Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 Full story: www.scientificblogging.com 175,462

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand." Full Story
One way or another

United States

#115039 Jan 23, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<<sigh>> I'll take a stab at it, Jimmy.
The "1mm varve" thickness is the AVERAGE thickness accumulated during an AVERAGE, UNEVENTFUL year.
If there is an EXTRAORDINARY EVENT.....say, ummmm A FRICKIN VOLCANO that is erupting nearby, it will deposit MUCH MORE sediment into the lake, and will result in a MUCH THICKER LAYER between the annual varves.
In the case you're describing, many 'uneventful' years were interrupted by a volcano that deposited a bunch of ash that resulted in volcanic glass when it cooled down, and compressed under subsequent 'uneventful' years sediments.
My DOG could pick this up after first read.
Come back when you learn to comprehend, idiot.

The piece itself claims that each varve was 1 millimeter and that the all volcanic ash layer was 1 centimeter thick, meaning science was claiming it took more than 10 years to create that formation, you fruking moron.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#115040 Jan 23, 2013
One way or another wrote:
<quoted text>Come back when you learn to comprehend, idiot.

The piece itself claims that each varve was 1 millimeter and that the all volcanic ash layer was 1 centimeter thick, meaning science was claiming it took more than 10 years to create that formation, you fruking moron.
That coming from anyone but you would be an insult.

However....
One way or another

United States

#115041 Jan 23, 2013
Hey stupid, well, that could be any one of you Evo morons, lol, see where science claims that each varve is less than 1mm thick? Science claims it takes one year to form one varve.

Here is an example of an ash layer from one of the cores of Lake Suigetsu. This ash layer is more than 1cm thick (the varves are less than 1mm each)

http://thenaturalhistorian.com/2012/11/12/var...

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#115042 Jan 23, 2013
<quoted text>
It's pretty clear who has the comprehension problem. Here's a hint, it's the one that thinks nature makes uniform deposits every time all the time.
One way or another

United States

#115043 Jan 23, 2013
I wonder how long before they take down that web page or the content that shows what morons science uses.

One way or another

United States

#115044 Jan 23, 2013
As usual, the Evo morons childish clique cackle about people, because science means nothing to these morons, all though they can copy and paste. Too bad they never offer even one new thought as a group, for science. Then they pretend to judge other people as the classic, childish cliques, from elementary school.

Poor ignorant children, they add nothing of value for all the years they have been here.

Back

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#115045 Jan 23, 2013
<quoted text>

..........so....what..........

You clearly don't know anything about earths geological past.
Mugwump

Manchester, UK

#115046 Jan 23, 2013
<quoted text>
I am going to see if you are up to the following claim you made
If you answer intelligently, I might stop posting this.
The argument you are making is thus (taking X as any date you choose)
Year X - normal varve deposits formed - around 1mm
Year X+1- normal varve deposits formed - around 1mm
Year X+2 -normal varve deposits formed - around 1mm
Year X+3 - normal varve deposits formed - around 1mm
Year X+4 - normal varve deposits formed - around 1mm
Therefore the observed sedimentation of (1mm x 5 ) doesn't match reality therefore science is wrong
My argument is thus
Year X - normal varve deposits formed - around 1mm
Year X+1- normal varve deposits formed - around 1mm
Year X+2 -normal varve deposits formed - around 1mm
Year X+3 - normal varve deposits form PLUS a volcanic eruption that lays down 1cm deposits **********
Year X+4 - normal varve deposits formed - around 1mm
The observed strata are consistent when taking year x+3 years (********* into account
Now unless you can provide evidence that the volcanic eruption DIDNT occur, your argument is moot.
Now I have simplified this as much as I can to outline the issue - if you feel you are up to responding to intelligent posts that refute your 'new science' this is a golden opportunity.
So Jimbo , are you up to the challenge ?
Mugwump

Manchester, UK

#115047 Jan 23, 2013
Apologies for the bad formatting of the above post -

but that aside does anyone else besides me think it was a fruitless effort on my part?
One way or another

United States

#115048 Jan 23, 2013
As usual, the Evo morons childish clique cackle about people, because science means nothing to these morons, all though they can copy and paste. Too bad they never offer even one new thought as a group, for science. Then they pretend to judge other people as the classic, childish cliques, from elementary school.

Poor ignorant children, they add nothing of value for all the years they have been here.

Drop
One way or another

United States

#115049 Jan 23, 2013
Lake varves

If you answer intelligently, I might stop posting this. Lol,

So you childish morons are too stupid to answer? Lmao

The following is a scientific claim, see if you can pick out its stupidity.

Here is an example of an ash layer from one of the cores of Lake Suigetsu. This ash layer is more than 1cm thick (the varves are less than 1mm each) and is composed almost almost pure volcanic glass. The purity suggests that it resulted from ash falling from the sky into this very placid lake and quickly sinking to the bottom. This image is from the Suigetsu web page: http://www.suigetsu.org/embed.php ...

The morons here claim that it takes a year to form one varve.

It takes 10 millimeters to make one centimeter. In the piece below, science states that one millimeter is equal to one varve. That means that it would have taken 10 years to form that pure layer of ash.
That also means that during those 10 years, no leaves, no grass, no sticks, no sand, no bugs, no nothing came into the lake.

That's not possible, so science is lying, big time.

Too
nemesis

Kansas City, MO

#115050 Jan 23, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not believe that a human walked on water OR that a starship probe was 10 feet from you. Its not that I fear the unknown, its simply that comparing the various possible explanations for your experience, the actual appearance of a starship probe comes in last place in terms of likelihood. It ranks well behind these possibilities:
you were deluded
you were hallucinating
you were fooled
you are lying
Sorry, but a claim such as yours requires some seriously strong evidence to be taken seriously.
Big C, you seem like an intelligent individual. Of all people I thought would consider the possibility of other advanced life forms because of our understanding of the universe. Science now knows there are to many galaxies to fathom....not humanly possible to comprehend. And, I was with another person during my so called hallucinating episode. Once the craft cruze over our car my friend screamed, "Lets get out of here before they come back!" If she had not been with me, than yes I probably would have thought I had a psychotic episode, a twilight dream...whatever. Her screams made it into reality. Ok, we are not sure who or what it/they were that warm summer evening. Many questions surfaced. Why did it/they let us glimpse their world. We want answers, that's all. Does God cruse around in a craft? Was it a reversed engineered alien technology made by the govt? Or, was it indeed them...intelligent beings from another solar system? My own thoughts because of my first hand experience. I think it was a probe sent to earth to collect data and experiment with all life on this rock. Remember, to many galaxies to comprehend.....a guy walked on water.........think! It/They made humans believe that Bible story and its working. You want evidence that these aliens exist....any evidence God exist. Any video, pictures...sightings? Wait, bad word choice "sightings" my fault.....peace! Listen aliens do not want to contact, communicate with , or any else to do with humans. Why...don't know. When a human see God get his picture, than we will forget this whole silly hallucination ever happened. From my perspective, human fear the unknown. They block out such ridiculous notions that we are not alone. God will save them.........whatever.

“I started out with nothing”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#115051 Jan 24, 2013
It takes 10 millimeters to make one centimeter. In the piece below, science states that one millimeter is equal to one varve. That means that it would have taken 10 years to form that pure layer of ash.
That also means that during those 10 years, no leaves, no grass, no sticks, no sand, no bugs, no nothing came into the lake.
Look up the definition you moron, at least that way you would not look quit so stupid

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Dubai, UAE

#115052 Jan 24, 2013
Lake varves
If you answer intelligently, I might stop posting this. Lol,
So you childish morons are too stupid to answer? Lmao
The following is a scientific claim, see if you can pick out its stupidity.
Here is an example of an ash layer from one of the cores of Lake Suigetsu. This ash layer is more than 1cm thick (the varves are less than 1mm each) and is composed almost almost pure volcanic glass. The purity suggests that it resulted from ash falling from the sky into this very placid lake and quickly sinking to the bottom. This image is from the Suigetsu web page: http://www.suigetsu.org/embed.php ...
Too
Its bloody obvious Jimbo.

They are saying that in a NORMAL year, the varves accumulate at approx 1mm per year.

But in an extraordanry event, such as a volcanic eruption, OF COURSE the sedimentation for that time is going to be large by comparison.

How can you not see this? Are you so blinded by your obsession with trying to prove that scientists are liars that you cannot even think straight? By the way, your track record in proving scientists are liars is exactly ZERO, whether we go back to climate change, eskimos, animal psychology, gravity, relativity, light speed, bacterial experiments, whatever. You have not shown ONCE that scientists lied.

Now, I could give you some examples where scientists really have lied, or at least come to faulty conclusions, to help you along a bit in your obsession if you like. The thing being, their lies and errors were uncovered by OTHER scientists. That is how science works, and why it is self correcting.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Dubai, UAE

#115053 Jan 24, 2013
nemesis wrote:
<quoted text>Big C, you seem like an intelligent individual. Of all people I thought would consider the possibility of other advanced life forms because of our understanding of the universe. Science now knows there are to many galaxies to fathom....not humanly possible to comprehend. And, I was with another person during my so called hallucinating episode. Once the craft cruze over our car my friend screamed, "Lets get out of here before they come back!" If she had not been with me, than yes I probably would have thought I had a psychotic episode, a twilight dream...whatever. Her screams made it into reality. Ok, we are not sure who or what it/they were that warm summer evening. Many questions surfaced. Why did it/they let us glimpse their world. We want answers, that's all. Does God cruse around in a craft? Was it a reversed engineered alien technology made by the govt? Or, was it indeed them...intelligent beings from another solar system? My own thoughts because of my first hand experience. I think it was a probe sent to earth to collect data and experiment with all life on this rock. Remember, to many galaxies to comprehend.....a guy walked on water.........think! It/They made humans believe that Bible story and its working. You want evidence that these aliens exist....any evidence God exist. Any video, pictures...sightings? Wait, bad word choice "sightings" my fault.....peace! Listen aliens do not want to contact, communicate with , or any else to do with humans. Why...don't know. When a human see God get his picture, than we will forget this whole silly hallucination ever happened. From my perspective, human fear the unknown. They block out such ridiculous notions that we are not alone. God will save them.........whatever.
Nemesis, I have no problem with the likelihood that in this universe of 10^23 star systems, there is other life and perhaps even intelligent life and life that has more advanced technology than ours.

On the other hand "rare earth" analysis shows instances of intelligent life are likely to be very few and far between.

Even so, its POSSIBLE that everything you said is true. However, as we know of many cases where people were deluded into thinking they saw something they did not, etc, and as there are no reliable, verified sightings or interactions with "UFOS" or aliens, its still a far higher likelihood that you were mistaken.

Sorry, but that is how it is. I would not be astonished if aliens turned up. But I am still skeptical of claims with nothing more substantial than personal testimonies. I hear such testimonies about angels, ghosts, tree spirits, and demons too, but do not believe them either! On every street corner in India, you will see some Guru that the locals swear can levitate, and they all have friend who saw it happen, etc, etc.

The well known and documented unreliability of unsupported human testimony is WHY a rational skeptic has to see a lot more than that to believe a claim.
One way or another

United States

#115054 Jan 24, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Its bloody obvious Jimbo.
They are saying that in a NORMAL year, the varves accumulate at approx 1mm per year.
But in an extraordanry event, such as a volcanic eruption, OF COURSE the sedimentation for that time is going to be large by comparison.
How can you not see this? Are you so blinded by your obsession with trying to prove that scientists are liars that you cannot even think straight? By the way, your track record in proving scientists are liars is exactly ZERO, whether we go back to climate change, eskimos, animal psychology, gravity, relativity, light speed, bacterial experiments, whatever. You have not shown ONCE that scientists lied.
Now, I could give you some examples where scientists really have lied, or at least come to faulty conclusions, to help you along a bit in your obsession if you like. The thing being, their lies and errors were uncovered by OTHER scientists. That is how science works, and why it is self correcting.
Did you see anywhere that they claimed an extraordinary event,--NO

You're a stooge
One way or another

United States

#115055 Jan 24, 2013
The scientific way according to the Evo stooges! Oh, it's ok if the Evo scientists make stupid mistakes or they forget to say there was an extraordinary event, even if we dont bother saying so and that's why the scientists claimed there were at least ten varves, which should equal 10 years, but the scientists just forgot. However, the Christian scientists better never have even one word out of place or you morons will cry on each others shoulders and use childish nonsense,

Fruk off you government stooges.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#115056 Jan 24, 2013
<quoted text>
Fascinating that anyone can be this stupid.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#115057 Jan 24, 2013
Hey stupid, well, that could be any one of you Evo morons, lol, see where science claims that each varve is less than 1mm thick? Science claims it takes one year to form one varve.
Here is an example of an ash layer from one of the cores of Lake Suigetsu. This ash layer is more than 1cm thick (the varves are less than 1mm each)
It WASN'T a varve, dumbass! It was a volcanic eruption! The point being it allowed for more precise correlation with other dating methods.

I find it hard to believe you even made it to the 10th grade.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#115058 Jan 24, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
Apologies for the bad formatting of the above post -
but that aside does anyone else besides me think it was a fruitless effort on my part?
It was. Jimbozo is immune to education.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 22 min DanFromSmithville 127,545
More Theories to Disprove Creation 1 hr shasha_m 57
It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 1 hr KAB 139,369
An atheistic view on evolution vs. a godly view... 3 hr Dogen 67
Ten Reason Why Evolution Is a Lie (Jul '09) 4 hr Bob 1,899
Atheism - A Non Prophet Organisation (Mar '11) 21 hr The Dude 996
god is not real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Jun '06) Mon tbrim21 13,575

Evolution Debate People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE