Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 Full story: www.scientificblogging.com 174,050

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand." Full Story
Psychology

Jacksonville, FL

#111481 Dec 8, 2012
Look up analogy of gravity. Neither newton nor Einstein offer an analogy of gravity, because they offer no proof.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#111482 Dec 8, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Wait, he was serious about that? Now I'm laughing too hard.

He is seriously demented. Jim is our broken little boy.

I explained gravity at great length to him and in the simplest language. ZIP! Right over his head.

Delusional disorder only affect 3 people out of a thousand, but somehow they seem to gravitate to online forums.

I have a hypothesis about that.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#111483 Dec 8, 2012
Psychology wrote:

You did not actually read the post, did ya? Nope, you just looked at the cartoon.

I am surprised you got that far.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#111484 Dec 8, 2012
Psychology wrote:

Oh, and you do know the site is about tripping on magic mushrooms, right?

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#111485 Dec 8, 2012
Psychology wrote:
Look up analogy of gravity. Neither newton nor Einstein offer an analogy of gravity, because they offer no proof.

This seems to indicate that you do not know what an analogy is or why it is use NOR the limitations of analogy.

Until you understand real gravity there is little point in discussing it with you.

So far you have not given any indication you understand even the simple mental experiment I gave you.
Mugwump

Manchester, UK

#111486 Dec 8, 2012
Psychology wrote:
Jim, until you actual defend you hypothesis by answering questions or backing it up with some maths - you are simply presenting a child's unfinished homework (oh, that's your definition of a theory isn't it?)

So you got nothing

give it up

(did you get an email response from the professor you emailed with your.'Childs unfinished homework' by the way)
Psychology

Jacksonville, FL

#111487 Dec 8, 2012
Wouldn't it be nice if science could actually explain gravity? That ain't gonna happen.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#111488 Dec 8, 2012
Psychology wrote:
Wouldn't it be nice if science could actually explain gravity? That ain't gonna happen.
Well, of course it doesn't, science doesn't explain anything. But scientists explain gravity quite well.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#111489 Dec 8, 2012
Psychology wrote:
What sort of explanation do you want?

It already explains the motion of the planets much better than any halfassed guess that you have been able to come up with so far.
Psychology

Jacksonville, FL

#111490 Dec 8, 2012
No one anywhere can explain Einsteins theory on gravity, because he never gave one.
Psychology

Jacksonville, FL

#111491 Dec 8, 2012
Einstein was not the idiot so many make him out to be, by claiming,-/Einsteins theory of gravity.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#111492 Dec 8, 2012
Psychology wrote:

Einstein explained gravity.

That is what "theory" means in science.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitation#Gene...

And the equations are here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_equation#G...

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#111493 Dec 8, 2012
Psychology wrote:
No one anywhere can explain Einsteins theory on gravity, because he never gave one.

This is what your extensive research has lead you to conclude?

BWHAHAHAHAHA

I am beginning to understand the role of the court jester.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#111494 Dec 8, 2012
Psychology wrote:
Einstein was not the idiot so many make him out to be, by claiming,-/Einsteins theory of gravity.

Specifically:

G_{ab}=\kappa T_{ab}.

where &#954; = 8&#960;G/c4 is a constant (which appears in the Einstein field equations, and not the action).

The vacuum solution can be obtained by varying the following Einstein–Hilbert action with respect to the metric

S[g]=k \int R \sqrt{-g}\, d^4x

If this does not render then you can see it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_equation#G...
Psychology

Jacksonville, FL

#111495 Dec 8, 2012
Einstein was not stupid enough to write a theory on gravity and some things he wrote were simply wrong. He gave it his bestest guess.
Psychology

Jacksonville, FL

#111496 Dec 8, 2012
You don't explain the theory of gravity with a coin and a feather, only morons think they can.
Mugwump

Manchester, UK

#111497 Dec 8, 2012
Psychology wrote:
Einstein was not stupid enough to write a theory on gravity and some things he wrote were simply wrong. He gave it his bestest guess.
Point out specifically

A) what is wrong with the current understanding of gravity

B) why your 'child's unfinished homework' is a better model

No? Thought not
Psychology

Jacksonville, FL

#111498 Dec 8, 2012
Here's a fascinating guy.

Physicists will never come to grips with the grand theories of the universe, Penrose holds, until they see past the blinding distractions of today’s half-baked theories to the deepest layer of the reality in which we live.

See that you morons, half baked theories.

http://discovermagazine.com/2009/sep/06-disco...

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#111499 Dec 8, 2012
Psychology wrote:
You don't explain the theory of gravity with a coin and a feather, only morons think they can.

And you know something about morons.
Psychology

Jacksonville, FL

#111500 Dec 8, 2012
Hahahahahahaha , I tried to treat the morons here, a lot better than they deserve, but they would much rather be known for the morons they choose to be.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Satanic Character of Social Darwinism 1 hr Bluenose 542
It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 2 hr DanFromSmithville 137,161
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 8 hr Aura Mytha 116,870
Can the universe be God's brain? (Jun '07) 8 hr KimBoe 71
The problem of evil and hate (Oct '13) 9 hr BeHereNow 365
Need clarification on evolution 12 hr TurkanaBoy 19
New review critical of "Origins" 12 hr TurkanaBoy 40
•••

Evolution Debate People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••