Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 20 comments on the Feb 24, 2008, www.scientificblogging.com story titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

“What trolls???”

Level 1

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#113416 Jan 3, 2013
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
There is NO argument in the science community. The only argument is with you guys...the creotards
They haven't evolved. That's why they don't believe in evolution.

Their intelligence certainly hasn't evolved.

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#113417 Jan 3, 2013
appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>
If you are looking for a fish giving birth to a frog, that would be a strawman argument. But to say that frogs have some fish ancestry, that would be pointing out that microevolution is how species eventually branch out and become different organisms. Each generation of each species is in transition.
No, I wouldn't expect that. But for example, the Lenski long-term experiments with E.coli has seen over 50,000 generations now and no trace of them evolving into anything other than varieties of E.coli. If these were chimp generations, you would have "macroevolution" observed with chimps to humans by now. But nothing at all with E.coli or plants or any organsim. All I am saying is, you've got this theory of evolution that is impossible to observe which then logically takes it outside the confines of the scientific method. You may be theorizing about history with fossils and genes but cannot observe it happening.
Mugwump

UK

#113418 Jan 4, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I wouldn't expect that. But for example, the Lenski long-term experiments with E.coli has seen over 50,000 generations now and no trace of them evolving into anything other than varieties of E.coli. If these were chimp generations, you would have "macroevolution" observed with chimps to humans by now. But nothing at all with E.coli or plants or any organsim. All I am saying is, you've got this theory of evolution that is impossible to observe which then logically takes it outside the confines of the scientific method. You may be theorizing about history with fossils and genes but cannot observe it happening.
And to re-iterate the point, this means creation science is (by your logic) outside the realms of real science.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#113419 Jan 4, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
You just start ranting and never check your facts.
e.coli has gone through a lot of generations (which provides resolution, not MORE evolution). Chimps evolve no faster nor slower than ecoli. Where you picked up this mythassumptions I have no idea, only that it does not come from established evolution literature. You are what you read and apparently you only read crap.
Further evolution is even more observable in the genetic record. Speciation (= macroevolution).
So, macroevolution IS observable (vs. your lies to the contrary). Since it is observable we developed a theory to explain it. We call the theory that explains the observed facts of evolution 'The Theory of Evolution'. Look it up some time.

“That's just MY opinion...”

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#113420 Jan 4, 2013
Dogen wrote:
You just start ranting and never check your facts.
e.coli has gone through a lot of generations (which provides resolution, not MORE evolution). Chimps evolve no faster nor slower than ecoli. Where you picked up this mythassumptions I have no idea, only that it does not come from established evolution literature. You are what you read and apparently you only read crap.
Further evolution is even more observable in the genetic record. Speciation (= macroevolution).
So, macroevolution IS observable (vs. your lies to the contrary). Since it is observable we developed a theory to explain it. We call the theory that explains the observed facts of evolution 'The Theory of Evolution'. Look it up some time.
I watched the grass in front of my house for over an hour today and was unable to observe any growth. According to Cowboy Observability Theory, I can now throw away my lawn mower. Yay!

“I started out with nothing”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#113421 Jan 4, 2013
obesity wrote:
Actually what a wet dream produces does make a difference in life.
Drink whatever you want

Level 6

#113422 Jan 4, 2013
obesity wrote:
<quoted text>
Did I ever say anything about god? Don't assume I believe in god. Science just can't very many questions..I will check out your link, but I'm sure it's the same bs like all the other links I've read on this thread...if not ALL I ask can be provided that must mean science has holes and many unanswered questions.
As far as wet dreams go..the naughty librarian turns me on, but that's as far as nerdiness goes for me...I'm sure you have turned many geeks heads in your life.
I donít know, did you?

You certainly implied that goddidt and after all, I can only base by assessment of you on the content of your posts.

There ya go, instantly ďbs-ingĒ something before you ever looked at it you are co narrow minded you must be a godbot

FYI, The perimeter institute is one of the foremost the theoretical research establishments in the world in the subjects that, from your posts, you claim interest in but immediately BS when it is offered to you. Well done for displaying your personality so well.

We can also assume from your reply that you have no answer and yet expect other to have the answers you want to hear.

Level 6

#113423 Jan 4, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
They are turning their heads because they're frightened.
More guesswork and hatred from the pussywhipped godbot, well done

You spite is not doing your credibility any good whatsoever.

Level 6

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#113424 Jan 4, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
More guesswork and hatred from the pussywhipped godbot, well done
You spite is not doing your credibility any good whatsoever.
Piss off witch. If you're not butt-ugly on the outside then you sure as HELL are on the inside.

And please learn the meaning of "pussywhipped", ok? Language-impaired as well I see....

Level 6

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#113425 Jan 4, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
And to re-iterate the point, this means creation science is (by your logic) outside the realms of real science.
The part about creation, the fall, the flood, babel; yes, I agree, we cannot observe that. Just like you can't observe the big bang or abiogenesis or macroevolution. There should not be a double standard. We are also going to agree regarding science when it is observable and testable. But we also need to agree on the weakness regarding historical, unobservable theories.

Tell ya what, I'll even throw you a bone: I've been thinking that it may be possible that the Bible does have an error worked into it over the years based on entropy. How about that for full disclosure and honesty?

Level 6

#113426 Jan 4, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Piss off witch. If you're not butt-ugly on the outside then you sure as HELL are on the inside.
And please learn the meaning of "pussywhipped", ok? Language-impaired as well I see....
Hey thereís a good christian, whassup? Am I getting to you?

Juts because I cannot abide a liar and just because I do not agree with your lying BS does not make me ugly, inside or out, it simple meant that I cannot abide liars and I do not agree with your lying BS.

Hey, Iím not the one with a god looking over my shoulder at the way you lie.

Honey, you were beaten, you were shown to be lying and all you can do now is hurl abuse, you look pretty pussywhipped to me

Level 6

Hollywood, FL

#113427 Jan 4, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey thereís a good christian, whassup? Am I getting to you?
Juts because I cannot abide a liar and just because I do not agree with your lying BS does not make me ugly, inside or out, it simple meant that I cannot abide liars and I do not agree with your lying BS.
Hey, Iím not the one with a god looking over my shoulder at the way you lie.
Honey, you were beaten, you were shown to be lying and all you can do now is hurl abuse, you look pretty pussywhipped to me
I didn't lie. You did! And please look up pussywhipped you idiot.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#113428 Jan 4, 2013
obesity wrote:
<quoted text>
and Im Michael Jackson..if you are really 38 then you have the brain of a genius and the mentality of a 16 year old...you're very pale, have you ever had your vitamin D levels checked? the doctors say a lot of people are low in it these days and its making people very sick.
I get pale when I live in a city that gets almost zero sunlight. It's one of the many reasons I actually did not want to return to Western Washington, but meh, all my records were here.

As for your genius compliment, thank you, but I am not. I'm just a curious person who actually pays attention is all. I will not argue the mentality, I do claw at my youth trying to pull it back in like many others of my age group, the whole facing one's own mortality can cause that quite a bit. It's a psychological phenomenon we have come to fully understand, but we call it "mid life crisis," each has their own way of handling it, mine is embracing knowledge itself.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#113429 Jan 4, 2013
appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't remember the exact quote, but Asimov said that the essential ingredient for good science fiction is to start with an impossible premise, then make it plausable.
He actually did that in spades. If you read his Opus series, they are all explanations of how his stories could occur based on the scientific understanding of that time. He was a genius, but one with so much creativity he wound up writing fiction and sparking that same creativity in technology across the globe. Because of him we now have cell phones and robotics we didn't even consider making until he proposed it. But I think you're looking for Francis Bacon for the quote:

Truth is so hard to tell, it sometimes needs fiction to make it plausible.
-Francis Bacon

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#113430 Jan 4, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Not knowing slang is not the same as language impaired. A language impairment would be like not knowing the difference between a scientific definition of a word, and a layperson's definition. Not knowing slang terms is a cultural difference, and is inconsequential to any intelligent discussion.
obesity

Rancho Cordova, CA

#113431 Jan 4, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, right...you're one of those "I'm not religious, I'm Christian" numbskulls. I'm not superstitious, I just believe in nonsense that has no basis in reality or evidence to support it.
Can you comprehend?? Did I say I was Christian? I don't think Christians would even entertain the idea of alien life.
obesity

Rancho Cordova, CA

#113432 Jan 4, 2013
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>So, you have no intellectual curiosity and don't care why things work as they do. As long as you've got food, water, a roof, and a toilet, that's all you care about, and you don't care how those things happen, either. Doesn't that strike you as a rather shallow way to live? Is that what you'd teach your children to do with their lives? Or, would you hope that they developed their minds beyond basic survival and base pleasures?
Again, comprehension? In my line if work i already know how all of those things work especially plumbing and other mechanical systems..I'm sure my mechanical knowledge is way beyond yours.
obesity

Rancho Cordova, CA

#113433 Jan 4, 2013
appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>But what IS it that could or should be taught in a history type class about aliens?

What is it that can be taught?

I'm not saying that speculation is a bad thing. But speculation should not be confused with actual information.

Here's a funny thing. I'm sure you would also see the humor in it. Several years ago when I was a supervisor overseeing the work of a clerical crew, someone turned on the radio to one of those call-in shows. The guest was a catholic priest who claimed to be an expert on pergatory. Most folks listened just for laughs, but a few took it very seriously. People called in for an hour and a half asking questions about what pergatory was like. The funny thing was that the priest kept giving answers as if he actually knew something about it, as if it were something real that he could have studied.

Can you see, we have the same problem with aliens?
OMG..I never said ancient astronaut theory was FACT!!! There are some people who believe there are facts, but I just see it a a possibility. I never said it should be taught in school in a biology or other science class. As far as the pergatory thing goes, it is funny.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#113434 Jan 4, 2013
obesity wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you comprehend?? Did I say I was Christian? I don't think Christians would even entertain the idea of alien life.
Of course they would. They believe in God.

You can't get more alien than that.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#113435 Jan 4, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't lie.
REALLY?!?

Must've been after the New Year's resolution.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 5 min Ooogah Boogah 160,789
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 2 hr marksman11 141,275
News Darwin on the rocks (Sep '14) 6 hr In Six Days 1,337
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 21 hr Dogen 18,668
god is not real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Jun '06) Fri Ooogah Boogah 13,668
Guadeloupe Woman Found (1812 (Mar '10) Thu MikeF 73
Evolution Debunked (Jan '08) Apr 21 rationalreasoner 278
More from around the web