Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 Full story: www.scientificblogging.com 173,589

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand." Full Story

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Dubai, UAE

#114640 Jan 18, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Light ** IS ** EM radiation. The ONLY difference is the wave length. They all travel at the same speed.
There is TONS of research on the speed of electromagnetic radiation. All our satellites functioning and information is dependent on this speed being a constant of just under 300 k/s.
http://www.lbl.gov/MicroWorlds/ALSTool/EMSpec...
No, Jimbo is utterly certain that the speed of light was measured JUST ONCE in a 20 meter vacuum tube or whatever.

His utter ignorance of the history and methods of science, along with any basic scientific knowledge, is abysmal. Shall we let him in on the little secret that the speed of light has been measured thousands of times in hundreds of ways? Or just enjoy watching him hoist himself on his own petard again, and again, and again?

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Dubai, UAE

#114641 Jan 18, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Heineken is the only beer I found everywhere. US, Europe, Asia, Africa. One hell of a marketing and distribution system.
And most of the time, it'll do me just fine. Great hot weather beer...we get a fair bit of that around here...

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#114642 Jan 18, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Go study any basic physics and science will prove "such". Light is just part of the whole spectrum of electromagnetic radiation, which includes everything from the longest radio waves, to microwaves, to infrared, to light, to ultraviolet light, to x-rays, to gamma radiation.
They are all the same thing - PHOTONS - and the only difference is the wavelength. Longer wavelength (lower energy, radio end), to shorter wavelengths (higher energy, gamma end). On any test ever conducted, the speed of all these wavelengths in a vacuum is the same.
And it does not matter squat whether the vacuum is truly "empty" or contains dark matter and dark energy, as they do not interact with photons (which is why they are dark, and hard to detect). The photons pass right through at the speed of light (which should really be called "the speed of electromagnetic radiation".
Not only that but here is another anti-vacuum argument for you.
Scientists know that what we call empty space is also suffused - constantly but at the sub Planck level, with a sea of virtual particle-anti-particle pairs that flash into and out of existence spontaneously trillions of times a second. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it for a while!

His argument would be like someone saying that big waves that wash up on the shore are not of the same nature as the little waves that wash up on the shore.

He is that ________(fill in the blank).

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#114643 Jan 18, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Heineken is the only beer I found everywhere. US, Europe, Asia, Africa. One hell of a marketing and distribution system.

Heineken is pretty good, but not as good as the hype.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#114644 Jan 18, 2013
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Mark your calenders: Next week is the one year anniversary of Jimmy falling on his ass.(And my birthday)

Happy Birthday a week early.

and Happy Billionaire day to Jimmy.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#114645 Jan 18, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, Jimbo is utterly certain that the speed of light was measured JUST ONCE in a 20 meter vacuum tube or whatever.
His utter ignorance of the history and methods of science, along with any basic scientific knowledge, is abysmal. Shall we let him in on the little secret that the speed of light has been measured thousands of times in hundreds of ways? Or just enjoy watching him hoist himself on his own petard again, and again, and again?

It won't matter. He has the door to reality closed, locked, dead bolted, safety chained, nailed shut, steal reinforced and has a large dresser pushed in front of it.
Elohim

Branford, CT

#114646 Jan 18, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
An image IS light alone.
You want me to prove water is wet, too?
How about who is buried in Grants Tomb?
Who committed the "murder" in the Sherlock Holmes story "Silver Blaze"?
Ahhhh... The opium in the curried mutton.... I've said too much.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#114647 Jan 18, 2013
Elohim wrote:
<quoted text>Ahhhh... The opium in the curried mutton.... I've said too much.

Gregory (Scotland Yard detective): "Is there any other point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
Holmes: "To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
Gregory: "The dog did nothing in the night-time."
Holmes: "That was the curious incident."

Silver Blaze - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

#114648 Jan 18, 2013
Poor Ashley. The science keeps confounding his ideas:

http://mashable.com/2013/01/18/nasa-beams-mon...
One way or another

Hollywood, FL

#114649 Jan 18, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Go study any basic physics and science will prove "such". Light is just part of the whole spectrum of electromagnetic radiation, which includes everything from the longest radio waves, to microwaves, to infrared, to light, to ultraviolet light, to x-rays, to gamma radiation.
They are all the same thing - PHOTONS - and the only difference is the wavelength. Longer wavelength (lower energy, radio end), to shorter wavelengths (higher energy, gamma end). On any test ever conducted, the speed of all these wavelengths in a vacuum is the same.
And it does not matter squat whether the vacuum is truly "empty" or contains dark matter and dark energy, as they do not interact with photons (which is why they are dark, and hard to detect). The photons pass right through at the speed of light (which should really be called "the speed of electromagnetic radiation".
Not only that but here is another anti-vacuum argument for you.
Scientists know that what we call empty space is also suffused - constantly but at the sub Planck level, with a sea of virtual particle-anti-particle pairs that flash into and out of existence spontaneously trillions of times a second. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it for a while!
Must you always prove you are a moron.

Radio waves can travel through walls.

Go back to kindergarten .
Elohim

Branford, CT

#114650 Jan 18, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Gregory (Scotland Yard detective): "Is there any other point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
Holmes: "To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
Gregory: "The dog did nothing in the night-time."
Holmes: "That was the curious incident."
Silver Blaze - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
When I was a kid I found a 2nd edition copy in a trash heap. I still have it 40 years later.

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

#114651 Jan 18, 2013
One way or another wrote:
Too bad science fell way short on its test from the earth to the moon and back, where science claimed it took a FEW seconds for a photon to make it into the collector. A FEW seconds means 3 or more seconds
The average distance from the Earth to the Moon is 1.282 light-seconds.

From the Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary: "few" - "consisting of or amounting to only a small number" (Note: The word "few" does not require that it be at least 3.)

1.282 is a small number

Where's the problem, Ashley?

Oh, right, it's with you.

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

#114652 Jan 18, 2013
One way or another wrote:
What a piece of **** science is, claiming that light can carry images.
Yeah, we must be all imagining that we are receiving TV signals via fiber optics, eh? Should I complain to Verizon?

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Arlington, VA

#114653 Jan 18, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Urb, you don't know what you are talking about. In any case, my result is not disagreeing with yours so what's your problem?
The question of repeated halvings is a damned easy one. Sorry if my approach based on the logic of the situation (and yielding the same result as your precious formula) is over your head. This merely indicates to me that you are a rote learner who flounders whenever you cannot find the solution in a text book and does not understand the underlying logic but merely memorises, thinking that that equates to understanding.
Now I get why things like the nested hierarchy, which actually requires some thinking, are beyond you.
You can blabber all you want but you still did it wrong. Stop making excuses and learn to use the big boy formulas. It's not that difficult. If you simply divide time into smaller portions all you wind up with is equal parts of the whole. Half life doesn't work like that. Grow a set.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#114654 Jan 18, 2013
One way or another wrote:
<quoted text>
Must you always prove you are a moron.
Radio waves can travel through walls.
Go back to kindergarten .
Walls can attenuate RF. As does distance, junior.

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

#114655 Jan 18, 2013
One way or another wrote:
Radio waves can travel through walls.
EHF radio waves can't (unless the wall is transparent).

And even non-EHF waves can't depending upon what the wall is made out of.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#114656 Jan 18, 2013
Elohim wrote:
<quoted text>When I was a kid I found a 2nd edition copy in a trash heap. I still have it 40 years later.
I had the complete collection when I was a kid. I don't know how many times I read those stories. Good stuff.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#114657 Jan 18, 2013
One way or another wrote:
<quoted text>
Must you always prove you are a moron.
Radio waves can travel through walls.
Go back to kindergarten .

What the EM radiation can penetrate depends on its wave length.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#114658 Jan 18, 2013
Elohim wrote:
<quoted text>When I was a kid I found a 2nd edition copy in a trash heap. I still have it 40 years later.

One of my favorite Sherlock Holmes stories.

Have you watched 'Elementary'?

Of course House is also based on Holmes..... obviously.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#114659 Jan 18, 2013
QuiteCrazy wrote:
<quoted text>
Was I the one with the condescendent remark at first hand?
Perhaps you have a problem with someone thinking differently than you? Well, since it seems to be the case. Wake up Kitty, it's a big world, tons of opinions. Try not to get mean and nasty when one pops up. Like you already know, Topix is big, opinions will flow.
Good luck with that
You cannot deflect what you stated. You hate everyone who is unique than you and you use religious mythology to justify that hatred. You're easy to see a mile away, bigots like you are always so easy to make come out into the open.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 27 min dirtclod 116,555
Bobby Jindal: "I'm Not an Evolutionary Biologist" 38 min Cordwainer Trout 5
The Satanic Character of Social Darwinism 1 hr Bluenose 495
It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 2 hr Chimney1 137,087
Can the universe be God's brain? (Jun '07) 3 hr thewordofme 57
There is no scientific evidence whatsoever for ... 7 hr thewordofme 156
Satan's Lies and Scientist Guys 16 hr TedHOhio 5
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Evolution Debate People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••