Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 180369 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

“May you be at peace.”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#108958 Nov 20, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Except that there's no seller involved and it's free for the asking.

But you get extra credit points with god for reeling them in.
Level 6

Since: Aug 07

United States

#108959 Nov 20, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
I can see you are not that familiar with their work. Rush has been described as too "artsy fartsy" for the RRHoF. Along wit KISS they are one of the Halls most famous snubs.
http://stereogum.com/1000982/the-11-biggest-r...
I can relate. I dearly love Jethro Tull but they probably won't make it into the RRHOF either.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#108960 Nov 20, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Rush is OK as certainly noted by sales stats but they WAY overused electronic synthesizers and the vocals, well...sounds too much like a wailing munchkin. They're just not that great; they haven't made it into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame or even Rolling Stones Top 500 Songs. They are a weird progressive fantasy rock group that never quite established a solid identity in the mainstream. Probably best known for synthesizers and keyboards and guitar special effects and that damb squeaky voice (ala Tom Sawyer). I have every Beatles, Eric Clapton, Allman Brothers, Dylan, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Moody Blues, Pink Floyd, James Taylor, etc., etc., etc.,(well you get the picture) but I've never been moved to own any Rush. I think you need strong drugs and a good set of headphones for them.
Kiss isn't in the HoF either, so that isn't a real gauge of worthiness. Neither are The Cars. Granted, Rush is mainly a two-album band (Moving Pictures/2112), but those are two MAJOR albums. It's like Pink Floyd. They're mainly known for a couple albums. They can't all be Led Zeppelin.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#108961 Nov 20, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Except that there's no seller involved and it's free for the asking.
The seller is the religious organization (what religious organization doesn't do outreach in the community to increase its ranks?), and the cost is one's critical thinking faculties and intellectual honesty, not to mention self-respect and dignity. So, you were saying?
Level 6

United States

#108962 Nov 20, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
How much did you pay for your bible?
How much tithing do you give?
Do you vote based on the religious ideals?
You give way more to them than you think, you're just too blind to see it.
My bible was a gift and I don't go to church. And the economy was really my only factor in deciding who to vote for. You can get a free bible if you need one at any hotel or motel. The Gideon's encourage you to take one. Or walk up to any church and they will love to give you one. It's also readily free online these days. Salvation and eternal life is absolutely free. Come to think of it, you really don't even need a bible but if you get saved, you'll want one. But just a word of warning. If you aren't sincere and reject the spirit of God, you will never understand it.
Level 6

United States

#108963 Nov 20, 2012
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Kiss isn't in the HoF either, so that isn't a real gauge of worthiness. Neither are The Cars. Granted, Rush is mainly a two-album band (Moving Pictures/2112), but those are two MAJOR albums. It's like Pink Floyd. They're mainly known for a couple albums. They can't all be Led Zeppelin.
Oh come on....Kiss? They suck! No talent cartoon band.
Level 6

United States

#108964 Nov 20, 2012
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
The seller is the religious organization (what religious organization doesn't do outreach in the community to increase its ranks?), and the cost is one's critical thinking faculties and intellectual honesty, not to mention self-respect and dignity. So, you were saying?
There is no requirement to go to church. That's only in your imagination. Remember, you are a religious bigot.
Level 6

United States

#108965 Nov 20, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
But you get extra credit points with god for reeling them in.
Biblical reference to this claim please?

“May you be at peace.”

Location hidden

#108966 Nov 20, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
I can relate. I dearly love Jethro Tull but they probably won't make it into the RRHOF either.

I love JT, too!

Did you ever hear A Classic Case: The London Symphony Orchestra plays JT?
Level 6

United States

#108967 Nov 20, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
I love JT, too!
Did you ever hear A Classic Case: The London Symphony Orchestra plays JT?
No haven't heard that. I just have greatest hits and Thick as a Brick.

“May you be at peace.”

Location hidden

#108968 Nov 20, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
My bible was a gift and I don't go to church. And the economy was really my only factor in deciding who to vote for. You can get a free bible if you need one at any hotel or motel. The Gideon's encourage you to take one. Or walk up to any church and they will love to give you one. It's also readily free online these days. Salvation and eternal life is absolutely free. Come to think of it, you really don't even need a bible but if you get saved, you'll want one. But just a word of warning. If you aren't sincere and reject the spirit of God, you will never understand it.

You really don't need one. I have at least 10 bibles but I never read them anymore. I do most of my reading/studying online. I like to compare translations between the Darby, NASB, Young's, and New Jerusalem (Catholic version). I use the web to get etymologies of Hebrew and Greek words.

I hear there is an mp3 version of the NASB. I would not mind having that.

“May you be at peace.”

Location hidden

#108969 Nov 20, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh come on....Kiss? They suck! No talent cartoon band.

They have a few good songs but I am not a big fan either.

Lick It Up
Hard Luck Woman
Beth
Rock And Roll All Night

They are above suck, but I don't have a single Kiss album.

“May you be at peace.”

Location hidden

#108970 Nov 20, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no requirement to go to church. That's only in your imagination. Remember, you are a religious bigot.

Depends on denomination. Some churches put a lot of peer pressure on people.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#108971 Nov 20, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
That went so far over you head, it's amazing you don't get taken for everything you're worth every day.

“May you be at peace.”

Location hidden

#108972 Nov 20, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Biblical reference to this claim please?

Common unspoken belief system.

“May you be at peace.”

Location hidden

#108973 Nov 20, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
No haven't heard that. I just have greatest hits and Thick as a Brick.

Highly recommended for anyone who likes JT AND classical music.

Rush has also had quite a bit of their music arranged for classical instruments and a number of recordings have been done.
Level 6

United States

#108974 Nov 20, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Common unspoken belief system.
Not really. It's not based on scripture but I understand that some religions push it. I've never felt a need. But...if someone came to me and was sincerely interested I would hope that I would be fully prepared to witness properly. But I certainly don't go around pushing it on people. It's an individuals choice.
Level 6

United States

#108975 Nov 20, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
That went so far over you head, it's amazing you don't get taken for everything you're worth every day.
It didn't go over my head, it went under my feet. LOL! You're just a never-ending flow of foolish nonsense.

“May you be at peace.”

Location hidden

#108976 Nov 20, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Not really. It's not based on scripture but I understand that some religions push it. I've never felt a need. But...if someone came to me and was sincerely interested I would hope that I would be fully prepared to witness properly. But I certainly don't go around pushing it on people. It's an individuals choice.

Good. Doing that when a person does not ask for it just pushes people further away.
Level 6

United States

#108977 Nov 20, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Good. Doing that when a person does not ask for it just pushes people further away.
You're probably right.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Regolith Based Li... 80,034
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 6 hr Dogen 163,784
News Intelligent design (Jul '15) Sat Dogen 571
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) Sat ChromiuMan 222,780
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) Fri River Tam 32,582
What's your religion? Fri Zog Has-fallen 4
Life started in Tennessee proof. Sep 15 Science4life 1
More from around the web