Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 179741 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

Psychology

United States

#110859 Dec 3, 2012
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
I appreciate your honesty.
Missed the particle physicist gravity link...
But here's another PARODY/SPOOF gravity site:
http://questiongravity.blogspot.com/p/argumen...
I appreciate the notice and thank you.

If you want, go to the page below an scroll down to
What on earth Is wrong with gravity,-- with dr Brian cox, particle physicist.

I got the jokes, but I'm kinda serious about gravity, but thank you.
http://www.google.com/search...

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#110860 Dec 3, 2012
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually after re-reading the link I realise I have been a bit unfair - the context is thus
.” Secondly, school textbooks routinely make false statements. For example,“the moon goes around the earth.” If the theory of gravity were true, it would show that the sun's gravitational force on the moon is much stronger than the earth's gravitational force on the moon, so the moon would go around the sun. "
Obviously this is still garbage , but even I with my limited knowledge of physics can see the missing variable here.
Lets see who can point it out - not putting my money on jimbo

It is a parody of creationism.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#110861 Dec 3, 2012
Psychology wrote:
<quoted text>
Should I look up the proof for the boy?
How difficult it must be to type into you browser,--- science teaches gravity as fact when it's not.

It is so funny that you don't know this is a parody.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#110862 Dec 3, 2012
Psychology wrote:
<quoted text>
You must have been home schooled.
http://www.bringyou.to/apologetics/p67.htm
by Ellery Schempp
All physics textbooks should include this warning label:
“This textbook contains material on Gravity. Universal Gravity is a theory, not a fact, regarding the natural law of attraction. This material should be approached with an open mind, studied carefully, and critically considered.”
The Universal Theory of Gravity is often taught in schools as a “fact,” when in fact it is not even a good theory.

IT WAS A JOKE!!!!

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#110863 Dec 3, 2012
Psychology wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol one more time. When you studied gravity in school, did it say that gravity was just a theory?
In science, theories aren't presented as "just a theory," because theories are enormously important.

http://www.notjustatheory.com/
Mugwump

Woodford Green, UK

#110864 Dec 3, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
It is a parody of creationism.
So I now understand - it is shocking I didn't spot it (though to be fair I wasn't using it to support my hypothesis)

I don't know what is worse, that I missed the parody, or that I accepted it as true pseudoscience

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#110865 Dec 3, 2012
Psychology wrote:
I emailed dr Verlinde my gravity hypothesis.
So says Erik Verlinde, 48, a respected string theorist and professor of physics at the University of Amsterdam, whose contention that gravity is indeed an illusion has caused a continuing ruckus among physicists, or at least among those who profess to understand it. Reversing the logic of 300 years of science, he argued in a recent paper, titled “On the Origin of Gravity and the Laws of Newton,” that gravity is a consequence of the venerable laws of thermodynamics, which describe the behavior of heat and gases.

I am sure that will be the high point of his day.

If he tells you your notion is full of it will you believe him?

Or will he be just another member of the anti Jim global conspiracy?

You know all us anti-Jim conspirators share notes on you. I will make sure he has downloaded the latest update on you before he replies.

Gravity, however IS very interesting. The last word on it has not been written.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#110866 Dec 3, 2012
Psychology wrote:
<quoted text>

If you are serious about gravity why not learn what the current theories of gravity are (there are several).

Or

Find a situation where Newton's Law of Gravity does not work.

Hint: you have not yet found one.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#110867 Dec 3, 2012
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
So I now understand - it is shocking I didn't spot it (though to be fair I wasn't using it to support my hypothesis)
I don't know what is worse, that I missed the parody, or that I accepted it as true pseudoscience

We just assume that anything Jim quotes is going to be a nuts as he is.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#110868 Dec 3, 2012
Psychology wrote:
<quoted text>

I apologize for jumping your case so hard. I did not expect you to admit your error. Kudos for being big enough to do so. I just don't expect that sort of behavior from creationists.
Level 6

Since: Aug 07

United States

#110869 Dec 3, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Yea, THAT is where you draw the line.
But creationist fantasy mental masturbation is science. LOL
Darwinism and macroevolution is pure fantasy mental masturbation.

Since: Dec 12

Newark, NJ

#110870 Dec 3, 2012
They should show all the cards to them and let em decide on their own what do they want to believe! Just my opinion
Level 6

Since: Aug 07

United States

#110871 Dec 3, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
But the 7 day week existed before the bible and the Hebrew people back to the Babylonians. Very likely the Hebrews picked up this tradition during their period of "captivity" under that older civilization.
You got nothing but lies.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#110872 Dec 3, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Darwinism and macroevolution is pure fantasy mental masturbation.

Yea, okay. Whatever.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#110873 Dec 3, 2012
Tobaru wrote:
They should show all the cards to them and let em decide on their own what do they want to believe! Just my opinion
Would you say the same thing regarding holocaust denial? Why or why not?

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#110874 Dec 3, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>

Why don't you look things up before making a fool of yourself.

BTW, Jim has officially moved ABOVE you as he has had the balls to admit being wrong TWICE now.(twice more than you if you are keeping score).

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#110875 Dec 3, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
But the 7 day week existed before the bible and the Hebrew people back to the Babylonians. Very likely the Hebrews picked up this tradition during their period of "captivity" under that older civilization.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven-day_week

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

#110876 Dec 3, 2012
Tobaru wrote:
They should show all the cards to them and let em decide on their own what do they want to believe!
Teaching science isn't about teaching anyone "what to believe". It's about teaching the best available science.

Creationism isn't science.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#110877 Dec 3, 2012
Psychology wrote:
<quoted text>

I read the article about Dr Verlinde's theory, and it appears to be a big departure from the standard thinking of gravity.

Not necessarily incorrect, though. I dont pretend to have the educational background that could understand the nuances of his concept. His peers (other physicists in the field) have mixed reviews, but he appears to have their respect nevertheless.

The point is: Dr Verlinde is expressing "NEW THINKING" in his theory about gravity, BUT....he has the educational qualifications to make legitimate scientific theory that might make new, important changes in our thinking about gravity.

In short, he knows what he's talking about.

You dont.

*I* don't either, but I am not pretending that I will overturn Newton's and Einstein's theories with (excuse me) simplistic nonsense.

Go out, get a couple dozen or more years of education, like Dr Verlinde, Einstein, etc....then come back and propose "NEW" gravitational theories, and perhaps you'll be taken much more seriously.

Level 4

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#110878 Dec 3, 2012
Psychology wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup, you're right, I just didn't read past the first few lines.
But I found a particle physicist that claims gravity is a theory. I already posted how to view his utube video.
I think it'a safe to say that gravity is a fact. There are a number of theories that try to describe the mechanism. Einstein envisioned mass as warping space, while particle physicists envision the "graviton" as a force mediating particle, for example. Still others apparently believe that gravity is a function of spin, although that's a rather unconventional position which is not supported by evidence.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 4 hr Serum1915 216,895
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 6 hr Yep 154,816
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 6 hr SoE 48,824
can anyone explain to me why humans are the onl... (Mar '08) 7 hr GoTrump 1,047
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 10 hr Aura Mytha 23,562
Evolution in action (May '16) Wed Thick cockney cha... 36
Richard Dawkins tells the truth Dec 5 Timmee 9
More from around the web