Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 Full story: www.scientificblogging.com 176,162

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand." Full Story

“That's just MY opinion...”

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#115019 Jan 23, 2013
One way or another wrote:
The morons here claim that it takes a year to form one varve.
It takes 10 millimeters to make one centimeter. In the piece below, science states that one millimeter is equal to one varve. That means that it would have taken 10 years to form that pure layer of ash.
That also means that during those 10 years, no leaves, no grass, no sticks, no sand, no bugs, no nothing came into the lake.
That's not possible, so science is lying, big time.
I wonder if some sort of unique event might have greatly increased the amount of particulate matter in the atmosphere. That could possibly result in a larger than normal layer of sunken material in the lake. The article identifies the material as "volcanic glass", but doesn't suggest how all that material could have gotten up in the air all at once. Hmmm... Very mysterious.
Mugwump

Manchester, UK

#115020 Jan 23, 2013
MADRONE wrote:
<quoted text>
I wonder if some sort of unique event might have greatly increased the amount of particulate matter in the atmosphere. That could possibly result in a larger than normal layer of sunken material in the lake. The article identifies the material as "volcanic glass", but doesn't suggest how all that material could have gotten up in the air all at once. Hmmm... Very mysterious.
If only the link Jim posted could shed some light on it (and by light I DON'T mean images as they are totally different things)

“That's just MY opinion...”

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#115021 Jan 23, 2013
MADRONE wrote:
I went back and looked at your first link and it mentions "volcanic eruptions". That could be a possible explanation. Y'think?
One way or another

United States

#115022 Jan 23, 2013
Lake varves

If you answer intelligently, I might stop posting this. Lol,

So you childish morons are too stupid to answer? Lmao

The following is a scientific claim, see if you can pick out its stupidity.

Here is an example of an ash layer from one of the cores of Lake Suigetsu. This ash layer is more than 1cm thick (the varves are less than 1mm each) and is composed almost almost pure volcanic glass. The purity suggests that it resulted from ash falling from the sky into this very placid lake and quickly sinking to the bottom. This image is from the Suigetsu web page: http://www.suigetsu.org/embed.php ...

It takes 10 millimeters to make one centimeter. In the piece below, science states that one millimeter is equal to one varve. That means that it would have taken 10 years to form that pure layer of ash.
That also means that during those 10 years, no leaves, no grass, no sticks, no sand, no bugs, no nothing came into the lake.

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Plant City, FL

#115023 Jan 23, 2013
The hate fest continues...
One way or another

United States

#115024 Jan 23, 2013
In the above post, the word above, should replace the word, below

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#115025 Jan 23, 2013
Lake varves
Here is an example of an ash layer from one of the cores of Lake Suigetsu. This ash layer is more than 1cm thick (the varves are less than 1mm each) and is composed almost almost pure volcanic glass. The purity suggests that it resulted from ash falling from the sky into this very placid lake and quickly sinking to the bottom. This image is from the Suigetsu web page: http://www.suigetsu.org/embed.php ...
Wow.

Just.....wow.

Do people have to dress you in the morning?

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Dubai, UAE

#115026 Jan 23, 2013
Keep pretending you morons didn't speak a lot about varves in the past here, deceit is all you Evo morons have.
Somebody might have. It wasn't me, I only just found out what a varve is.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#115027 Jan 23, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
If only the link Jim posted could shed some light on it (and by light I DON'T mean images as they are totally different things)
Maybe this will help:
http://thenaturalhistorian.com/2012/11/12/var...

Jimbozo can't even get his links right.
One way or another

United States

#115028 Jan 23, 2013
The following shows the ash layer

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#115029 Jan 23, 2013

ROTFLMFAO.

Are you aware that water is wet, or is even that beyond you?
LowellGuy

United States

#115030 Jan 23, 2013
Lake varves
What part of "volcanic eruption" do you not understand?

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#115031 Jan 23, 2013

That is the VERY DEFINITION of varve.

"A layer or series of layers of sediment deposited in a body of still water in one year."

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/varve

Definition means definition.

Period.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#115032 Jan 23, 2013
You're welcome.

But still stupid.

Level 8

Seffner, FL

#115033 Jan 23, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Pretty much everything, it seems. Jimbo has misunderstood every thing he's attempted. No reason for him to be any different this time.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#115034 Jan 23, 2013
<<sigh>> I'll take a stab at it, Jimmy.

The "1mm varve" thickness is the AVERAGE thickness accumulated during an AVERAGE, UNEVENTFUL year.

If there is an EXTRAORDINARY EVENT.....say, ummmm A FRICKIN VOLCANO that is erupting nearby, it will deposit MUCH MORE sediment into the lake, and will result in a MUCH THICKER LAYER between the annual varves.

In the case you're describing, many 'uneventful' years were interrupted by a volcano that deposited a bunch of ash that resulted in volcanic glass when it cooled down, and compressed under subsequent 'uneventful' years sediments.

My DOG could pick this up after first read.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#115035 Jan 23, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."--Hunter S. Thompson

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Dubai, UAE

#115036 Jan 23, 2013
The following shows the ash layer
Not if there was an extraordinary event, like a volcanic eruption. In that year, a whole centimeter could easily be laid down, even if the normal deposit rate was only a millimeter.
Mugwump

Manchester, UK

#115037 Jan 23, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."--Hunter S. Thompson
"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
- Martin Luther King Jr

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Since: Jul 09

Minneapolis

#115038 Jan 23, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Ryan's stupid.
Stupid + mad = funny.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 3 min SobieskiSavedEurope 133,090
An atheistic view on evolution vs. a godly view... 1 hr Dogen 581
How would creationists explain... 2 hr Dogen 367
Science News (Sep '13) 10 hr positronium 2,938
god is not real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Jun '06) 13 hr Chimney1 13,624
Creationism coming to Ohio classrooms? Not with... Dec 20 nobody 7
24 hour dental emergency (Nov '13) Dec 19 Zach 4
More from around the web