Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 | Posted by: Cash | Full story: www.scientificblogging.com

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."
Comments
108,301 - 108,320 of 172,092 Comments Last updated 5 min ago

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Judged:

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
The two events have nothing to do with each other. How can you compare God's judgement on his enemies with Hitler exterminating Jews? What laws did the Holocaust victims break? What was their crime? You really shouldn't raise issues you know nothing about.

You really think the Midianites BABIES and young boys committed crimes against God that deserved being murdered? Did the young girls do anything deserving of sexual slavery?

God has enemies? Isn't this the same god who is now the god of all people?

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Judged:

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus already proved it. You don't expect Him to prove it to every generation do you? It would be reasonable to accept the testimonies of the evangelists who witnessed it;

Except we don't have direct testimony of a single witness.
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text> to come to an understanding of the many prophesies fullfilled;

Except most were written AFTER the events "prophesied". And many did not come true.
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text> to study science and see the ID and fine tuning;

Are you advocating having hallucinations?
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text> to study history and see God's hand in it.

Wow. What history are YOU talking about. Human history is bloody and insane.
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text> All of this and more combined should be enough so that there is no excuse.

One of the WORST excuses for a logical argument for Christianity that I have ever seen. Appalling, actually.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Judged:

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
They continually disobeyed God and were even worse than Sodom and Gommorah. God also destroyed the whole world. He created, He makes the rules, and He is very, very patient but at some they needed to be wiped out. So I ask you again, what were the Jews crimes?

According to the Nazi's they rejected the savior. that was their crime.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

UAE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Judged:

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
They continually disobeyed God and were even worse than Sodom and Gommorah. God also destroyed the whole world. He created, He makes the rules, and He is very, very patient but at some they needed to be wiped out. So I ask you again, what were the Jews crimes?
To me its pretty vile if God ordered a flood or destroyed Sodom and Gommorah, but there is one CRITICAL difference between those atrocities and the slaughter of the Midianites. Can you guess what it is?

Lets see if you can spot the moral difference between

(A) a typhoon sweeping away a 3 year old boy

(B) a religious zealot thrusting his sword into a three year old boy's neck

or for that matter

(C) an SS Guard herding a 3 year old boy into a gas chamber.

(A) is different in an important way.
(B) and (C) are identical in an important way/

Can you tell how?

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Judged:

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
According to the Nazi's they rejected the savior. that was their crime.
OK, you just made that up. What about the sick or disabled? What was their crime? The Gypsies? The Christians? All the other undesirables?

Level 6

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Judged:

Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
To me its pretty vile if God ordered a flood or destroyed Sodom and Gommorah, but there is one CRITICAL difference between those atrocities and the slaughter of the Midianites. Can you guess what it is?
Lets see if you can spot the moral difference between
(A) a typhoon sweeping away a 3 year old boy
(B) a religious zealot thrusting his sword into a three year old boy's neck
or for that matter
(C) an SS Guard herding a 3 year old boy into a gas chamber.
(A) is different in an important way.
(B) and (C) are identical in an important way/
Can you tell how?
I don't answer goofy question to people who have no idea what they are talking about. Chimney, it is clear that you are clueless about the Bible.

Level 6

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Judged:

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Except we don't have direct testimony of a single witness.
<quoted text>
Except most were written AFTER the events "prophesied". And many did not come true.
<quoted text>
Are you advocating having hallucinations?
<quoted text>
Wow. What history are YOU talking about. Human history is bloody and insane.
<quoted text>
One of the WORST excuses for a logical argument for Christianity that I have ever seen. Appalling, actually.
All ignorance and lies. Conversation over.

Level 6

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Judged:

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, he has always had good taste in music.
The admission he was wrong caught me so off guard that I had trouble taking him serious!
You guys gossip like little school girls.

Level 6

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Judged:

"Nazi policies divided the population into two categories, the Volksgenossen ("national comrades"), who belonged to the Volksgemeinschaft, and the Gemeinschaftsfremde ("community aliens"), who did not. Nazi policies about repression divided people into three types of enemies, the "racial" enemies such as the Jews and the Gypsies who were viewed as enemies because of their "blood"; political opponents such as Marxists, liberals, Christians and the "reactionaries" who were viewed as wayward "National Comrades"; and moral opponents such as homosexuals, the "work-shy" and habitual criminals, also seen as wayward "National Comrades".[53] The last two groups were to be sent to concentration camps for "re-education", with the aim of eventual absorption into the Volksgemeinschaft, though some of the moral opponents were to be sterilized, as they were regarded as "genetically inferior"."

So I ask again, what were their crimes???

Level 6

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
You guys gossip like little school girls.
Withdrawing my comment that you do have a sense of humor.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Urban Cowboy wrote:
"Nazi policies divided the population into two categories, the Volksgenossen ("national comrades"), who belonged to the Volksgemeinschaft, and the Gemeinschaftsfremde ("community aliens"), who did not. Nazi policies about repression divided people into three types of enemies, the "racial" enemies such as the Jews and the Gypsies who were viewed as enemies because of their "blood"; political opponents such as Marxists, liberals, Christians and the "reactionaries" who were viewed as wayward "National Comrades"; and moral opponents such as homosexuals, the "work-shy" and habitual criminals, also seen as wayward "National Comrades".[53] The last two groups were to be sent to concentration camps for "re-education", with the aim of eventual absorption into the Volksgemeinschaft, though some of the moral opponents were to be sterilized, as they were regarded as "genetically inferior"."
So I ask again, what were their crimes???
According to Martin Luther:
"They are our public enemies. They do not stop blaspheming our Lord Christ, calling the Virgin Mary a whore, Christ, a bastard, and us changelings or abortions (Mahlkälber:“meal calves”). If they could kill us all, they would gladly do it. They do it often, especially those who pose as physicians—though sometimes they help—for the devil helps to finish it in the end. They can also practice medicine as in French Switzerland. They administer poison to someone from which he could die in an hour, a month, a year, ten or twenty years. They are able to practice this art"

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Since: Jul 09

Minneapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

defender wrote:
<quoted text>
1) Well if the missing link idea as you put it is so out dated then why was Ida billed as the greatest thing since sliced bread? Oh this was it!!! Finally the missing link that shut us all up!!!... Lol...
2) Yes let's follow the evidence!! Not wild speculation from desperate lefties looking for funding...
3) Why do you stereotype all those who disagree with Darwinism in one group?... Plenty of atheist, Christian and others do not share in your view point...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwinius

The authors of the study of Ida, Jørn Hurum and Philip D. Gingerich, wanted to make a name for themselves. But most of the scientific community was in disagreement with their cliams.

from the above link:
Independent experts have raised concern about publicity exaggerating the importance of the find before information was available for scrutiny. Chris Beard, curator of the Carnegie Museum of Natural History, was "awestruck" by the publicity machine but concerned that if the hype was exaggerated, it could damage the popularisation of science if the creature was not all that it was hyped up to be.[4] Paleoanthropologist Elwyn Simons of Duke University stated that it is a wonderful specimen but most of the information had been previously known, and paleoanthropologist Peter Brown of the University of New England said that the paper had insufficient evidence that Darwinius was ancestral to the simians.[14] Others have also criticized claims that the fossil represents the "missing link in human evolution", arguing that there is no such thing unless evolution is visualized as a chain as there are an enormous number of missing branches, and that while the fossil is a primate, there is no evidence to suggest that its species is a direct ancestor of humans.[6][43] ScienceBlogger Brian Switek questioned the sensationalist coverage of claims of ancestral relationships made before a full cladistic analysis,[44] and in a column in The Times he stated that a unique opportunity to communicate science had been lost, with press releases forestalling the necessary discovery and debate which should now proceed.[45]"

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Minneapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

defender wrote:
<quoted text>
Why does it have to be God... Why not aliens?... You see it really doesn't matter what one believes its what we can prove ... Right?... Science cannot prove how life came to be on this planet without some kind of method we don't understand ... I cannot prove there is a God and you cannot prove otherwise... So there you have it...
Aliens probably make a little more sense than God. And natural chemestry of the universe seems just as likely as aliens. But the ToE doesn't have an answer for either. It is just concerned with what happens to actual living things, regardless of where living things came from.

Level 6

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Judged:

appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Aliens probably make a little more sense than God. And natural chemestry of the universe seems just as likely as aliens. But the ToE doesn't have an answer for either. It is just concerned with what happens to actual living things, regardless of where living things came from.
You guys speak from both sides of your mouth. At times you say evolution is all science and now you say it is restricted to actual living things. You don't think I see through your little charade? Also, it is dishonest to omit all opinion for origins. It is a huge cop-out.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Minneapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, primate. I don't know where my brain was when I wrote that. Obviously mammals have been around a LOT longer than that.
My apologies!
It's hard to keep your password safe from your evil twin. I intend to report my evil twin to the spelling police and other authorities associated with Topix-Homeland Security.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Minneapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Urban Cowboy wrote:
The energy source for the entire food chain/web (the Sun) is subject to the SLOT, and even those ecosystems that get their energy from the hydrothermal vents because the mechanism that causes those vents is weakening and deteriorating over time, just like everything else.
The development and growth of an organism is not an exception because it is already alive and just following the instructions as long as it continues to receive nourishment, ect.
During celluar replication, genetic mutations accumulate with each generation. Therefore, this arrow is one-way, toward increasing entropy, same as everywhere and everything else in the universe.
True. In five billion years everything we know will be toast.

Level 6

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Judged:

appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>
True. In five billion years everything we know will be toast.
Probably a lot sooner than that. Plus it shows macroevolution never happened.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Minneapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
It wouldn't matter. If the greater power is always justified, might is right.

Would you also agree that the sun god of the Mayans was justified in asking for human sacrifice?

Or maybe you should ask if any of such terrible gods actually existed in the first place.

“I have upset the hand of god”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

Threats pending

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Probably a lot sooner than that. Plus it shows macroevolution never happened.
What shows macroevolution never happened?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••