Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 180279 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Since: Jul 09

Minneapolis

#109139 Nov 24, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
Another great example of a living fossil: the gecko. Previously, the oldest fossil was "dated" at 50 million years. Then they found one, essentially as a modern gecko) in amber "dated" at 100 million years. LOL! The bottom of their feet has a few stems with suction cups; yes, just a few - 500 million of them - that enables then to walk on ceilings and whatever. Each of them is only 0.000008 inch in diameter. Nothing else like it anywhere. No evidence of macroevolution. Imagine the DNA instructions for gecko feet. And that's just their feet! Macroevolution never happened and their was no 50 or 100 millions years. Also, where did all this amber come from? How did the gecko get encapsulated in it? Clue: worldwide catastrophic flood.
Actually the gecko does not have suction cups on their feet. They have tiny little hairs that grab whatever surface they are walking on. This feature is common in other species, including flies, spiders, and many others. Though I would guess that the gecko is probably one of the largest animals to have this feature.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#109140 Nov 24, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Your are the LIAR!!! I did not say that did I moron? I said the School Board! You little lying snake.
"The board denied that intelligent design was "religion in disguise..."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitzmiller_v._Do...

Who cares what the school board said? They lied their asses off and lost!

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#109141 Nov 24, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Totally dishonest response.

Do you need me to repost what I said? It is just a page back so anyone can see it for themselves.

Which of us is the known liar here?

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#109142 Nov 24, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
BS! This is the biggest F-ing lie. You are such scum to spread lies like this.

Again, you are making assertions that you do not even attempt to support.

I maintain that the universe is made entirely of invisible purple ping-pong balls.

I will continue to maintain this, will ignore all counter evidence and will call anyone who provides material evidence that I am wrong a liar.

You are my inspiration.
Psychology

United States

#109143 Nov 24, 2012
Corrupt congress, corrupt lawyers and judges and on and on. They destroy a nation from the inside out.
Level 6

Since: Aug 07

United States

#109144 Nov 24, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
ROTFLMFBO!!!!
ID = Creation = Christianity.
Transitive Property
<quoted text>
But that ID was religion in disguise is EXACTLY what Judge Jones ruled.
"Teaching intelligent design in public school biology classes violates the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States (and Article I, Section 3 of the Pennsylvania State Constitution) because intelligent design is not science and "cannot uncouple itself from its creationist, and thus religious, antecedents." - John E. Jones III in ruling to Kitzmiller v. Dover Area School District.
<quoted text>
It is not just fundy Christians. Some fundy Islamics accept it too. But no scientists and few lay people who are not strongly influenced by religion support ID.
<quoted text>
You are thus refuted.
Don't bother responding if all you have is unsupported assertions like the above. It wastes both of our time.
Totally untrue and ignorant and contradictory to say the least. You are not making sense Dogen. You lose it occasionally.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#109145 Nov 24, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Nobody of any substance ever thought the earth was flat. It is pure myth perpetuated by some lying POS Darwinists.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myth_of_the_Flat...

Sorry you could not find support for your notion in the wikipedia article.

Maybe you should look elsewhere. Till then it is an unsupported contention that is a odds with the facts.

You can call people names, but that hardly supports you.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Since: Jul 09

Minneapolis

#109146 Nov 24, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
BS! This is the biggest F-ing lie. You are such scum to spread lies like this.
You seem a little extra sensitive today. Go ahead, take a little sip. Whattheheck, it's saturday, it'll calm you down.
Level 6

Since: Aug 07

United States

#109147 Nov 24, 2012
appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually the gecko does not have suction cups on their feet. They have tiny little hairs that grab whatever surface they are walking on. This feature is common in other species, including flies, spiders, and many others. Though I would guess that the gecko is probably one of the largest animals to have this feature.
Wrong. Each of tiny fibers is tipped with a suction-cup-like flattened surface only 0.000008 inch diameter. They are equipped with muscles that peel and slide each of estimated 500 million suction pads on their feet. No other animal exhibits this design.
Level 6

Since: Aug 07

United States

#109148 Nov 24, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry you could not find support for your notion in the wikipedia article.
Maybe you should look elsewhere. Till then it is an unsupported contention that is a odds with the facts.
You can call people names, but that hardly supports you.
"The myth of the Flat Earth is the modern misconception that the prevailing cosmological view during the Middle Ages saw the Earth as flat, instead of spherical."

"The idea that educated men at the time of Columbus believed that the earth was flat, and that this belief was one of the obstacles to be overcome by Columbus before he could get his project sanctioned, remains one of the hardiest errors in teaching."

"During the early Middle Ages, virtually all scholars maintained the spherical viewpoint first expressed by the Ancient Greeks. By the 14th century, belief in a flat earth among the educated was nearly nonexistent."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myth_of_the_Flat...

You were saying numbnuts? It must suck to be bi-polar. Today you must be the lying scumbag Dogen. I like the other Dogen much better.
Level 6

Since: Aug 07

United States

#109149 Nov 24, 2012
appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem a little extra sensitive today. Go ahead, take a little sip. Whattheheck, it's saturday, it'll calm you down.
Not until I return from the beach after a nice bike ride, jog, and swim. Then I'll drink a few beers and watch some college ball. Thank you.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Since: Jul 09

Minneapolis

#109150 Nov 24, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Today, sure.
But all the work from ancient times indicates their world view was of a flat earth and a hemispherical dome "cosmos". The evidence is clear on that.
I notice you never did find any factual support for your assertions and were actually arguing what was known in the 1400s! at one point.
You tried.
It just was not a very good try.
Let us know when you have an answer to that. Till then it goes in the collection of other arguments you have lost badly.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Earth
I think the world view of the ancient's was, at best, mixed. In the letters between Alexander The Great and Darius, Darius suggests that if Alexander remains he would chase Alexander's army to the four corners of the earth. Alexander replies that he would just as soon stay--and also reminds Darius that the earth is a globe.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Since: Jul 09

Minneapolis

#109151 Nov 24, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong. Each of tiny fibers is tipped with a suction-cup-like flattened surface only 0.000008 inch diameter. They are equipped with muscles that peel and slide each of estimated 500 million suction pads on their feet. No other animal exhibits this design.
Gecko feet:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_setae

Spider feet:

http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2004/04...

Both setae hairs.

“That's just MY opinion...”

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#109152 Nov 24, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
Your are the LIAR!!! I did not say that did I moron? I said the School Board! You little lying snake.
"The board denied that intelligent design was "religion in disguise..."
...and it was demonstrated that they were lying.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#109153 Nov 24, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
"The myth of the Flat Earth is the modern misconception that the prevailing cosmological view during the Middle Ages saw the Earth as flat, instead of spherical."
"The idea that educated men at the time of Columbus believed that the earth was flat, and that this belief was one of the obstacles to be overcome by Columbus before he could get his project sanctioned, remains one of the hardiest errors in teaching."
"During the early Middle Ages, virtually all scholars maintained the spherical viewpoint first expressed by the Ancient Greeks. By the 14th century, belief in a flat earth among the educated was nearly nonexistent."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myth_of_the_Flat...
You were saying numbnuts? It must suck to be bi-polar. Today you must be the lying scumbag Dogen. I like the other Dogen much better.
And even after quoting his article Urb does not realize how it does not support his position. Of course Urb is our D.K. resident here. Evil, Russell, and even Mav are giving him a run for the money right now, but he is the champion of these threads.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#109154 Nov 24, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
How the ancients could have easily determined that the earth is a round sphere (in brief):
1. Watching as ships come and go on the ocean horizon
2. Sailing toward or away from mountains
3. Holding a straight edge horizontally along the horizon
4. Measuring and comparing the angle of the sun’s shadow at different places
5. Noting the shape of the earth’s shadow on the moon during a lunar eclipse
6. Noting the shape of the light/dark line cast by the sun on the moon through phases
7. Noting the changing angle of the north star with changes in latitude
8. Noting the rotating stars around the north star during the night
So then why did the christian church at the time call it blasphemy to say it wasn't flat?

“That's just MY opinion...”

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#109155 Nov 24, 2012
appleboy wrote:
Urb's Scanning Electron Microscope is probably out of adjustment and the spatulae on the setae looked like little suction cups.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#109156 Nov 24, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Nobody of any substance ever thought the earth was flat. It is pure myth perpetuated by some lying POS Darwinists.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myth_of_the_Flat...
From your own article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Orlando-Fer...

1893 and with biblical references.
Mugwump

Bradford, UK

#109157 Nov 24, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Your are the LIAR!!! I did not say that did I moron? I said the School Board! You little lying snake.
"The board denied that intelligent design was "religion in disguise..."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitzmiller_v._Do...
Unfortunately the court found differently and ruled they were lying which was my point - sorry do you only use the rule of law when it suits your purpose, e.g. When defending greenleaf?
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh now you like the rules of evidence. I thought you decided that wasn't good enough when it came to the conclusions of Harvard Law professor Simon Greenleaf, you know, the one who authored the three volume, A Treatise on the Law of Evidence, that every law student in America must master? Make up your mind already. Oy Vey!
Make up your mind already
Oy Vey!

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#109158 Nov 24, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Totally untrue and ignorant and contradictory to say the least. You are not making sense Dogen. You lose it occasionally.

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
ROTFLMFBO!!!!
ID = Creation = Christianity.
Transitive Property
<quoted text>
But that ID was religion in disguise is EXACTLY what Judge Jones ruled.
"Teaching intelligent design in public school biology classes violates the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States (and Article I, Section 3 of the Pennsylvania State Constitution) because intelligent design is not science and "cannot uncouple itself from its creationist, and thus religious, antecedents." - John E. Jones III in ruling to Kitzmiller v. Dover Area School District.
<quoted text>
It is not just fundy Christians. Some fundy Islamics accept it too. But no scientists and few lay people who are not strongly influenced by religion support ID.
<quoted text>
You are thus refuted.
Don't bother responding if all you have is unsupported assertions like the above. It wastes both of our time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Can the universe be God's brain? (Jun '07) 4 min Regolith Based Li... 96
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 9 min marksman11 157,428
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 17 min 15th Dalai Lama 51,560
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 18 min Regolith Based Li... 218,743
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr Joe Momma 24,676
can anyone explain to me why humans are the onl... (Mar '08) 4 hr ChromiuMan 1,124
The Fossil Record Does Not Support The Theory O... 20 hr MADRONE 47
More from around the web