Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 Full story: www.scientificblogging.com 176,162

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand." Full Story

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#113224 Jan 2, 2013
obesity wrote:
<quoted text>
It's cannot be proven or disproven so it is a theory..maybe not on quite the same level as a scientific theory ( even though certain ancient astronaut theorist believe it to be scientific.) it's fun to discuss this kind of stuff with certain people. It's also funny when certain people use their " intelligence" to put down other people beliefs. It actually shows their lack of true intelligence.
A scientific theory is a collection of explanations, laws, and mechanisms that explain the observed facts occurring in the universe. The theories allow us to explain how these facts exist, why they exist, and what we can expect based on the facts. Like the theory of gravity, for example, explains the mathematical relations between object masses, and why there is an attraction we call gravity. There are formulas we call laws in the theory of gravity that explain what this phenomenon does, and what we can expect from the fact that objects with mass are attracted to each other. These laws are based on observable, testable, and verifiable data collected over the decades worth of time, as the theory gets more solid evidence it can be fine tuned and improved. The scientific method allows us to determine what evidence is accurate or flawed, by allowing other scientific minds the chance to test it. If the testing produces different results than the assertions made when the evidence was presented, an intelligent scientist goes back to the drawing board to find their error and see if they can figure out why their evidence produced incorrect results.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#113226 Jan 2, 2013
obesity wrote:
<quoted text>
It's cannot be proven or disproven so it is a theory..maybe not on quite the same level as a scientific theory ( even though certain ancient astronaut theorist believe it to be scientific.) it's fun to discuss this kind of stuff with certain people. It's also funny when certain people use their " intelligence" to put down other people beliefs. It actually shows their lack of true intelligence.
This is an 'Evolution vs Creation/Intelligent Design' forum.

As such, we argue the strengths and weaknesses of each position. "Ancient Aliens" is a pseudoscience. It will not be taught as science in public schools until there is clear, unambiguous evidence for alien visitation to this planet.

If you wish to argue (for 'fun' or on a more serious level) the possiblility of alien technology in constructing Stonehendge, or Atlantis, or the pyramids, I'm sure there are several Sci-Fi threads that are better suited for such commentary.

But to the rest of us on THESE threads, it is hokum.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#113227 Jan 2, 2013
MIDutch wrote:
<quoted text>
I used to know a witch. Wiccan. Lovely woman. Very spiritual, moral, ethical, philosophical, intelligent, educated, well read, well travelled, etc.. Knew more about the theology and history of the Bible, and other religious texts, than anyone I've ever known. Her masters degree was in chemistry, but philosophy was her love.
IOW pretty much everything a "fundamentalist christian creationist" is not. I would take a witch like her over a "fundamentalist christian creationist" any day.

I have known a few Wiccan's, too. I will take them, as a group, over the rank and file Xian's.
obesity

Rancho Cordova, CA

#113228 Jan 2, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>A scientific theory is a collection of explanations, laws, and mechanisms that explain the observed facts occurring in the universe. The theories allow us to explain how these facts exist, why they exist, and what we can expect based on the facts. Like the theory of gravity, for example, explains the mathematical relations between object masses, and why there is an attraction we call gravity. There are formulas we call laws in the theory of gravity that explain what this phenomenon does, and what we can expect from the fact that objects with mass are attracted to each other. These laws are based on observable, testable, and verifiable data collected over the decades worth of time, as the theory gets more solid evidence it can be fine tuned and improved. The scientific method allows us to determine what evidence is accurate or flawed, by allowing other scientific minds the chance to test it. If the testing produces different results than the assertions made when the evidence was presented, an intelligent scientist goes back to the drawing board to find their error and see if they can figure out why their evidence produced incorrect results.
Yes, I read that exact thing word for word on a website.
obesity

Rancho Cordova, CA

#113229 Jan 2, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>This is an 'Evolution vs Creation/Intelligent Design' forum.

As such, we argue the strengths and weaknesses of each position. "Ancient Aliens" is a pseudoscience. It will not be taught as science in public schools until there is clear, unambiguous evidence for alien visitation to this planet.

If you wish to argue (for 'fun' or on a more serious level) the possiblility of alien technology in constructing Stonehendge, or Atlantis, or the pyramids, I'm sure there are several Sci-Fi threads that are better suited for such commentary.

This forum is an evolution vs creationism thread? I though it was should evolution be taught in school thread? I can't talk about aliens, but others can talk about witch craft and Wicca...hmm that's interesting. Yes, it is fun to talk about this stuff..do you not enjoy yourself when your discussing it? If not you sure spend a lot of time being angry. I guess if you paid my monthly Internet bill then I guess you could tell me where I can and cannot post...now quit getting your pocket protector in a bunch and get off your high horse.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#113230 Jan 2, 2013
obesity wrote:
<quoted text>
Prove it.
One way or another

United States

#113231 Jan 2, 2013
But I thought this thread was about British foul food vs American pressed garbage.

However, that doesn't give you the right, this thread is only for discussing if evoisim should be taught in high school, which the morons here trampled to death years ago and dam anyone who gets off subject, except for the morons.
obesity

Rancho Cordova, CA

#113232 Jan 2, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Prove it.
Google it and you will find it..oh wait a minute, i have a feeling you dont google, probably to layman for you..i liked your profile..you are so deep..i really hope you dont waste your highly intelligent mind simply youtubing and starbucking all day..dont you have a job? its crazy how many super intelligent people there are in this world, yet we have so few answers and the world is still a totally f'ed up place..i guess being so smart drives some people into a state of insanity that they cant actually do anything but sit on a computer..

Orlando

#113233 Jan 2, 2013
obesity wrote:
<quoted text>
This forum is an evolution vs creationism thread? I though it was should evolution be taught in school thread? I can't talk about aliens, but others can talk about witch craft and Wicca...hmm that's interesting. Yes, it is fun to talk about this stuff..do you not enjoy yourself when your discussing it? If not you sure spend a lot of time being angry. I guess if you paid my monthly Internet bill then I guess you could tell me where I can and cannot post...now quit getting your pocket protector in a bunch and get off your high horse.
Your first two posts here were:
obesity wrote:
Ancient alien theory should be taught in school
obesity wrote:
<quoted text>
It's ["Ancient Aliens"] a theory and if you look into it, it's just as relevant as the theory of evolution and creationism
...which speak volumes as to your educational level. If you wish to bring such nonsense to the board, nobody here will stop you. After all, we've got KAB expressing his confidence in a 6000 year-old universe, Knightmare with his (still unfunny) vampires and werewolves schtick, Jimbo (aka, "Oncemore") with his mind-numbing display of bat-shittery.

Who would I be to prevent you from joining their ranks?

FYI: I am NOT the most learned person on these threads. One reason I'm here is to LEARN from those that have more knowledge than I. And I HAVE learned a lot. I am also passionate about keeping religious nut-jobs out of public school curriculum planning.

So again: If you have something to offer in the way of science (or pseudoscience), be prepared to defend it.
Mother Mary

Chicago, IL

#113234 Jan 2, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
This is an 'Evolution vs Creation/Intelligent Design' forum.
Kong take away all the cable/TV trash about ET/God. Forget everything "They" told you was the "Truth". Now, humans knew the earth was flat....its not. Humans know there is a God....really? Humans know there are to many gallaxies to comprehend whats really out there.....Just that statement alone should make every religious human stop and "Think"..........Loo k how far humans technology has evolved.........If another advanced race had just 100 years on this species.....Wow! The God story just doesnt make sense.

Orlando

#113235 Jan 2, 2013
Mother Mary wrote:
<quoted text>Kong take away all the cable/TV trash about ET/God. Forget everything "They" told you was the "Truth". Now, humans knew the earth was flat....its not. Humans know there is a God....really? Humans know there are to many gallaxies to comprehend whats really out there.....that statement alone should make every religious human stop and "Think"..........Loo k how far humans technology has evolved.........If another advanced race had just 100 years on this species.....Wow! The God story just doesnt make sense.
I was raised Christian (Presbyterian, to be specific). I took the full course of indoctrination: Sunday School, Church, Vacation Bible School, sang in the choir, yadda, yadda, yadda.

But I was also continuoisly attending school. After a while, the facts I learned in school made more sense to me than the outrageous stories told by bronze-age shepards around campfires.

I am now an agnostic. My definition of this being that I dont know that a Supreme Deity exists or not. But I can say this: If such a deity IS out there, it is not the God as described in the Bible (or any other similar text).

Funny thing is about "Ancient Aliens", I would actually LIKE to see REAL evidence for alien visitation. But there is none. I feel the same way about Bigfoot -- and think there *MAY* be even more evidence for such a creature than there is for 'ancient aliens'.

But all that is just for sh!ts and giggles.

REAL science is much more fascinating.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#113236 Jan 2, 2013
obesity wrote:
<quoted text>
Google it and you will find it..oh wait a minute, i have a feeling you dont google, probably to layman for you..i liked your profile..you are so deep..i really hope you dont waste your highly intelligent mind simply youtubing and starbucking all day..dont you have a job? its crazy how many super intelligent people there are in this world, yet we have so few answers and the world is still a totally f'ed up place..i guess being so smart drives some people into a state of insanity that they cant actually do anything but sit on a computer..
Well, I see no results in Google that even resemble my quote, so show us.
obesity

Rancho Cordova, CA

#113237 Jan 2, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Your first two posts here were:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
...which speak volumes as to your educational level. If you wish to bring such nonsense to the board, nobody here will stop you. After all, we've got KAB expressing his confidence in a 6000 year-old universe, Knightmare with his (still unfunny) vampires and werewolves schtick, Jimbo (aka, "Oncemore") with his mind-numbing display of bat-shittery.
Who would I be to prevent you from joining their ranks?
FYI: I am NOT the most learned person on these threads. One reason I'm here is to LEARN from those that have more knowledge than I. And I HAVE learned a lot. I am also passionate about keeping religious nut-jobs out of public school curriculum planning.
So again: If you have something to offer in the way of science (or pseudoscience), be prepared to defend it.
should evolution be taught in highschool is the title of this thread. in highschool I learned about mythology, read fictional books in literature classes and learned about many things that were not facts. I even learned about peoples theories. should evolution and creationism be taught in schools?? WHY NOT? I think only facts about biology should be taught in a biology class..but there are other classes that these theories can be taught in. Like I said earlier..ancient alien theory is just a theory even though some theorist think they have scientific proof backing it up. i never once claimed it to be a scientific theory. in my opinion we havent even scratched the surface as to what is really going on..all these "smart" people will probably be very shocked if they found out the truth about human origins. evolution is just a very tiny piece of a massive puzzle..im surpirsed you are not the most learned person on this thread..i bet steven hawkings brain pales in comparison to yours.
obesity

Rancho Cordova, CA

#113238 Jan 2, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
I was raised Christian (Presbyterian, to be specific). I took the full course of indoctrination: Sunday School, Church, Vacation Bible School, sang in the choir, yadda, yadda, yadda.
But I was also continuoisly attending school. After a while, the facts I learned in school made more sense to me than the outrageous stories told by bronze-age shepards around campfires.
I am now an agnostic. My definition of this being that I dont know that a Supreme Deity exists or not. But I can say this: If such a deity IS out there, it is not the God as described in the Bible (or any other similar text).
Funny thing is about "Ancient Aliens", I would actually LIKE to see REAL evidence for alien visitation. But there is none. I feel the same way about Bigfoot -- and think there *MAY* be even more evidence for such a creature than there is for 'ancient aliens'.
But all that is just for sh!ts and giggles.
REAL science is much more fascinating.
YOU havent seen real evidence of alien visitation, but that doesnt mean it isnt out there..maybe you should talk to a few people in the military..they can enlighten you. undiscovered science is still real science
Maccoat

Titusville, PA

#113239 Jan 2, 2013
obesity wrote:
<quoted text>
YOU havent seen real evidence of alien visitation, but that doesnt mean it isnt out there..maybe you should talk to a few people in the military..they can enlighten you. undiscovered science is still real science
What your saying us like saying that a dictionary is a work of historical fiction.

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

#113240 Jan 2, 2013
Chimney1 wrote:
An early view of science was that given enough information about the current state, and the right laws, the future would be entirely predictable. We no longer believe that, understanding that the predictability of complex systems is inherent, and no amount of information will ever render them predictable.
Did any scientists ever *seriously* believe that?

Or is that more like the "Scientists used to think that the Earth was flat" story?
Chimney1 wrote:
I don't know if you ever read Asimov
Lots of him (both fiction and non-fiction).
Chimney1 wrote:
back in my early days I read Foundation where psychology was going to be so accurate that the whole future of the Empire was mapped out by a bunch of equations
Yes, that's why it was called "science fiction".
Chimney1 wrote:
this is a view of science that is well and truly dead now!
I have serious doubts that it was ever alive. Can you provide any evidence that it was?

Orlando

#113241 Jan 2, 2013
obesity wrote:
<quoted text>
should evolution be taught in highschool is the title of this thread. in highschool I learned about mythology, read fictional books in literature classes and learned about many things that were not facts. I even learned about peoples theories. should evolution and creationism be taught in schools?? WHY NOT?
For one thing, the US Supreme Court has ruled that Creationism, and its ugly step-sister, "Intelligent Design" are religious in nature. Since the teaching of religious material is DIRECTLY counter to the seperation of church and state -- unless ALL religions are taught equally -- it is prudent for educators to abstain from teaching religious text AT ALL.

Secondly, it's just shitty science without one iota of evidence to support it.
obesity wrote:
<quoted text>I think only facts about biology should be taught in a biology class..but there are other classes that these theories can be taught in. Like I said earlier..ancient alien theory is just a theory even though some theorist think they have scientific proof backing it up.
I agree that "only facts should be taught in a biology class". The ToE is the cornerstone of all biology, and should be taught in school to the exclusion of other antiscience alternatives.
obesity wrote:
<quoted text>i never once claimed it to be a scientific theory.
See? You cannot even get your own story right. You earlier stated:
obesity wrote:
Ancient alien theory should be taught in school
obesity wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a theory and if you look into it, it's just as relevant as the theory of evolution and creationism
"Ancient Aliens" makes for a fun little story on the History Channel, but it is not science, nor has any relevant applications. Feel free to continue to delve into it if it makes you happy. I'm sure it will make Erich von Dänikens happy as well if you do.
obesity wrote:
<quoted text>in my opinion we havent even scratched the surface as to what is really going on..all these "smart" people will probably be very shocked if they found out the truth about human origins.
There *ARE* some "really smart people" out there that are doing truely amazing work in genetics, medicine, and other areas of study. And your "opinion" is irrelevant.

There IS NO dispute inside science as to the facts leading to the conclusion that the Theory of Evolution explains. 99.9% of all relevant scientists (biologists, life scientists, etc) accept the ToE (Theory of Evolution).

Yes, that IS a real statistic....99.9%.
obesity wrote:
<quoted text>evolution is just a very tiny piece of a massive puzzle..im surpirsed you are not the most learned person on this thread..i bet steven hawkings brain pales in comparison to yours.
I'm sure that was your weak attempt at a snarky comeback. Fail.

Just for the fun of it...what are YOUR thoughts as to the origin of life on Earth, and the origin of Man?
LowellGuy

Lowell, MA

#113242 Jan 2, 2013
obesity wrote:
<quoted text>
When people debase science by equating it with their zero-evidence batshit-insane "beliefs," those beliefs are fair game for application of reason and logic as well as a hearty heaping of reality-based derision. Don't want your retarded beliefs made fun of? Keep 'em to yourself until you have evidence to back them up.

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

#113243 Jan 2, 2013
obesity wrote:
should evolution be taught in highschool is the title of this thread. in highschool I learned about mythology, read fictional books in literature classes and learned about many things that were not facts.
And they were not taught as facts, nor as scientific theories.
obesity wrote:
should evolution and creationism be taught in schools?? WHY NOT?
In a science classroom? Evolution should be taught there, since it is science. Creationism should not be taught there, since it is *not* science.
obesity wrote:
I think only facts about biology should be taught in a biology class
Like the fact of evolution (that all modern living things are descended from a common ancestral population). Which is explained by the theory of evolution (the modern evolutionary synthesis).
obesity wrote:
Like I said earlier..ancient alien theory is just a theory even though some theorist think they have scientific proof backing it up. i never once claimed it to be a scientific theory.
So, why should it be taught in schools other than as an amusing social curiosity not unlike astrology or palmistry?
LowellGuy

Lowell, MA

#113244 Jan 2, 2013
obesity wrote:
<quoted text>
And, what does it mean?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 10 min Dogen 134,831
god is not real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Jun '06) 2 hr Brian_G 13,643
Atheism - A Non Prophet Organisation (Mar '11) 3 hr Gillette 999
How would creationists explain... 13 hr Dogen 449
Intelligent Design: Still Dead [EvolutionBlog] 16 hr geezerjock 1
Why Are There No Transitional Animals Today? (Mar '09) 17 hr The Dude 514
Evolutionists staes that white people are more ... (Jun '06) 20 hr spiderlover 77
More from around the web