Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 Full story: www.scientificblogging.com 174,462

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand." Full Story

“That's just MY opinion...”

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#111098 Dec 5, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
"At the same time a racist, social Darwinist, and eugenicist world-view which declared some people to be more biologically valuable than others was common."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Holocaust
Oh, Gee! You have an unattributed quotation. How convincing.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#111099 Dec 5, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
"At the same time a racist, social Darwinist, and eugenicist world-view which declared some people to be more biologically valuable than others was common."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Holocaust

You make my point. Social Darwinism is a perversion of what Darwin taught and believed.

The only think Darwin would have agree about in Social Darwinism is that they spelled his name right.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#111100 Dec 5, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you???

Of course the Nazi's actively claimed to be Christian and they did NOT burn bibles.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#111101 Dec 5, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, if you would learn something about creation science you would know that we believe fossils to form only under certain conditions such as being rapidly buried in mud from a catastrophic event such as a world wide flood. But certainly you don't get fossils from animals gradually over time by just dying and laying exposed to the sun, wind, rain, scavengers, or decomposers.

Yet we find absolutely no evidence of either a global flood NOR do we find evidence of an large layers where all life forms are intermixed.

You think "evolutionists" think animals get fossilized by laying out in the elements? SERIOUSLY?

Don't try to decrease our opinion of you. It is just not possible.
Mugwump

Bradford, UK

#111102 Dec 5, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Or some yahoo with a backhoe dug up a cable.
Actually I do recall this happening in a way, I vaguely remember a story some years back where one of the major trunks beneath the Atlantic (I think) was severed by some drilling activity and cut of a whole country for some time..

Apparently it was awful , the nationals had to start reading books.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#111103 Dec 5, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
They weren't selling Jews as slaves Chimney, they were applying Darwin's principles and sterilizing and exterminating them. Stop being an idiot.
You're the one that needs to stop being an idiot, he made no mention of what you assert he said, none. Or are you using that "interpretation" crap again, here's a clue, reality doesn't work that way.

He was basing the genocide on the bible, and using it as a method of justifying it, especially to all the soldiers, you know, the ones that actually did the horrible things. In reality, what Adolf believed is not even important, it's what the people who did what he told them to believed, and they were, and the ones still alive are, all christian, not atheists.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#111104 Dec 5, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
It was a joke Kitten! I happen to work with the largest IT installation in the world. The Terremark NAP of the Americas. Maybe you've heard of it?
http://www.terremark.com/data-centers/america...
For one thing, it's difficult to tell if you are joking so I'll just say "okay, cool." But the more important thing is that I highly doubt you work there, very unlikely, as you don't even know that PCB design is dependent on evolutionary algorithms devised based on the ToE, which any tech would know. Without these algorithms phones would still be able to text, but that's all.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#111105 Dec 5, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
They weren't selling Jews as slaves Chimney, they were applying Darwin's principles and sterilizing and exterminating them. Stop being an idiot.

This is a lie. Apparently you are completely unfamiliar with Darwin. Stop being an idiot.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#111106 Dec 5, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>

Incorrect

"Opponents of evolution theory have often maintained that social Darwinism is a logical entailment of a belief in evolutionary theory, while biologists and historians maintain that it is rather a perversion of Charles Darwin's ideas.[7] While most scholars recognize historical links between Darwin's theory and forms of social Darwinism, they also maintain that social Darwinism is not a necessary consequence of the principles of biological evolution[8] and that using biological evolution as a justification for policies of inequality amounts to committing the naturalistic fallacy."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Darwinism

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#111107 Dec 5, 2012
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
You're the idiot, bub. Darwin explained evolution and NATURAL selection. The Nazis used artificial selection. Big difference.

You have hit the nail on the head.

Darwin PURPOSELY used the term NATURAL selection as a contrast to artificial selection which was already known. The Nazi's were attempting to use ARTIFICIAL selection, as you noted.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#111108 Dec 5, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Glad you finally agree. Thanks!

So you are saying Mendel was to blame? Obviously not since artificial selection goes back to the Romans who practiced it on a wide scale. It was, with little doubt, known even before that.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#111109 Dec 5, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
So why don't you try to re-write history and change the Wiki article yourself? LOL! Good luck with that!
So do you still not understand that the article misused that word? probably not. Wiki is a very good general source. It still usually has more than one mistake per article, for encyclopedias this is actually a good thing. I have no intent to nitpick a Wiki article even if it is abused by creatards.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Since: Jul 09

Minneapolis

#111110 Dec 5, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
So, you are arguing that, if not for Darwin, cheetahs would be much nicer to antelopes?

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#111111 Dec 5, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
For one thing, it's difficult to tell if you are joking so I'll just say "okay, cool." But the more important thing is that I highly doubt you work there, very unlikely, as you don't even know that PCB design is dependent on evolutionary algorithms devised based on the ToE, which any tech would know. Without these algorithms phones would still be able to text, but that's all.
Please, continue...

Level 6

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#111112 Dec 5, 2012
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
You're the idiot, bub. Darwin explained evolution and NATURAL selection. The Nazis used artificial selection. Big difference.
You are right. Good job Mike!

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Indianapolis, IN

#111113 Dec 5, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Glad you finally agree. Thanks!
What? I haven't agreed with you, numbnutz. Are you developing a brain tumor or something? I told you that you were wrong several times. Including this time.
MikeF wrote:
Wrong. They espoused selective breeding (and genocide). Much, much older than Darwin's theory.
I know your last name is not Ryan but...

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Indianapolis, IN

#111114 Dec 5, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
You are right. Good job Mike!
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
You're losing it, John Boy. You can't even remember which side of the argument you're on.

Level 6

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#111115 Dec 5, 2012
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
You're losing it, John Boy. You can't even remember which side of the argument you're on.
Mike, I am agreeing with you. And showing you complements. There is nothing else to it.

Level 6

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#111116 Dec 5, 2012
A moment of silence for American Jazz Great, Dave Brubeck.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#111117 Dec 5, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
A moment of silence for American Jazz Great, Dave Brubeck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =vmDDOFXSgAsXX
On this, I can with no reservations agree with you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 5 min Gillette 117,442
Darwin on the rocks 7 min dog groomer 179
Humans DID evolve from apes! 2 hr Daz Ma Taz 3
Why are there no dinosaur pen is fossil? 3 hr John K 3
The Satanic Character of Social Darwinism 7 hr Zog Has-fallen 657
Bobby Jindal: "I'm Not an Evolutionary Biologist" 9 hr The Dude 14
It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 10 hr polymath257 137,376

Evolution Debate People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE