sad for words

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Fair comment - I guess deep down I realise he is this f£@ked up, just my more compassionate side hopes he is playing us as the alternative is too sad for words

We can always hope.
One way or another

Westminster, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Judged:

The Evo children just don't comprehend, but what can you expect from children that choose to ignore the facts and choose to be idiots.

Lake varves

Here is an example of an ash layer from one of the cores of Lake Suigetsu. This ash layer is more than 1cm thick (the varves are less than 1mm each) and is composed almost almost pure volcanic glass. The purity suggests that it resulted from ash falling from the sky into this very placid lake and quickly sinking to the bottom. This image is from the Suigetsu web page: http://www.suigetsu.org/embed.php ...

It takes 10 millimeters to make one centimeter. In the piece below, science states that one millimeter is equal to one varve. That means that it would have taken 10 years to form that pure layer of ash.
That also means that during those 10 years, no leaves, no grass, no sticks, no sand, no bugs, no nothing came into the lake.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

The Evo children just don't comprehend, but what can you expect from children that choose to ignore the facts and choose to be idiots.
Lake varves

Hey, you know how many mm in a cm!

Isn't that special?

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Lake varves
Several people HAVE answered you, myself included.
It's just YOU are much too stupid and pig-headed to comprehend that what the article says is NOT AN ISSUE.

I have houseplants that can figure your 'problem' out.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Lake varves
There is no way to "answer" a stupid question "intelligently". Go away!!
nemesis

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Nemesis, I have no problem with the likelihood that in this universe of 10^23 star systems, there is other life and perhaps even intelligent life and life that has more advanced technology than ours.
On the other hand "rare earth" analysis shows instances of intelligent life are likely to be very few and far between.
Even so, its POSSIBLE that everything you said is true. However, as we know of many cases where people were deluded into thinking they saw something they did not, etc, and as there are no reliable, verified sightings or interactions with "UFOS" or aliens, its still a far higher likelihood that you were mistaken.
Sorry, but that is how it is. I would not be astonished if aliens turned up. But I am still skeptical of claims with nothing more substantial than personal testimonies. I hear such testimonies about angels, ghosts, tree spirits, and demons too, but do not believe them either! On every street corner in India, you will see some Guru that the locals swear can levitate, and they all have friend who saw it happen, etc, etc.
The well known and documented unreliability of unsupported human testimony is WHY a rational skeptic has to see a lot more than that to believe a claim.
I was skeptical before it happened. We were not out looking for anything.....it came to us. It forced itself in our world. We crested a hill and there it was on a high power line, it turned. It had a white light on the front and was hovering 15ft off the ground. It than put us to sleep. Prior to that moment my friend said, "There is something in the road ahead." And, then it/they put us to sleep. As we awoke it was in front of us @ 10ft cruisin @ 2-3 mph slowly over us. The bottom of the craft was filled with glowing red panels 6" x 2' not rotating, just slowly passing over us without a sound. I have an extensive background in aviation technologies. So, please don't tell me we were hallucinating. We both know what we saw. My friend could care less about anything that flies and she was curtain it was not of this world. I agreed with her. I have many, many hours of aviation experience. What I saw and felt was beyond words. My conclusion is it was a probe, we created a hill and surprised it. Its reaction was to incapacitate us, see we were not a threat and move on. To be honest we just want answers. We know it difficult to comprehend. It happened. Big C you of all people must understand. I did work in close proximity with nukes for awhile. They said that may be the reason for the encounter.
One way or another

Westminster, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Judged:

See

Lake varves

One way or another

Westminster, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Judged:

It is

Lenski's antibiotic claim.

Original work
By Jim Ryan
Supported by evidence

Lenski and or lederberg should have had the sense to reversed the experiment, to show that when 10 million antibiotic resistantt bacteria were cultured, they produced one that was non antibiotic resistant. One or both should have cultured 10 million bacteria that were non resistant, to see if an antibiotic resistant bacteria developed.
Bacteria may develop both every 10 millionth one as a memory device. If so, that should tell science quite a lot.

One way or another

Westminster, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Judged:

Ok

Immunology

More original science by Jim Ryan

In the following I would suggest that science study children that rarely wear shoes or don't wear shoes at all. I would divide the study into different nations or groups of nations with basically, the same diseases.

I would divide the shoeless-- because of intense poverty, from the people and children that choose to go shoeless and those that rarely or almost never go without shoes.

I might look at the data as the mostly shoeless by desire as mentally and possibly physically, stronger and therefore, more resistant to disease, unless science finds differently.

It may be that kids and people exposed to the pathogens in the dirt, grass and mud puddles on a constant basis, build stronger immune systems, at least for those that choose to go barefoot.
One way or another

Westminster, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Judged:

Yea

The science of running by Jim Ryan.

Yes, I used to run 10 miles a day for about 2 years. For whatever reason, I started counting a cadence in my head, that matched the cadence of my footfalls and my breathing, which synced body and mind, helping me to get into a trance like state, allowing me to run mile after mile without stress and the last mile I could run almost flat out.

I know they teach different things today, but give my method a try, I think you'll like it. By the way, keep your eyes focused just in front of you, on the ground.

The cadence in running I used to use was, "one two three one", " one two three two", "one two three three", and keep going.

It's a 4 count breathing in and then a 4 count breathing out.

Happy running.

“Happy New Year”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

I found a smile

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Ok
Immunology
More original science by Jim Ryan
In the following I would suggest that science study children that rarely wear shoes or don't wear shoes at all. I would divide the study into different nations or groups of nations with basically, the same diseases.
I would divide the shoeless-- because of intense poverty, from the people and children that choose to go shoeless and those that rarely or almost never go without shoes.
I might look at the data as the mostly shoeless by desire as mentally and possibly physically, stronger and therefore, more resistant to disease, unless science finds differently.
It may be that kids and people exposed to the pathogens in the dirt, grass and mud puddles on a constant basis, build stronger immune systems, at least for those that choose to go barefoot.
Who is Jim Ryan?

“Happy New Year”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

I found a smile

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

nemesis wrote:
<quoted text>I was skeptical before it happened. We were not out looking for anything.....it came to us. It forced itself in our world. We crested a hill and there it was on a high power line, it turned. It had a white light on the front and was hovering 15ft off the ground. It than put us to sleep. Prior to that moment my friend said, "There is something in the road ahead." And, then it/they put us to sleep. As we awoke it was in front of us @ 10ft cruisin @ 2-3 mph slowly over us. The bottom of the craft was filled with glowing red panels 6" x 2' not rotating, just slowly passing over us without a sound. I have an extensive background in aviation technologies. So, please don't tell me we were hallucinating. We both know what we saw. My friend could care less about anything that flies and she was curtain it was not of this world. I agreed with her. I have many, many hours of aviation experience. What I saw and felt was beyond words. My conclusion is it was a probe, we created a hill and surprised it. Its reaction was to incapacitate us, see we were not a threat and move on. To be honest we just want answers. We know it difficult to comprehend. It happened. Big C you of all people must understand. I did work in close proximity with nukes for awhile. They said that may be the reason for the encounter.
Emesis, my guess is that you created some meth and that incapacitated you and made you see things.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 112,061 - 112,080 of168,462
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••