Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 Full story: www.scientificblogging.com 173,718

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand." Full Story
defender

London, KY

#111118 Dec 5, 2012
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, so there IS a hard border to evolution. Great. Just demonstrate this, and claim your Nobel Prize.
It is the evolutionist that claims spices change into completely different creatures... Without any proof mind you... So I get the Nobel Prize for that statement?... Cool...

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Indianapolis, IN

#111119 Dec 5, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Mike, I am agreeing with you. And showing you complements. There is nothing else to it.
Then why did you appear to be taking the opposite position?

Level 8

Indianapolis, IN

#111120 Dec 5, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
A moment of silence for American Jazz Great, Dave Brubeck.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =vmDDOFXSgAsXX
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
On this, I can with no reservations agree with you.
Without question. Sad day.

Level 8

Indianapolis, IN

#111121 Dec 5, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Mike, I am agreeing with you. And showing you complements. There is nothing else to it.
And if I misunderstood you, I apologize.

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#111122 Dec 5, 2012
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
And if I misunderstood you, I apologize.
No problem. When you said that it was artificial selection, that's what clicked, and I changed my mind.
defender

London, KY

#111123 Dec 5, 2012
appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>(1) The "missing link" is an idea that has been out of date for a very long time. Only creationists hang on to the term. Why do you do this?

(2) There's no reason to propose a different ancestory for the Miacidae. If modern cats and dogs had some characteristics associated with slugs or ancient crawfish, then it would be reasonable to make that connection, but of course that connection cannot be made. You have to follow the evidence.

The ToE recognizes that successful adaptations tend to be conserved and are passed on to future generations, and are modified in one form or another across species and genre. So that is why we can see common ancestry from fish to humans in parts of the structure.(vertabrate, and bones of the arm--one bone in the upper arm, followed by two bones, followed by five bones.)

In previous branches we can identify what DID happen, but in future branches you might have a point in saying that "anything goes" because there's no way to determine what modifications will follow, other than that those modifications will be built upon previous modifications.
1) Well if the missing link idea as you put it is so out dated then why was Ida billed as the greatest thing since sliced bread? Oh this was it!!! Finally the missing link that shut us all up!!!... Lol...

2) Yes let's follow the evidence!! Not wild speculation from desperate lefties looking for funding...

3) Why do you stereotype all those who disagree with Darwinism in one group?... Plenty of atheist, Christian and others do not share in your view point...
defender

London, KY

#111124 Dec 5, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>You are very misinformed. IDA was not a cat. It was the forerunner of modern mammals. The lineage of major taxonomic groups is well known and based on modern genetics as much or more than the fossil record. The fact that genetics and the fossil record agree completely should be a concern to you and other reality deniers.
Spin doctor all you wish... The whole Ida farce was an huge embarrassment... But hey whatever you say...

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#111125 Dec 5, 2012
defender wrote:
<quoted text>
1) Well if the missing link idea as you put it is so out dated then why was Ida billed as the greatest thing since sliced bread? Oh this was it!!! Finally the missing link that shut us all up!!!... Lol...
2) Yes let's follow the evidence!! Not wild speculation from desperate lefties looking for funding...
3) Why do you stereotype all those who disagree with Darwinism in one group?... Plenty of atheist, Christian and others do not share in your view point...
Where is the evidence for your god?

You cannot believe in creationism unless you also have a god delusion, and evolution is a phenomenon, the evidence is what pointed to the theory of evolution, the theory didn't come before the phenomenon, that is impossible as a theory is a description of a phenomenon. Evolution happens, we witnessed it in viruses and bacteria long before we even knew what to call it.
Mugwump

Bradford, UK

#111126 Dec 5, 2012
defender wrote:
<quoted text>
/QUOTE]

[QUOTE who="defender"]<q uoted text>
3) Why do you stereotype all those who disagree with Darwinism in one group?......
Visit the following website.

Www.ironymetersforsale.com

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#111127 Dec 5, 2012
defender wrote:
<quoted text>

Science is not a point of view. It is driven only by the data and adherence to the scientific method. Are mistakes possible? Yes, but they are usually very quickly corrected.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#111128 Dec 5, 2012
defender wrote:
<quoted text>
Spin doctor all you wish... The whole Ida farce was an huge embarrassment... But hey whatever you say...

You can make up anything you like. IDA was a small but important breakthrough.

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>You are very misinformed. IDA was not a cat. It was the forerunner of modern mammals. The lineage of major taxonomic groups is well known and based on modern genetics as much or more than the fossil record. The fact that genetics and the fossil record agree completely should be a concern to you and other reality deniers.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#111129 Dec 5, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
A moment of silence for American Jazz Great, Dave Brubeck.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =vmDDOFXSgAsXX
I agree with everyone else. A sad day, a fantastic tune. I will have to play a few of his better songs today, but you can't beat this one.

Urb you finally knocked one out of the park.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#111130 Dec 5, 2012
defender wrote:
<quoted text>
Very, very, very few atheists do not believe the theory of evolution. Now some don't care. They work only on the knowledge that the Existence of God is very unbelievable. And once again, evolution is not a left wing idea. If you think that the right is right then you should believe that it is a right wing idea because it is the correct one.
defender

London, KY

#111131 Dec 5, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>Where is the evidence for your god?

You cannot believe in creationism unless you also have a god delusion, and evolution is a phenomenon, the evidence is what pointed to the theory of evolution, the theory didn't come before the phenomenon, that is impossible as a theory is a description of a phenomenon. Evolution happens, we witnessed it in viruses and bacteria long before we even knew what to call it.
Why does it have to be God... Why not aliens?... You see it really doesn't matter what one believes its what we can prove ... Right?... Science cannot prove how life came to be on this planet without some kind of method we don't understand ... I cannot prove there is a God and you cannot prove otherwise... So there you have it...

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Bay of Fundy

#111132 Dec 5, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
And the Nazi's weren't racist either. LOL! If you ever have the chance, visit the Smithsonian Holocaust Museum in DC. I believe it is on the Road right now. Boca Raton? There's a whole segment on dispaly about Darwinism. Look bub, I'm not saying you killed 6 million Jews, alright? So take it easy. But the Nazis absolutely unequivacably adopted Darwin's ideas and used it as an excuse. There's no other explanation.
Then why did Hitler ban all books about evolution and anti-religion. Look it up.
LowellGuy

Peabody, MA

#111133 Dec 5, 2012
defender wrote:
<quoted text>
Why does it have to be God... Why not aliens?... You see it really doesn't matter what one believes its what we can prove ... Right?... Science cannot prove how life came to be on this planet without some kind of method we don't understand ... I cannot prove there is a God and you cannot prove otherwise... So there you have it...
Evolution has nothing to do with how life came to be, any more than how carbon came to be has anything to do with diamond formation.
LowellGuy

Peabody, MA

#111134 Dec 5, 2012
defender wrote:
<quoted text>
It is the evolutionist that claims spices change into completely different creatures... Without any proof mind you... So I get the Nobel Prize for that statement?... Cool...
I guarantee that not a single "evolutionist" has ever claimed that any spices could evolve into different creatures.

You say there is a hard border for evolution. You made. The claim; you have to back it up with evidence.
LowellGuy

Peabody, MA

#111135 Dec 5, 2012
defender wrote:
<quoted text>
The people who found Ida over-hyped their find. And, who brought them back down to Earth? The scientific community. In DAYS after publication. That's the self-correcting nature of science.
LowellGuy

Peabody, MA

#111136 Dec 5, 2012
defender wrote:
<quoted text>
Aaaand, YOU stereotype everybody who understands and accepts the theory of evolution as leftists. Hypocrite.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Bay of Fundy

#111137 Dec 5, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
And the Nazi's weren't racist either. LOL! If you ever have the chance, visit the Smithsonian Holocaust Museum in DC. I believe it is on the Road right now. Boca Raton? There's a whole segment on dispaly about Darwinism. Look bub, I'm not saying you killed 6 million Jews, alright? So take it easy. But the Nazis absolutely unequivacably adopted Darwin's ideas and used it as an excuse. There's no other explanation.
http://speccoll.library.arizona.edu/exhibits/...

Go to the above link and scroll down to the following segment.

Original stuff here.
Guidelines for Die Bucherei 2:6,(1935), P 279

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 1 hr reporterreport 116,642
New review critical of "Origins" 9 hr DanFromSmithville 17
The Satanic Character of Social Darwinism 12 hr Dogen 514
Need clarification on evolution 12 hr DanFromSmithville 5
It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) Thu Chimney1 137,094
Can the universe be God's brain? (Jun '07) Wed Kong_ 62
There is no scientific evidence whatsoever for ... Wed thewordofme 166
•••

Evolution Debate People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••