Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 Full story: www.scientificblogging.com 176,162

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand." Full Story

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#109161 Nov 24, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Not until I return from the beach after a nice bike ride, jog, and swim. Then I'll drink a few beers and watch some college ball. Thank you.

Enjoy the beach. It is cold up here today.
Psychology

Hollywood, FL

#109162 Nov 24, 2012
The study of immunology! Scientists have the entire world with which to learn, so why does science limit itself?

What science does, it does according to those that control, because their greed knows no bounds.

Your control destroys the hearts and minds that you leave no choices.

Congress does the bidding of the corporations that congress made possible, through bribery.

All nations and all people are restricted, in the name of bribery and control.

Soon the world will come to understand that it cannot afford these monstrous corporations, that have their tendrils in many businesses.

They must demand more and more, stunting any growth, while stealing everything from the labor force, forcing the gov to subsidize the only real money making force in the world, further stunting any growth without borrowing every single year.

Labor cannot carry all this weight. The stock market must further stunt growth, as its investors demand more profits, taking the profits from the only place possible, LABOR.

All your theft and control must destroy all.

You congeal as you divide and steal, in the name of the law.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#109163 Nov 24, 2012
appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the world view of the ancient's was, at best, mixed. In the letters between Alexander The Great and Darius, Darius suggests that if Alexander remains he would chase Alexander's army to the four corners of the earth. Alexander replies that he would just as soon stay--and also reminds Darius that the earth is a globe.

Right time and place. The Greeks figured out the earth was a sphere

"The concept of a spherical Earth dates back to ancient Greek philosophy from around the 6th century BC,[1] but remained a matter of philosophical speculation until the 3rd century BC when Hellenistic astronomy established the spherical shape of the earth as a physical given. The Hellenistic paradigm was gradually adopted throughout the Old World during Late Antiquity and the Middle Ages"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherical_Earth

Also see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Earth

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#109164 Nov 24, 2012
Psychology wrote:
The study of immunology! Scientists have the entire world with which to learn, so why does science limit itself?
What science does, it does according to those that control, because their greed knows no bounds.
Congress does the bidding of the corporations that congress made possible, through bribery.
Soon the world will come to understand that it cannot afford these monstrous corporations, that have their tendrils in many businesses.
They must demand more and more, stunting any growth, while stealing everything from the labor force, forcing the gov to subsidize the only real money making force in the world, further stunting any growth without borrowing every single year.
Labor cannot carry all this weight. The stock market must further stunt growth, as its investors demand more profits, taking the profits from the only place possible, LABOR.

You are skirting on the edge of schizophrenia.
Psychology

Hollywood, FL

#109165 Nov 24, 2012
Is it any wonder war must dominate most all media, in it's many forms, for what is media without sensationalism, nothing, because that is its desire, instead of spreading peace and prosperity to all. The media could congeal science and medicine across all continents, but nooo, it's desire is war.

Your heart is known by what you say.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#109166 Nov 24, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Naw, he dove in a long time ago, he just hides it better than most.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#109167 Nov 24, 2012
Psychology wrote:
Jim, Jim!!!

Take two white ones, a green one, and a pink one, right now!

People living in Florida, I suggest that you arm yourself. If Jim doesn't take his meds he is apt to go amok... again.
Psychology

Hollywood, FL

#109168 Nov 24, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol, only an idiot like yourself proclaims such, while unable to refute what is written. However, we can't expect a copy and paste moron like you to actually have a sound arguement.
Psychology

Hollywood, FL

#109169 Nov 24, 2012
You other children seem to play follow the moron, whomever it is at the moment.

Way t's go children, you're living down to what the school systems teach you.
LowellGuy

United States

#109170 Nov 24, 2012
Psychology wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol, only an idiot like yourself proclaims such, while unable to refute what is written. However, we can't expect a copy and paste moron like you to actually have a sound arguement.
70% of your posts are copy/paste. And, why don't you prove us wrong about you being crazy by just not being crazy? Yeah, easier said than done.

Ever been hospitalized against your will?
Mugwump

Bradford, UK

#109171 Nov 24, 2012
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
70% of your posts are copy/paste. And, why don't you prove us wrong about you being crazy by just not being crazy? Yeah, easier said than done.
And suspect he only reads 50% of his cut and pastes.

As evidenced by posting a critique of relativism as an argument against relativity

Or

A site debunking a Jewish conspiraloon theory as evidence FOR the same conspiraloon theory
Psychology

Hollywood, FL

#109172 Nov 24, 2012
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
According to you, 30% of what I post is not copy and paste, so why don't you children show the board, just one thing you write that is from your brain and not just the regurgitation of years of abuse y'all have suffered as children and now as those same children, you try to take it out on others.

Tsk, Tsk, children, I hear your mommies screaming for you.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#109173 Nov 24, 2012
Psychology wrote:
<quoted text>

I know what people with schizophrenia write like. I had one client keep a journal for at least a year. The post I referenced could have been right out of one of his notebooks.

Rambling, loose associations, anhedonia, parnoia....

I am not saying you have schizophrenia. You have paranoid personality disorder, grandiose type. I am just saying your last post demonstrated written symptoms of what schizophrenia patients evidence.
Mugwump

Bradford, UK

#109174 Nov 24, 2012
Psychology wrote:
<quoted text>
According to you, 30% of what I post is not copy and paste, so why don't you children show the board, just one thing you write that is from your brain and not just the regurgitation of years of abuse y'all have suffered as children and now as those same children, you try to take it out on others.
Tsk, Tsk, children, I hear your mommies screaming for you.
30%? That is close to the proportion of observations that make up your spin / gravity nonsense that by your own admission don't fit the rule.

Hey how's that for something that I worked out for myself.

Any thoughts on that yet ? Nah of course not.
Psychology

Hollywood, FL

#109175 Nov 24, 2012
Now now children, when you can refute what's written, do let us know.

We won't hold our breath.
christianity is EVIL

Halifax, Canada

#109176 Nov 24, 2012
Psychology wrote:
<quoted text>
me thinks youre PROJECTING here!

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#109177 Nov 24, 2012
Psychology wrote:

Your denial does not change what happened. You got your ass handed to you.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#109178 Nov 24, 2012
christianity is EVIL wrote:
<quoted text>
me thinks youre PROJECTING here!

He is just tired of being refuted by web sited devoted to very basic science. This is his way of trying to ignore reality.

Real obvious when you think about it.
Mugwump

Bradford, UK

#109179 Nov 24, 2012
Psychology wrote:
But you have refuted yourself you Frickimg lunatic.

(From your own spin / gravity lunacy
Psychology wrote:
More origional work from myself.
There are clear cut exceptions in the rule of axis spin creating weather and 2 are Venus and Neptune. 
So out of SEVEN observations TWO don't 'fit'

Brilliant hypothesis - but this is the point isn't it - it's not that people can't refute it - it's just that either you don't respond (dishonest) or you don't see it (delusional)
Psychology

Hollywood, FL

#109180 Nov 24, 2012
Children, if you feel the need to use a new alter ego, because you cannot refute the words of other people, that only makes you look worse.

Perhaps 2 or 4 new alter egos will work?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 7 min Chimney1 132,582
An atheistic view on evolution vs. a godly view... 35 min Chimney1 531
How would creationists explain... 42 min Chimney1 334
Creationism coming to Ohio classrooms? Not with... 1 hr nobody 7
god is not real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Jun '06) 11 hr Brian_G 13,618
24 hour dental emergency (Nov '13) Fri Zach 4
Science News (Sep '13) Fri Ricky F 2,936
More from around the web