Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 Full story: www.scientificblogging.com 176,187

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand." Full Story
LowellGuy

United States

#114156 Jan 10, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
I am still recommending you ask your Doctor for a trial of Geodon.
Remarkable that our country would rather lose a potentially productive member of society and possibly pay for him via SSI or, worse, prison than pay the relatively small amount it would cost for his psychiatric treatment. More jails is not a problem, but fully covered healthcare? That would destroy America!
One way or another

Hollywood, FL

#114157 Jan 10, 2013
What what

Lenski's antibiotic claim
If you claim something, show proof.
Lenski and or lederberg should have had the sense to reverse the experiment, to show that when 10 million antibiotic resistantt bacteria were cultured, they produced one that was non antibiotic resistant. One or both should have cultured 10 million bacteria that were non resistant, to see if an antibiotic resistant bacteria developed.
Bacteria may develop both every 10 millionth one as a memory device. If so, that should tell science quite a lot.

By Jim Ryan
Alien Outlaw

Virginia, IL

#114158 Jan 10, 2013
Don King Promoter wrote:
Evolution shouldn't be taught at all because it has nothing to do with science. it is a myth or fairy tale. everything with it can not be proven and has completely no evidence. the evidences of evolution have been found to be forgeries and false
Right, and the guy that walked on water.....that's funny! To many galaxies to count and humans are still talking about a guy that walked on water.....amazing!The primitive human animal is destroying this rock at an alarming rate.....space exploration will only benefit the top 1%.....Which entities will appear first, the God in the Bible or the "Gods" of the cosmos?

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

United States

#114159 Jan 10, 2013
One way or another wrote:
What what
Lenski's antibiotic claim
If you claim something, show proof.
Lenski and or lederberg should have had the sense to reverse the experiment, to show that when 10 million antibiotic resistantt bacteria were cultured, they produced one that was non antibiotic resistant. One or both should have cultured 10 million bacteria that were non resistant, to see if an antibiotic resistant bacteria developed.
Bacteria may develop both every 10 millionth one as a memory device. If so, that should tell science quite a lot.
By Jim Ryan
That bacterial resistance to antiobiotics is an example of evolution is a common misconception and a evolutionists false claim. The only thing this demonstrates is selection of preexisting alleles as there is no mutation involved.

Natural selection occurs when the surviving species is the one that is most adapted to the environment. Clearly, only the surviving competitors reproduce. Therefore, traits that provide the competitive edge will be represented most often succeeding generations.

Mutations do not contribute to the survival of resistant bacteria; the genetic material has not changed.

Level 6

United States

#114160 Jan 10, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Remarkable that our country would rather lose a potentially productive member of society and possibly pay for him via SSI or, worse, prison than pay the relatively small amount it would cost for his psychiatric treatment. More jails is not a problem, but fully covered healthcare? That would destroy America!
It looks like you're getting your wish. The government is going to make it illegal for heathcare to be profitable. Therefore the monetary incentive for a career in healthcare will go away and you will be treated by bored, disgruntled, two-bit government clerks. Careful what you ask for.

Level 6

United States

#114161 Jan 10, 2013
Alien Outlaw wrote:
<quoted text>Right, and the guy that walked on water.....that's funny! To many galaxies to count and humans are still talking about a guy that walked on water.....amazing!The primitive human animal is destroying this rock at an alarming rate.....space exploration will only benefit the top 1%.....Which entities will appear first, the God in the Bible or the "Gods" of the cosmos?
Oh, but you are willing to accept that everything in the universe came out of nowhere and life just started out of non-living materials and that frogs evolved into princes, right? Walking on water would seem inconsequential compared to all that!

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#114162 Jan 11, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>

Yea, a large number of SMI individuals have a record. Most of those charges were from things done when they were either out of control or self medicating (drugs or booze). With the right medications they can be in control of their own lives.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#114163 Jan 11, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
That bacterial resistance to antiobiotics is an example of evolution is a common misconception and a evolutionists false claim. The only thing this demonstrates is selection of preexisting alleles as there is no mutation involved.

Clearly you do not understand even the most basic aspects of evolution. For review can you name the 7 mechanisms of evolution. I have never seen you discuss more than 2, so I am seriously skeptical that you can do this without looking it up.
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text> Natural selection occurs when the surviving species is the one that is most adapted to the environment.

Incorrect. Maybe you should look this up too.
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text> Clearly, only the surviving competitors reproduce. Therefore, traits that provide the competitive edge will be represented most often succeeding generations.

Kinda, sorta, but not exactly right. Good enough to pass a 101 class, but not good enough to pass a higher level one.
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text> Mutations do not contribute to the survival of resistant bacteria; the genetic material has not changed.

Sometimes true, sometimes not true. Mostly not true.

"The problem exists not just because bacterial mutation rates lead to a rapid accumulation of mutations (including drug-resistant mutations), but also because of the selective pressures that antibiotics impose. If a drug-resistant phenotype were to evolve and there were no antibiotic present, then that phenotype would fare no better than any other bacterial phenotype. In other words, it wouldn't flourish, and it might even die out. It is only when antibiotics are used that drug-resistant phenotypes have a selective advantage and survive."

http://www.nature.com/scitable/topicpage/anti...

Again, if you would bother to educate yourself you might be able to hold up a discussion with us. Till then I don't know why you bother.

Level 6

United States

#114164 Jan 11, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Clearly you do not understand even the most basic aspects of evolution. For review can you name the 7 mechanisms of evolution. I have never seen you discuss more than 2, so I am seriously skeptical that you can do this without looking it up.
<quoted text>
Incorrect. Maybe you should look this up too.
<quoted text>
Kinda, sorta, but not exactly right. Good enough to pass a 101 class, but not good enough to pass a higher level one.
<quoted text>
Sometimes true, sometimes not true. Mostly not true.
"The problem exists not just because bacterial mutation rates lead to a rapid accumulation of mutations (including drug-resistant mutations), but also because of the selective pressures that antibiotics impose. If a drug-resistant phenotype were to evolve and there were no antibiotic present, then that phenotype would fare no better than any other bacterial phenotype. In other words, it wouldn't flourish, and it might even die out. It is only when antibiotics are used that drug-resistant phenotypes have a selective advantage and survive."
http://www.nature.com/scitable/topicpage/anti...
Again, if you would bother to educate yourself you might be able to hold up a discussion with us. Till then I don't know why you bother.
Streptococcus pyogenes bacteria cause throat infections in humans, but can be killed with the antibiotic penicillin. If penicillin therapy is not administered correctly, some bacteria may survive. The surviving bacteria are those with a higher level of resistance to penicillin. The living resistant bacteria will reproduce, magnifying the traits of resistance in subsequent generations. This is an example of

a) genetic drift
b) natural selection
c) mutation
d) genetic equilibrium
e) allopatric speciation

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#114165 Jan 11, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, but you are willing to accept that everything in the universe came out of nowhere and life just started out of non-living materials and that frogs evolved into princes, right? Walking on water would seem inconsequential compared to all that!

You are confusing the results of natural law with magic poofing. Gods universe is a orderly place, just as she intended.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#114166 Jan 11, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Streptococcus pyogenes bacteria cause throat infections in humans, but can be killed with the antibiotic penicillin. If penicillin therapy is not administered correctly, some bacteria may survive. The surviving bacteria are those with a higher level of resistance to penicillin. The living resistant bacteria will reproduce, magnifying the traits of resistance in subsequent generations. This is an example of
a) genetic drift
b) natural selection
c) mutation
d) genetic equilibrium
e) allopatric speciation

The question is not a good one because;
A. it is too easy.
B. it ignores the fact that all 5 could be involved.
C. it ignores my question.
D. does not prove to anyone that you understand what you are talking about.
E. all of the above.

Answer for question 1) is b. For question 2 it is E.
One way or another

Hollywood, FL

#114167 Jan 11, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
It looks like you're getting your wish. The government is going to make it illegal for heathcare to be profitable. Therefore the monetary incentive for a career in healthcare will go away and you will be treated by bored, disgruntled, two-bit government clerks. Careful what you ask for.
I don't think that's what it means. That's what I would have done.
One way or another

Hollywood, FL

#114168 Jan 11, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Natural selection occurs when the surviving species is the one that is most adapted to the environment. Clearly, only the surviving competitors reproduce. Therefore, traits that provide the competitive edge will be represented most often succeeding generations.
Mutations do not contribute to the survival of resistant bacteria; the genetic material has not changed.
I don't believe in natural selection.
Elohim

Branford, CT

#114169 Jan 11, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Cool. I am half Sicilian.
Me too! Came to USA when I was 3 months old. Can barely speak the language. Haven't been back since my parents immigrated.
Elohim

Branford, CT

#114170 Jan 11, 2013
<quoted text>
So you're a dumb Sicilian, pretending to be a Jew, according to you pick of a Jewish moniker. That's how good your science is. Lol
LMAO!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAAA. Nice try peckerwood.
Elohim

Branford, CT

#114171 Jan 11, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you nuts? Where do you rightwing whack jobs get this garbage? Do you find it difficult to breathe with your head so far into your colon?
LowellGuy

Haverhill, MA

#114172 Jan 11, 2013
What what
In the butt.
One way or another

Hollywood, FL

#114173 Jan 11, 2013
Wow children, that's got to be some of your best work.
One way or another

Hollywood, FL

#114174 Jan 11, 2013
Your science is coming along pretty good for y'all.
Elohim

Branford, CT

#114175 Jan 11, 2013
Your science is coming along pretty good for y'all.
The same cannot be said for you tho.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why Are There No Transitional Animals Today? (Mar '09) 32 min ChristineM 791
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 47 min Blitzking 142,039
"Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 51 min Thinking 14,512
Why natural selection can't work 2 hr DanFromSmithville 8
Darwin on the rocks 21 hr The Dude 832
Science News (Sep '13) Mon Ricky F 2,961
The conditions necessary for homo sapiens to sp... Sun NoahLovesU 5
More from around the web