Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 178597 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#113173 Jan 2, 2013
steverye wrote:
There is not a theory of evolution. There is a fact of evolution.
The fact of evolution is that life has changed over time.

The theory of evolution is the set of mechanisms proposed to explain the fact.

“I started out with nothing”

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#113174 Jan 2, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Get real. You mean to say I'd have to spend nearly US$350.00 just to get a decent meal while in England? I don't think so! Looks like I'll be getting more fish-n-chips, bangers-n-mash, and other such slop. Or maybe I'll have some gruell, coagulated pigs blood, and haggis. Fun! More peas anyone? Or how about some more sausages and brown gravy?(Oh, you're wearing me down now.) Or how about the most disgusting thing ever invented, jellied Eel! Hey we got us some Spotted Dick here! Toad in the Hole? Sorry, gotta run and puke now.
My goodness how you live in the past but not surprising given your propensity for 1600 year old books, grease burgers and deep fried fowl and spray on cheese but that is no excuse for ignorant hatred

Where the fook do you get 350USD from? Oh I know; itís a guess, itís good and really telling what you christians can guess at even if it does make you look stupid. Honey if you canít afford to eat properly thatís your own problem but donít go knocking what you canít understand based on nothing more than petty jealousy and misunderstanding. The most I ever spent on a meal was just over Ä200 at one of the worldís most renowned restaurants in Paris. I ate out last week, in a nice restaurant, a four-course meal with coffee, macaroons and mints for £47 each including wine.

Donít you eat potatoes, peas, sausage?

Consider freedom fries, those wonderfully misnamed French fries that are actually a Belgian idea.

What do you have with your grease burgers when you visit a restaurant? Petit pois? Mange tout? Or spray on cheese?

And those hotdogs (made of mechanically reclaimed waste, pig ears, pig and beef snout, salivary glands, lymph nodes, intestine, connective tissue etc and artificial cellulose skins) you live on are nothing more than a cheap version of boiled sausage and you claim to puke English food?

Honey there is no dick in spotted dick or toad in toad in the hole, they are just names.

Jellied eel are local to the south east of the UK and at best can be called a local delicacy however eels when prepared correctly are delicious, you should try it before you mock it. You sound just as intelligent as a kid in a tantrum who wonít eat vegetables because heís never had them before.

I know of heads of state around the world who consider haggis to be the food of choice for new years celebration meals. Can you say the same for grease burgers, deep fried fowl, grits, hot dogs or spray on cheese? NopeÖ

Grits, there ya go, the local version of haggis but hey, you complain about what you are clueless about all you want if it makes you feel more godly

So you puked? Must be the fat that they fried your genetically modified burgers in being too old and contaminated or perhaps you are allergic to the chemicals they use as propellant for your spray on cheese goo or was it the unusable pigs bits in that last hotdog you stuffed down?

If you donít understand British cuisine (and you obviously donít) then I suggest you butt out and get back to the stuff in the babble that you think you understand ( but you knowledge there is also based on deliberate ignorance )

BTW, happy new year.

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#113175 Jan 2, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
Where the fook do you get 350USD from? Oh I know; itís a guess, itís good and really telling what you christians can guess at even if it does make you look stupid.
It was referring to The Fat Duck restaurant because that was your suggestion. Their site provides the menu price of 195 GBP just for the main entry. So do the math with the conversion. Actually I was being conservative by low-balling at $350. If you add an average-priced bottle of wine and the 12.5% suggested tip that totals 332 GBP which converted to U.S. dollars is $541! Now who's looking stupid?

http://www.thefatduck.co.uk/The-Menus/Tasting...

Level 6

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#113176 Jan 2, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
Donít you eat potatoes, peas, sausage?
Consider freedom fries, those wonderfully misnamed French fries that are actually a Belgian idea.
What do you have with your grease burgers when you visit a restaurant? Petit pois? Mange tout? Or spray on cheese?
And those hotdogs (made of mechanically reclaimed waste, pig ears, pig and beef snout, salivary glands, lymph nodes, intestine, connective tissue etc and artificial cellulose skins) you live on are nothing more than a cheap version of boiled sausage and you claim to puke English food?
Honey there is no dick in spotted dick or toad in toad in the hole, they are just names.
Jellied eel are local to the south east of the UK and at best can be called a local delicacy however eels when prepared correctly are delicious, you should try it before you mock it. You sound just as intelligent as a kid in a tantrum who wonít eat vegetables because heís never had them before.
I know of heads of state around the world who consider haggis to be the food of choice for new years celebration meals. Can you say the same for grease burgers, deep fried fowl, grits, hot dogs or spray on cheese? NopeÖ
Grits, there ya go, the local version of haggis but hey, you complain about what you are clueless about all you want if it makes you feel more godly
So you puked? Must be the fat that they fried your genetically modified burgers in being too old and contaminated or perhaps you are allergic to the chemicals they use as propellant for your spray on cheese goo or was it the unusable pigs bits in that last hotdog you stuffed down?
Why do you assume I would even consider eating highly carcinogenic, heart-clogging, stroke causing, diabetes causing, obesity causing, salty, greasy junk food? This stuff is being tossed to the wayside like the cigerette. People where I live (Miami Beach) are highly into fitness and highly into micronutrient-rich foods such as greens and spinach and vegetables and garlic and fruits and nuts. Hamburgers, sausage and hotdogs and cheese are a death sentence. Brocolli is the number one superfood. Stawberries, legumes, oranges, walnuts, etc. Think maximum micronutrients per calorie. Oh and Happy New Year to you!

Level 6

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#113177 Jan 2, 2013
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Evolution is a fact AND a (scientific) theory.
Microevolution (observed,tested)is a fact and Macroevolution (no evidence) is a theory (and a bad one.)

Level 6

#113178 Jan 2, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
It was referring to The Fat Duck restaurant because that was your suggestion. Their site provides the menu price of 195 GBP just for the main entry. So do the math with the conversion. Actually I was being conservative by low-balling at $350. If you add an average-priced bottle of wine and the 12.5% suggested tip that totals 332 GBP which converted to U.S. dollars is $541! Now who's looking stupid?
Re read you own link Ė THREE courses

Starter and main and desert

Now whos looking stupid?

Level 6

#113179 Jan 2, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you assume I would even consider eating highly carcinogenic, heart-clogging, stroke causing, diabetes causing, obesity causing, salty, greasy junk food? This stuff is being tossed to the wayside like the cigerette. People where I live (Miami Beach) are highly into fitness and highly into micronutrient-rich foods such as greens and spinach and vegetables and garlic and fruits and nuts. Hamburgers, sausage and hotdogs and cheese are a death sentence. Brocolli is the number one superfood. Stawberries, legumes, oranges, walnuts, etc. Think maximum micronutrients per calorie. Oh and Happy New Year to you!
And yet you seem to think that in the UK we live on stodge but are willing to see yourself as different from the majority of the USA.

Now that I call completely ignorant.

Honey I have been to Florida on several occasions and I know that burgers and fried chicken joints are just as prevalent (perhaps more so) as most places in the USA.

Tell me have you ever eaten in the UK?

Level 6

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#113180 Jan 2, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Re read you own link Ė THREE courses
Starter and main and desert
Now whos looking stupid?
You are.

Level 6

#113181 Jan 2, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Microevolution (observed,tested)is a fact and Macroevolution (no evidence) is a theory (and a bad one.)
Wrong, they are aspects the same thing.

Macroevolution is the composite effect of microevolution or put another way macro-evolution is lots and lots of micro-evolution

There is evidence of this in the observations of the Langkawi bent-toed gecko (Cyrtodactylus macrotuberculatus)

And it can be seen occurring in synthetic life that has been developed in the laboratory
http://news.nationalgeographic.co.uk/news/201...

http://www.scienceagogo.com/news/201203191621...

I have also seen it myself in my studies of early homo sapiens compared to modern homo sapiens

Level 6

#113182 Jan 2, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
You are.
I was not the one insisting that it was ď195 GBP just for the main entryĒ, that was you in your haste top prove you are incapable of reading

Level 6

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#113183 Jan 2, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
And yet you seem to think that in the UK we live on stodge but are willing to see yourself as different from the majority of the USA.
Now that I call completely ignorant.
Honey I have been to Florida on several occasions and I know that burgers and fried chicken joints are just as prevalent (perhaps more so) as most places in the USA.
Tell me have you ever eaten in the UK?
Yes, I lived and worked there over the years. France and many other places too. We generally stuck to Indian Food. Please take my comments with a sense of humor. I'm mostly kidding around. I love British people.

Yes the fast food joints are easy to find. That's the strategy. And did you notice who's eating there? Mostly low income and tourists! I haven't been to a fast food joint in ages. The food sucks and is high in fat and salt and sugar to get poor unsuspecting people addicted to it and the overly sweetened carbonated drinks that go with. Only suckers eat at places like Burger King (founded in Miami b/t/w), McDonalds, KYC, Wendy's, Taco Bell, etc.

They're found along busy roads and intersections for a reason. I doubt you'll ever see a professional or educated person eat there. Just becaues you see them doesn't mean we eat there. Certainly people into health and fitness don't. There is lots of American gimmicks to get your money. Just because it's there doesn't mean it's good. That's the seedy side of Miami that you should drive past.

Explore South Florida's well-established Chef-Centered culinary culture. Thousands of chef-run little jems to dazzle your palate. This is a hub of fine-dining and culinary education nerve-center. A natural because of our high tourist traffic and cruise industry.

Level 6

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#113184 Jan 2, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I was not the one insisting that it was ď195 GBP just for the main entryĒ, that was you in your haste top prove you are incapable of reading
Doesn't change the price does it?

Level 6

#113185 Jan 2, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I lived and worked there over the years. France and many other places too. We generally stuck to Indian Food. Please take my comments with a sense of humor. I'm mostly kidding around. I love British people.
Yes the fast food joints are easy to find. That's the strategy. And did you notice who's eating there? Mostly low income and tourists! I haven't been to a fast food joint in ages. The food sucks and is high in fat and salt and sugar to get poor unsuspecting people addicted to it and the overly sweetened carbonated drinks that go with. Only suckers eat at places like Burger King (founded in Miami b/t/w), McDonalds, KYC, Wendy's, Taco Bell, etc.
They're found along busy roads and intersections for a reason. I doubt you'll ever see a professional or educated person eat there. Just becaues you see them doesn't mean we eat there. Certainly people into health and fitness don't. There is lots of American gimmicks to get your money. Just because it's there doesn't mean it's good. That's the seedy side of Miami that you should drive past.
Explore South Florida's well-established Chef-Centered culinary culture. Thousands of chef-run little jems to dazzle your palate. This is a hub of fine-dining and culinary education nerve-center. A natural because of our high tourist traffic and cruise industry.
Iíll take your comments how they read, not how you make hindsight excuses for them

I have explored the dining scene from Orlando down Miami to a limited extent and to be honest I found it reasonably ok, particularly the seafood. I canít say I found anywhere to rave about but had no complaints either.

However I was not the one sniping at what is the British roadside cafe and take away equivalent of US junk food as though thatís what we all eat.

The food in the UK, has evolved rapidly in my lifetime to become amongst the best there is to offer and taking the p|ss from what appears to be the position of ignorance or malice just makes you look silly

Level 6

#113186 Jan 2, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Doesn't change the price does it?
Yes actually it does, the difference between the price for a complete 3 course meal and something considerably more if one had taken your lies as serious.

Level 6

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#113187 Jan 2, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Iíll take your comments how they read, not how you make hindsight excuses for them
I have explored the dining scene from Orlando down Miami to a limited extent and to be honest I found it reasonably ok, particularly the seafood. I canít say I found anywhere to rave about but had no complaints either.
However I was not the one sniping at what is the British roadside cafe and take away equivalent of US junk food as though thatís what we all eat.
The food in the UK, has evolved rapidly in my lifetime to become amongst the best there is to offer and taking the p|ss from what appears to be the position of ignorance or malice just makes you look silly
So you concede the fact that I was right and you were wrong about the price. Go ahead, admit it. Admit that you were wrong.

OK, all is forgiven.

I have reservations in a few weeks at the Prelude by Barton-G which is located in the Adrienne Arsht Performing Arts Center. Full course gourmet meal for under $50!

http://www.preludebybartong.com/

(Afterward it's the Cleveland Orchestra and Joshua Bell playing Beethoven's Violin Concerto and Shostakovich #10.)

Level 6

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#113188 Jan 2, 2013
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes actually it does, the difference between the price for a complete 3 course meal and something considerably more if one had taken your lies as serious.
Please show your calculation. I used 195 GBP as advertised on their website "The Tasting Menu" here:

Please look at the menu. I am not lying!

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#113189 Jan 2, 2013

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#113190 Jan 2, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Surely you mean recind. I accept and Happy New Year. We have our differences but one thing is for sure, you are real and very talented and speak your mind. I appreciate that.

Complementing people? You still drunk?

Seriously, I hope you have a happy new year.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#113191 Jan 2, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You are correct in that I do scroll past most of his junk. It's hard to tolerate redundancy.

To suggest that Jimbo is redundant is, in itself, redundant.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#113192 Jan 2, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
I was not the one making any claims. You were the one that said that only a small fringe still believes in creation. You are the one that claimed the VAST majority of the world accepts the secular view of evolution and so far everything indicates that was erroneous or at best, extreme exaggeration based on biased opinion.
You suggest that if I travel (which I do widely) I will know what the world believes regarding origins? Laughable! It just doesn't work that way. If you travel to some country and lucky to ask one person there, that doesn't mean he or she reflects the views of the whole country. A ridiculous, immature notion. It's as if you have no education at all.
Your stupid unsupported chart comes from a highly biased source with an obvious agenda. New Scientist Magazine? Is this a joke? Listing Iceland, a country with barely a few hundred thousand people. The rest was western europe and Japan. So even with your stupid chart you still have no support to claim vast majority.
Talk about analytical skills. Dutchy, you are the quintessential bigot when it comes to Christiantiy and creation. You have no support for your claims - just talk.
Even if you had support for your claims it wouldn't matter to me or to anyone truly scientific as that is not evidence for anything. Those are just opinion polls.
Furthermore, it is trully non-scientific to conclude based on popularity. It should not even be discussed. Science should be based on evidence and not personal opinion. Especially from people like you who have an axe to grind...people like you who are so bigoted against Christians and other people of faith.
Can I give you some advice? Stop giving us your useless opinion and for once offer up some science. You know, maybe something about genetics or fossils or cosmology...anything but more of your broken record lunacy about goat herding and popularity. It is like you are posting the same cartoon over and over, year after year. It is mind-numbingly stupid!

he must have nailed you for you to spend that many words trying to work out a dodge.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 1 hr NoahLovesU 163,772
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 9 hr dirtclod 141,328
News Darwin on the rocks (Sep '14) 10 hr Chimney1 1,871
How can we prove God exists, or does not? Sat Kong_ 80
News British Ban Teaching Creationism As Science, Sh... (Jul '14) Sat Swedenforever 159
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) May 19 Kathleen 19,031
Science News NOT related to evolution (Jul '09) May 15 emrenil 1,243
More from around the web