Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 | Posted by: Cash | Full story: www.scientificblogging.com

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Comments (Page 5,603)

Showing posts 112,041 - 112,060 of171,361
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Dubai, UAE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

One way or another wrote:
Lake varves
If you answer intelligently, I might stop posting this. Lol,
So you childish morons are too stupid to answer? Lmao
The following is a scientific claim, see if you can pick out its stupidity.
Here is an example of an ash layer from one of the cores of Lake Suigetsu. This ash layer is more than 1cm thick (the varves are less than 1mm each) and is composed almost almost pure volcanic glass. The purity suggests that it resulted from ash falling from the sky into this very placid lake and quickly sinking to the bottom. This image is from the Suigetsu web page: http://www.suigetsu.org/embed.php ...
The morons here claim that it takes a year to form one varve.
It takes 10 millimeters to make one centimeter. In the piece below, science states that one millimeter is equal to one varve. That means that it would have taken 10 years to form that pure layer of ash.
That also means that during those 10 years, no leaves, no grass, no sticks, no sand, no bugs, no nothing came into the lake.
That's not possible, so science is lying, big time.
Too
Its bloody obvious Jimbo.

They are saying that in a NORMAL year, the varves accumulate at approx 1mm per year.

But in an extraordanry event, such as a volcanic eruption, OF COURSE the sedimentation for that time is going to be large by comparison.

How can you not see this? Are you so blinded by your obsession with trying to prove that scientists are liars that you cannot even think straight? By the way, your track record in proving scientists are liars is exactly ZERO, whether we go back to climate change, eskimos, animal psychology, gravity, relativity, light speed, bacterial experiments, whatever. You have not shown ONCE that scientists lied.

Now, I could give you some examples where scientists really have lied, or at least come to faulty conclusions, to help you along a bit in your obsession if you like. The thing being, their lies and errors were uncovered by OTHER scientists. That is how science works, and why it is self correcting.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Dubai, UAE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

nemesis wrote:
<quoted text>Big C, you seem like an intelligent individual. Of all people I thought would consider the possibility of other advanced life forms because of our understanding of the universe. Science now knows there are to many galaxies to fathom....not humanly possible to comprehend. And, I was with another person during my so called hallucinating episode. Once the craft cruze over our car my friend screamed, "Lets get out of here before they come back!" If she had not been with me, than yes I probably would have thought I had a psychotic episode, a twilight dream...whatever. Her screams made it into reality. Ok, we are not sure who or what it/they were that warm summer evening. Many questions surfaced. Why did it/they let us glimpse their world. We want answers, that's all. Does God cruse around in a craft? Was it a reversed engineered alien technology made by the govt? Or, was it indeed them...intelligent beings from another solar system? My own thoughts because of my first hand experience. I think it was a probe sent to earth to collect data and experiment with all life on this rock. Remember, to many galaxies to comprehend.....a guy walked on water.........think! It/They made humans believe that Bible story and its working. You want evidence that these aliens exist....any evidence God exist. Any video, pictures...sightings? Wait, bad word choice "sightings" my fault.....peace! Listen aliens do not want to contact, communicate with , or any else to do with humans. Why...don't know. When a human see God get his picture, than we will forget this whole silly hallucination ever happened. From my perspective, human fear the unknown. They block out such ridiculous notions that we are not alone. God will save them.........whatever.
Nemesis, I have no problem with the likelihood that in this universe of 10^23 star systems, there is other life and perhaps even intelligent life and life that has more advanced technology than ours.

On the other hand "rare earth" analysis shows instances of intelligent life are likely to be very few and far between.

Even so, its POSSIBLE that everything you said is true. However, as we know of many cases where people were deluded into thinking they saw something they did not, etc, and as there are no reliable, verified sightings or interactions with "UFOS" or aliens, its still a far higher likelihood that you were mistaken.

Sorry, but that is how it is. I would not be astonished if aliens turned up. But I am still skeptical of claims with nothing more substantial than personal testimonies. I hear such testimonies about angels, ghosts, tree spirits, and demons too, but do not believe them either! On every street corner in India, you will see some Guru that the locals swear can levitate, and they all have friend who saw it happen, etc, etc.

The well known and documented unreliability of unsupported human testimony is WHY a rational skeptic has to see a lot more than that to believe a claim.
One way or another

Westminster, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Judged:

Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Its bloody obvious Jimbo.
They are saying that in a NORMAL year, the varves accumulate at approx 1mm per year.
But in an extraordanry event, such as a volcanic eruption, OF COURSE the sedimentation for that time is going to be large by comparison.
How can you not see this? Are you so blinded by your obsession with trying to prove that scientists are liars that you cannot even think straight? By the way, your track record in proving scientists are liars is exactly ZERO, whether we go back to climate change, eskimos, animal psychology, gravity, relativity, light speed, bacterial experiments, whatever. You have not shown ONCE that scientists lied.
Now, I could give you some examples where scientists really have lied, or at least come to faulty conclusions, to help you along a bit in your obsession if you like. The thing being, their lies and errors were uncovered by OTHER scientists. That is how science works, and why it is self correcting.
Did you see anywhere that they claimed an extraordinary event,--NO

You're a stooge
One way or another

Westminster, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Judged:

The scientific way according to the Evo stooges! Oh, it's ok if the Evo scientists make stupid mistakes or they forget to say there was an extraordinary event, even if we dont bother saying so and that's why the scientists claimed there were at least ten varves, which should equal 10 years, but the scientists just forgot. However, the Christian scientists better never have even one word out of place or you morons will cry on each others shoulders and use childish nonsense,

Fruk off you government stooges.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

<quoted text>
Come back when you learn to comprehend, idiot.
The piece itself claims that each varve was 1 millimeter and that the all volcanic ash layer was 1 centimeter thick, meaning science was claiming it took more than 10 years to create that formation, you fruking moron.
Fascinating that anyone can be this stupid.

Level 8

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Hey stupid, well, that could be any one of you Evo morons, lol, see where science claims that each varve is less than 1mm thick? Science claims it takes one year to form one varve.
Here is an example of an ash layer from one of the cores of Lake Suigetsu. This ash layer is more than 1cm thick (the varves are less than 1mm each)
http://thenaturalhistorian.com/2012/11/12/var...
It WASN'T a varve, dumbass! It was a volcanic eruption! The point being it allowed for more precise correlation with other dating methods.

I find it hard to believe you even made it to the 10th grade.

Level 8

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Mugwump wrote:
Apologies for the bad formatting of the above post -
but that aside does anyone else besides me think it was a fruitless effort on my part?
It was. Jimbozo is immune to education.

Level 8

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

As usual, the Evo morons childish clique cackle about people, because science means nothing to these morons, all though they can copy and paste. Too bad they never offer even one new thought as a group, for science. Then they pretend to judge other people as the classic, childish cliques, from elementary school.
Poor ignorant children, they add nothing of value for all the years they have been here.
Drop
Yeah, we're all teacher's pets and your the class idiot. Tough shit.
Mugwump

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

<quoted text>
You're a stooge
The volcanic eruption mentioned in your links is the extraordinary event.

Now admittedly they didn't use the word extraordinary but they realise that most SANE people realise that volcanos don't constantly erupt.

You're a lunatic

Level 8

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

That right, Jimmy. Science lies to you all the time. Schmuck.

Level 8

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

<quoted text>
You're a stooge
Hey, idiot! READ:

"Here is an example of an ASH layer from one of the cores of Lake Suigetsu. This ASH layer is more than 1cm thick (the VARVES are less than 1mm each) and is composed almost almost pure VOLCANIC GLASS. The purity suggests that it resulted from ASH falling from the sky into this very placid lake and quickly sinking to the bottom."

Now where do YOU suppose the volcanic glass and ash came from? Walmart?
LowellGuy

Lawrence, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

nemesis wrote:
<quoted text>Big C, you seem like an intelligent individual. Of all people I thought would consider the possibility of other advanced life forms because of our understanding of the universe. Science now knows there are to many galaxies to fathom....not humanly possible to comprehend. And, I was with another person during my so called hallucinating episode. Once the craft cruze over our car my friend screamed, "Lets get out of here before they come back!" If she had not been with me, than yes I probably would have thought I had a psychotic episode, a twilight dream...whatever. Her screams made it into reality. Ok, we are not sure who or what it/they were that warm summer evening. Many questions surfaced. Why did it/they let us glimpse their world. We want answers, that's all. Does God cruse around in a craft? Was it a reversed engineered alien technology made by the govt? Or, was it indeed them...intelligent beings from another solar system? My own thoughts because of my first hand experience. I think it was a probe sent to earth to collect data and experiment with all life on this rock. Remember, to many galaxies to comprehend.....a guy walked on water.........think! It/They made humans believe that Bible story and its working. You want evidence that these aliens exist....any evidence God exist. Any video, pictures...sightings? Wait, bad word choice "sightings" my fault.....peace! Listen aliens do not want to contact, communicate with , or any else to do with humans. Why...don't know. When a human see God get his picture, than we will forget this whole silly hallucination ever happened. From my perspective, human fear the unknown. They block out such ridiculous notions that we are not alone. God will save them.........whatever.
Evidence or GTFO.
LowellGuy

Lawrence, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

<quoted text>
You're a stooge
Why was there volcanic glass? Does that volcano erupt every day? Week? Month? Year? Decade? Century? Is the volcano erupting a common occurrence or uncommon? Are uncommon occurrences ordinary or not?

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Since: Jul 09

Minneapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Mugwump wrote:
Apologies for the bad formatting of the above post -
but that aside does anyone else besides me think it was a fruitless effort on my part?
Yes, it was a fruitless effort. Jim doesn't care that he's wrong. That's not his point. What he cares about is that he sends people scurrying for facts. It makes him feel like he's in charge. He then proceeds to ignore the facts presented. He sees a lose-lose situtation as putting him on equal ground with smart people.

You win by not replying to him.

“I started out with nothing”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
That right, Jimmy. Science lies to you all the time. Schmuck.
Science even lies to us about the internet, we all know that what really happens is that when we post stuff god sends one of his army of electronic angels to pick it up and display it on the screen of everyone reading.

Ok, sorry, that little bout of silliness is gone for good…

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

<quoted text>
You're a stooge

....Volcanic ash....

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

The scientific way according to the Evo stooges! Oh, it's ok if the Evo scientists make stupid mistakes or they forget to say there was an extraordinary event, even if we dont bother saying so and that's why the scientists claimed there were at least ten varves, which should equal 10 years, but the scientists just forgot. However, the Christian scientists better never have even one word out of place or you morons will cry on each others shoulders and use childish nonsense,
Fruk off you government stooges.

....volcanic ash....

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Fascinating that anyone can be this stupid.

This is not stupidity. This is ignorance + grandiose delusions.
Mugwump

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
This is not stupidity. This is ignorance + grandiose delusions.
Hate to say it but am wavering towards Poe again.

NOONE can read the clarifications that have been presented and NOT get it through his thick skull.

Either that or he just doesn't read others posts as it gets in the way of his carpet bombing of nonsense.

If he REALLY doesn't get it he is a danger to himself

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Lake varves
If you answer intelligently, I might stop posting this. Lol,
So you childish morons are too stupid to answer? Lmao
The following is a scientific claim, see if you can pick out its stupidity.
Here is an example of an ash layer from one of the cores of Lake Suigetsu. This ash layer is more than 1cm thick (the varves are less than 1mm each) and is composed almost almost pure volcanic glass. The purity suggests that it resulted from ash falling from the sky into this very placid lake and quickly sinking to the bottom. This image is from the Suigetsu web page: http://www.suigetsu.org/embed.php ...
The morons here claim that it takes a year to form one varve.
It takes 10 millimeters to make one centimeter. In the piece below, science states that one millimeter is equal to one varve. That means that it would have taken 10 years to form that pure layer of ash.
That also means that during those 10 years, no leaves, no grass, no sticks, no sand, no bugs, no nothing came into the lake.
Too
No, this is simply your inability to read with intelligence and comprehension. Nothing more.

But if you want to actually find some real blundering errors, here's one for you;

In Mark 5:1, Jesus and company sail across the Sea of Galilee and come to "the land of the Gerasenes." There they encounter a man possessed by unclean spirits. Jesus drives out the spirits, the spirits enter some pigs and the pigs run down a hill and jump into the lake.

If you look at a map you can see that Gerasa is 30 miles south southeast of the lake. That's a pretty big jump for those pigs. There is also no 30 mile long embankment running down from Gerasa to the lake.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 112,041 - 112,060 of171,361
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••