Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 179706 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#113453 Jan 4, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
The part about creation, the fall, the flood, babel; yes, I agree, we cannot observe that. Just like you can't observe the big bang or abiogenesis or macroevolution. There should not be a double standard. We are also going to agree regarding science when it is observable and testable. But we also need to agree on the weakness regarding historical, unobservable theories.
Tell ya what, I'll even throw you a bone: I've been thinking that it may be possible that the Bible does have an error worked into it over the years based on entropy. How about that for full disclosure and honesty?

Typical fundibot dishonesty. We have observable evidence of the big bang, evolution and abiogenesis, but for the early stories of the bible we do not have such evidence. These sciences are just as observable, testable, falsifiable,... as any others. The evidence for the biblical stories (from earlier works) is that they are variations of oral tradition metaphorical teaching stories that have a moral plot.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Since: Jul 09

Minneapolis

#113454 Jan 4, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Pft. I'll always grasp my youthfulness, I am not one to lay down in the grave until it is my time. I cannot take supplements, they do not process well in my bowels, unlike machines, no organism is the same as another.
I need nothing but knowledge, everything else is inconsequential, that is the greatest advantage to living in this nearly perfect era. Knowledge is what makes or breaks you, knowledge is how you prove yourself, and knowledge is what makes you beneficial, as well as immortal. For your mortality hinges on if you can leave a mark, you live only so long as that mark does.
Ah yes, knowledge fills the spirit, and a little chocolate, maybe some coffee and a smoke now and then help to round out one's diet.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#113455 Jan 4, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Not knowing slang is not the same as language impaired. A language impairment would be like not knowing the difference between a scientific definition of a word, and a layperson's definition. Not knowing slang terms is a cultural difference, and is inconsequential to any intelligent discussion.

And Urber gets PWed again!

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#113456 Jan 4, 2013
obesity wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you comprehend?? Did I say I was Christian? I don't think Christians would even entertain the idea of alien life.

Hummm... I am a Christian and I certainly "entertain" the idea of life from other origins than earth. In fact I would consider it a near certainty.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#113457 Jan 4, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
It's improper use of a word regardless.

Most poetry is a sequence of misused words. Learn to discern the non literal meaning in things.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#113458 Jan 4, 2013
obesity wrote:
<quoted text>
I see you live in WA, my relative lives there and in the summer when I visit, it's always sunny. Moderate amounts of sun are good for you..there have been many scientific studies in old people with osteoporosis and other ailments. They had low levels of vitamin D..they exposed them to sunlight and their levels improved along with their ailments. It here have been multiple studies, so in sure after testing their theories they can conclude that vitamin d from sun helps. I do not spray tan and I have fair skin..I jog in shorts and a tshirt to get sun vitamin d and I take a supplement..all of you "different unique" people need to stop using that as a crutch or something to whine about..I live in CA, if you don't think I've run across a few strange people, think again. You are strange, unusual and unique, maybe even weird..I've been called strange and weird also..i like it
You are ignoring the fact that too much exposure to sunlight in short periods of time increases your chances of getting melanoma exponentially. Yes, as I said, we have a couple months of solid sun, if I got tan in those couple months, I would still not be tan in January, and I would increase my chances of getting skin cancer a lot. Stop trying to excuse hating people who are different than you. Difference is the only constant in living organisms, and difference is the only way a species has any chance of survival. I don't mind the goth look, it's why I embrace it being unable to remain tan in this region, it works, and it works well. But the irony is that you base all your assumptions on one image. I actually wear more pink and purple more often than not, I chose that particular picture for a completely different reason, one that is producing far better results on here than any other forum, it is outing those idiots who like to ridicule and mock people for being different, and doing a flawless job of it.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#113459 Jan 4, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
And Urber gets PWed again!
Ironically not what I was attempting to do. Since he didn't attempt to counter it I think he actually understood what I was saying, which may be a rare thing but give credit where due. So long as he doesn't attempt to counter it, it demonstrates that he has acknowledge his mistake, as far as I am concerned.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#113460 Jan 4, 2013
appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah yes, knowledge fills the spirit, and a little chocolate, maybe some coffee and a smoke now and then help to round out one's diet.
you cannot fill what does not exist.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Minneapolis

#113461 Jan 4, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, it does occur in species that don't reproduce sexually, different species of bacteria show this. Human HIV and simian HIV are not just different strains, they are different species.
Thanks for the correction. Though I don't think that developing a new strain constitutes evidence of speciation.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Minneapolis

#113462 Jan 4, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
You admit it is not possible to observe macroevolution? I don't care if Lenski got to 1 trillion generations, the E.coli would still be just that, E.coli. There is way too many mechanisms at work to prevent it from changing into something it is not. The nested hierarchy indicates a common design/common designer just like the universal genetic code. This is so obvious. The only way you can prove NDE is to demonstrate a macro-change contemporaneously and so far, all efforts have failed at that and there is no hope of it ever being achieved (similar to abiogenesis).
But we already know that macro changes don't happen "contemporaneously". It's not a matter of "it cannot be proven", it's a different process altogether. It is a matter of understanding that evolution occurs very, very, very slowly over thousands or millions of years, tiny changes in each generation accumulating over vast periods of time. At some point the progeny of the ancestor generation from long, long ago become substantially different.

What is it that you would suggest would be the mechanism for the next generation of any species to stop making tiny changes?
Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#113463 Jan 4, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you not see where I live under my nickname on here? Sun is an elusive thing in this state, we have about 3 months worth of it the entire year, and most of that is in August and September. Did you miss the point I made in that I don't likef this state for that very reason? Now I'm starting to think you just want to hark on anyone different than you just because you don't like people being different than you. There is actually no evidence that sun is better, or worse, for us. None. All evidence is contradictory anyway, so you are just saying that simply in an attempt to make someone else feel less than "healthy" because you know that the spray on tans you get are inherently unhealthy.
I'm actually going to the beach! It's sunny and 80s!
obestiy

Rancho Cordova, CA

#113464 Jan 4, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You are ignoring the fact that too much exposure to sunlight in short periods of time increases your chances of getting melanoma exponentially. Yes, as I said, we have a couple months of solid sun, if I got tan in those couple months, I would still not be tan in January, and I would increase my chances of getting skin cancer a lot. Stop trying to excuse hating people who are different than you. Difference is the only constant in living organisms, and difference is the only way a species has any chance of survival. I don't mind the goth look, it's why I embrace it being unable to remain tan in this region, it works, and it works well. But the irony is that you base all your assumptions on one image. I actually wear more pink and purple more often than not, I chose that particular picture for a completely different reason, one that is producing far better results on here than any other forum, it is outing those idiots who like to ridicule and mock people for being different, and doing a flawless job of it.
Again you are accusing me of hating different people which is totally untrue...like i said i live in a state where what you consider unusual is the norm..too much sun may cause melanoma, but sitting in the sun for 15 minutes in healthy..the chemicals in most sunscreens are unhealthy. i know a very beautiful lady who works by me who is very goth..she uses an eggwhite and lemon face mask to give her that nice porcelin skin, she is very happy and upbeat and doesnt self loath. it almost seems as if you have schitzophrenia..you have it in your head that everyone hates you because your the misunderstood goth..maybe you spend to much time worrying about hate and bullying and poor me because im weird and not enough time being happy about the people in your life that do care about
you and like you and are unique like you .
obestiy

Rancho Cordova, CA

#113465 Jan 4, 2013
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Hummm... I am a Christian and I certainly "entertain" the idea of life from other origins than earth. In fact I would consider it a near certainty.
so you actually take the bible literally?

“There is no Truth in Faith”

Level 5

Since: Dec 08

nowhere near a pound of $100's

#113466 Jan 4, 2013
Pinky And Ze Brain wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, it's the fact that creationists are a relic of history. They're bloody storytellers, yet some think that their stories are actually true. Unfortunately for them, they're still stuck in the primeval ages, believing in magic, mysticism, and bloody gods!
Actually, I was pondering, "If we give peas a chance the lima beans might feel left out." .... but I digress.
obestiy

Rancho Cordova, CA

#113467 Jan 4, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you not see where I live under my nickname on here? Sun is an elusive thing in this state, we have about 3 months worth of it the entire year, and most of that is in August and September. Did you miss the point I made in that I don't like this state for that very reason? Now I'm starting to think you just want to hark on anyone different than you just because you don't like people being different than you. There is actually no evidence that sun is better, or worse, for us. None. All evidence is contradictory anyway, so you are just saying that simply in an attempt to make someone else feel less than "healthy" because you know that the spray on tans you get are inherently unhealthy.
I also find the "different" people to be very hypocritical when they accuse others of hate..they hate "normal" people and put them down for not being like them. i also find highly intelligent genius people who accuse other of hate to be hypocritical because they put down people who are not on their level of intelligence..you know like someone who gets A+++ in highschool chem vs. someone who may have received a B- in college Chem. its just all a circle, people accuse others of things they are guilty of as well..especially on threads like these..if someone has a very different view, like christianity, ancient aliens, witch craft, vampires, fairies etc. some people get their panties in a bunch and throw insults, call names etc. but get all butt hurt if someone does the same thing to them..its called arrogance.."i can say and do whatever i want, but no one better do it to me because im so high above them that my shizer smells like genetically engineered roses."

Level 5

#113468 Jan 4, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
I get pale when I live in a city that gets almost zero sunlight. It's one of the many reasons I actually did not want to return to Western Washington, but meh, all my records were here.
As for your genius compliment, thank you, but I am not. I'm just a curious person who actually pays attention is all. I will not argue the mentality, I do claw at my youth trying to pull it back in like many others of my age group, the whole facing one's own mortality can cause that quite a bit. It's a psychological phenomenon we have come to fully understand, but we call it "mid life crisis," each has their own way of handling it, mine is embracing knowledge itself.
Personally, I love it here. When it gets rainy or chilly, I can always put on more clothing. In AZ when it gets hot, people object if I remove too much clothing and it is never enough when it gets that hot.

And when we do have sun here, it is magnificent. Just saying ....

Level 5

#113469 Jan 4, 2013
obesity wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you comprehend?? Did I say I was Christian? I don't think Christians would even entertain the idea of alien life.
If it lies like a Christian, endorses Christian stupidity, and ....

kinda like

If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, and ....

Well, just sayin ....
obesity

United States

#113470 Jan 4, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>If it lies like a Christian, endorses Christian stupidity, and ....

kinda like

Well, just sayin ....
I've never endorsed Christianity..not even close..do you smoke weed or drop acid?
obesity

United States

#113471 Jan 4, 2013
Ooogah Boogah wrote:
<quoted text>If it lies like a Christian, endorses Christian stupidity, and ....

kinda like

Well, just sayin ....
You sure walk and talk like a drug induced duck..

Just saying

By the way, I can't wait for just sayin and amazing to go out of style

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#113472 Jan 4, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
You admit it is not possible to observe macroevolution? I don't care if Lenski got to 1 trillion generations, the E.coli would still be just that, E.coli. There is way too many mechanisms at work to prevent it from changing into something it is not. The nested hierarchy indicates a common design/common designer just like the universal genetic code. This is so obvious. The only way you can prove NDE is to demonstrate a macro-change contemporaneously and so far, all efforts have failed at that and there is no hope of it ever being achieved (similar to abiogenesis).
You don't understand what nested hierarchies or how they work, and you think you can just say that God magic explains what we see? You're not even trying anymore.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 min renee 34,846
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 min ChristineM 14,922
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 22 min ChristineM 151,305
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 59 min Aura Mytha 199,280
A Simple Simulation 1 hr JanusBifrons 1
My Story Part 2 1 hr JanusBifrons 1
News ID Isn't Science, But That's the Least Of Its P... Sun DanFromSmithville 34
More from around the web