Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 | Posted by: Cash | Full story: www.scientificblogging.com

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."
Comments
110,261 - 110,280 of 172,160 Comments Last updated 7 hrs ago

“I started out with nothing”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
So you concede the fact that I was right and you were wrong about the price. Go ahead, admit it. Admit that you were wrong.
OK, all is forgiven.
I have reservations in a few weeks at the Prelude by Barton-G which is located in the Adrienne Arsht Performing Arts Center. Full course gourmet meal for under $50!
http://www.preludebybartong.com/
(Afterward it's the Cleveland Orchestra and Joshua Bell playing Beethoven's Violin Concerto and Shostakovich #10.)
Sorry, I don’t understand, you were proven to have lied and yet you claim victory, is this a christian thing?
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Please show your calculation. I used 195 GBP as advertised on their website "The Tasting Menu" here:
http://www.thefatduck.co.uk/The-Menus/Tasting...
Please look at the menu. I am not lying!
No calculations needed, the MENU includes the entire meal, not as you stated in
http://www.topix.com/forum/news/evolution/TCT...

“Their site provides the menu price of 195 GBP just for the main entry.“

SEE THAT “just for the main entry”- a lie

Level 6

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
When I go out with my wife and son we generally like to spend less than $40 to $50 for the three of us.
But you are really arguing a non issue with Urban. He likes these little diversions to stay away from the fact of evolution.
$40 to $50 for three -nuff said…

To me it’s not a non issue, I enjoy food and feel that good food is worth experiencing

I have offered him evidence with links of how much British food has “evolved” and his cheapening it with lies and comparison with roadside truck stop fare is sickening but certainly expected from a good christian.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Since: Jul 09

Minneapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Mtum wrote:
Science hates the truth!!!
Mtum | 19 min ago
Right, that's why all of science is too stupid to see that gravity is a push, pull, effect, proven by our space junk in high orbit, moron.
I can see how you would feel that way. Science is notorious for failing to recognize the efforts of those citizens who wish to skate by on sub-minimum thinking. Science should grow up and realize that stupid people have the same right to be considered to be world class geniuses as world class geniuses. They treat stupid people like ordinary morons. But we know that you are not an ordinary moron.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Minneapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh but you said the VAST majority didn't you? It turns out that what you said certainly is not true in the States. You need to be very careful of what you say. Support your claims with evidence. Happy New Year.
The vast majority of people don't really care that much one way or the other about evolution. They get by in life driving trucks, fixing cars, announcing the news, selling products, etc. But the vast majority of those who actually need to have a working understanding of life systems do support evolution. And of course there are a small minority of folks from all walks of life who take sides on the subject of evolution in internet forums.

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Judged:

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, I don’t understand, you were proven to have lied and yet you claim victory, is this a christian thing?
<quoted text>
No calculations needed, the MENU includes the entire meal, not as you stated in
http://www.topix.com/forum/news/evolution/TCT...
“Their site provides the menu price of 195 GBP just for the main entry.“
SEE THAT “just for the main entry”- a lie
Why do you keep bring up Christianity? How is that relevant? It's not a lie if I meant it was the price for the food. That is usually the main part of the meal. There is no separate prices for different courses. It's all inclusive. There is only one price. That means either you don't eat there or you pay the 195 and eat what they serve you. Is that so hard to understand? Wine is extra. Tip is extra. There is one price for the meal- 195. If you notice I said the wine and tip would be extra. You are just trying to nit-pick a poor choice of words perhaps, but the menu price is still 195. Period. You were way out line saying:

"Where the fook do you get 350USD from? Oh I know; it’s a guess, it’s good and really telling what you christians can guess at even if it does make you look stupid."

Christians comment again? Totally unsupported comment; misleading, snarky, insulting, bigoted, distorting, and dishonest. Horrible behavior! You're just another idiot religious bigot. It would not matter what I said, you'd find a way to attack it because you loath me and what you perceive of me. You must live in a very dark, sick world. This is all due to your own insecurities. Godless/soulless. I pity you.

End of conversation.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Minneapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you - that evolution has made successful predictions about what we will observe or find in nature. Tiktaalik is a classic example, and this is prediction in the sense of testing a theory.
However, I am pointing to another issue, given some attention since the arrival of chaos and complexity theory along with quantum mechanics. It is about the inherent unpredictability of complex systems.
An early view of science was that given enough information about the current state, and the right laws, the future would be entirely predictable. We no longer believe that, understanding that the predictability of complex systems is inherent, and no amount of information will ever render them predictable.
I don't know if you ever read Asimov...back in my early days I read Foundation where psychology was going to be so accurate that the whole future of the Empire was mapped out by a bunch of equations...this is a view of science that is well and truly dead now!
Back in the day I was a huge fan of Asimov's Foundation series. But I didn't look at it as a grand idea that could predict the future. It seemed to me to be a grand idea to view the history of how empires rise and fall. In the first novel, what started out as "psychology" grew to envelope all of the fields of "galactic" knowledge. He prognosticates that in the future--as in the past--that the most powerful source of empire is in the wise use of information.
obesity

Kent, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Ancient alien theory should be taught in school

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Minneapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Microevolution (observed,tested)is a fact and Macroevolution (no evidence) is a theory (and a bad one.)
You are getting close to understanding evolution. Yes, microevolution has been the process behind common ancestry for 3.5 billion years. But macroevolution (as defined by creationists) is a strawman that is not supported by science. There's no evidence that supports the idea of speciation in one generation.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I’ll take your comments how they read, not how you make hindsight excuses for them
I have explored the dining scene from Orlando down Miami to a limited extent and to be honest I found it reasonably ok, particularly the seafood. I can’t say I found anywhere to rave about but had no complaints either.
However I was not the one sniping at what is the British roadside cafe and take away equivalent of US junk food as though that’s what we all eat.
The food in the UK, has evolved rapidly in my lifetime to become amongst the best there is to offer and taking the p|ss from what appears to be the position of ignorance or malice just makes you look silly
Christine, should you find yourself back here in Orlando ("O-do"), let me know.

Orlando

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

obesity wrote:
Based upon what facts?

Level 6

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Judged:

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you keep bring up Christianity? How is that relevant? It's not a lie if I meant it was the price for the food. That is usually the main part of the meal. There is no separate prices for different courses. It's all inclusive. There is only one price. That means either you don't eat there or you pay the 195 and eat what they serve you. Is that so hard to understand? Wine is extra. Tip is extra. There is one price for the meal- 195. If you notice I said the wine and tip would be extra. You are just trying to nit-pick a poor choice of words perhaps, but the menu price is still 195. Period. You were way out line saying:
"Where the fook do you get 350USD from? Oh I know; it’s a guess, it’s good and really telling what you christians can guess at even if it does make you look stupid."
Christians comment again? Totally unsupported comment; misleading, snarky, insulting, bigoted, distorting, and dishonest. Horrible behavior! You're just another idiot religious bigot. It would not matter what I said, you'd find a way to attack it because you loath me and what you perceive of me. You must live in a very dark, sick world. This is all due to your own insecurities. Godless/soulless. I pity you.
End of conversation.
Making a bold “End of conversation” statement don’t work, you have a go, I have a go right back is how it works here.

Why should I not bring up religion? It is my experience that christians in particular lie, and you appear to be lying… whether you meant it or not you attempted misdirection by writing a falsehood – i.e lying.

Maybe you made a poor choice of words but am not a mind reader so where you get off attempting to blame me for your error is a mystery, oh wait a moment, you are christian, right. Sorry you don’t like being associated with christians but your posts tell a story.

Wrong I don’t loath you (much) I do however have no tolerance for lies whether they be intentional or not and as I said before christians have a propensity to lie. And will never hold their hands up and admit guilt when they are caught out will you?

Godless, yes, soulless, no. You omit to ask why I am godless? There are many reason but I will cite the a god inspired person who considers me “misleading, snarky, insulting, bigoted, distorting, and dishonest” with “Horrible behaviour” and an idiot religious bigot” based on nothing other than the fact that they have been caught out lying.

Honey I was not the one attempting to mislead anyone. That was YOU.
I was not the one insulting the food of another nation. That was YOU
I was not the one claiming you were bigoted based on the fact that I don’t agree with you, that’s YOU.
I was not the one being dishonest, that was YOU
I am not the one claiming horrible behaviour based on nothing more than I defended the product and culture you slighted based nothing but outdated knowledge and downright spite, that was YOU.
And as for religious bigot seems strange that the majority of christians who are shown up for what they really are claim religious bigotry is used against them.

Level 6

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Christine, should you find yourself back here in Orlando ("O-do"), let me know.
Consider it a promise

Can’t say when though.
obesity

Kent, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>Based upon what facts?
It's a theory and if you look into it, it's just as relevant as the theory of evolution and creationism

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Judged:

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Making a bold “End of conversation” statement don’t work, you have a go, I have a go right back is how it works here.
Why should I not bring up religion? It is my experience that christians in particular lie, and you appear to be lying… whether you meant it or not you attempted misdirection by writing a falsehood – i.e lying.
Maybe you made a poor choice of words but am not a mind reader so where you get off attempting to blame me for your error is a mystery, oh wait a moment, you are christian, right. Sorry you don’t like being associated with christians but your posts tell a story.
Wrong I don’t loath you (much) I do however have no tolerance for lies whether they be intentional or not and as I said before christians have a propensity to lie. And will never hold their hands up and admit guilt when they are caught out will you?
Godless, yes, soulless, no. You omit to ask why I am godless? There are many reason but I will cite the a god inspired person who considers me “misleading, snarky, insulting, bigoted, distorting, and dishonest” with “Horrible behaviour” and an idiot religious bigot” based on nothing other than the fact that they have been caught out lying.
Honey I was not the one attempting to mislead anyone. That was YOU.
I was not the one insulting the food of another nation. That was YOU
I was not the one claiming you were bigoted based on the fact that I don’t agree with you, that’s YOU.
I was not the one being dishonest, that was YOU
I am not the one claiming horrible behaviour based on nothing more than I defended the product and culture you slighted based nothing but outdated knowledge and downright spite, that was YOU.
And as for religious bigot seems strange that the majority of christians who are shown up for what they really are claim religious bigotry is used against them.
Oh go choke on your haggis you lying witch.

Orlando

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

obesity wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a theory and if you look into it, it's just as relevant as the theory of evolution and creationism
Define "Theory" as it is used by science.

(Hint: It is not the same as the lay definition)

Then tell us how 'Ancient Aliens' qualifies as a scientific theory.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

obesity wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.manolith.com/files/2012/12/ancient...
One way or another

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Judged:

Aww ain't that cute, monkey boy got one.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
End of conversation.

Don't worry UC, I have never though of you as a Christian and am pretty sure I never will.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

obesity wrote:

You are confusing 'Theory' with 'unsupported notion'.

You will fit in well with the creationists/IDers here who have neither a theory nor a clue.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
You are confusing 'Theory' with 'unsupported notion'.
You will fit in well with the creationists/IDers here who have neither a theory nor a clue.
I actually think that was his point. Not certain, but it seems like he was saying just that.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••