Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 | Posted by: Cash | Full story: www.scientificblogging.com

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."
Comments
111,541 - 111,560 of 171,391 Comments Last updated 2 hrs ago

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

One way or another wrote:
Science claims space is a vacuum
Nope.

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Judged:

ChristineM wrote:
Where do you get 2,000,000,000 for N0
Why only 10000 for t
I thought you argument was meant to show the half-life of dinosaur DNA
Ahh I forgot, you are a new earther so 10,000 years seems right for dinosaurs.
Have you seen that creationist museum with the kid riding a dinosaur truly educational right?
No, I used two different, independent peer-reviewed professional papers research results and appled them using real data which strongly supports a young earth creation. Based on the reported half-life of DNA of 521 years, the estimated beginning amount of Dino DNA of 2B base pairs and the amount of DNA remaining discovered and reported by Dr. Mary Schweitzer, I used the standard half-life formula to arrive at 10,000 years. Which is roughly about what I would expect. It seems you evos have a real problem on your hands.
Mugwump

Workington, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I used two different, independent peer-reviewed professional papers research results and appled them using real data which strongly supports a young earth creation. Based on the reported half-life of DNA of 521 years, the estimated beginning amount of Dino DNA of 2B base pairs and the amount of DNA remaining discovered and reported by Dr. Mary Schweitzer, I used the standard half-life formula to arrive at 10,000 years. Which is roughly about what I would expect. It seems you evos have a real problem on your hands.
Hi Urb can you just point to the parts of the papers that

A) suggest 2B Dino DNA Base pairs
B) where Dr Schweitzer quoted the amount (would need to be the number of base pairs I guess) of DNA remaining

Thanks

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Space is not a vacuum.

But your brain is.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Immunology
More original science by Jim Ryan
In the following I would suggest that science study children that rarely wear shoes or don't wear shoes at all. I would divide the study into different nations or groups of nations with basically, the same diseases.
I would divide the shoeless-- because of intense poverty, from the people and children that choose to go shoeless and those that rarely or almost never go without shoes.
I might look at the data as the mostly shoeless by desire as mentally and possibly physically, stronger and therefore, more resistant to disease, unless science finds differently.
It may be that kids and people exposed to the pathogens in the dirt, grass and mud puddles on a constant basis, build stronger immune systems, at least for those that choose to go barefoot.
Yes

What does your lit. review reveal? That is the first step after coming up with a scientific idea. NOT publication.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>

Sorry, science does not work this way. I have explained a number of things wrong with just slapping numbers into a formula and why that does not past mustard in real science.

Further the Dino DNA remnants indicate that the Dinos in question were at least 1.5 million years old (how long it takes for aggrated DNA to become unreadable) base on the hypothized 521 year half life.

Even worse for you is that the 521 year estimate was based on AVERAGE half life of bird DNA (Moa) that were dated with the same geological techniques that dinos are dated. The standard dating methods were authoritative as they are in all real science.

It is also noted that DNA half-life is going to be very dependent upon the environment the DNA is deposited in. Can you think of a better environment than a O2 free, bacteria free, dry, hermetically sealed chunk of fossil? Me neither.

At any rate it is clear (AGAIN) that you don't know anything about the real world application of science or the standards science has for how research and analysis of data is conducted.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
B) where Dr Schweitzer quoted the amount (would need to be the number of base pairs I guess) of DNA remaining
Thanks

He likes picking numbers out of his arse that seem to support his contention. He is a true pseudoscientific, creationist, through and through. Kent Hovind would be proud of him.

Level 6

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Judged:

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, science does not work this way. I have explained a number of things wrong with just slapping numbers into a formula and why that does not past mustard in real science.
Further the Dino DNA remnants indicate that the Dinos in question were at least 1.5 million years old (how long it takes for aggrated DNA to become unreadable) base on the hypothized 521 year half life.
Even worse for you is that the 521 year estimate was based on AVERAGE half life of bird DNA (Moa) that were dated with the same geological techniques that dinos are dated. The standard dating methods were authoritative as they are in all real science.
It is also noted that DNA half-life is going to be very dependent upon the environment the DNA is deposited in. Can you think of a better environment than a O2 free, bacteria free, dry, hermetically sealed chunk of fossil? Me neither.
At any rate it is clear (AGAIN) that you don't know anything about the real world application of science or the standards science has for how research and analysis of data is conducted.
Nonsense.

Level 6

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Judged:

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
He likes picking numbers out of his arse that seem to support his contention. He is a true pseudoscientific, creationist, through and through. Kent Hovind would be proud of him.
Lying dope.

Level 6

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks
Good questions. Tomorrow. On phone at bar now.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Nonsense.

LOL. You even know you are wrong. Hysterical.

Welcome to real science. It takes real study and real work.

How is your biology study coming?

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Lying dope.

You take lying dope? that explains a tremendous amount.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>

take your time. Make up something good. I will keep knocking them out of the park.
Mugwump

Workington, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
No problem - enjoy your Beer (even if it is American Lager)
Mugwump

Workington, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
take your time. Make up something good. I will keep knocking them out of the park.
Nah, when it comes to number progressions its a piece of American Beer (sorry could resist)

a) define your start point (or end point if you see what I mean)
b) define your formula (and back it up, based on numerous observed correlations)
c) define any assumptions made

And spit out an end point

And Bobs your Aunties live-in lover, you have a point
Mugwump

Workington, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

couldn't resist for Gods sake - I'm turning in, have an early meeting
Avanzado

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Judged:

Wikipedia is for brain dead morons, that believe anything they are told.
Whos IQ is higher than primitive human animals? Advanced Alien Beings. They wont even contact the humanoid..........the designers will not even acknowledge human existance.......They just made up a story and made the human animal believe.....end of story!

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Space is not a vacuum.
Science claims space is a vacuum
Space is a partial vacuum.

Science claims that space is a partial vacuum.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
Space is a partial vacuum.
Science claims that space is a partial vacuum.
Incidently, the 'partial' vacuum of space is the major cause of orbit degradation for near-orbit objects.

I think Jimmy may have even referenced this (by mistake, I'm sure).

Level 6

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2013

Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
No problem - enjoy your Beer (even if it is American Lager)
Those are ok when hot and thirsty but prefer a west coast double hop India pale ale. Rich complex amber yet balanced. Ex. Sierra nevada pale ale or widmer bros. Drifter pale ale.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••