Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 | Posted by: Cash | Full story: www.scientificblogging.com

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."
Comments
108,921 - 108,940 of 171,510 Comments Last updated 4 hrs ago

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

defender wrote:
<quoted text>
Its bias one sided agenda pushing bullshit...

Yes, but what about evolutionist sites?
LowellGuy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

defender wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok... What false statements did he make?
Where to begin. Ever hear when an evolutionary biologist called in to Hovind's show? Hundreds of lies by Hovind.
LowellGuy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Talkorigins has no authority. It is not peer reviewed and is highly biased and single purposed. It is just a collection of evolutionist rants to try and counter the numerous creationist claims.
But "creation science journals" are objective and unbiased. Retard. That you think PNAS and NEJM are on par with the Bible-based reality-denying rags you read shows how detached from reality you are..

Found a single technological innovation, invention, or medical treatment to come from "creation science" yet? You've had plenty of time.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Lakeland, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

defender wrote:
<quoted text>
I must have because it certainly wasn't in the info about his experiment ...
Too lazy to read all the articles?

Here's two where it is discussed.

http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/CB/CB035.h...

http://www.talkorigins.org/origins/feedback/a...

Level 8

Lakeland, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

defender wrote:
<quoted text>
Its bias one sided agenda pushing bullshit...
Yes and I wish you folks would knock it off.

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
But "creation science journals" are objective and unbiased. Retard. That you think PNAS and NEJM are on par with the Bible-based reality-denying rags you read shows how detached from reality you are..
Found a single technological innovation, invention, or medical treatment to come from "creation science" yet? You've had plenty of time.
I could say the same about you.

Level 6

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Judged:

One hundred billion galaxies containing 100 billion stars each. Thirteen point four billion years. That would mean that about 20,000 new stars would have to form each second for 13.4 billion years. And yet, we have yet to see the first documented new star form. There is not even one unequivocal, clear-cut, indisputable case of a new star. No before and after picture and any portion of the entire universe. (Plus the fact that the laws of physics makes it impossible to happen anyway.) It is true, you are without excuse.
Tyler Across the Galaxy

Elkton, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Again, all I'm hearing is that Talkorigins doesn't hold creationism in high regard. Nobody's actually said it's wrong, or pointed out any flaws in the arguments. It's like everybody's trying to get around refuting the actual argument by attempting to discredit the source, except very very badly.
Portal

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Psychology wrote:
If I'm a planet and my orbit gets closer to the sun, is my gravity going to change? Why yes jimmy, it's going to get stronger. Thank you.
Have you got a pickle, why no, I have a pickle.
Is a straight line straight? No, if you look with a microscope, you will see deviations.
Watch for the spelling cop, he has nothing else.
I scared off C1....I mentioned.....ETs.....scary stuff! Thats why most humans bow and bury their heads in religious crap....not one piece of evidence that anyone walked on water! To many galaxies to count.....theres your sign.....use your gray to make it matter!
Portal

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes! Peer reviewed, internationally accepted bullshit cross checked with multiple line of bullshit evidence and decades of falsified experiments, designed by the 150 year old world wide conspiracy of scientists working in league with Satan to discredit Jesus. You will find these Satanists everywhere, in their white coats or with their little palaeontology pick-axes and ugly sandals, scouring the earth for bullshit, falsifying radiometric dating results, deliberately miscounting molecular clocks, misreporting on the cosmic background radiation, pretending that the continents are moving, hiding all the fossils of flowing plants from the deeper strata, pretending there is a geologic column, inventing intermediate forms and smuggling them into dig sites to be "discovered".
When I discovered the true depth and breadth of the bullshit conspiracy propounded by science, I swear it was beyond belief!
You WILL respond......is that clear C1? Blue Book, SETI any ideas......why no contact, just sightings? Let me enlighten you.........The controllers are in control........Humans are ease to control because their senses and subconscious are limited....yes C1, you are included..........later.Compre hention is the most limited human function!

Level 8

Lakeland, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Urban Cowboy wrote:
One hundred billion galaxies containing 100 billion stars each. Thirteen point four billion years. That would mean that about 20,000 new stars would have to form each second for 13.4 billion years. And yet, we have yet to see the first documented new star form. There is not even one unequivocal, clear-cut, indisputable case of a new star. No before and after picture and any portion of the entire universe.(Plus the fact that the laws of physics makes it impossible to happen anyway.) It is true, you are without excuse.
Geez, I'm really sorry, Urb. We'll get that time-lapse camera on Hubble as soon as possible. Come back in a few million years and we can all watch it.

You really have no concept of cosmological time scales whatsoever, do you?

Putz.

Level 8

Lakeland, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Tyler Across the Galaxy wrote:
Again, all I'm hearing is that Talkorigins doesn't hold creationism in high regard. Nobody's actually said it's wrong, or pointed out any flaws in the arguments. It's like everybody's trying to get around refuting the actual argument by attempting to discredit the source, except very very badly.
You are kidding, right? How long have you been here?

Level 6

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Portal wrote:
<quoted text>I scared off C1....I mentioned.....ETs.....scary stuff! Thats why most humans bow and bury their heads in religious crap....not one piece of evidence that anyone walked on water! To many galaxies to count.....theres your sign.....use your gray to make it matter!
Well, it is 5AM in Abudabi.

Level 8

Lakeland, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Portal wrote:
<quoted text>You WILL respond......is that clear C1? Blue Book, SETI any ideas......why no contact, just sightings? Let me enlighten you.........The controllers are in control........Humans are ease to control because their senses and subconscious are limited....yes C1, you are included..........later.Compre hention is the most limited human function!
Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission. If we wish to make it louder, we will bring up the volume. If we wish to make it softer, we will tune it to a whisper. We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical. We can roll the image, make it flutter. We can change the focus to a soft blur or sharpen it to crystal clarity.

Level 6

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Geez, I'm really sorry, Urb. We'll get that time-lapse camera on Hubble as soon as possible. Come back in a few million years and we can all watch it.
You really have no concept of cosmological time scales whatsoever, do you?
Putz.
It already has one you moron. What part of the time scale don't I understand? Will for once say something at least remotely comprehensible? Are you capable of expressing a complete thought?

Level 6

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Mike, do you think you see the entire cosmos as a snapshot in time or are you looking back in time the further you look? Just curious.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Urban Cowboy wrote:
One hundred billion galaxies containing 100 billion stars each. Thirteen point four billion years. That would mean that about 20,000 new stars would have to form each second for 13.4 billion years. And yet, we have yet to see the first documented new star form. There is not even one unequivocal, clear-cut, indisputable case of a new star. No before and after picture and any portion of the entire universe.(Plus the fact that the laws of physics makes it impossible to happen anyway.) It is true, you are without excuse.

Actually we have seen stars both go on and go off.

Maybe you mean in our own galaxy as that would still be true. The same with supernova, at least for the last 400 years.

We also have many pictures of stars being formed.

Level 6

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually we have seen stars both go on and go off.
Maybe you mean in our own galaxy as that would still be true. The same with supernova, at least for the last 400 years.
We also have many pictures of stars being formed.
Nope not a one. There is not a single documented, undisputed case of a new star forming - anywhere in the universe. That is a fact. You have pictures of rotating gas pulling apart and that's it.

I'll state the problem again. You have 100 billion galaxies times 100 billion stars to have formed with the assumed age of the universe, an average of 20,000 new stars every second of the entire 13.8 billion years. But not even one can be found!

Level 6

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission. If we wish to make it louder, we will bring up the volume. If we wish to make it softer, we will tune it to a whisper. We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical. We can roll the image, make it flutter. We can change the focus to a soft blur or sharpen it to crystal clarity.
Outer Limits or Twilight Zone? Either way, it does describe Darwinism quite well.

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2012

defender wrote:
Talkorigins is not truthful at all
Funny, then, that you've failed to identify a single one of its "lies".

Why is that?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••