Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 | Posted by: Cash | Full story: www.scientificblogging.com

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Comments (Page 5,530)

Showing posts 110,581 - 110,600 of168,506
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

what wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually I own a commercial industrial plumbing shop. I also own a supply house. I'd love to see you attempt to read the plans I have to read. I'd also love to see you bid a hospital. Heck, I'd love to see you attempt the accounting. You'd feel stupid! I do however think someone like kitten would be as asset, I think she would pick it up pretty fast and easily learn the computer programs we use. You and pinky however would be a total waste of money.
More claims, no supporting evidence. You are a slow learner, aren't you?

“What trolls???”

Level 1

Since: Sep 12

Lake Forest, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
More claims, no supporting evidence. You are a slow learner, aren't you?
Not a learner at all.
what

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Pinky And Ze Brain wrote:
<quoted text>Saying that he is a source of dog food is an insult to dogs!
Someone of superior intellect as you should be ashamed of him/herself..very shallow
what

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>More claims, no supporting evidence. You are a slow learner, aren't you?
Your post's are enough supporting evidence to show you are dead weight on society
what

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

<quoted text>I thought you worked at McDonald's?
Nope..don't even eat fast food..it rots your gut
what

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

<quoted text>Not a learner at all.

You two need to find a hotel room, don't forget the lube

Level 5

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Tsk, tsk, that didn't turn out well at all, he must have gotten run over by an extraneous space remover.

Level 5

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

what wrote:
<quoted text>
You've got a pretty smart mouth for a solosexual.

“What trolls???”

Level 1

Since: Sep 12

Lake Forest, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

what wrote:
<quoted text>
How can I not forget? I once forgot that I met a rock smarter than myself.

Level 5

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

<quoted text>Saying that he is a source of dog food is an insult to dogs!
I'm not so sure about that, I've caught dogs eating steaming piles often.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Since: Jul 09

Minneapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

obestiy wrote:
<quoted text>
I also find the "different" people to be very hypocritical when they accuse others of hate..they hate "normal" people and put them down for not being like them. i also find highly intelligent genius people who accuse other of hate to be hypocritical because they put down people who are not on their level of intelligence..you know like someone who gets A+++ in highschool chem vs. someone who may have received a B- in college Chem. its just all a circle, people accuse others of things they are guilty of as well..especially on threads like these..if someone has a very different view, like christianity, ancient aliens, witch craft, vampires, fairies etc. some people get their panties in a bunch and throw insults, call names etc. but get all butt hurt if someone does the same thing to them..its called arrogance.."i can say and do whatever i want, but no one better do it to me because im so high above them that my shizer smells like genetically engineered roses."
Yes, some very, very smart people end up with a short straw in the personality department, but I think it is an over-used stereotype. I suspect that about the same percent of folks who would be happy to get a B+ in any subject might also pull a short straw for personality.

I was lucky enough to have landed lead or supervisor jobs for almost all of my working life. I'm no genius, but I just fit in well being in charge of teams. And I had the good fortune of overseeing the productivity of many folks who were way smarter than me. As a general rule, they had bigger fish to fry than I could ever hope to catch, so they were happy to help me sort out complicated matters any time I asked for help. But of course, there were a very small percent who were stuck at entry level clerical work for the rest of their life because their only real skill was getting A's in college. Those were the ones who gave me the most trouble.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

wtf wrote:
<quoted text>
Religious people aren't the only ones who wonder that, so far no one can answer that question. I believe it's an important question and if it is answered someday we would understand many things better.
So why do you fill in that blank with a non-answer? "God dun it" doesn't answer anything, it's an assertion, and one that's lacking in any evidence so far. Scientists love not knowing, it's one of the reasons they become scientists, because everything they don't know is something they can discover. But your recitation of religious canards and creationists' follies betray that you are not interested in learning, but more interested in asserting things and pretending to know more than you do. Evolution addresses life that is, genesis addresses how things come into being. There are many abiogenesis hypothesis, and the scientific ones are showing some promising results, but those are based on evidence, unlike the abiogensis assertions made in religion.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

wtf wrote:
<quoted text>
He is not correct. Muslims take the Quran literally and are creationist. They are reluctant to accept anything that goes against the Quran at all. If you think gays and transgendered people are treated like crap in the USA, you should see what happens to them over there. Didn't you hear about the Muslim that murdered his own daughter for getting raped. I guess you really don't know crap about all these religions.
Have you spoken to a Muslim on scientific matters? There are a few interviews of Dawkins doing just that, pretty fascinating. No one once claimed that they were good people, just that creationism is almost entirely a christian fallacy, and that is correct.
what

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>You've got a pretty smart mouth for a solosexual.
You said I have a smart mouth..thanks..and another thanks for reminding me I have to go to the VA on Monday and jerk off in a cup

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Minneapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
you cannot fill what does not exist.
I use "spirit" as a term loosely translating to be a sense of well-being. Like you, I don't believe in magic, but I'm sure that a bit of chocolate now and then adds flavor to knowledge.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Minneapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

obesity wrote:
<quoted text>
You sure walk and talk like a drug induced duck..
Just saying
By the way, I can't wait for just sayin and amazing to go out of style
I know what you mean with just sayin, but I still like amazing and won't give it up till they pry it out of my cold dead fingers.
what

Rancho Cordova, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, some very, very smart people end up with a short straw in the personality department, but I think it is an over-used stereotype. I suspect that about the same percent of folks who would be happy to get a B+ in any subject might also pull a short straw for personality.

I was lucky enough to have landed lead or supervisor jobs for almost all of my working life. I'm no genius, but I just fit in well being in charge of teams. And I had the good fortune of overseeing the productivity of many folks who were way smarter than me. As a general rule, they had bigger fish to fry than I could ever hope to catch, so they were happy to help me sort out complicated matters any time I asked for help. But of course, there were a very small percent who were stuck at entry level clerical work for the rest of their life because their only real skill was getting A's in college. Those were the ones who gave me the most trouble.
I agree with the last few sentences..I never finished college because it was taking time from me starting a business. I have to deal with architects and engineers from the state who sat in a class but never worked on a job site..sure they got A's in college but have no clue how these systems work in the real world.
what

Rancho Cordova, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>So why do you fill in that blank with a non-answer? "God dun it" doesn't answer anything, it's an assertion, and one that's lacking in any evidence so far. Scientists love not knowing, it's one of the reasons they become scientists, because everything they don't know is something they can discover. But your recitation of religious canards and creationists' follies betray that you are not interested in learning, but more interested in asserting things and pretending to know more than you do. Evolution addresses life that is, genesis addresses how things come into being. There are many abiogenesis hypothesis, and the scientific ones are showing some promising results, but those are based on evidence, unlike the abiogensis assertions made in religion.

Out of all these posters on here I thought you of all people would know I never said the god dunnit crap..you are reading into oogah boogah and pinkies BS to much.

Level 5

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

what wrote:
<quoted text>
You said I have a smart mouth..thanks..and another thanks for reminding me I have to go to the VA on Monday and jerk off in a cup
So, Monday is "date night"?
what

Rancho Cordova, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>Have you spoken to a Muslim on scientific matters? There are a few interviews of Dawkins doing just that, pretty fascinating. No one once claimed that they were good people, just that creationism is almost entirely a christian fallacy, and that is correct.
Kitten, if you only knew how many Muslims I've spoken to on life religion etc. I talked to many in Iraq and Kuwait. I have great pictures of ninevah, very few people have been there.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 110,581 - 110,600 of168,506
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

15 Users are viewing the Evolution Debate Forum right now

Search the Evolution Debate Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 3 min KAB 127,016
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 4 min Tinka 105,920
god is not real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Jun '06) 50 min Dogen 13,473
Science News NOT related to evolution (Jul '09) Wed MikeF 1,236
Posting for Points in the Evolution Forum (Oct '11) Tue ChristineM 13,936
Science News (Sep '13) Tue nanoanomaly 2,670
Kevin Wingate: ID should be included in science... Tue MikeF 4
•••
•••