Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 | Posted by: Cash | Full story: www.scientificblogging.com

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."
Comments
111,661 - 111,680 of 172,082 Comments Last updated 35 min ago

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

Judged:

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
You can blabber all you want but you still did it wrong. Stop making excuses and learn to use the big boy formulas. It's not that difficult. If you simply divide time into smaller portions all you wind up with is equal parts of the whole. Half life doesn't work like that. Grow a set.

Again, you either misunderstood or you are purposely distorting what he wrote.

You are doing this a lot lately. If you cannot respond to the actual content of the post then I would prefer you simply not reply.

“Cleaning Up Christianity ”

Level 5

Since: Jan 13

Topix Badlands

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You cannot deflect what you stated. You hate everyone who is unique than you and you use religious mythology to justify that hatred. You're easy to see a mile away, bigots like you are always so easy to make come out into the open.
Mythology? That certainly isn't bigoted, now is it?
Elohim

Branford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
One of my favorite Sherlock Holmes stories.
Have you watched 'Elementary'?
Of course House is also based on Holmes..... obviously.
No I have not. I'll check it out on Hulu. Love the Basil Rathbone/Nigel Bruce movies.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

Janitor Of The LORD wrote:
<quoted text>
Mythology? That certainly isn't bigoted, now is it?
The only reason you'd be insulted by a factual statement like that is if you cannot handle facts. Until something is supported by substantiated evidence it is mythology. You have no evidence, so it's mythology. Simple.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

Elohim wrote:
<quoted text>No I have not. I'll check it out on Hulu. Love the Basil Rathbone/Nigel Bruce movies.

Basil was great in those movies. I found Bruce's portrayal of Watson to be a bit to comic for my tastes. Not a worthy companion for Holmes. I still enjoyed the movies very much.

Jeremy Brett/Edward Hardwick are my favorite Holmes/Watson.

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Arlington, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

Judged:

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, you either misunderstood or you are purposely distorting what he wrote.
You are doing this a lot lately. If you cannot respond to the actual content of the post then I would prefer you simply not reply.
If you don't want to learn then fine, stay stupid. See if I care.
Mugwump

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Wouldn't it be easier if you just pointed out where you got you start point (2B bp) and end point (?) from.

Asked this a few days ago (to be fair you were in a bar so will let you off) but you did say it was a good question.

Most importent I guess is the end point - number of bp remaining in the dino DNA as you suggest was found.

Or is the end point the problem for you?

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

One way or another wrote:
<quoted text>
Must you always prove you are a moron.
Radio waves can travel through walls.
Go back to kindergarten .
Hey, Jimmy! How does fit into your light 'hypothesis'?

http://www.slashgear.com/mona-lisa-goes-to-th...

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013/01/18/nas...

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, Jimmy! How does fit into your light 'hypothesis'?
http://www.slashgear.com/mona-lisa-goes-to-th...
http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013/01/18/nas...
Maybe they could beam Jimmy there next.

Level 6

Arlington, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

Judged:

Mugwump wrote:
Wouldn't it be easier if you just pointed out where you got you start point (2B bp)? from.
The starting point is the genome size of T-rex which I est. at 2B bp. Seems reasonable. Birds and reptiles range around 1B to 3B bps. Sorry, but nobody to my knowledge has ever sequenced a dino DNA last time I checked. Maybe you have another suggestion?

Level 6

Arlington, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

Judged:

Mugwump wrote:
Most importent I guess is the end point - number of bp remaining in the dino DNA as you suggest was found.
Or is the end point the problem for you?
I saw the amount in a rewiew of M. Schweitzer's article. I remember it was like 2,000 or 3,000 bps or not quite enough for a full gene but enough for some proteins. I tried to located the article but couldn't find it. Maybe I'll look again. But the point is that it doesn't matter. All I need is some remains. Even 1 bp would do it. If the 521 year half-life of DNA is correct, and it is published, peer-reviewed research, then this does not bode well for evolution given M. Schweitzer's research. Obviously I am thrilled and you guys hate it but it is what it is.
Mugwump

Bradford, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
One of my favorite Sherlock Holmes stories.
Have you watched 'Elementary'?
Of course House is also based on Holmes..... obviously.
On the Holmes front ( can you see what I did there?- comedy gold)

Not sure if depends whether you have and ipad / kindle or whatnot but you can download the Sherlock collection for free - top stuff.

And on 'elementary' and apologies for getting a patriotic on your ass - much preferred 'Sherlock', done by the BBC - starring benedict cumberbatch and Martin freeman.

It sticks reasonably closely to the books but simply set in modern times.

Oh and we did it first you thieving yank scum :-)
Elohim

Branford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Basil was great in those movies. I found Bruce's portrayal of Watson to be a bit to comic for my tastes. Not a worthy companion for Holmes. I still enjoyed the movies very much.
Jeremy Brett/Edward Hardwick are my favorite Holmes/Watson.
I was thinking the same thought about Bruce during lunchbreak. The BBC version from the '90's was great.
Mugwump

Bradford, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
I saw the amount in a rewiew of M. Schweitzer's article. I remember it was like 2,000 or 3,000 bps or not quite enough for a full gene but enough for some proteins. I tried to located the article but couldn't find it. Maybe I'll look again. But the point is that it doesn't matter. All I need is some remains. Even 1 bp would do it. If the 521 year half-life of DNA is correct, and it is published, peer-reviewed research, then this does not bode well for evolution given M. Schweitzer's research. Obviously I am thrilled and you guys hate it but it is what it is.
Ok it's just that I can't see any reference in Schweitzers research to finding actual DNA - and without your endpoint (or start point depending on your point of view) then your half life argument is moot.

So yes, if you can dig out the article would be dandy.

“Cleaning Up Christianity ”

Level 5

Since: Jan 13

Topix Badlands

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
The only reason you'd be insulted by a factual statement like that is if you cannot handle facts. Until something is supported by substantiated evidence it is mythology. You have no evidence, so it's mythology. Simple.
Simple for the simple minded, perhaps.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

Janitor Of The LORD wrote:
<quoted text>
Simple for the simple minded, perhaps.
What is simple for all minds, should be simple for the simple minded. That does not appear to be the case. Do you have evidence to support your claims of there being a god, specifically your god?

“I am evolving as fast as I can”

Since: Jan 08

Brooklyn, in Dayton OH now

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

QuiteCrazy wrote:
I don't see the point of it really. It's not proven.
Ever here the line, "We've yet to find the missing link,"?
Doesn't sound like a fact.
There is no such thing as 'A' missing link. That's a B-Movie fairytale pushed by Creationists who think it somehow damages science. The reality is we have found thousands of links, in the form of transitional fossils, that clearly demonstrate many of the changes evolutionary theory has explained.

Level 6

Arlington, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

Judged:

Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok it's just that I can't see any reference in Schweitzers research to finding actual DNA - and without your endpoint (or start point depending on your point of view) then your half life argument is moot.
So yes, if you can dig out the article would be dandy.
What do you mean you don't see any reference in Schweitzers research? It's clear as a bell! Why are you denying it? I quoted her own words. Are you saying she's a liar and the peer review process failed?

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

TedHOhio wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no such thing as 'A' missing link. That's a B-Movie fairytale pushed by Creationists who think it somehow damages science. The reality is we have found thousands of links, in the form of transitional fossils, that clearly demonstrate many of the changes evolutionary theory has explained.
I agree, but for the uneducated any transitional fossil could be called a missing link. There will always be some links never filled, it is the nature of the fossil record. Of course saying that is evidence of a miracle is the same as saying a miracle occurred if you did not have photographic evidence of your grandfather, but you had photographic evidence of your father and great grandfather.

And we could even claim that the missing link has been found, it is Homo Erectus. That is the imaginary line that Duane Gish and another creationist drew for us. I can't remember which creatard claimed what but they obviously forgot to talk to each other one claimed that H erectus was definitely a man and the other claimed he was definitely an ape. Of course the break off point from chimpanzees and bonobos was much earlier than that, I just love to use this as proof that even creationist "experts" cannot agree on who is a man and who is an ape.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2013

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>

You are so defensive. So you don't understand. Just say so.

You just want to plug numbers into a formula to get the answer you want. You have to understand the numbers and where they come from FIRST.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••