Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 180369 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

Mugwump

Bradford, UK

#114354 Jan 13, 2013
One way or another wrote:
Spin electron rate earth gravity
Original work
By Jim Ryan
Supported by evidence
EDEE!
As everything is connected to everything and everyone, so too must earths spin and rotational rates, as well as electromagnetism and gravity.
From my perspective at this time, the reason science does not understand electromagnetisim or gravity, is because science cannot measure spin rate in electrons, so as to compare with the spin rate of the
Electrons in our bodies-- as a reason we do not feel the spinning of the earth and more.
The possibility exists that electrons spin correlates to either the earths spin rate on its axis, the rotational rate around our barycenter or possibly a combination.
If science were to use earths spin rate first, in doing test within the electromagnetic field, it may reveal much more. Do the electrons in our bodies spin at 1000 miles per hour and is that the reason we don't feel the earth spinning as it does?
You do realise that electrons don't spin in the way you think don't you.

F$&k can someone explain to me why I even bothered asking that question
Mugwump

Bradford, UK

#114355 Jan 13, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
Jimbo is still good for a laugh.
He repeatedly shows that he has no clue of the concept of density.
Wow, you yanks DO get irony :-)
Mugwump

Bradford, UK

#114356 Jan 13, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
I will not speak to willful idiots.
Out of interest as a professional in the field would be interested in your opinion.

Whilst it is apparent that for the last 6 months or so Jimbo won't / can't respond to critisms of his fluff, which is it (can't or won't)?

I guess my question is , do you think he reads opposing posts but doesn't answer because he knows he can't defend his ideas or actually is so delusional that he TOTALLY believes his nonsense.

I am actually hoping for the former if that makes sense.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#114357 Jan 13, 2013
Alien Outlaw wrote:
Its scary, its beyond comprehension......but its real.......
Hey man, if aliens controlling us all is beyond comprehension then how do you justify it as a valid claim?

Seriously, we already have Jimbo on this thread. Are you trying to make sure that we know there are people more hopeless than him? THAT'S scary.

“May you be at peace.”

Since: Nov 07

Mars

#114358 Jan 13, 2013
Carrie Geren Scoggins wrote:
<quoted text>Sorces of information. include the following, and if is about the Darwinism being racist, look up his racist book "In The Decent Of Man." Nova's "Decoding Neanderthals," and "The Twisted Cross," by Carr, concerning the false religion part. Also, Ed Deckers book on Freemasonry, John Ankerberg's countercult books such as "The Encyclopedia of New Age Cults And False Religions," Texe Marr's Dark Majesty," exposing the Freemasonry cult and their racism in his many books. Gary Kah's "New World Religions," ae all good sources of information. All of these books have bibliographies and footnotes citing their sources for legitimacy and accuracy. Carrie Geren Scoggins, Facebook me Libertarian Party Of TN Carrie Geren Scoggins or personal page Carrie Geren Scoggins

All of this has been debunked long ago
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#114359 Jan 13, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
All of this has been debunked long ago
She got 5 friends on facebook.

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#114360 Jan 13, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Then again, it could by WHY he's nuts.
Hey!

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#114361 Jan 13, 2013
Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
At least 3.
Hard to believe, isn't it?
What's your excuse?

“May you be at peace.”

Mars

#114362 Jan 14, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Hey!

Hey, Nano. Long time no read.
Level 6

Since: Aug 07

United States

#114363 Jan 14, 2013
I posted two peer-reviewed research papers. The first reported the half-life of DNA is 521 years under ideal preseveration conditions. The second (also peer-reviewed professional science) was further research on the discovery of real dinosaur soft tissue including intact DNA. I thought this would be interesting. Guess not.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#114364 Jan 14, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Hey!
Nano, my love, YOU would drive me crazy as well, but the madness that you inspire in me would be expressed much differently!

;-)

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#114365 Jan 14, 2013
I let my work speak for itself.
It sure does. No doubt about that.
One way or another

United States

#114366 Jan 14, 2013
The science of running by Jim Ryan.

Yes, I used to run 10 miles a day for about 2 years. For whatever reason, I started counting a cadence in my head, that matched the cadence of my footfalls and my breathing, which synced body and mind, helping me to get into a trance like state, allowing me to run mile after mile without stress and the last mile I could run almost flat out.

I know they teach different things today, but give my method a try, I think you'll like it. By the way, keep your eyes focused just in front of you, on the ground.

The cadence in running I used to use was, "one two three one", " one two three two", "one two three three", and keep going.

It's a 4 count breathing in and then a 4 count breathing out.

Happy running.
One way or another

United States

#114367 Jan 14, 2013
Addendum to my above post on immunity.

It may be that barefoot kids and people exposed to the pathogens in the dirt, grass and mud puddles on a constant basis, build stronger immune systems, at least for those that choose to go barefoot.
One way or another

United States

#114368 Jan 14, 2013
Immunology

More original science by Jim Ryan

In the following I would suggest that science study children that rarely wear shoes or don't wear shoes at all. I would divide the study into different nations or groups of nations with basically, the same diseases.

I would divide the shoeless-- because of intense poverty, from the people and children that choose to go shoeless and those that rarely or almost never go without shoes.

I might look at the data as the mostly shoeless by desire as mentally and possibly physically, stronger and therefore, more resistant to disease, unless science finds differently.

It may be that kids and people exposed to the pathogens in the dirt, grass and mud puddles on a constant basis, build stronger immune systems, at least for those that choose to go barefoot.

Just

“May you be at peace.”

Mars

#114369 Jan 14, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
I posted two peer-reviewed research papers. The first reported the half-life of DNA is 521 years under ideal preseveration conditions. The second (also peer-reviewed professional science) was further research on the discovery of real dinosaur soft tissue including intact DNA. I thought this would be interesting. Guess not.

You need to reread the second article. It did not, in fact, find "intact" DNA. Quite the contrary. There were only short sequences. Not even complete proteins.

Given a half life of 521 years that would be 124,760 havings over 65 million years so with 3 billion base pairs that would leave .00415% of the DNA intact or 24,000 or so, base pairs remaining.

“May you be at peace.”

Mars

#114370 Jan 14, 2013
Immunology
More original science by Jim Ryan
In the following I would suggest that science study children that rarely wear shoes or don't wear shoes at all. I would divide the study into different nations or groups of nations with basically, the same diseases.
I would divide the shoeless-- because of intense poverty, from the people and children that choose to go shoeless and those that rarely or almost never go without shoes.
I might look at the data as the mostly shoeless by desire as mentally and possibly physically, stronger and therefore, more resistant to disease, unless science finds differently.
It may be that kids and people exposed to the pathogens in the dirt, grass and mud puddles on a constant basis, build stronger immune systems, at least for those that choose to go barefoot.
Just

I let your "science" speak for itself.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Since: Jul 09

Minneapolis

#114371 Jan 14, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Out of interest as a professional in the field would be interested in your opinion.
Whilst it is apparent that for the last 6 months or so Jimbo won't / can't respond to critisms of his fluff, which is it (can't or won't)?
I guess my question is , do you think he reads opposing posts but doesn't answer because he knows he can't defend his ideas or actually is so delusional that he TOTALLY believes his nonsense.
I am actually hoping for the former if that makes sense.
Being a lifelong stranger to the concept of disciplined logic, in his mind Original Opinion far exceeds the value of actual science, so the answer would be both--can't AND won't. He may or may not actually believe in his own nonsense, but what seems to be most important to him is that his nonsense gives him the opportunity to thumb his nose at the education system he so completely failed at.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#114372 Jan 14, 2013
I will not speak to willful idiots.
Well, at least we know you don't talk to yourself. That's a step in the right direction. Now, you need to stop listening to the voices in your head.
One way or another

United States

#114373 Jan 14, 2013
Lenski's antibiotic claim.

Original work
By Jim Ryan
Supported by evidence

Lenski and or lederberg should have had the sense to reverse the experiment, to show that when 10 million antibiotic resistantt bacteria were cultured, they produced one that was non antibiotic resistant. One or both should have cultured 10 million bacteria that were non resistant, to see if an antibiotic resistant bacteria developed.
Bacteria may develop both every 10 millionth one as a memory device. If so, that should tell science quite a lot.

For

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Atheist Richard Dawkins Supports Religious ... (Jun '17) 8 hr Frindly 3,205
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 9 hr Regolith Based Li... 223,191
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 11 hr marksman11 164,919
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 22 hr Dogen 83,810
Ten Reason Why Evolution Is a Lie (Jul '09) Sun Al Caplan 1,995
Time Dec 9 THANKS 2
Evolution exposed Dec 8 Dogen 6
More from around the web