Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 179706 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Since: Jul 09

Minneapolis

#111170 Dec 6, 2012
defender wrote:
<quoted text>
1) Well if the missing link idea as you put it is so out dated then why was Ida billed as the greatest thing since sliced bread? Oh this was it!!! Finally the missing link that shut us all up!!!... Lol...
2) Yes let's follow the evidence!! Not wild speculation from desperate lefties looking for funding...
3) Why do you stereotype all those who disagree with Darwinism in one group?... Plenty of atheist, Christian and others do not share in your view point...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwinius

The authors of the study of Ida, Jørn Hurum and Philip D. Gingerich, wanted to make a name for themselves. But most of the scientific community was in disagreement with their cliams.

from the above link:
Independent experts have raised concern about publicity exaggerating the importance of the find before information was available for scrutiny. Chris Beard, curator of the Carnegie Museum of Natural History, was "awestruck" by the publicity machine but concerned that if the hype was exaggerated, it could damage the popularisation of science if the creature was not all that it was hyped up to be.[4] Paleoanthropologist Elwyn Simons of Duke University stated that it is a wonderful specimen but most of the information had been previously known, and paleoanthropologist Peter Brown of the University of New England said that the paper had insufficient evidence that Darwinius was ancestral to the simians.[14] Others have also criticized claims that the fossil represents the "missing link in human evolution", arguing that there is no such thing unless evolution is visualized as a chain as there are an enormous number of missing branches, and that while the fossil is a primate, there is no evidence to suggest that its species is a direct ancestor of humans.[6][43] ScienceBlogger Brian Switek questioned the sensationalist coverage of claims of ancestral relationships made before a full cladistic analysis,[44] and in a column in The Times he stated that a unique opportunity to communicate science had been lost, with press releases forestalling the necessary discovery and debate which should now proceed.[45]"

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Minneapolis

#111171 Dec 6, 2012
defender wrote:
<quoted text>
Why does it have to be God... Why not aliens?... You see it really doesn't matter what one believes its what we can prove ... Right?... Science cannot prove how life came to be on this planet without some kind of method we don't understand ... I cannot prove there is a God and you cannot prove otherwise... So there you have it...
Aliens probably make a little more sense than God. And natural chemestry of the universe seems just as likely as aliens. But the ToE doesn't have an answer for either. It is just concerned with what happens to actual living things, regardless of where living things came from.
Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Miami, FL

#111172 Dec 6, 2012
appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Aliens probably make a little more sense than God. And natural chemestry of the universe seems just as likely as aliens. But the ToE doesn't have an answer for either. It is just concerned with what happens to actual living things, regardless of where living things came from.
You guys speak from both sides of your mouth. At times you say evolution is all science and now you say it is restricted to actual living things. You don't think I see through your little charade? Also, it is dishonest to omit all opinion for origins. It is a huge cop-out.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Minneapolis

#111173 Dec 6, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, primate. I don't know where my brain was when I wrote that. Obviously mammals have been around a LOT longer than that.
My apologies!
It's hard to keep your password safe from your evil twin. I intend to report my evil twin to the spelling police and other authorities associated with Topix-Homeland Security.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Minneapolis

#111174 Dec 6, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
The energy source for the entire food chain/web (the Sun) is subject to the SLOT, and even those ecosystems that get their energy from the hydrothermal vents because the mechanism that causes those vents is weakening and deteriorating over time, just like everything else.
The development and growth of an organism is not an exception because it is already alive and just following the instructions as long as it continues to receive nourishment, ect.
During celluar replication, genetic mutations accumulate with each generation. Therefore, this arrow is one-way, toward increasing entropy, same as everywhere and everything else in the universe.
True. In five billion years everything we know will be toast.
Level 6

Miami, FL

#111175 Dec 6, 2012
appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>
True. In five billion years everything we know will be toast.
Probably a lot sooner than that. Plus it shows macroevolution never happened.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Minneapolis

#111176 Dec 6, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
They continually disobeyed God and were even worse than Sodom and Gommorah. God also destroyed the whole world. He created, He makes the rules, and He is very, very patient but at some they needed to be wiped out. So I ask you again, what were the Jews crimes?
It wouldn't matter. If the greater power is always justified, might is right.

Would you also agree that the sun god of the Mayans was justified in asking for human sacrifice?

Or maybe you should ask if any of such terrible gods actually existed in the first place.

“Help religion science wander”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

into the night.

#111177 Dec 6, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Probably a lot sooner than that. Plus it shows macroevolution never happened.
What shows macroevolution never happened?

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#111178 Dec 6, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
You guys speak from both sides of your mouth. At times you say evolution is all science and now you say it is restricted to actual living things.
No one has said otherwise.
Urban Cowboy wrote:
You don't think I see through your little charade?
No charade, Urb. That's just your over active imagination.
Urban Cowboy wrote:
Also, it is dishonest to omit all opinion for origins.
Opinions on the matter have never been omitted. But when they are discussed, we have stepped outside of the boundaries of ToE.
Urban Cowboy wrote:
It is a huge cop-out.
Nope. It is not.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#111179 Dec 6, 2012
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>What shows macroevolution never happened?
Urb's excellent creationist journals. And his bible, of course.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#111180 Dec 6, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus already proved it.
According to stories told by people with a vested interest in the deification of their charismatic leader. Hardly what I'd call compelling evidence. By that standard, Kim Jong Il was also divine.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Minneapolis

#111181 Dec 6, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
"Nazi policies divided the population into two categories, the Volksgenossen ("national comrades"), who belonged to the Volksgemeinschaft, and the Gemeinschaftsfremde ("community aliens"), who did not. Nazi policies about repression divided people into three types of enemies, the "racial" enemies such as the Jews and the Gypsies who were viewed as enemies because of their "blood"; political opponents such as Marxists, liberals, Christians and the "reactionaries" who were viewed as wayward "National Comrades"; and moral opponents such as homosexuals, the "work-shy" and habitual criminals, also seen as wayward "National Comrades".[53] The last two groups were to be sent to concentration camps for "re-education", with the aim of eventual absorption into the Volksgemeinschaft, though some of the moral opponents were to be sterilized, as they were regarded as "genetically inferior"."
So I ask again, what were their crimes???
Their crimes were no different than the crimes of the mythological populations supposedly killed by god.

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#111182 Dec 6, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't answer goofy question to people who have no idea what they are talking about.
But, we answer YOUR questions all the time!

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#111183 Dec 6, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
"Nazi policies divided the population into two categories, the Volksgenossen ("national comrades"), who belonged to the Volksgemeinschaft, and the Gemeinschaftsfremde ("community aliens"), who did not. Nazi policies about repression divided people into three types of enemies, the "racial" enemies such as the Jews and the Gypsies who were viewed as enemies because of their "blood"; political opponents such as Marxists, liberals, Christians and the "reactionaries" who were viewed as wayward "National Comrades"; and moral opponents such as homosexuals, the "work-shy" and habitual criminals, also seen as wayward "National Comrades".[53] The last two groups were to be sent to concentration camps for "re-education", with the aim of eventual absorption into the Volksgemeinschaft, though some of the moral opponents were to be sterilized, as they were regarded as "genetically inferior"."
So I ask again, what were their crimes???
Hutus and Tutsis. What were the Tutsis' crimes?
Level 6

Miami, FL

#111184 Dec 6, 2012
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>What shows macroevolution never happened?
The energy source (The Sun) for the entire food chain/web (producers-consumers-decompose rs) is subject to the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics, as well as those ecosystems that get their energy from hydrothermal vents, because the geological mechanism, i.e., friction, that causes those vents is also weakening and deteriorating over time, just like everything else.

The development and growth of an organism is not an exception because the organism is already alive - and obeys the law: life only comes from life - and its biological mechanisms are just following the genetically coded instructions, as this will continue as long as it lives and continues with healthy celluar respiration and reproduces and continues to receive proper sunlight, water, nourishment, ect.

However, when the organism reproduces and during cellular replication, genetic mutations occur and accumulate with each generation.(For humans, the rate is about 60 new muatations per generation) Therefore, this time arrow is a one-way, dead-end street toward increased entropy and eventual genetic meltdown, the same as it is everywhere and with everything else in the universe.

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#111185 Dec 6, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
You guys speak from both sides of your mouth. At times you say evolution is all science and now you say it is restricted to actual living things. You don't think I see through your little charade? Also, it is dishonest to omit all opinion for origins. It is a huge cop-out.
Biological evolution, the kind of evolution that the theory of evolution explains, DOES only pertain to living things. What else COULD it pertain to?
Level 6

Miami, FL

#111186 Dec 6, 2012
appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Their crimes were no different than the crimes of the mythological populations supposedly killed by god.
Completely different situation. This is like comparing a court ordered execution to a criminal homicide.
Level 6

Miami, FL

#111187 Dec 6, 2012
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Hutus and Tutsis. What were the Tutsis' crimes?
Exactly.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Minneapolis

#111188 Dec 6, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
I think opinions are ok. I have some wierd opinions of my own. But science has to stick with the evidence.

One of my favorite opinions is that maybe "life" was one of the dimensions of the original singularity our universe came from. Seems to me to be just as likely as anything else. But sorry, no evidence.
Level 6

Miami, FL

#111189 Dec 6, 2012
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Biological evolution, the kind of evolution that the theory of evolution explains, DOES only pertain to living things. What else COULD it pertain to?
Good. YOu might want to mention that to your buddies when they declare jurisdiction over all the sciences.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 32 min Rosa_Winkel 18,449
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 41 min Aura Mytha 204,712
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 43 min Chimney1 43,083
can anyone explain to me why humans are the onl... (Mar '08) 2 hr Bob of Quantum-Faith 900
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 3 hr Kenedy njoroge 151,450
Sun could not have formed as thought 10 hr Tired of YOU 7
Current Education And Its Huge Flaws Mon Bren 1
More from around the web