Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 Full story: www.scientificblogging.com 176,162

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand." Full Story

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Since: Jul 09

Minneapolis

#114978 Jan 22, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Nearly half the population of the USA.
But those "nearly half" of the population don't actually discuss evolution/creation as an issue. They just believe what their preacher tells them and go on with their daily lives.
One way or another

United States

#114979 Jan 22, 2013
As usual, the Evo morons childish clique cackle about people, because science means nothing to these morons, all though they can copy and paste. Too bad they never offer even one new thought as a group, for science. Then they pretend to judge other people as the classic, childish cliques, from elementary school.

Poor ignorant children, they add nothing of value for all the years they have been here.

You are needy
One way or another

United States

#114980 Jan 22, 2013
Tell us evo children

How does science measure each varve and show the evidence.

Neither science nor any of you Evolutionists morons show such.

Varves are formed in a very simple way and I will tell you and science how they are formed, adding to the new and refutation of science.

Varves are formed from the sand, grass, leaf litter and more, every time the wind blows hard enough to blow those things into the lake.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Dubai, UAE

#114981 Jan 22, 2013
appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>
But those "nearly half" of the population don't actually discuss evolution/creation as an issue. They just believe what their preacher tells them and go on with their daily lives.
If that were the whole story, nobody would be here arguing.

This whole discussion is about those who are trying to push a corruption of science into the classroom. Note the broader systematic effort to discredit science, including issues that are not harmless such as climate change.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#114982 Jan 22, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I am talking about scientists' tendency to think that a logical argument can automatically trump emotion, fear, showmanship, etc.
I am 100% on the side of science, and I am a science nerd myself.
But we are talking about a public battle against those who know they do not have to be "right" with the audience, merely persuasive, and sow the seeds of suspicion and doubt with the general public.
Right now they want to play at "look at how the scientists try to cover up the young age of these dino remains, and refuse to even TEST them!!!". Don't freakin' argue, your fine words will be lost on the general public for whom any deductive chain more than two units long is "making excuses". Just test the damned sample and prove that they are talking BS - shove it right back at 'em. Its the only way to beat them at their game.
Okay, I must have missed something in your post then. My bad.
Mugwump

Manchester, UK

#114983 Jan 22, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
If that were the whole story, nobody would be here arguing.
This whole discussion is about those who are trying to push a corruption of science into the classroom. Note the broader systematic effort to discredit science, including issues that are not harmless such as climate change.
I don't neccessarily think there is a systematic effort to discredit science as you put it.
Most people care about as much about science as they do about economics, relational database theory or jersey cattle breeding patterns.
It is more that in the two examples you allude to, namely ToE and AGW -( we DIG those TLA's don't we) that one way to protect what people hold dear (their faith or their income from taxes) they attack the science that support the theories.
It's interesting to see some of the similarities in those that refute ToE / AGW in the arguments they use.
You weren't there millions of years ago / 150 odd years isn't enough to predict climate.
It's all a conspiracy to promote atheism / it's all a conspiracy to raise taxes
There are scientists that disagree with ToE / ditto AGW
Anyway - that's my 2 cents worth

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Since: Jul 09

Minneapolis

#114984 Jan 22, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't neccessarily think there is a systematic effort to discredit science as you put it.
Most people care about as much about science as they do about economics, relational database theory or jersey cattle breeding patterns.
It is more that in the two examples you allude to, namely ToE and AGW -( we DIG those TLA's don't we) that one way to protect what people hold dear (their faith or their income from taxes) they attack the science that support the theories.
It's interesting to see some of the similarities in those that refute ToE / AGW in the arguments they use.
You weren't there millions of years ago / 150 odd years isn't enough to predict climate.
It's all a conspiracy to promote atheism / it's all a conspiracy to raise taxes
There are scientists that disagree with ToE / ditto AGW
Anyway - that's my 2 cents worth
Yes, while many people do take sides, the details are of little consequence to the majority of people.
Mugwump

Manchester, UK

#114985 Jan 22, 2013
As an aside from the worthy discussion re: societies antagonism/apathy to science.

An anniversary wish to our resident nutjobiness - it's the 23rd of Jan - I have baked a cake.

It is shaped like a lightbulb with a big cross through it.
nemesis

Kansas City, MO

#114986 Jan 22, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, but I highly doubt you are being honest.
I do not expect the primitive human animal that believes a story about some guy walking on water to believe that a starship/probe was 10ft in front of us. That would be silly, Big K. Wait, we also felt the same way until it happened to us. I see why humans fear the unknown, the incomprehensible thought that we are not alone in the universe. That a God almighty, great and powerful is watch us, protecting us..........Its scary to think how they(who or wgat was in the craft) had total control of our minds.......most humans cant handle even the thought that such entities exist. Why did they let us glimps their world? Why us? I think it was a probe looking, observing and studing the life they created..........awsome!

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#114987 Jan 22, 2013
nemesis wrote:
<quoted text>I do not expect the primitive human animal that believes a story about some guy walking on water to believe that a starship/probe was 10ft in front of us. That would be silly, Big K. Wait, we also felt the same way until it happened to us. I see why humans fear the unknown, the incomprehensible thought that we are not alone in the universe. That a God almighty, great and powerful is watch us, protecting us..........Its scary to think how they(who or wgat was in the craft) had total control of our minds.......most humans cant handle even the thought that such entities exist. Why did they let us glimps their world? Why us? I think it was a probe looking, observing and studing the life they created..........awsome!
Um, you demonstrate the effect that the god delusion has on people, you are completely in your own fantasy and out of the real world now.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#114988 Jan 22, 2013
nemesis wrote:
<quoted text>I do not expect the primitive human animal that believes a story about some guy walking on water to believe that a starship/probe was 10ft in front of us. That would be silly, Big K. Wait, we also felt the same way until it happened to us. I see why humans fear the unknown, the incomprehensible thought that we are not alone in the universe. That a God almighty, great and powerful is watch us, protecting us..........Its scary to think how they(who or wgat was in the craft) had total control of our minds.......most humans cant handle even the thought that such entities exist. Why did they let us glimps their world? Why us? I think it was a probe looking, observing and studing the life they created..........awsome!
And, as soon as there is something beyond your say-so to back up these claims, we'll take them seriously.

Level 6

Dubai, UAE

#114989 Jan 22, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, I must have missed something in your post then. My bad.
No worries. I stopped worrying about being nerdy back in the 90's when Kurt Vonnegut somehow became mainstream cool. Whatever that means. I am a bit touchy about some of this discussion though, because I have been to places where theocracy has the upper hand and its not pretty.

Level 6

Dubai, UAE

#114990 Jan 22, 2013
nemesis wrote:
I do not believe that a human walked on water OR that a starship probe was 10 feet from you. Its not that I fear the unknown, its simply that comparing the various possible explanations for your experience, the actual appearance of a starship probe comes in last place in terms of likelihood. It ranks well behind these possibilities:

you were deluded
you were hallucinating
you were fooled
you are lying

Sorry, but a claim such as yours requires some seriously strong evidence to be taken seriously.

Level 6

Dubai, UAE

#114991 Jan 22, 2013
One way or another wrote:
Well Evo children, I've shown some of my thinking. Is there anything that you as a combined clique have to offer to science?
What you offer, science rejects.
One way or another

United States

#114992 Jan 23, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
What you offer, science rejects.
Then tell us chimney, how is the following wrong, according to science.

Varves are formed in a very simple way and I will tell you and science how they are formed, adding to the new and refutation of science.

Varves are formed from the sand, grass, leaf litter and more, every time the wind blows hard enough to blow those things into the lake.
Elohim

Branford, CT

#114993 Jan 23, 2013
<quoted text>
Then tell us chimney, how is the following wrong, according to science.
YAWN........ The same boring bullshitte over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over ......
One way or another

United States

#114994 Jan 23, 2013
Elohim wrote:
<quoted text>YAWN........ The same boring bullshitte over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over ......
Yea, that you morons can't refute or answer. If ya ever get a thought all yer own morons, let us know. Till then you can use your same ol boring, deceitful responses, IE; it's already been refuted, when it hasn't been.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#114995 Jan 23, 2013
<quoted text>
Yea, that you morons can't refute or answer. If ya ever get a thought all yer own morons, let us know. Till then you can use your same ol boring, deceitful responses, IE; it's already been refuted, when it hasn't been.
There is never any need to refute retarded bullshit.
Elohim

Branford, CT

#114996 Jan 23, 2013
<quoted text>
Answered, refuted, debunked, discredited, invalidated, disproved and laughed at.
One way or another

United States

#114997 Jan 23, 2013
The following is a scientific claim, see if you can pick out its stupidity.

Here is an example of an ash layer from one of the cores of Lake Suigetsu. This ash layer is more than 1cm thick (the varves are less than 1mm each) and is composed almost almost pure volcanic glass. The purity suggests that it resulted from ash falling from the sky into this very placid lake and quickly sinking to the bottom. This image is from the Suigetsu web page: http://www.suigetsu.org/embed.php...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 12 min dirtclod 132,389
An atheistic view on evolution vs. a godly view... 20 min TurkanaBoy 494
god is not real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Jun '06) 38 min Brian_G 13,616
24 hour dental emergency (Nov '13) 2 hr Zach 4
How would creationists explain... 2 hr TurkanaBoy 314
Science News (Sep '13) 7 hr positronium 2,943
Genetic entropy 23 hr Discord 159
More from around the web