Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 | Posted by: Cash | Full story: www.scientificblogging.com

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Comments (Page 5,415)

Showing posts 108,281 - 108,300 of171,188
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

L.A.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
And the Nazi's weren't racist either. LOL! If you ever have the chance, visit the Smithsonian Holocaust Museum in DC. I believe it is on the Road right now. Boca Raton? There's a whole segment on dispaly about Darwinism. Look bub, I'm not saying you killed 6 million Jews, alright? So take it easy. But the Nazis absolutely unequivacably adopted Darwin's ideas and used it as an excuse. There's no other explanation.
http://speccoll.library.arizona.edu/exhibits/...

Go to the above link and scroll down to the following segment.

Original stuff here.
Guidelines for Die Bucherei 2:6,(1935), P 279

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Ras Al Khaimah, UAE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2012

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
They weren't selling Jews as slaves Chimney, they were applying Darwin's principles and sterilizing and exterminating them. Stop being an idiot.
Yes that never happened before Darwin.

In your precious Bible, God orders the genocide of the Midianites...not by God himself of course, but at the hand of the Hebrews. Just like the Germans. UC, these are MOTHERS and GRANDMOTHERS. Try to imagine them for a moment. Human beings every bit as real as the humans ordered into the gas chambers.

If you cannot see its the SAME damned thing, you are a fool.

And now you whine about somebody else doing it...

At least I am consistent. Mass slaughter is vile, and anybody who orders it, whether God or Hitler, the most vile of all creatures. Midianites by Jews, Jew by Germans, Landlords by Maoists, its all the same MADNESS caused by people's willingness to be indoctrinated into cultish thinking.

And that definitely includes YOU.

Darwin's theory of origins does NOT demand mass killing, in fact he is very clear that its NATURE, not HUMANS that selects fitness, and he even shudders at the cruelty of this, he does not love it...whereas your Bible definitely demands mass killing.

And you have the temerity to claim that only after Darwin and due to Darwin, did such ideas enter men's heads. Man, that is both stupid and hypocritical.

At this particular moment, I actually feel open hatred towards you. I am sure it will pass.

Level 6

Ras Al Khaimah, UAE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
You can make up anything you like. IDA was a small but important breakthrough.
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>You are very misinformed. IDA was not a cat. It was the forerunner of modern mammals. The lineage of major taxonomic groups is well known and based on modern genetics as much or more than the fossil record. The fact that genetics and the fossil record agree completely should be a concern to you and other reality deniers.
No, Ida was a primitive primate, not the forerunner of all mammals.

She may have been the forerunner or related to the forerunner of later primates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwinius

I know Ida quite well from reading a horribly overblown book about her written by some hack journalist whose knowledge of evolution was obviously superficial. I don't recommend it...cannot even remember its name. Maybe "The Missing Link" or some such.

Level 6

Ras Al Khaimah, UAE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

After ordering the total slaughter of the Midianites...

Numbers 31: 13-18

13 Moses and Eleazar the priest and all the leaders of the congregation went out to meet them outside the camp.

14 Moses was angry with the officers of the army, the captains of thousands and the captains of hundreds, who had come from service in the war.

15 And Moses said to them,“Have you spared all the women?

16 Behold, these caused the sons of Israel, through the counsel of Balaam, to trespass against the Lord in the matter of Peor, so the plague was among the congregation of the Lord.

17 Now therefore, kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman who has known man intimately.

18 But all the girls who have not known man intimately,spare for yourselves.

So this the the "Good Lord" and Hitler's inspiration was Darwin?????

Yeah Right.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Judged:

defender wrote:
<quoted text>
Why does it have to be God... Why not aliens?... You see it really doesn't matter what one believes its what we can prove ... Right?... Science cannot prove how life came to be on this planet without some kind of method we don't understand ... I cannot prove there is a God and you cannot prove otherwise... So there you have it...

You proceed from a false presumption. Science has a pretty good idea of how life formed on this planet and activist sky pixies of either alien or divine stripe are not necessary for this process. What is necessary are the right chemistry being available.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Judged:

Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, Ida was a primitive primate, not the forerunner of all mammals.
She may have been the forerunner or related to the forerunner of later primates.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwinius
I know Ida quite well from reading a horribly overblown book about her written by some hack journalist whose knowledge of evolution was obviously superficial. I don't recommend it...cannot even remember its name. Maybe "The Missing Link" or some such.

Yes, primate. I don't know where my brain was when I wrote that. Obviously mammals have been around a LOT longer than that.

My apologies!

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
No problem. When you said that it was artificial selection, that's what clicked, and I changed my mind.
Ah! Ok, then.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Mike, I am agreeing with you. And showing you complements. There is nothing else to it.
Holy crap the world must be about to end. Urb not only has good taste in music, but he openly admitted that he was wrong. And both happened within minutes of each other.

Perhaps the Mayans were right.

Level 8

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

defender wrote:
<quoted text>
Why does it have to be God... Why not aliens?...
That just pushes the problem back a level. Where did the aliens come from?
defender wrote:
You see it really doesn't matter what one believes its what we can prove ... Right?...
Agreed.
defender wrote:
Science cannot prove how life came to be on this planet without some kind of method we don't understand ...
Yet.
defender wrote:
I cannot prove there is a God and you cannot prove otherwise... So there you have it...
I though you just said "it really doesn't matter what one believes its what we can prove"? A rather rapid change of position.

If you make the claim of a god, it is up to *YOU* to prove it. You don't to do so but you cannot demand others disprove what you have yet to prove. Or given even the slightest evidence for.

Level 8

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Holy crap the world must be about to end. Urb not only has good taste in music, but he openly admitted that he was wrong. And both happened within minutes of each other.
This just in! Hell froze over! Full report at 11.

:-)

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Judged:

Chimney1 wrote:
After ordering the total slaughter of the Midianites...
Numbers 31: 13-18
13 Moses and Eleazar the priest and all the leaders of the congregation went out to meet them outside the camp.
14 Moses was angry with the officers of the army, the captains of thousands and the captains of hundreds, who had come from service in the war.
15 And Moses said to them,“Have you spared all the women?
16 Behold, these caused the sons of Israel, through the counsel of Balaam, to trespass against the Lord in the matter of Peor, so the plague was among the congregation of the Lord.
17 Now therefore, kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman who has known man intimately.
18 But all the girls who have not known man intimately,spare for yourselves.
So this the the "Good Lord" and Hitler's inspiration was Darwin?????
Yeah Right.
The two events have nothing to do with each other. How can you compare God's judgement on his enemies with Hitler exterminating Jews? What laws did the Holocaust victims break? What was their crime? You really shouldn't raise issues you know nothing about.

Level 6

Ras Al Khaimah, UAE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Judged:

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
The two events have nothing to do with each other. How can you compare God's judgement on his enemies with Hitler exterminating Jews? What laws did the Holocaust victims break? What was their crime? You really shouldn't raise issues you know nothing about.
what UTTER crap!

Kill every Midianite, the women, the male children. What laws did a three year old Midianite boy break? Stole a cookie did he?

What part of the word Genocide don't you understand you idiot?

Level 6

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
That just pushes the problem back a level. Where did the aliens come from?
<quoted text>
Agreed.
<quoted text>
Yet.
<quoted text>
I though you just said "it really doesn't matter what one believes its what we can prove"? A rather rapid change of position.
If you make the claim of a god, it is up to *YOU* to prove it. You don't to do so but you cannot demand others disprove what you have yet to prove. Or given even the slightest evidence for.
Jesus already proved it. You don't expect Him to prove it to every generation do you? It would be reasonable to accept the testimonies of the evangelists who witnessed it; to come to an understanding of the many prophesies fullfilled; to study science and see the ID and fine tuning; to study history and see God's hand in it. All of this and more combined should be enough so that there is no excuse.

Level 6

Ras Al Khaimah, UAE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Judged:

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, temper that with the fact that Urban Cowboy thinks that Hitler's Genocide was despicable and inspired by Darwin,

but Moses' Genocide of the Midianites was righteous and just because God supposedly ordered it.(If so, both God and Moses are monsters, and if not, then just Moses is a monster)

The moral of the story is, if Urban Cowboy ever had an innate moral sense, its been trampled all over in a way only a Cult can achieve.
Elohim

Branford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Judged:

thewordofme wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why did Hitler ban all books about evolution and anti-religion. Look it up.
Look it up? Facts have no meaning to the radical anti-science, anti-intellectual fundie creationismist.

Level 6

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Judged:

The energy source for the entire food chain/web (the Sun) is subject to the SLOT, and even those ecosystems that get their energy from the hydrothermal vents because the mechanism that causes those vents is weakening and deteriorating over time, just like everything else.

The development and growth of an organism is not an exception because it is already alive and just following the instructions as long as it continues to receive nourishment, ect.

During celluar replication, genetic mutations accumulate with each generation. Therefore, this arrow is one-way, toward increasing entropy, same as everywhere and everything else in the universe.

Level 6

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Judged:

Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
what UTTER crap!
Kill every Midianite, the women, the male children. What laws did a three year old Midianite boy break? Stole a cookie did he?
What part of the word Genocide don't you understand you idiot?
They continually disobeyed God and were even worse than Sodom and Gommorah. God also destroyed the whole world. He created, He makes the rules, and He is very, very patient but at some they needed to be wiped out. So I ask you again, what were the Jews crimes?

Level 8

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus already proved it. You don't expect Him to prove it to every generation do you? It would be reasonable to accept the testimonies of the evangelists who witnessed it; to come to an understanding of the many prophesies fullfilled; to study science and see the ID and fine tuning; to study history and see God's hand in it. All of this and more combined should be enough so that there is no excuse.
For you, it is. For me, it is not.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>

Actually, he has always had good taste in music.

The admission he was wrong caught me so off guard that I had trouble taking him serious!

Level 8

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
They continually disobeyed God and were even worse than Sodom and Gommorah. God also destroyed the whole world. He created, He makes the rules, and He is very, very patient but at some they needed to be wiped out.
Especially those damn babies. They're real trouble, I tell you.
Urban Cowboy wrote:
So I ask you again, what were the Jews crimes?
Not that I'm buying in to it but didn't they kill god's only begotten son?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 108,281 - 108,300 of171,188
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••