Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 | Posted by: Cash | Full story: www.scientificblogging.com

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."
Comments
108,541 - 108,560 of 172,378 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago

“That's just MY opinion...”

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

Urban Cowboy wrote:
No, killing defenseless human beings against their will is evil. Pure evil.
Is this a Flood reference?
LowellGuy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I appreciate your honesty. I have also known women in my life that have had abortions and it never goes away. They wish it never happened. Some commit suicide over it. Others turn to drugs and alcohol over it. There is deep regret. Killing innocent human life never has a positive outcome.
Not every abortion is a lifelong nightmare, just as not every rape baby is seen as a miracle and blessing by the victim.
LowellGuy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

Psychology wrote:
Circumference trumps mass in my gravitational theory and it all fits.
So, a balloon has greater gravity than one teaspoon of the core of a white dwarf star? Really?
LowellGuy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
If you saw an innocent child being obviously sexually molested or abducted, would you jsut stand back and let it happen or would you do something to try and stop it?
Depends...is it a virgin girl from a village that your God declared genocide upon?

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Not every abortion is a lifelong nightmare, just as not every rape baby is seen as a miracle and blessing by the victim.
What is the perspective of the baby?
LowellGuy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
I read in my creationist newsletter that the Dalai Lama doesn't believe in Evolution.
If you can't trust the "Jesus rode a dinosaur" creationist newsletters to get the facts right, who CAN you trust?
LowellGuy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

Subduction Zone wrote:
Urb, since in the vague terms you phrased this we have to look at this as a usefulness problem. And from the Wiki entry on entropy, which covers the subject rather well:
<quoted text>
The paella when first put into the refrigerator was warmer, it was at a lower entropy. When it cooled its entropy rose.
We've all failed to get him to use terms properly, so I figured I'd use his stupid definitions against him.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>

Interesting anecdote: Democrat Joe Donnelly won the Indiana Senate race defeating Richard Mourdock (Republican). Mourdock had been leading the race by about 5 points until the two debated on TV a few weeks before the election. Mourdock answered a question about if an abortion in the case of rape should be allowed. Mourdock answered the same way UC just did. That the baby was a blessing and the will of god. Needless to say, even in Indiana, that was political suicide and he was slaughtered in the election.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
So, a balloon has greater gravity than one teaspoon of the core of a white dwarf star? Really?

Shocking.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't you remember I posted all those links and walked us through the equations? Complexity is key.
No, complexity is a relative description. It's called subjective for a reason.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
What is the perspective of the baby?
Without a brain, it's perspective is non-existent.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Without a brain, it's perspective is non-existent.

You talking about urban or the baby?

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Tenerife

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
No, killing defenseless human beings against their will is evil. Pure evil.
We're talking fetuses dumba-s, they are not human beings. Wanting to control woman's bodies through your fcuking religion is pure evil.

You religious nut jobs need to stay OUT of other peoples business.

Early nut job religionists came to the Americas and were killing babies by bashing their heads against the rocks...now you are against aborting unfeeling fetuses...big effing wow.

You people are sanctimonious a-holes

Level 9

Tenerife

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Severe and permanent repurcussions. Destroys lives and souls. The killings are a permanent record and it has very negative effects on everyone involved.
Which 'killings' are you talking about??

What 'permanent record' are you talking about??

What 'permanent repercussions' are you talking about.

Souls are mythical religious bullsh!t...don't exist.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
You talking about urban or the baby?
Grr, I was certain I was talking about the baby before ... now I'm not so sure which one.

Level 9

Tenerife

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Since when did it become your choice what a woman does or does not do with her own body?
The decision for abortion is mostly (not always) taken on health grounds by qualified professionals, not convenience of oh, god won’t like it
And because you have made that choice women are being threatened, doctors and health workers attacked, even killed and clinics are being destroyed and bombed.
As a good christian do you not feel that such abuse of the person and property is a little disproportionate?
I think the non-religious should be attacking the anti-abortionists and letting them know (forcefully) that we don't appreciate their god sticking his nose into the business of someone who wants an abortion.

The anti-abortionists are a evil group of people who are trying to impose their stupid religion on EVERYONE. Resist them with the same tactics they themselves use.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
We've all failed to get him to use terms properly, so I figured I'd use his stupid definitions against him.
Ignorance can be mighty powerful armor.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the non-religious should be attacking the anti-abortionists and letting them know (forcefully) that we don't appreciate their god sticking his nose into the business of someone who wants an abortion.
The anti-abortionists are a evil group of people who are trying to impose their stupid religion on EVERYONE. Resist them with the same tactics they themselves use.
It is not even a proper religious argument. It is all based upon one slightly vague verse in the Bible, Urb's favorite kind. There are several verse that indicate that the god of the Bible did not think that abortion was murder.
Psychology

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

Just in case anyone can refute my work.

Look to the space junk that NASA wants to possibly incinerate in space. It must be in a high orbit not to fall back to earth. That suggests that gravity is  keeping it there, unlike space junk that is in lower orbits. There are two forces in gravity, one is attraction and one is repulsion. I will explain. The planets must sit in the suns high orbits, considering their mass, keeping them from falling into the sun, just as the space junk does not fall back to earth from its high orbit around the earth. 

The same applies to all planets orbiting suns , with respect to their mass  as the rocky worlds  settled into their orbits, while the much lighter planets settled further out, because they don't need as much gravity to hold their places. The suns repulsion gets stronger the closer a planet gets to it. That's why the planets with more mass get closer to the sun.

Looking at mercury, for it's size and mass, it fits my hypothesis.

Venus fits, it is 10% smaller than earth.

Earth fits correctly.

Mars is one sixth the mass. While its diameter is half of earths., so that fits. 

Jupiter's diameter is over ten times greater than the Earth's, but
It has over 300 times the mass. 

The question becomes, does circumference trump mass in my gravities repulsion theory. Looking at the gas giants, I'd say yes, but I have more to consider.

Saturn's diameter is about nine times greater than the Earth's
It has 95 times the mass, which means it falls in place behind Jupiter, correctly.

Uranus' diameter is four times that of the Earth's and
It has 15 times the mass.
That falls in line with my theory

Neptune's diameter is slightly less than four times that of the Earth's
It has 17 times the mass.

Pluto's diameter less than 20 percent that of the Earth's (smaller than the Earth's Moon) 
It has less than one percent the mass.
That falls in line with my hypothesis.

Ok, I'm good with my gravitational theory now.

Hypothesis by ,--

Jim Ryan

Since: Sep 12

Fort Worth, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 7, 2012

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>No. Of course not. The baby is a miracle and a blessing.
As a man I can't even imagine how hard that situation must be. I think the same thing but if it were my daughter after a killed a man I have no idea what I would feel. Big difference between what we think and what we feel.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••