Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 180388 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

United States

#108724 Nov 18, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Awesome. I love Mahler. My favorites are Vivaldi, Mozart and certain pieces from Shostakovich (Symphony #8 is powerful). Generally I lean toward the Baroque.
Bach's chorals and high baroques are the best. I perform Bach's Prelude from Cello Suite No. 1 on guitar.(Yo-Yo Ma made it famous again recently.)

Level 6

United States

#108725 Nov 18, 2012
THe Darwinists are choking on their own vomit and messing themselves in diarhea once again. Ewww! Get away from me you stinky Darwinist!

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque

#108726 Nov 18, 2012
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not so sure of that. We do have Psycho Jim who earns a solid "d" though I think he qualifies for all categories. I haven't seen Wolverine lately, but he is a bit on the crazy side too, if you ask me. Even Urb has to be a bit insane. He wouldn't hang out here so much if his opinion was only based upon his stupidity.
If you asked me I would put c higher than b for most. For some reason people seem to think it is okay to lie for Jebus. I know, logically it makes no sense. That might move their action back into the stupid range.
Over all you are correct. Why they spout their errors does not matter. Keeping the damage to a minimum is what is really important. And since we are not in any political races right now, and we are not going to educate any of these fools perhaps we should have fun with them instead of trying to teach them.
... Nah, I can't do it. I will keep on trying to fight the good fight. But if others feel like teasing the crap out of the morons that is fine with me.
You're not sure of 'b' but you call them 'morons'. That goes hand in hand with ignorant, illiterate and just plain stupid. Insanity is a good bet but it's hard to judge since less than half claim brain damage.

They are well informed. They know for certain that the fate of all humanity hinges on an argument over a pomegranate between a naked lady and a talking snake.

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque

#108727 Nov 18, 2012
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you mean? You try to edit it now, but it is too late. The Bible is too widely spread. The best you can do is to reinterpret it in now that we know that the Earth goes around the Sun and not vice versa.
In a couple of hundred years your crazy religion will probably be denying some other part of science. Religion always trail science but it eventually accepts that truth. Look at how long it took the Catholic Church to admit that Galileo was right.
They already deny all of science. It's nothing but a global conspiracy to make fundies look stupid. There's that word again. They won't be able to deny some other part of science until there's more science.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#108728 Nov 18, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
Darwinists can't have it both ways. They say the Bible teaches the earth is flat (of course it doesn't say that) and have ridculed Christians for centuries over this. Yet, they also keep telling us that the Bible is a mere over-edited book of fairy tales written by losers who just put anything in there they want. Well don't you think we might have wanted to change circle to sphere if we thought that would help us? This stuff is too funny.

In the world view of the ancients, the earth was flat. It was considered and obvious fact that did not need to be questioned.

The bible was established long before the round earth was generally accepted.

On of the principles of bible historicity is that things that seem out of place or even wrong are likely to be original to the text as any alterations would been in the direction of normalcy or correctness.

Like the story of Jesus and the naked boy in the Garden. No one would edit that INTO the bible.
Level 6

United States

#108729 Nov 18, 2012
Yes I'm sure nobody was ever curious about whether the earth was flat or not. LMAO. Noah must have thought he was going to float right off the edge. LMAO. The folks building the Tower or Babel didn't ever hold up a bamboo rod level with the horizon and see the prominant curve of the horizon. No of course not. In order to perpetuate this myth we must not also believe that the builders of Giza Pyramid ever considered the earth's dimensions in the angles and lengths and height nor did they know what latitude and longitude they placed it. No way. ROTFLMAO!
Level 6

United States

#108730 Nov 18, 2012
No, men have not for millenia watched as tall ships gradually sunk below the horizon. How could that be if the earth is flat?

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#108731 Nov 18, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Bach's chorals and high baroques are the best. I perform Bach's Prelude from Cello Suite No. 1 on guitar.(Yo-Yo Ma made it famous again recently.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =dZn_VBgkPNYXX

Ah,... Bach.

You ever listen to Christopher Parkening's Guitar versions of Bach?

www.youtube.com/watch...

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#108732 Nov 18, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
THe Darwinists are choking on their own vomit and messing themselves in diarhea once again. Ewww! Get away from me you stinky Darwinist!

I put on deodorant!

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#108733 Nov 18, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
Yes I'm sure nobody was ever curious about whether the earth was flat or not. LMAO. Noah must have thought he was going to float right off the edge. LMAO. The folks building the Tower or Babel didn't ever hold up a bamboo rod level with the horizon and see the prominant curve of the horizon. No of course not. In order to perpetuate this myth we must not also believe that the builders of Giza Pyramid ever considered the earth's dimensions in the angles and lengths and height nor did they know what latitude and longitude they placed it. No way. ROTFLMAO!

You have been offered the opportunity to provide support for your notion. Yet throughout early history we find that implicit acceptance of the earth being flat was universal.

Again, it is easy to see once you understand it it true and hard to see when you don't.

It is a lot like evolution (geometric growth, nested hierarchies,...) in that respect.

Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#108734 Nov 18, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why didn't we/don't we? You're not making any sense.
The manuscripts used to be hand written, closely held, not bound in one book, and actually written down after centuries of an oral tradition in the first place.

Its not so easy to change a book when millions of printed copies are held across the world, old and new. You are stuck with errors like "young woman" mistranslated into "virgin", and there they will stay forever. You are also stuck with a flat earth.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#108735 Nov 18, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
No, men have not for millenia watched as tall ships gradually sunk below the horizon. How could that be if the earth is flat?

We had tall ships 3000 years ago?

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#108736 Nov 18, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
In CGI we deal with an effect called perspective all the time, even a flat surface will produce that effect quite easily.

Level 6

Location hidden

#108737 Nov 18, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
You miss the point. If they already assumed the earth is flat, the will attribute ships disappearing over the horizon to a different cause. They probably wont give it too much thought and blame it on haze or something without looking closely. Its astonishing what people can glibly believe without close examination or even with some.

It seems as natural as anything in the world to me that the heart pumps blood which circulated in my body, and astonishing to realise that NO physicians anywhere in the world understood that until William Harvey proposed it.

It even seems obvious that gravity both makes things fall and causes them to orbit, once you understand how it works. Yet realising it was one of the greatest intellectual leaps of history.

Everybody KNEW the earth was flat until bits of observation, some of which might have been separately noticed but not given much thought, came together and gave somebody a truly radical idea. That UP and DOWN were not universal, that the world sat on nothing at all, etc. These are NOT obvious notions. The Chinese and the Mayans had extensive astronomical knowledge and they missed it.

And in any case, your favorite bronze age tribe were not exactly a seafaring nation.
Level 6

United States

#108738 Nov 18, 2012
OK now that it is agreed about the flat earth myth, I cut my finger on a sharp kitchen knife and BAM! Blood clotting cascade. Now that's interesting. Blood sure is weird. Every other liquid we can think of empties out when it's container is ruptured. But you bleed a little and then it stops. How many steps are involved and what would happen if one of them went wrong? What if it didn't clot? Well that's is obvious. What if the clotting didn't stop? Oh that wouldn't be good either. Darwinists have no answer for how this could have evolved.
Level 6

United States

#108739 Nov 18, 2012
Isn't it great how atheists know more about the Bible than believers do? That's just great.
Level 6

United States

#108740 Nov 18, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah,... Bach.
You ever listen to Christopher Parkening's Guitar versions of Bach?
www.youtube.com/watch...
His books basically helped teach me how to play!

Please take a moment and read his testimony:

http://www.parkening.com/cplife1.html

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#108741 Nov 18, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
OK now that it is agreed about the flat earth myth, I cut my finger on a sharp kitchen knife and BAM! Blood clotting cascade. Now that's interesting. Blood sure is weird. Every other liquid we can think of empties out when it's container is ruptured. But you bleed a little and then it stops. How many steps are involved and what would happen if one of them went wrong? What if it didn't clot? Well that's is obvious. What if the clotting didn't stop? Oh that wouldn't be good either. Darwinists have no answer for how this could have evolved.
It's called clotting, and has a very massive advantage in nature.

Level 6

Location hidden

#108742 Nov 18, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
It's called clotting, and has a very massive advantage in nature.
Never mind.

Urban Cowboy is about to trot out yet another repeat of his discredited Irreducible Complexity argument which does not work even in principle.

Its original champion Behe used blood clotting as an example until his argument bled like a hemophiliac in the Dover trial. Lets watch the whole UC thing develop shall we...

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

#108743 Nov 18, 2012
Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Never mind.
Urban Cowboy is about to trot out yet another repeat of his discredited Irreducible Complexity argument which does not work even in principle.
Its original champion Behe used blood clotting as an example until his argument bled like a hemophiliac in the Dover trial. Lets watch the whole UC thing develop shall we...
I thought in the Dover trial he tried the flagellum fallacy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr replaytime 74,899
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 2 hr Subduction Zone 32,045
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 2 hr Endofdays 162,006
creationism, for good reason fears answers 3 hr Science 12
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 3 hr Agents of Corruption 221,489
Mathematicians PROVED evolution IMPOSSIBLE! 3 hr Science 301
Is Creationism and Intelligent Design debunked ... 3 hr Science 236
More from around the web