Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 Full story: www.scientificblogging.com 176,162

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand." Full Story
wtf

Kent, WA

#113509 Jan 4, 2013
Pinky And Ze Brain wrote:
<quoted text>He isn't a fool. A fool has uses, he does not.
Hypocritical holier than thou peckerhead..I'm sure I've produced more for society and the economy than you have. You and oogah boogah are two peas in a pod, both parasites on the tax payer.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#113510 Jan 4, 2013
Pinky And Ze Brain wrote:
<quoted text>He isn't a fool. A fool has uses, he does not.
Sure he does ... door stop, paper weight, dog food ... etc

“What trolls???”

Level 1

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#113511 Jan 4, 2013
wtf wrote:
<quoted text>
He is not correct. Muslims take the Quran literally and are creationist. They are reluctant to accept anything that goes against the Quran at all. If you think gays and transgendered people are treated like crap in the USA, you should see what happens to them over there. Didn't you hear about the Muslim that murdered his own daughter for getting raped. I guess you really don't know crap about all these religions.
The best countries are the ones that have an atheist-agnostic majority, like China, North Korea, Vietnam, Sweden, Japan, etc. Russia is getting close.
what

Kent, WA

#113513 Jan 4, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>Sure he does ... door stop, paper weight, dog food ... etc
Actually I own a commercial industrial plumbing shop. I also own a supply house. I'd love to see you attempt to read the plans I have to read. I'd also love to see you bid a hospital. Heck, I'd love to see you attempt the accounting. You'd feel stupid! I do however think someone like kitten would be as asset, I think she would pick it up pretty fast and easily learn the computer programs we use. You and pinky however would be a total waste of money.
what

Kent, WA

#113514 Jan 4, 2013
Pinky And Ze Brain wrote:
<quoted text>The best countries are the ones that have an atheist-agnostic majority, like China, North Korea, Vietnam, Sweden, Japan, etc. Russia is getting close.
Haha, you definitely are a parasite..you sound like the typical liberal commie..to lazy to make it on your own so you have to let the tax payer take care of you..the problem with your liberal logic is what ayn rand said " someday you run out of other people's money." Book smarts only take you so far, there are a few more things you need to make it in this world. I'm glad you showed your true colors, it proved how much of a waste you are.

“What trolls???”

Level 1

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#113515 Jan 4, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure he does ... door stop, paper weight, dog food ... etc
Saying that he is a source of dog food is an insult to dogs!

“What trolls???”

Level 1

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#113516 Jan 4, 2013
what wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually I own a commercial industrial plumbing shop. I also own a supply house. I'd love to see you attempt to read the plans I have to read. I'd also love to see you bid a hospital. Heck, I'd love to see you attempt the accounting. You'd feel stupid! I do however think someone like kitten would be as asset, I think she would pick it up pretty fast and easily learn the computer programs we use. You and pinky however would be a total waste of money.
I thought you worked at McDonald's?

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#113517 Jan 4, 2013
what wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually I own a commercial industrial plumbing shop. I also own a supply house. I'd love to see you attempt to read the plans I have to read. I'd also love to see you bid a hospital. Heck, I'd love to see you attempt the accounting. You'd feel stupid! I do however think someone like kitten would be as asset, I think she would pick it up pretty fast and easily learn the computer programs we use. You and pinky however would be a total waste of money.
More claims, no supporting evidence. You are a slow learner, aren't you?

“What trolls???”

Level 1

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#113518 Jan 4, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>
More claims, no supporting evidence. You are a slow learner, aren't you?
Not a learner at all.
what

Kent, WA

#113519 Jan 4, 2013
Pinky And Ze Brain wrote:
<quoted text>Saying that he is a source of dog food is an insult to dogs!
Someone of superior intellect as you should be ashamed of him/herself..very shallow
what

Kent, WA

#113520 Jan 4, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>More claims, no supporting evidence. You are a slow learner, aren't you?
Your post's are enough supporting evidence to show you are dead weight on society
what

Kent, WA

#113521 Jan 4, 2013
Pinky And Ze Brain wrote:
<quoted text>I thought you worked at McDonald's?
Nope..don't even eat fast food..it rots your gut
what

Kent, WA

#113522 Jan 4, 2013
Pinky And Ze Brain wrote:
<quoted text>Not a learner at all.

You two need to find a hotel room, don't forget the lube

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#113524 Jan 4, 2013
Tsk, tsk, that didn't turn out well at all, he must have gotten run over by an extraneous space remover.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#113525 Jan 4, 2013
what wrote:
<quoted text>
You two need to find a hotel room, don't forget the lube
You've got a pretty smart mouth for a solosexual.

“What trolls???”

Level 1

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#113526 Jan 4, 2013
what wrote:
<quoted text>
You two need to find a hotel room, don't forget the lube
How can I not forget? I once forgot that I met a rock smarter than myself.

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#113527 Jan 4, 2013
Pinky And Ze Brain wrote:
<quoted text>Saying that he is a source of dog food is an insult to dogs!
I'm not so sure about that, I've caught dogs eating steaming piles often.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Since: Jul 09

Minneapolis

#113529 Jan 4, 2013
obestiy wrote:
<quoted text>
I also find the "different" people to be very hypocritical when they accuse others of hate..they hate "normal" people and put them down for not being like them. i also find highly intelligent genius people who accuse other of hate to be hypocritical because they put down people who are not on their level of intelligence..you know like someone who gets A+++ in highschool chem vs. someone who may have received a B- in college Chem. its just all a circle, people accuse others of things they are guilty of as well..especially on threads like these..if someone has a very different view, like christianity, ancient aliens, witch craft, vampires, fairies etc. some people get their panties in a bunch and throw insults, call names etc. but get all butt hurt if someone does the same thing to them..its called arrogance.."i can say and do whatever i want, but no one better do it to me because im so high above them that my shizer smells like genetically engineered roses."
Yes, some very, very smart people end up with a short straw in the personality department, but I think it is an over-used stereotype. I suspect that about the same percent of folks who would be happy to get a B+ in any subject might also pull a short straw for personality.

I was lucky enough to have landed lead or supervisor jobs for almost all of my working life. I'm no genius, but I just fit in well being in charge of teams. And I had the good fortune of overseeing the productivity of many folks who were way smarter than me. As a general rule, they had bigger fish to fry than I could ever hope to catch, so they were happy to help me sort out complicated matters any time I asked for help. But of course, there were a very small percent who were stuck at entry level clerical work for the rest of their life because their only real skill was getting A's in college. Those were the ones who gave me the most trouble.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#113530 Jan 4, 2013
wtf wrote:
<quoted text>
Religious people aren't the only ones who wonder that, so far no one can answer that question. I believe it's an important question and if it is answered someday we would understand many things better.
So why do you fill in that blank with a non-answer? "God dun it" doesn't answer anything, it's an assertion, and one that's lacking in any evidence so far. Scientists love not knowing, it's one of the reasons they become scientists, because everything they don't know is something they can discover. But your recitation of religious canards and creationists' follies betray that you are not interested in learning, but more interested in asserting things and pretending to know more than you do. Evolution addresses life that is, genesis addresses how things come into being. There are many abiogenesis hypothesis, and the scientific ones are showing some promising results, but those are based on evidence, unlike the abiogensis assertions made in religion.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#113531 Jan 4, 2013
wtf wrote:
<quoted text>
He is not correct. Muslims take the Quran literally and are creationist. They are reluctant to accept anything that goes against the Quran at all. If you think gays and transgendered people are treated like crap in the USA, you should see what happens to them over there. Didn't you hear about the Muslim that murdered his own daughter for getting raped. I guess you really don't know crap about all these religions.
Have you spoken to a Muslim on scientific matters? There are a few interviews of Dawkins doing just that, pretty fascinating. No one once claimed that they were good people, just that creationism is almost entirely a christian fallacy, and that is correct.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 7 min ChromiuMan 132,217
Science News (Sep '13) 16 min positronium 2,943
How would creationists explain... 34 min Dogen 302
Genetic entropy 15 hr Discord 159
24 hour dental emergency (Nov '13) 17 hr Wally West 3
An atheistic view on evolution vs. a godly view... 22 hr The Dude 466
What you should know about Tuesday's vote on ev... (Feb '08) Wed IAMIOOWAN 516
More from around the web