Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 179706 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

“Evil Atheist :-)”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#111210 Dec 6, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
But the mutations continue to accumulate and if there is close family inbreeding, the recessive genes will surface and cause disease.
Resulting in those failing to breed successfully and thus the damaged genes get weeded out.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#111211 Dec 6, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude, get hold of yourself!
Come on, you said I am an idiot because I did not see the difference, so explain!

When a Hebrew zealot cut the throat of a five year old Midianite boy, following the orders of Moses who apparently had the ear of the Creator of the Universe instructing him...

Tell me how that is different from the SS Guard marching a boy into the gas chambers, told by his Fuhrer that it is the will of God and nature and necessary to save his kin?

No damned difference. The Old Testament was the Mein Kampf of the Jews.

Level 6

Location hidden

#111212 Dec 6, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
I still don't see the corollary. How are we being hypocritical?
You also do not see the difference between say, a Tsunami, and the deliberate act of murder on children.

Only a dogmatist can be so evil.

Level 6

Location hidden

#111213 Dec 6, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
I whole-heartily agree with those statements. How does that make us hypocritical? We are being honest and upfront about our beliefs.
You are honest about your beliefs, but not about the evidence that you claim supports them.

And you apparently believe in humans committing Genocide too. While claiming it is a "Darwinist" notion. Vile and hypocritical.

Level 6

Location hidden

#111214 Dec 6, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Completely different situation. This is like comparing a court ordered execution to a criminal homicide.
I don't remember the last court ordered execution of a three year old boy in any moral justice system. Please unenlighten us.

Level 6

Location hidden

#111215 Dec 6, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
You guys speak from both sides of your mouth.
And you whine about abortion and Nazi genocide while claiming that killing every last member of a nation except for the yummy virgin girls is God's will.

Have you the slightest capacity for rational thought and reflection left in your Cult addled brain?
Mugwump

Bradford, UK

#111216 Dec 6, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
I still don't see the corollary. How are we being hypocritical?
The hypocrisy comes from your double standards that you apply to creation science and that supporting evolution - I have pointed this out numerous times before but is along the lines of you arguing against ToE/old earth with lines such as :(paraphrasing here)

'Its not science as it isn't observable'
'You cling on to your ideology'
'You presume evolution - then fit the evidence around it'
'You blindly accept it with no scientific evidence'

Then have the bare faced cheek to agree with the creation.com , AIG and others adherence to the bible above all else.

THAT - is where the hypocrisy is

Simple really - which is why you dodge every time I raise it

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Indianapolis, IN

#111217 Dec 6, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, you guys do it. Tell you what, I point it out next time.
You do that. While we have discussed many branches of science, I seriously doubt anyone has advanced the idea that ToE was all of science.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#111218 Dec 6, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, you just made that up. What about the sick or disabled? What was their crime? The Gypsies? The Christians? All the other undesirables?

I didn't make it up. It was one of the many "explanations" given at the Nuremberg Trials. Antisemitism has many "reasons" behind it (none of which are reasonable), but a couple had to do with Jews rejecting Christ and presumed guilt in his execution.

http://www.simpletoremember.com/vitals/reason...

Or to put it another way, it is irrational.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#111219 Dec 6, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't answer goofy question to people who have no idea what they are talking about. Chimney, it is clear that you are clueless about the Bible.

All the more reason to educate him. The 'Argument from Evil' is a major argument against all western religions. He is just espousing the viewpoint.

Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
To me its pretty vile if God ordered a flood or destroyed Sodom and Gommorah, but there is one CRITICAL difference between those atrocities and the slaughter of the Midianites. Can you guess what it is?
Lets see if you can spot the moral difference between
(A) a typhoon sweeping away a 3 year old boy
(B) a religious zealot thrusting his sword into a three year old boy's neck
or for that matter
(C) an SS Guard herding a 3 year old boy into a gas chamber.
(A) is different in an important way.
(B) and (C) are identical in an important way/
Can you tell how?

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#111220 Dec 6, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
All ignorance and lies. Conversation over.

Yes, you state ignorance and lies. I corrected you. Why are you running away from issues you brought up?

It is well established that the Gospels were written well after the events they speak of. They were likely culled from the oral tradition which was ever evolving. The difference in tone, Christology, and facts changes substantially from the first gospel (Mark) to the last (John) as the interceding 40 years or so saw a deification of Jesus from the earliest written account.

Maybe you should read a scholarly source. Just like with creationism you focus on what you like and close you eyes to a bigger truth.

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Except we don't have direct testimony of a single witness.
<quoted text>
Except most were written AFTER the events "prophesied". And many did not come true.
<quoted text>
Are you advocating having hallucinations?
<quoted text>
Wow. What history are YOU talking about. Human history is bloody and insane.
<quoted text>
One of the WORST excuses for a logical argument for Christianity that I have ever seen. Appalling, actually.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#111221 Dec 6, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
You guys gossip like little school girls.

Gee, all I said was that you have good taste in music and told the truth. Hardly a slap across the face with a white glove.

Level 8

Indianapolis, IN

#111222 Dec 6, 2012
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
And you whine about abortion and Nazi genocide while claiming that killing every last member of a nation except for the yummy virgin girls is God's will.
Have you the slightest capacity for rational thought and reflection left in your Cult addled brain?
Oh! Oh! I can answer that!{MikeF raises hand and waves frantically}
Level 6

Since: Aug 07

United States

#111223 Dec 6, 2012
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
The hypocrisy comes from your double standards that you apply to creation science and that supporting evolution - I have pointed this out numerous times before but is along the lines of you arguing against ToE/old earth with lines such as :(paraphrasing here)
'Its not science as it isn't observable'
'You cling on to your ideology'
'You presume evolution - then fit the evidence around it'
'You blindly accept it with no scientific evidence'
Then have the bare faced cheek to agree with the creation.com , AIG and others adherence to the bible above all else.
THAT - is where the hypocrisy is
Simple really - which is why you dodge every time I raise it
I do say those things but you don't agree. You deny it. You say that about me and don't deny it but I agree. So again, how am I being hypocritcal?
Level 6

United States

#111224 Dec 6, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Gee, all I said was that you have good taste in music and told the truth. Hardly a slap across the face with a white glove.
Don't take it so seriously. Maybe it was rude. I was just saying how you guys talk about me back and forth. It's weird.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#111225 Dec 6, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
"Nazi policies divided the population into two categories, the Volksgenossen ("national comrades"), who belonged to the Volksgemeinschaft, and the Gemeinschaftsfremde ("community aliens"), who did not. Nazi policies about repression divided people into three types of enemies, the "racial" enemies such as the Jews and the Gypsies who were viewed as enemies because of their "blood"; political opponents such as Marxists, liberals, Christians and the "reactionaries" who were viewed as wayward "National Comrades"; and moral opponents such as homosexuals, the "work-shy" and habitual criminals, also seen as wayward "National Comrades".[53] The last two groups were to be sent to concentration camps for "re-education", with the aim of eventual absorption into the Volksgemeinschaft, though some of the moral opponents were to be sterilized, as they were regarded as "genetically inferior"."
So I ask again, what were their crimes???

Christians were not considered as enemies to the Nazi's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Nazi...

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Program_of_the_...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positive_Christi...

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#111226 Dec 6, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
You guys speak from both sides of your mouth. At times you say evolution is all science and now you say it is restricted to actual living things. You don't think I see through your little charade? Also, it is dishonest to omit all opinion for origins. It is a huge cop-out.

Evolution is all science.

Evolution, as the term is usually used, is short for 'biological evolution'

Biological evolution is restricted to living things (per se).

There are certainly other types of evolution, e.g. chemical evolution, physical evolution.

Science has no definitive answer for origins. It is a work in progress though the 6 stages are known and there is a 7 point definition of what a life form is, which is well known as a working definition.

You try to warp the facts. The above are the facts. Are they clear enough?

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#111227 Dec 6, 2012
appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>
It's hard to keep your password safe from your evil twin. I intend to report my evil twin to the spelling police and other authorities associated with Topix-Homeland Security.

It is actually my evil twins password.

Level 8

Indianapolis, IN

#111228 Dec 6, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't take it so seriously. Maybe it was rude. I was just saying how you guys talk about me back and forth. It's weird.
And you and your evil twin, Ryan, isn't weird?
Level 6

United States

#111229 Dec 6, 2012
Dogen wrote:
Evolution is all science.
I'm telling Mike!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 43 min Eagle 12 14,801
News ID Isn't Science, But That's the Least Of Its P... 46 min DanFromSmithville 27
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 49 min DanFromSmithville 33,856
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 51 min DanFromSmithville 199,157
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 1 hr Don Barros Serrano 151,276
My Story Part 1 9 hr JanusBifrons 1
Evolution in action Jun 20 Darth Robo 9
More from around the web