Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 Full story: www.scientificblogging.com 176,162

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand." Full Story

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#111467 Dec 8, 2012
defender wrote:
<quoted text>
That would work out better than the other theory (hogwash)... Sad but true...

Dunning-Kruger Effect.

Level 1

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#111468 Dec 8, 2012
Bat Foy wrote:
<quoted text>
No most abortions were in DC New York held a close second. If you want I can give you a link to it. The least amount were in Idaho. Something else I found interesting was that 36% of the abortions in the US were African American and some 70% of the abortions in New York were African American. I'm in no way racist but its beginning to look a lot like genocide.
Bat Foy new friend

I heard it on television, and now looked it up, Margaret Sanger, the founder of Planned Parenthood was a racist, and started the Negro Project....Clinics were set up close to African Americans for abortions....She believed in eugenics(sterilizing "unfit").

She is revered as a saint by Planned Parenthood advocates, and pro-abortionists....

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#111469 Dec 8, 2012
thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
You write:
“I think you are confused. You are the one who thinks they know best who should live and who must die and you are the one who is advocating killing innocent lives not me. I am not in a position to control anyone. I am just telling you how I feel about it.”
I do not think I know best who should live or die; why in hell would you say such a stupid thing?? And I do not advocate killing innocent lives, again, why would you say such a stupid thing?
This is rhetoric designed to misdirect those who you are trying to mislead. The owner of the body who wants an abortion is the arbiter of whether the FETUS will live or not. It is not a viable life when abortion is available.
You say:
“. I am just telling you how I feel about it. I also think you should educate yourself better on the state of the unborn child - especially late term and partial birth and the grissly <sic>procedures performed to kill it and the severe pychological <sic>effects on the mother and others.”
Not your (or my) problems…you have no horse in this race…stay out of it.
You say:
“There is a strong abortion-suicide link. Plus there is a very long wait to adopt. Loving the child is always better than killing it.”
Again, this is not your problem…stay out of other people’s business. And it IS NOT killing a child…can you possibly ever understand this, or will you continue in you ignorance forever?
You say:
“As far as legality<sic> goes, maybe it's better to keep it legal for safety reasons and hopefully parents will teach their children loving ways so they make wise decisions regarding relationships.”
Yes, keeping safe and legal abortions available is the humane thing to do, as it is known for a fact that women will seek abortion no matter what, and the ‘back-alley’ ones will always be obtainable, and dangerous. I would not want a pregnant daughter to seek illegal help to abort an unwanted pregnancy, no matter what the cause.
Women are autonomous, not chattel.™
It's amazing. You keep saying I should keep out of other peoples Business. How have I ever been in their business? According to you I am not allowed to express my opinion? Again, you seem to be the one wants to be in charge of other people's opinions. You love the idea that a young girl who is emotionally immature, to have the power to give the thumbs up or thumbs down on a living soul. I think abortions are killings and are disgusting and easily avoidable. You seem to love the blood and gore and death. Do you also love death and killing on the battle field? Are you pro-war? Are you pro death-penalty? Do you disagree with laws against murder? Don't you see the gross inconsistencies with your views? You people make no sense.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#111470 Dec 8, 2012
Urb, except for personal prejudice do you have any evidence that abortion is murder?

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#111471 Dec 8, 2012
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
Bat Foy new friend
I heard it on television, and now looked it up, Margaret Sanger, the founder of Planned Parenthood was a racist, and started the Negro Project....Clinics were set up close to African Americans for abortions....She believed in eugenics(sterilizing "unfit").
She is revered as a saint by Planned Parenthood advocates, and pro-abortionists....

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Margaret_Sanger

Right wingers exaggerate their case.
Psychology

Jacksonville, FL

#111472 Dec 8, 2012
Right, that's why so many people play classical music, for their babies in the womb, as those people are claimed to be the brightest by so many.

Some of us actually have a brain and know how to use it.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#111473 Dec 8, 2012
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
Bat Foy new friend
I hope you're just trying to be sarcastic, because this is nothing but pure conspiracy nut hogwash. Planned Parenthood's services are, and have always been, 99% non-abortion related.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#111474 Dec 8, 2012
Psychology wrote:
Right, that's why so many people play classical music, for their babies in the womb, as those people are claimed to be the brightest by so many.
Not until after a couple months, in your case, I think the stem cells misread the DNA and turned into another intestinal tract.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#111475 Dec 8, 2012
Psychology wrote:

This coming from the guy who gave us the refuted notion of spin gravity.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#111476 Dec 8, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
This coming from the guy who gave us the refuted notion of spin gravity.
Wait, he was serious about that? Now I'm laughing too hard.
Psychology

Jacksonville, FL

#111477 Dec 8, 2012
Yup and I'm the guy with a proveable theory for gravity.

Thanks for giving reason to post again.

Look to the space junk that NASA wants to possibly incinerate in space. It must be in a high orbit not to fall back to earth. That suggests that gravity is  keeping it there, unlike space junk that is in lower orbits. There are two forces in gravity, one is attraction and one is repulsion. I will explain. The planets must sit in the suns high orbits, considering their mass, keeping them from falling into the sun, just as the space junk does not fall back to earth from its high orbit around the earth. 

The same applies to all planets orbiting suns , with respect to their mass  as the rocky worlds  settled into their orbits, while the much lighter planets settled further out, because they don't need as much gravity to hold their places. The suns repulsion gets stronger the closer a planet gets to it. That's why the planets with more mass get closer to the sun.

Looking at mercury, for it's size and mass, it fits my hypothesis.

Venus fits, it is 10% smaller than earth.

Earth fits correctly.

Mars is one sixth the mass. While its diameter is half of earths., so that fits. 

Jupiter's diameter is over ten times greater than the Earth's, but
It has over 300 times the mass. 

The question becomes, does circumference trump mass in my gravities repulsion theory. Looking at the gas giants, I'd say yes, but I have more to consider.

Saturn's diameter is about nine times greater than the Earth's
It has 95 times the mass, which means it falls in place behind Jupiter, correctly.

Uranus' diameter is four times that of the Earth's and
It has 15 times the mass.
That falls in line with my theory

Neptune's diameter is slightly less than four times that of the Earth's
It has 17 times the mass.

Pluto's diameter less than 20 percent that of the Earth's (smaller than the Earth's Moon) 
It has less than one percent the mass.
That falls in line with my hypothesis.

Ok, I'm good with my gravitational theory now.

Hypothesis by ,--

Jim Ryan 

Since: Sep 12

Fort Worth, TX

#111478 Dec 8, 2012
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>Bat Foy new friend

That is one if the most disgusting things ever.
Psychology

Jacksonville, FL

#111479 Dec 8, 2012
Gravity, an analogy, using the rubber sheet theory lol
Psychology

Jacksonville, FL

#111480 Dec 8, 2012
Psychology

Jacksonville, FL

#111481 Dec 8, 2012
Look up analogy of gravity. Neither newton nor Einstein offer an analogy of gravity, because they offer no proof.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#111482 Dec 8, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Wait, he was serious about that? Now I'm laughing too hard.

He is seriously demented. Jim is our broken little boy.

I explained gravity at great length to him and in the simplest language. ZIP! Right over his head.

Delusional disorder only affect 3 people out of a thousand, but somehow they seem to gravitate to online forums.

I have a hypothesis about that.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#111483 Dec 8, 2012
Psychology wrote:

You did not actually read the post, did ya? Nope, you just looked at the cartoon.

I am surprised you got that far.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#111484 Dec 8, 2012
Psychology wrote:

Oh, and you do know the site is about tripping on magic mushrooms, right?

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#111485 Dec 8, 2012
Psychology wrote:
Look up analogy of gravity. Neither newton nor Einstein offer an analogy of gravity, because they offer no proof.

This seems to indicate that you do not know what an analogy is or why it is use NOR the limitations of analogy.

Until you understand real gravity there is little point in discussing it with you.

So far you have not given any indication you understand even the simple mental experiment I gave you.
Mugwump

Manchester, UK

#111486 Dec 8, 2012
Psychology wrote:
Jim, until you actual defend you hypothesis by answering questions or backing it up with some maths - you are simply presenting a child's unfinished homework (oh, that's your definition of a theory isn't it?)

So you got nothing

give it up

(did you get an email response from the professor you emailed with your.'Childs unfinished homework' by the way)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 4 min JM_Brazil 134,134
god is not real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Jun '06) 2 hr Brian_G 13,627
How would creationists explain... 3 hr Chimney1 439
Why Are There No Transitional Animals Today? (Mar '09) 6 hr DanFromSmithville 507
An atheistic view on evolution vs. a godly view... 10 hr Hidingfromyou 698
Science News (Sep '13) Dec 24 positronium 2,944
Creationism coming to Ohio classrooms? Not with... Dec 20 nobody 7
More from around the web