Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 Full story: www.scientificblogging.com 176,193

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand." Full Story

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#111108 Dec 5, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Glad you finally agree. Thanks!

So you are saying Mendel was to blame? Obviously not since artificial selection goes back to the Romans who practiced it on a wide scale. It was, with little doubt, known even before that.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#111109 Dec 5, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
So why don't you try to re-write history and change the Wiki article yourself? LOL! Good luck with that!
So do you still not understand that the article misused that word? probably not. Wiki is a very good general source. It still usually has more than one mistake per article, for encyclopedias this is actually a good thing. I have no intent to nitpick a Wiki article even if it is abused by creatards.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Since: Jul 09

Minneapolis

#111110 Dec 5, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
They weren't selling Jews as slaves Chimney, they were applying Darwin's principles and sterilizing and exterminating them. Stop being an idiot.
So, you are arguing that, if not for Darwin, cheetahs would be much nicer to antelopes?

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#111111 Dec 5, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
For one thing, it's difficult to tell if you are joking so I'll just say "okay, cool." But the more important thing is that I highly doubt you work there, very unlikely, as you don't even know that PCB design is dependent on evolutionary algorithms devised based on the ToE, which any tech would know. Without these algorithms phones would still be able to text, but that's all.
Please, continue...

Level 6

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#111112 Dec 5, 2012
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
You're the idiot, bub. Darwin explained evolution and NATURAL selection. The Nazis used artificial selection. Big difference.
You are right. Good job Mike!

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Indianapolis, IN

#111113 Dec 5, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Glad you finally agree. Thanks!
What? I haven't agreed with you, numbnutz. Are you developing a brain tumor or something? I told you that you were wrong several times. Including this time.
MikeF wrote:
Wrong. They espoused selective breeding (and genocide). Much, much older than Darwin's theory.
I know your last name is not Ryan but...

Level 8

Indianapolis, IN

#111114 Dec 5, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
You are right. Good job Mike!
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
They weren't selling Jews as slaves Chimney, they were applying Darwin's principles and sterilizing and exterminating them. Stop being an idiot.
You're losing it, John Boy. You can't even remember which side of the argument you're on.

Level 6

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#111115 Dec 5, 2012
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
You're losing it, John Boy. You can't even remember which side of the argument you're on.
Mike, I am agreeing with you. And showing you complements. There is nothing else to it.

Level 6

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#111116 Dec 5, 2012
A moment of silence for American Jazz Great, Dave Brubeck.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#111117 Dec 5, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =vmDDOFXSgAsXX
On this, I can with no reservations agree with you.
defender

London, KY

#111118 Dec 5, 2012
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, so there IS a hard border to evolution. Great. Just demonstrate this, and claim your Nobel Prize.
It is the evolutionist that claims spices change into completely different creatures... Without any proof mind you... So I get the Nobel Prize for that statement?... Cool...

Level 8

Indianapolis, IN

#111119 Dec 5, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Mike, I am agreeing with you. And showing you complements. There is nothing else to it.
Then why did you appear to be taking the opposite position?

Level 8

Indianapolis, IN

#111120 Dec 5, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =vmDDOFXSgAsXX
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
On this, I can with no reservations agree with you.
Without question. Sad day.

Level 8

Indianapolis, IN

#111121 Dec 5, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
And if I misunderstood you, I apologize.

Level 6

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#111122 Dec 5, 2012
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
And if I misunderstood you, I apologize.
No problem. When you said that it was artificial selection, that's what clicked, and I changed my mind.
defender

London, KY

#111123 Dec 5, 2012
appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>(1) The "missing link" is an idea that has been out of date for a very long time. Only creationists hang on to the term. Why do you do this?

(2) There's no reason to propose a different ancestory for the Miacidae. If modern cats and dogs had some characteristics associated with slugs or ancient crawfish, then it would be reasonable to make that connection, but of course that connection cannot be made. You have to follow the evidence.

The ToE recognizes that successful adaptations tend to be conserved and are passed on to future generations, and are modified in one form or another across species and genre. So that is why we can see common ancestry from fish to humans in parts of the structure.(vertabrate, and bones of the arm--one bone in the upper arm, followed by two bones, followed by five bones.)

In previous branches we can identify what DID happen, but in future branches you might have a point in saying that "anything goes" because there's no way to determine what modifications will follow, other than that those modifications will be built upon previous modifications.
1) Well if the missing link idea as you put it is so out dated then why was Ida billed as the greatest thing since sliced bread? Oh this was it!!! Finally the missing link that shut us all up!!!... Lol...

2) Yes let's follow the evidence!! Not wild speculation from desperate lefties looking for funding...

3) Why do you stereotype all those who disagree with Darwinism in one group?... Plenty of atheist, Christian and others do not share in your view point...
defender

London, KY

#111124 Dec 5, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>You are very misinformed. IDA was not a cat. It was the forerunner of modern mammals. The lineage of major taxonomic groups is well known and based on modern genetics as much or more than the fossil record. The fact that genetics and the fossil record agree completely should be a concern to you and other reality deniers.
Spin doctor all you wish... The whole Ida farce was an huge embarrassment... But hey whatever you say...

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#111125 Dec 5, 2012
defender wrote:
<quoted text>
1) Well if the missing link idea as you put it is so out dated then why was Ida billed as the greatest thing since sliced bread? Oh this was it!!! Finally the missing link that shut us all up!!!... Lol...
2) Yes let's follow the evidence!! Not wild speculation from desperate lefties looking for funding...
3) Why do you stereotype all those who disagree with Darwinism in one group?... Plenty of atheist, Christian and others do not share in your view point...
Where is the evidence for your god?

You cannot believe in creationism unless you also have a god delusion, and evolution is a phenomenon, the evidence is what pointed to the theory of evolution, the theory didn't come before the phenomenon, that is impossible as a theory is a description of a phenomenon. Evolution happens, we witnessed it in viruses and bacteria long before we even knew what to call it.
Mugwump

Bradford, UK

#111126 Dec 5, 2012
defender wrote:
<quoted text>
/QUOTE]

[QUOTE who="defender"]<q uoted text>
3) Why do you stereotype all those who disagree with Darwinism in one group?......
Visit the following website.

Www.ironymetersforsale.com

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#111127 Dec 5, 2012
defender wrote:
<quoted text>

Science is not a point of view. It is driven only by the data and adherence to the scientific method. Are mistakes possible? Yes, but they are usually very quickly corrected.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 9 min Chilli J 141,785
"Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 hr Thinking 14,498
Science News (Sep '13) 5 hr Ricky F 2,961
Darwin on the rocks 6 hr The Dude 827
Why Are There No Transitional Animals Today? (Mar '09) 6 hr ChristineM 780
The conditions necessary for homo sapiens to sp... 16 hr NoahLovesU 5
Posting for Points in the Evolution Forum (Oct '11) Sun -TheExam- 13,957
More from around the web