Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 | Posted by: Cash | Full story: www.scientificblogging.com

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."
Comments
111,241 - 111,260 of 172,160 Comments Last updated 18 min ago

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

Judged:

One way or another wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you stoned or just stupid?
You say,---You cannot see light until it bounces off something.
Why don't you show us the research you did on this subject. Lol
What a complete maroon as bugs bunny would say.
http://www.livescience.com/3919-human-eye-wor...
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/camera2....

Learn something, for a change.
One way or another

Hollywood, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
You're a complete moron, go away.
LowellGuy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

Since I hadn't signed all my original work, I have done so now.
Ooh, the Jews are gonna be PISSED!

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
Projecting there, how cute. You can't even be bothered to learn the simple mechanics of light and how we see things.
Elohim

Deep River, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

<quoted text>
Keep crying little boy, the laughs are getting better.
Being a professed Sicilian, using a Jew moniker, never speaking to science, much less ever having a thought all your own, you make yourself look like the laughable moron you choose to be Elohim.
Thanks, I think I'll keep this one.
YAWN....... Keep smoking crack Jimbo. It entertains me.
Elohim

Deep River, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

<quoted text>
More projection from an uneducated simpleton.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

<quoted text>
I don't believe in natural selection.

"Perhaps thatís the difference between ID proponents and more sensible people. For most of us, our inability to refute a simple argument that we know is rejected by nearly all scientists is evidence that we need to learn more about science. For ID proponents itís evidence that scientists just canít understand really simple arguments."
http://scienceblogs.com/evolutionblog/2013/01...

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

<quoted text>
As a youngster, I had heard there were people that subscribed to theories like yours ... the eyes have to emit an energy that is returned to the eye to enable sight .... but I thought they were talking about "in antiquity". I had no idea moronic ideas like this were still thriving in some inaccessible inbred society such as yours no doubt is.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

Elohim wrote:
<quoted text>Me too! Came to USA when I was 3 months old. Can barely speak the language. Haven't been back since my parents immigrated.

I have never been there. My biological father was a 1st generation American. His father and mother were from Palermo.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
WRONG ANSWER!

LOL. Yes, caps really settles the issue. But I was dead on balls accurate in my response.

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
The question is not a good one because;
A. it is too easy.
B. it ignores the fact that all 5 could be involved.
C. it ignores my question.
D. does not prove to anyone that you understand what you are talking about.
E. all of the above.
Answer for question 1) is b. For question 2 it is E.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

Tell us what you do, that you consider natural selection.

Evidence of psychopathology

http://www.ablecarpet.biz/Pet_Damage.html
One way or another

Hollywood, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

Judged:

Evidence is great
Funny, I prove NASA and Goddard must be stupid, according to their own web site.

Original work
By Jim Ryan
Supported by evidence

Stupidity of NASA +Goddard

On the website,----http://eclipse.gsf c.nasa.gov/SEhelp/ApolloLaser . html
It claims,--------- scientists have been able to determine the round-trip travel time that gives the distance between the two bodies at any time to an accuracy of about 3 centimeters.
I say, WOW, what a marvel.
On to the next part.
Science claims,---"Lunar ranging involves sending a laser beam through an optical telescope," Dickey said. "The beam enters the telescope where the eye piece would be, and the transmitted beam is expanded to become the diameter of the main mirror, then bounced off the surface toward the reflector on the Moon."
The reflectors are too small to be seen from Earth, so even when the beam is precisely aligned in the telescope, actually hitting a lunar retroreflector array is technically challenging. At the Moon's surface the beam is roughly four miles wide. Scientists liken the task of aiming the beam to using a rifle to hit a moving dime two miles away.
I say,--------so now, with a laser light 4 miles wide and an exact location, probably sending out a beacon or should be, they complain like hell. So much for close, perhaps 500 pound bomb close.
Now here is a crucial piece to my complaint.--------
Once the laser beam hits a reflector, scientists at the ranging observatories use extremely sensitive filtering and amplification equipment to detect the return signal, which is far too weak to be seen with the human eye. Even under good atmospheric viewing conditions, only one photon is received every few seconds.
I say,------read that last sentence very carefully. One photon every few seconds.
Science doesn't say one or two seconds or a couple of seconds. Instead, science claims a FEW seconds, meaning, it took 3 or more seconds for the photon to go from the moon to the earth. That means, that the beam should have taken, 1.3 seconds and not a full 3 seconds or more as NASA and the Goddard space center claim.

According to NASA, this test showed that the speed of light is a lie.

Suck on that Evo morons.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Intense and prolonged anger has a way of interferring with higher cognitive functions. He's not mentally ill, he's just very, very pissed, and he knows that he doesn't know what he's talking about.
You've probably had some education dealing with conflict management, so you would be aware that there are basic goals most people strive to achieve in conflict situations.
In these forums, the most common goals are either Win-Win or Win-Lose, and sometimes Compromise. Ryan knows that he's overmatched in any conceptual engagement, so Win-Win is not an option, and Win-Lose is just too distasteful because he would always end up losing. And Compromise is too complicated, so that's out also. So it ends up that Lose-Lose is his best bet. He doesn't mind losing--as long as you also lose. To him, that is a way to finally see himself as being on equal ground.

You have the dynamic correct, however you may not have access to all the data. He has been crazy from day one. He has Delusional Disorder, Paranoid type. Yes, he has anger issues on top of that.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

Gotta love games.
Moons reflectors bogus
So, the moons reflectors are 239,000 miles from earth, approximately and since the speed of light is 186,000 miles per second, y'all must think that laser beam will get back to earth pretty fast. Actually, the light should return to earth from the moons reflectors in 1.3 seconds, with the reflectors designed to reflect the light back to the point it came from.
However, in the 1.3 seconds the light takes to return to its origin, the earth has moved approx 4,000 miles from the point source of light, according to sciences claim that our galaxy is traveling that fast in 1 second, making it impossible for science to capture any photons, at least according to science.
Science sure is messed up, thinking it can collect photons that are 4,000 miles behind the collector.
At least they depend on all of us being stupid enough to believe them. Well, at least y'all.

2.6 second. TO the moon is 239,000 miles. BACK from the moon is ANOTHER 239,000 miles.

Be crazy if you like, but don't be stupid.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

Your choice
Funny, I prove NASA and Goddard must be stupid, according to their own web site.
You children are the failures.
Stupidity of NASA +Goddard
On the website,----http://eclipse.gsf c.nasa.gov/SEhelp/ApolloLaser . html
It claims,--------- scientists have been able to determine the round-trip travel time that gives the distance between the two bodies at any time to an accuracy of about 3 centimeters.
I say, WOW, what a marvel.
On to the next part.
Science claims,---"Lunar ranging involves sending a laser beam through an optical telescope," Dickey said. "The beam enters the telescope where the eye piece would be, and the transmitted beam is expanded to become the diameter of the main mirror, then bounced off the surface toward the reflector on the Moon."
The reflectors are too small to be seen from Earth, so even when the beam is precisely aligned in the telescope, actually hitting a lunar retroreflector array is technically challenging. At the Moon's surface the beam is roughly four miles wide. Scientists liken the task of aiming the beam to using a rifle to hit a moving dime two miles away.
I say,--------so now, with a laser light 4 miles wide and an exact location, probably sending out a beacon or should be, they complain like hell. So much for close, perhaps 500 pound bomb close.
Now here is a crucial piece to my complaint.--------
Once the laser beam hits a reflector, scientists at the ranging observatories use extremely sensitive filtering and amplification equipment to detect the return signal, which is far too weak to be seen with the human eye. Even under good atmospheric viewing conditions, only one photon is received every few seconds.
I say,------read that last sentence very carefully. One photon every few seconds.
Science doesn't say one or two seconds or a couple of seconds. Instead, science claims a FEW seconds, meaning, it took 3 or more seconds for the photon to go from the moon to the earth. That means, that the beam should have taken, 1.3 seconds and not a full 3 seconds or more as NASA and the Goddard space center claim.
Suck on that Evo morons.

Just proves you don't know how to add.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

Since I hadn't signed all my original work, I have done so now.

Now people will be able to look up your insanity a thousand years from now.

Good job Jim.

I don't remember how many millions did you make on your tackstrip solution to pet psychology?

Another original scientific innovation by Jim Ryan!

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

<quoted text>
Are you stoned or just stupid?
You say,---You cannot see light until it bounces off something.
Why don't you show us the research you did on this subject. Lol
What a complete maroon as bugs bunny would say.

I'm calling the police! You stole the line I stole from Buggs!!!
Alien Outlaw

Virginia, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, but you are willing to accept that everything in the universe came out of nowhere and life just started out of non-living materials and that frogs evolved into princes, right? Walking on water would seem inconsequential compared to all that!
No UC, I accept that the God story had a good brainwashing couple thousand years. Yes, entities did decend from the heavens. And, the humans of that time could not comprehend the truth.So, they cooked up some fantasy so they would not go crazy or get stoned to death. Yes, life did start somewhere out there amoung the galaxies, just not by the "God" they told you.

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

Judged:

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL. Yes, caps really settles the issue. But I was dead on balls accurate in my response.
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
The question is not a good one because;
A. it is too easy.
B. it ignores the fact that all 5 could be involved.
C. it ignores my question.
D. does not prove to anyone that you understand what you are talking about.
E. all of the above.
Answer for question 1) is b. For question 2 it is E.
You got it wrong. It was basically a first-year biology test consisting of just 1 question, open-book, with unlimited time and you failed it. That's about it bad as it gets.

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Judged:

Alien Outlaw wrote:
<quoted text>No UC, I accept that the God story had a good brainwashing couple thousand years. Yes, entities did decend from the heavens. And, the humans of that time could not comprehend the truth.So, they cooked up some fantasy so they would not go crazy or get stoned to death. Yes, life did start somewhere out there amoung the galaxies, just not by the "God" they told you.
So where did the aliens come from? And why was a fantasy about God necessary to conceal the truth about the aliens from other galaxies? How did the alien life start?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••