Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 178618 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#109131 Nov 24, 2012
appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, eight valid points. But until the last few centuries, critical thinking was not required to determine what was acceptable. The ecclesiastical view tended to trump scientific evidence.
BS! This is the biggest F-ing lie. You are such scum to spread lies like this.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#109132 Nov 24, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
I crushed that idea and you know it. Flat earth is nothing but myth and bigotry.

Today, sure.

But all the work from ancient times indicates their world view was of a flat earth and a hemispherical dome "cosmos". The evidence is clear on that.

I notice you never did find any factual support for your assertions and were actually arguing what was known in the 1400s! at one point.

You tried.

It just was not a very good try.

Let us know when you have an answer to that. Till then it goes in the collection of other arguments you have lost badly.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Earth

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Since: Jul 09

Minneapolis

#109133 Nov 24, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Why not just state the facts? Judge Jones said he was threatened but gave no details and there isn't even any evidence of that. Typical of you and Kong to exaggerate and embelish everything to your imagined favor. To make broad generalizations about a group of people is pure bigotry and prejudice.
You are correct. It is reasonable to assume that Judge Jones was only threatened by people who favored the teaching of ID in public schools. There's no reason to point fingers specifically at lawyers, doctors, nurses, astronauts, bricklayers, etc.
LowellGuy

Astoria, NY

#109134 Nov 24, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Your are the LIAR!!! I did not say that did I moron? I said the School Board! You little lying snake.
"The board denied that intelligent design was "religion in disguise..."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitzmiller_v._Do...
Oh, the board led by a perjurer? Yeah, not impressed with their "determination."
LowellGuy

Astoria, NY

#109135 Nov 24, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
It didn't even occur to you that the case didn't even involve Christianity - it was about intelligent design vs. evolution. But don't let the facts get in the way of your religious bigotry. Even the school board dismissed the idea that ID was religion in disguise. Also, thinking that only Christians accept ID is moronic to say the least. This just illustrates how ignorant you and Kong are of the subject. I could go on but want to keep this holiday civil. But when attacked with dirty lies the way I was by you and Kong I will respond!
Odd, isn't it, how only religious institutions were brought in as witnesses for the defense. Yes, even Behe, fellow at DI, a religious organization.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#109136 Nov 24, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
It didn't even occur to you that the case didn't even involve Christianity - it was about intelligent design vs. evolution.

ROTFLMFBO!!!!

ID = Creation = Christianity.

Transitive Property
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text> But don't let the facts get in the way of your religious bigotry. Even the school board dismissed the idea that ID was religion in disguise.

But that ID was religion in disguise is EXACTLY what Judge Jones ruled.

"Teaching intelligent design in public school biology classes violates the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States (and Article I, Section 3 of the Pennsylvania State Constitution) because intelligent design is not science and "cannot uncouple itself from its creationist, and thus religious, antecedents." - John E. Jones III in ruling to Kitzmiller v. Dover Area School District.
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text> Also, thinking that only Christians accept ID is moronic to say the least. This just illustrates how ignorant you and Kong are of the subject.

It is not just fundy Christians. Some fundy Islamics accept it too. But no scientists and few lay people who are not strongly influenced by religion support ID.
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text> I could go on but want to keep this holiday civil. But when attacked with dirty lies the way I was by you and Kong I will respond!

You are thus refuted.

Don't bother responding if all you have is unsupported assertions like the above. It wastes both of our time.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#109137 Nov 24, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
Another great example of a living fossil: the gecko. Previously, the oldest fossil was "dated" at 50 million years. Then they found one, essentially as a modern gecko) in amber "dated" at 100 million years. LOL! The bottom of their feet has a few stems with suction cups; yes, just a few - 500 million of them - that enables then to walk on ceilings and whatever. Each of them is only 0.000008 inch in diameter. Nothing else like it anywhere. No evidence of macroevolution. Imagine the DNA instructions for gecko feet. And that's just their feet! Macroevolution never happened and their was no 50 or 100 millions years. Also, where did all this amber come from? How did the gecko get encapsulated in it? Clue: worldwide catastrophic flood.

The example found in amber is not a modern species and is extinct.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/09/...

You flood and earth age errors have already been dealt with.

Why are all your posts riddled with logical errors? Are you incapable of putting the same information into a logical train of thought?

You keep throwing "this species is special" nonsense at us and we keep knocking them out of the park.

Why do you do this to yourself?

Just for review a logical argument goes like this
Premise 1 (+support)
Premise 2 (+support)
=conclusion (based on 1 & 2)

A logical argument does NOT go like this:

Assertion 1 (unsupported)
Assertion 2 (unsupported)
=Unrelated conclusion

You might want to work on that.

Level 6

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#109138 Nov 24, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Today, sure.
But all the work from ancient times indicates their world view was of a flat earth and a hemispherical dome "cosmos". The evidence is clear on that.
I notice you never did find any factual support for your assertions and were actually arguing what was known in the 1400s! at one point.
You tried.
Let us know when you have an answer to that. Till then it goes in the collection of other arguments you have lost badly.
Nobody of any substance ever thought the earth was flat. It is pure myth perpetuated by some lying POS Darwinists.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myth_of_the_Flat...

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Minneapolis

#109139 Nov 24, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
Another great example of a living fossil: the gecko. Previously, the oldest fossil was "dated" at 50 million years. Then they found one, essentially as a modern gecko) in amber "dated" at 100 million years. LOL! The bottom of their feet has a few stems with suction cups; yes, just a few - 500 million of them - that enables then to walk on ceilings and whatever. Each of them is only 0.000008 inch in diameter. Nothing else like it anywhere. No evidence of macroevolution. Imagine the DNA instructions for gecko feet. And that's just their feet! Macroevolution never happened and their was no 50 or 100 millions years. Also, where did all this amber come from? How did the gecko get encapsulated in it? Clue: worldwide catastrophic flood.
Actually the gecko does not have suction cups on their feet. They have tiny little hairs that grab whatever surface they are walking on. This feature is common in other species, including flies, spiders, and many others. Though I would guess that the gecko is probably one of the largest animals to have this feature.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#109140 Nov 24, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Your are the LIAR!!! I did not say that did I moron? I said the School Board! You little lying snake.
"The board denied that intelligent design was "religion in disguise..."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitzmiller_v._Do...

Who cares what the school board said? They lied their asses off and lost!

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#109141 Nov 24, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Totally dishonest response.

Do you need me to repost what I said? It is just a page back so anyone can see it for themselves.

Which of us is the known liar here?

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#109142 Nov 24, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>

Again, you are making assertions that you do not even attempt to support.

I maintain that the universe is made entirely of invisible purple ping-pong balls.

I will continue to maintain this, will ignore all counter evidence and will call anyone who provides material evidence that I am wrong a liar.

You are my inspiration.
Psychology

Hollywood, FL

#109143 Nov 24, 2012
Corrupt congress, corrupt lawyers and judges and on and on. They destroy a nation from the inside out.

Level 6

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#109144 Nov 24, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
ROTFLMFBO!!!!
ID = Creation = Christianity.
Transitive Property
<quoted text>
But that ID was religion in disguise is EXACTLY what Judge Jones ruled.
"Teaching intelligent design in public school biology classes violates the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States (and Article I, Section 3 of the Pennsylvania State Constitution) because intelligent design is not science and "cannot uncouple itself from its creationist, and thus religious, antecedents." - John E. Jones III in ruling to Kitzmiller v. Dover Area School District.
<quoted text>
It is not just fundy Christians. Some fundy Islamics accept it too. But no scientists and few lay people who are not strongly influenced by religion support ID.
<quoted text>
You are thus refuted.
Don't bother responding if all you have is unsupported assertions like the above. It wastes both of our time.
Totally untrue and ignorant and contradictory to say the least. You are not making sense Dogen. You lose it occasionally.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#109145 Nov 24, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Nobody of any substance ever thought the earth was flat. It is pure myth perpetuated by some lying POS Darwinists.

Sorry you could not find support for your notion in the wikipedia article.

Maybe you should look elsewhere. Till then it is an unsupported contention that is a odds with the facts.

You can call people names, but that hardly supports you.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Minneapolis

#109146 Nov 24, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem a little extra sensitive today. Go ahead, take a little sip. Whattheheck, it's saturday, it'll calm you down.

Level 6

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#109147 Nov 24, 2012
appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually the gecko does not have suction cups on their feet. They have tiny little hairs that grab whatever surface they are walking on. This feature is common in other species, including flies, spiders, and many others. Though I would guess that the gecko is probably one of the largest animals to have this feature.
Wrong. Each of tiny fibers is tipped with a suction-cup-like flattened surface only 0.000008 inch diameter. They are equipped with muscles that peel and slide each of estimated 500 million suction pads on their feet. No other animal exhibits this design.

Level 6

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#109148 Nov 24, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry you could not find support for your notion in the wikipedia article.
Maybe you should look elsewhere. Till then it is an unsupported contention that is a odds with the facts.
You can call people names, but that hardly supports you.
"The myth of the Flat Earth is the modern misconception that the prevailing cosmological view during the Middle Ages saw the Earth as flat, instead of spherical."

"The idea that educated men at the time of Columbus believed that the earth was flat, and that this belief was one of the obstacles to be overcome by Columbus before he could get his project sanctioned, remains one of the hardiest errors in teaching."

"During the early Middle Ages, virtually all scholars maintained the spherical viewpoint first expressed by the Ancient Greeks. By the 14th century, belief in a flat earth among the educated was nearly nonexistent."

You were saying numbnuts? It must suck to be bi-polar. Today you must be the lying scumbag Dogen. I like the other Dogen much better.

Level 6

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#109149 Nov 24, 2012
appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem a little extra sensitive today. Go ahead, take a little sip. Whattheheck, it's saturday, it'll calm you down.
Not until I return from the beach after a nice bike ride, jog, and swim. Then I'll drink a few beers and watch some college ball. Thank you.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Minneapolis

#109150 Nov 24, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Today, sure.
You tried.
I think the world view of the ancient's was, at best, mixed. In the letters between Alexander The Great and Darius, Darius suggests that if Alexander remains he would chase Alexander's army to the four corners of the earth. Alexander replies that he would just as soon stay--and also reminds Darius that the earth is a globe.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How would creationists explain... (Nov '14) 17 min Dogen 469
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 22 min DanFromSmithville 164,435
News Darwin on the rocks (Sep '14) 22 min Dogen 1,874
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 32 min Dogen 141,370
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 hr MikeF 19,075
When is Quote Mining Justified? 8 hr Zog Has-fallen 26
How can we prove God exists, or does not? 18 hr GTID62 86
More from around the web