Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 Full story: www.scientificblogging.com 173,528

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand." Full Story
LowellGuy

Yonkers, NY

#110977 Dec 4, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
I read them all the time.
There's a difference between simply seeing the words and understanding what they mean. You only do the former.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Indianapolis, IN

#110978 Dec 4, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
How many times now? Instead, why don't you examine some of them for yourself? The Bible says women should not speak in church yet how many of those on your list are headed by women? Those churches are taking great liberties with the Word and creating their own version for themselves. Fine. Let them. But it's not following the words of Jesus Christ. Not even close. These are liberal churches that like to re-interpret the Bible to attract certain demographics and to include evolutionists is to increase their reach. They are forced to ignore or reject the word of God. Take for instance the Genesis creation account. Six days. Exodus, Ten Commandments. Six Days. The morning and the evening. The Sabbath. The Apostles confirm this numerous times as well as Jesus himself. You have to reject it outright. You have to call Jesus Christ a liar and say the Bible is something less than the word of God. The Bible is the Bible. You either accept it or reject it. That's all I'm saying.
And where you an I have a strong difference of opinion. For example, from Wiki:

"The Bible (from Koine Greek &#964;&#8048; &#946;&#953;&#946; &#955;&#943;&#945; ta biblia "the books") is a canonical collection of texts considered sacred in Judaism or Christianity. Different religious groups include different books within their canons, in different orders, and sometimes divide or combine books, or incorporate additional material into canonical books. Christian Bibles range from the sixty-six books of the Protestant canon to the eighty-one books of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church canon."

So given that these various versions of the bible were compiled by man, which is the correct one?

I also think your "accept it or reject it" position is silly. Most - myself included - accept it for what it is. A mixture of myths, allegories and, yes, truths. Again, the specifics of which were decided by men.

It's just too easy to be a fundy, isn't it. Question nothing. Believe everything. Nothing to worry your little head about.

Ignorance is bliss, eh?
Psychology

Hollywood, FL

#110979 Dec 4, 2012
Florida keys coral reefs becoming dead zone, just like the mississippi river delta and beyond. The news claims the coral death is from carbon dioxide. I say it's all the fertilizer from all the farming and sugar cane plantations runoff.
defender

London, KY

#110980 Dec 4, 2012
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>And where you an I have a strong difference of opinion. For example, from Wiki:

"The Bible (from Koine Greek &#964;&#8048; &#946;&#953;&#946; &#955;&#943;&#945; ta biblia "the books") is a canonical collection of texts considered sacred in Judaism or Christianity. Different religious groups include different books within their canons, in different orders, and sometimes divide or combine books, or incorporate additional material into canonical books. Christian Bibles range from the sixty-six books of the Protestant canon to the eighty-one books of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church canon."

So given that these various versions of the bible were compiled by man, which is the correct one?

I also think your "accept it or reject it" position is silly. Most - myself included - accept it for what it is. A mixture of myths, allegories and, yes, truths. Again, the specifics of which were decided by men.

It's just too easy to be a fundy, isn't it. Question nothing. Believe everything. Nothing to worry your little head about.

Ignorance is bliss, eh?
Ignorance is bliss when one depends on wiki for truthful information...
Psychology

Hollywood, FL

#110981 Dec 4, 2012
defender wrote:
<quoted text>
How true that is.
defender

London, KY

#110982 Dec 4, 2012
appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>"Ancestry due to coming from both parents" tells us that each generation of each species is transitional. This is the vehicle of the branching of nested hierarchies.
Inside the spices yes but not transitional to completely different ones...

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#110983 Dec 4, 2012
defender wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no hard border when it comes to evolution. That is a claim that creationists have never been able to defend.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Bay of Fundy

#110984 Dec 4, 2012
Psychology wrote:
<quoted text>
How true that is.
What? Wikipedia didn't say what you wanted it to say, so it was wrong?..:-)

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Bay of Fundy

#110985 Dec 4, 2012
Psychology wrote:
Florida keys coral reefs becoming dead zone, just like the mississippi river delta and beyond. The news claims the coral death is from carbon dioxide. I say it's all the fertilizer from all the farming and sugar cane plantations runoff.
You are probably right for coral around the US areas, but in the South Pacific it IS the carbon dioxide changing the acidity of the ocean.
LowellGuy

Haverhill, MA

#110986 Dec 4, 2012
defender wrote:
<quoted text>
Does nutmeg evolve into mace? This is important!

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Dubai, UAE

#110987 Dec 4, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
In the case of the army, you can prove it by validating each of the military units but this is not possible with species because you don't know where all the direct ancestors came from.
So now you are making a false argument in favour of a stretched analogy.

1. The argument: "this is the only acceptable way to validate X claim" is immediately false unless you can show why the nested hierarchy that shows up in the fossil record and pseudogenes etc is not a valid way. Nobody has done that yet! They have made a limited case that SOME ERV's (a small proportion of the evidence that includes pseudogenes and ubiquitous proteins as well), have some function, therefore the molecular clock does not apply in those limited cases.

The genetic evidence remains a slam dunk validation of common ancestry, and you have absolutely no way to counter it apart from your point blank Orwellian tactic of insisting that 2+2=5. i.e. refusal to allow yourself to grasp the consequences of this evidence.

2. The weakness of your stretched analogy is that an Army can be arranged in a nested hierarchy, but does not have to be. Evolution by random mutation and natural selection MUST be. "Does it fail the nested hierarchy test" is not a falsification test for an Army, but it is for evolution, especially among complex animals and plants.

Level 6

Dubai, UAE

#110988 Dec 4, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Which makes you a bigot. How can you not see that?
Kong wrote:
I feel YEC are willfully ignorant, and most wish to impose this ignorance on everyone else, despite every bit of evidence that counters their Bronze-age mentality.
I would guess you are not too sympathetic towards Fundamentalist Muslims. And you have often shown you despise anyone "left wing", or in the extreme, Communist. I bet you have a problem with Nazis too. How about pro-choice women? Are you going to try that meaningless bromide "Love the Sinner, hate the sin" to try to smooth over your vitriolic attacks on various groups in the past?

That would be hypocrisy!

By your definition, having such opinions makes you a bigot too.

So "bigot" just means anyone who for any reason dislikes the standards and mores and beliefs of another group? Then the word is now meaningless.

But its still a good victim word to sustain your persecution complex. Oh yeah, that's right. Kong forgot to mention "cultivated sense of persecution" as another good reason not to like many Fundie YECs.

Level 6

Dubai, UAE

#110989 Dec 4, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I do believe the earth is about 10,000 years old based on the many lines of overwhelming evidence I have presented over the years.
Must have been some other forum.

All we have seen here in defense of YEC are crackpot unfalsifiable hypotheses, quote mining, deliberately ignoring the opposing arguments, misquoted and misunderstood science (2nd law, anyone?), and arguments from incredulity.

All that has overwhelmed me is the ability of some to convert whatever rational faculties they have remaining into a handmaiden to their infantile fears and hopes.

Level 6

Dubai, UAE

#110990 Dec 4, 2012
defender wrote:
<quoted text>
Mike quoted Wiki:
"The Bible (from Koine Greek ta biblia "the books") is a canonical collection of texts considered sacred in Judaism or Christianity.
defender, answer: is that true or false?

And Mike quoted more Wiki:
"Different religious groups include different books within their canons, in different orders, and sometimes divide or combine books, or incorporate additional material into canonical books. Christian Bibles range from the sixty-six books of the Protestant canon to the eighty-one books of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church canon."
defender, answer : is that true or false?

You slurred Mike and Wiki as being untruthful in this instance. Show it.

And while you are at it, let that mimicking poodle Psychology AKA Jimbo AKA the Carpet Whisperer AKA Ashley try to back you since he mindlessly agreed. I am sure you can use the help.

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#110991 Dec 5, 2012
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Must have been some other forum.
All we have seen here in defense of YEC are crackpot unfalsifiable hypotheses, quote mining, deliberately ignoring the opposing arguments, misquoted and misunderstood science (2nd law, anyone?), and arguments from incredulity.
All that has overwhelmed me is the ability of some to convert whatever rational faculties they have remaining into a handmaiden to their infantile fears and hopes.
Absolute opposite is true. Yes, the the 2nd Law. Think about it. We see it play everywhere. Everywhere. But according to your theory, it is the only one rare exception? Come on Chimney boy, wise up. Nothing plus nobody equals everything? Yeah, right. There's no fine tuning or design...of course not. The water in the puddle fits the hole. LOL! Hello? You're the crackpot!

Level 6

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#110992 Dec 5, 2012
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
I would guess you are not too sympathetic towards Fundamentalist Muslims. And you have often shown you despise anyone "left wing", or in the extreme, Communist. I bet you have a problem with Nazis too. How about pro-choice women? Are you going to try that meaningless bromide "Love the Sinner, hate the sin" to try to smooth over your vitriolic attacks on various groups in the past?
That would be hypocrisy!
By your definition, having such opinions makes you a bigot too.
So "bigot" just means anyone who for any reason dislikes the standards and mores and beliefs of another group? Then the word is now meaningless.
But its still a good victim word to sustain your persecution complex. Oh yeah, that's right. Kong forgot to mention "cultivated sense of persecution" as another good reason not to like many Fundie YECs.
So your argument is that if I'm a bigot towards murderers, that makes me hypocrite. Good job Chimney. Actually, Darwinists are murderers as they caused the holocaust (and would do it again if given the chance) and promote the killing of millions of innocent children still.

Level 6

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#110993 Dec 5, 2012
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
So now you are making a false argument in favour of a stretched analogy.
1. The argument: "this is the only acceptable way to validate X claim" is immediately false unless you can show why the nested hierarchy that shows up in the fossil record and pseudogenes etc is not a valid way. Nobody has done that yet! They have made a limited case that SOME ERV's (a small proportion of the evidence that includes pseudogenes and ubiquitous proteins as well), have some function, therefore the molecular clock does not apply in those limited cases.
The genetic evidence remains a slam dunk validation of common ancestry, and you have absolutely no way to counter it apart from your point blank Orwellian tactic of insisting that 2+2=5. i.e. refusal to allow yourself to grasp the consequences of this evidence.
2. The weakness of your stretched analogy is that an Army can be arranged in a nested hierarchy, but does not have to be. Evolution by random mutation and natural selection MUST be. "Does it fail the nested hierarchy test" is not a falsification test for an Army, but it is for evolution, especially among complex animals and plants.
A soldier cannot just move to another company if he feels like. There is a strict chain of command. The nested hierarchy a an army can be validated and confirmed. But you could never prove a dino fossil was a direct ancestor of a feathered bird with an avian lung because first of all macroevolution never happened and second of all it's impossible even if it did. You got nothing.

Level 6

Dubai, UAE

#110994 Dec 5, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Absolute opposite is true. Yes, the the 2nd Law. Think about it. We see it play everywhere. Everywhere. But according to your theory, it is the only one rare exception? Come on Chimney boy, wise up. Nothing plus nobody equals everything? Yeah, right. There's no fine tuning or design...of course not. The water in the puddle fits the hole. LOL! Hello? You're the crackpot!
No, you only see your erroneous caricature of the 2nd law violated.

Tell me, is an egg about to hatch, with a live chick inside it fully developed, more or less complex than an egg at the moment of fertilization? And which of these two is in a higher entropy state according to the second law, the just fertilised egg, or the about to hatch egg?

If you can answer that correctly, your false understanding of the second law might be on the mend.

Level 6

Dubai, UAE

#110995 Dec 5, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
So your argument is that if I'm a bigot towards murderers, that makes me hypocrite. Good job Chimney. Actually, Darwinists are murderers as they caused the holocaust (and would do it again if given the chance) and promote the killing of millions of innocent children still.
No, my argument is that if you say you dislike a group for some reason, e.g lefties, then you are being just as "bigoted" as you claim Kong is being. He stated exactly what he did not like about Fundie YECs as a group. That is not bigotry, any more than you saying what you don't like about Democrats.

Nice try on the Darwinists caused the holocaust baloney. Wont wash with anyone intelligent. Especially as we can trace virulent German anti-semitism to that paragon of Protestant Christianity, Martin Luther, and before. Darwinists did not invent the blood libel, and Nazis were not Darwinists either. Hitler did not discriminate in exploiting science, folklore, or religion to achieve and justify his ends. Time you gave up on this cliched old canard, before we have to resort to calling you a bare faced liar.

Level 6

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#110996 Dec 5, 2012
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no hard border when it comes to evolution. That is a claim that creationists have never been able to defend.
BS! Dog kind. Cat kind. E.coli after 50,000 generations still 100% E.coli. The living fossil record. Wide genetic variation within the Created kind. Look at the range of everything from HIV virus (which is really not a complete living species) and the range of humans. Humans range from under 4 feet to over 7 feet and come in all shapes and sizes. Nothing has ever "macro-evolved" into some different kind.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 6 min Kong_ 116,530
It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 37 min MMLandJ 137,062
There is no scientific evidence whatsoever for ... 1 hr Shomari Goldstein 135
The Satanic Character of Social Darwinism 1 hr MikeF 477
Amino Acid Sequeneces prove Darwin a Liar 4 hr Kong_ 17
Satan's Lies and Scientist Guys 6 hr Chimney1 3
Can the universe be God's brain? (Jun '07) 11 hr Dogen 50
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Evolution Debate People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••