Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 178619 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

Mtum

United States

#113153 Jan 1, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You want evidence for an opinion? Are you trying to be funny, because if so, it's not a very good joke, you need a punchline.
Yes you furling idiot, although by your words you're too stupid to realize that an opinion needs supporting evidence, to be worth anything, but of course, morons wouldn't know that. Lmao

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#113154 Jan 1, 2013
I meant rescind! Dang it!

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#113155 Jan 1, 2013
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Ahhh, how little you know Jimbo, he normally only has 3-4 hours of nonsense posts before he peters out - he tends to utilize that precious time with insulting everyone, being oblivious to the irony when he asks people for evidence - then going for some wild conspiracy theory.
You are correct in that I do scroll past most of his junk. It's hard to tolerate redundancy.
Mtum

United States

#113156 Jan 1, 2013
Talk your childish BS children, but if science is spoken, you don't stand a chance, by your own stupidity.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#113157 Jan 1, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Surely you mean recind. I accept and Happy New Year. We have our differences but one thing is for sure, you are real and very talented and speak your mind. I appreciate that.
Yeah ... spellcheck didn't help me much there, I meant rescind.:p

Happy new year to you as well, and thank you.
Mtum

United States

#113158 Jan 1, 2013
Today's scientists love their stupidity.

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Back to spamming I see. So you cannot address anything that's presented, you can't oppose or deny the facts, thus you just continue to spam the forum with garbage.
Here's the thing, they have mathematical formulas that work, they actually work to predict things, you have a bunch of assertions and some fourth grade level arithmetic. The physicists have evidence, demonstrable evidence, evidence that NASA has relied on for a while now which has not let them down.
To your satellite garbage, it's a combination of inertia and centrifugal force, anyone with a 7the grade or higher education knows that. They are attracted to the planet, and eventually do enter the atmosphere and burn up. You can often see them, they look like "shooting stars," like meteorites, basically. Sometimes the manage to actually make landfall, though they usually wind up in the ocean since that's the largest area of the planet. If gravity had a "push" effect, this would never happen, ever, we'd have to fly shuttles up there to clean up the atmosphere every decade just to keep from blocking the sun.

Mtum said,--Said the proverbial moron above.

Space debris can stay in orbit for a long timeódecades in orbits near the Earth, and essentially forever at very high altitudes.

Here ya go moron.

http://www.ucsusa.org/assets/documents/nwgs/D ...
Report this post

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#113159 Jan 1, 2013
UC, I also want to add that I do enjoy discussions with you, even when you're completely wrong. I'm not very apt at actually talking to people in an unprofessional setting, you give me some excellent practice.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#113160 Jan 1, 2013
Looks like I broke the Agravitationist again. Someone call the repair person please.
wtf

Kent, WA

#113161 Jan 1, 2013
Facts should be taught in school
MIDutch

Waterford, MI

#113162 Jan 1, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes I know. The US is 300 million or so. The world is 7 Billion. So reveal your evidence or admit it's only your opinion.
Wow, you really do suck at basic reading comprehension or internet search skills, don't you?

How many "young earth creationists" do you think there are in China or India or Japan or the Koreas or Cambodia or Thailand or Laos or Vietnam or Nepal or Bhutan or Mongolia or Myanmar or Bangladesh or Sri Lanka? FYI that's about half the worlds population right there. Given that "creationism" barely has any presence in most European Christian nations or Australia or New Zealand or Canada, that leaves you with the US and Taliban style Muslim countries and whatever scraps you can find in South America and Africa.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Views_on_Ev...

BTW everyone has noticed that you haven't produced any evidence to the contrary (other than your Gallup Poll for the United States). Why is that, exactly? You demand that I present evidence that the VAST majority of the world accept the ToE. So put up or shut up and present the evidence that a majority of the world are actually "young Earth creationists".
Mother Mary

Chicago, IL

#113163 Jan 1, 2013
One way or another wrote:
<quoted text>
So aliens aligned all the suns and planets? Did they do that during the Big Bang or after and where did they get all that dirt?
Owoa, humans are products of their environment....The sky is blue ; the earth is flat...wait, that was wrong. God created all life...wait, thats what they told you.And, believe they will. The Masters of the Universe want it that way.

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

#113164 Jan 1, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
Interesting that you list just US organizations!
The list included URLs ending in .uk,.jp,.be,.nl, and .cn.

The last time I checked, those domains were not in the United States.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#113165 Jan 1, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Not according to this Gallup poll:
A small minority of Americans hold the "secular evolution" view that humans evolved with no influence from God -- but the number has risen from 9% in 1982 to 16% today. At the same time, the 40% of Americans who hold the "creationist" view that God created humans as is 10,000 years ago is the lowest in Gallup's history of asking this question, and down from a high point of 47% in 1993 and 1999. There has been little change over the years in the percentage holding the "theistic evolution" view that humans evolved under God's guidance.
http://www.gallup.com/poll/145286/Four-Americ...
40% and decreasing is NOT a minority that is dying off? Oh, that's odd...it seems to be EXACTLY that.
MIDutch

Waterford, MI

#113166 Jan 1, 2013
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting that you list just US organizations!
Have you ever traveled outside of the US? Anywhere like Japan or India or Canada or the Netherlands, Sweden, Norway, Germany, etc.?

Do you have any idea what people in those countries think about science?

Or what they think about "creationism", if they think about it at all?

Level 6

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#113167 Jan 1, 2013
MIDutch wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, you really do suck at basic reading comprehension or internet search skills, don't you?
How many "young earth creationists" do you think there are in China or India or Japan or the Koreas or Cambodia or Thailand or Laos or Vietnam or Nepal or Bhutan or Mongolia or Myanmar or Bangladesh or Sri Lanka? FYI that's about half the worlds population right there. Given that "creationism" barely has any presence in most European Christian nations or Australia or New Zealand or Canada, that leaves you with the US and Taliban style Muslim countries and whatever scraps you can find in South America and Africa.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Views_on_Ev...
BTW everyone has noticed that you haven't produced any evidence to the contrary (other than your Gallup Poll for the United States). Why is that, exactly? You demand that I present evidence that the VAST majority of the world accept the ToE. So put up or shut up and present the evidence that a majority of the world are actually "young Earth creationists".
I was not the one making any claims. You were the one that said that only a small fringe still believes in creation. You are the one that claimed the VAST majority of the world accepts the secular view of evolution and so far everything indicates that was erroneous or at best, extreme exaggeration based on biased opinion.

You suggest that if I travel (which I do widely) I will know what the world believes regarding origins? Laughable! It just doesn't work that way. If you travel to some country and lucky to ask one person there, that doesn't mean he or she reflects the views of the whole country. A ridiculous, immature notion. It's as if you have no education at all.

Your stupid unsupported chart comes from a highly biased source with an obvious agenda. New Scientist Magazine? Is this a joke? Listing Iceland, a country with barely a few hundred thousand people. The rest was western europe and Japan. So even with your stupid chart you still have no support to claim vast majority.

Talk about analytical skills. Dutchy, you are the quintessential bigot when it comes to Christiantiy and creation. You have no support for your claims - just talk.

Even if you had support for your claims it wouldn't matter to me or to anyone truly scientific as that is not evidence for anything. Those are just opinion polls.

Furthermore, it is trully non-scientific to conclude based on popularity. It should not even be discussed. Science should be based on evidence and not personal opinion. Especially from people like you who have an axe to grind...people like you who are so bigoted against Christians and other people of faith.

Can I give you some advice? Stop giving us your useless opinion and for once offer up some science. You know, maybe something about genetics or fossils or cosmology...anything but more of your broken record lunacy about goat herding and popularity. It is like you are posting the same cartoon over and over, year after year. It is mind-numbingly stupid!

Level 6

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#113168 Jan 1, 2013
Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
The list included URLs ending in .uk,.jp,.be,.nl, and .cn.
The last time I checked, those domains were not in the United States.
I should have said most. Big deal.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Evolution is true.....

#113169 Jan 1, 2013
wtf wrote:
Facts should be taught in school
Most of them do...its the stupid creotards who want to teach religion in schools.
steverye

Salt Lake City, UT

#113170 Jan 1, 2013
There is not a theory of evolution. There is a fact of evolution.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#113171 Jan 1, 2013
Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
For example, we've been able to predict the general type of what we would find in the way of fossils in particular time frames (such as Tiktaalik).
<quoted text>
Actually, that *is* predicting the future when we discover fossils that were previously unknown. By "predicting the future", we mean that we are predicting what observations we'll make in the future.
I agree with you - that evolution has made successful predictions about what we will observe or find in nature. Tiktaalik is a classic example, and this is prediction in the sense of testing a theory.

However, I am pointing to another issue, given some attention since the arrival of chaos and complexity theory along with quantum mechanics. It is about the inherent unpredictability of complex systems.

An early view of science was that given enough information about the current state, and the right laws, the future would be entirely predictable. We no longer believe that, understanding that the predictability of complex systems is inherent, and no amount of information will ever render them predictable.

I don't know if you ever read Asimov...back in my early days I read Foundation where psychology was going to be so accurate that the whole future of the Empire was mapped out by a bunch of equations...this is a view of science that is well and truly dead now!

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#113172 Jan 2, 2013
steverye wrote:
There is not a theory of evolution. There is a fact of evolution.
Evolution is a fact AND a (scientific) theory.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 19 min MikeF 164,712
proof of gods existence .....or lack there of 45 min lozzza 106
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 6 hr lozzza 19,142
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 11 hr dirtclod 141,472
How would creationists explain... (Nov '14) 23 hr MikeF 490
When is Quote Mining Justified? Sun Zog Has-fallen 28
Christian Theology and the Natural Sciences are... Sat Zog Has-fallen 1
More from around the web