Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 | Posted by: Cash | Full story: www.scientificblogging.com

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."
Comments
105,801 - 105,820 of 171,502 Comments Last updated 31 min ago

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Chimney1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ridiculous.
Rational people think you use the bible in place of science because you try to reject the findings of astronomy, cosmology, physics, chemistry, geology, paleontology, archaeology,and biology whenever they disagree with the bible.
"Hatred and bigotry" are just words you use because they reinforce your paranoia, which appears to be a built in requirement for cultists in general in maintaining their dogmas. What hurts you more than persecution you crave is the awful realisation that the vast majority of well educated people in this world simply don't give a toss about your ignorant cult.
No, only you extreme darwinist think that. Oh and by the way, we are the educated people of the world.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Amen brother!
So you DO believe in the inerrant Bible a opposed to verifiable, quantified and unambiguous EVIDENCE.

Yup.

Though so.

Level 6

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
So you DO believe in the inerrant Bible a opposed to verifiable, quantified and unambiguous EVIDENCE.
Yup.
Though so.
Why did you answer the question posed to me? Is it because you are a hateful, bigoted Dick? Yes!

The truth is you twist what we say about the Bible. Here's a dumbed down version maybe even a dimwit like you can understand: There is the Bible and there is science. They are different. Get it?

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Judged:

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
No, there is also the distinct possibilty that they are feeble-minded or the most likely explanation is they are lying just to kiss up to Darwin and they don't care that it destroys their character. This is about the same as them claiming that Creationist's believe the sky is red and even when I tell them no, it is blue as usual, but they persist anyway because they think this will get people to think of creationists as dumb and will score them some brownie points with Darwin. It's utter insanity.
You really need to stop projecting.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Why did you answer the question posed to me? Is it because you are a hateful, bigoted Dick? Yes!
The truth is you twist what we say about the Bible. Here's a dumbed down version maybe even a dimwit like you can understand: There is the Bible and there is science. They are different. Get it?
So, you actually think pi is 3. Bats are birds. Splashing goats blood will cure sickness. As well as all the other "facts" in your bible. You must be completely uneducated.

Level 6

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You really need to stop projecting.
No projection. Only truth.

Level 6

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So, you actually think pi is 3. Bats are birds. Splashing goats blood will cure sickness. As well as all the other "facts" in your bible. You must be completely uneducated.
As is obvious and recognized worldwide by all, nobody expects the Bible to be a technical math text. It is only you hateful, bigoted darwinists who try to perpetuate this falsehood because of your insecurities. How pathetic!

Orlando

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>

Hey, tell it to the folks at AiG, and the others that DO insist on a literal, inerrant Bible.

I'm fine with anyone claiming that their favorite Supreme Deity was involved in "Creation", but dont try to teach my kids (or any one else's in a public school setting) that they used 'magic'.

Genesis is a series of campfire stories. It is not science.

If there IS a 'God', He/She/It has left us evidence that He/She/It used the forces, and time-lines as described by geology, biology, astronomy, physics, etc to do His/Her/Its bidding.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Judged:

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
No projection. Only truth.
No, all you have done is project. It's why there is no sense to be had in showing you just how stupid you really are, because you'll just turn around and accuse everyone else of lying or "not understand" your meaningless mythology. Clue: There's not much to understand about your bloodthirsty, egotistical, and rather stupid god.

I mean, if all this is designed, your god needs to be fired for incompetence. Seriously.

Level 6

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Total lies!

Level 6

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
No, all you have done is project. It's why there is no sense to be had in showing you just how stupid you really are, because you'll just turn around and accuse everyone else of lying or "not understand" your meaningless mythology. Clue: There's not much to understand about your bloodthirsty, egotistical, and rather stupid god.
I mean, if all this is designed, your god needs to be fired for incompetence. Seriously.
Now you are searching for answers. I don't have them all but I do know that our sin led to the fall, and that he gave us free will. We were not made as robots.

Level 6

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Judged:

Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, tell it to the folks at AiG, and the others that DO insist on a literal, inerrant Bible.
I'm fine with anyone claiming that their favorite Supreme Deity was involved in "Creation", but dont try to teach my kids (or any one else's in a public school setting) that they used 'magic'.
Genesis is a series of campfire stories. It is not science.
If there IS a 'God', He/She/It has left us evidence that He/She/It used the forces, and time-lines as described by geology, biology, astronomy, physics, etc to do His/Her/Its bidding.
No, the only group claiming magic is darwinists.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
As is obvious and recognized worldwide by all, nobody expects the Bible to be a technical math text. It is only you hateful, bigoted darwinists who try to perpetuate this falsehood because of your insecurities. How pathetic!
So then why are you saying that it's more accurate about biology than biologists today? You are contradicting yourself in this very post.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Judged:

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Now you are searching for answers. I don't have them all but I do know that our sin led to the fall, and that he gave us free will. We were not made as robots.
No, I found my answers, I found a lot of them. Now all I'm doing is looking for a challenge to test them on, and you are not challenging me. All you are doing is ranting, raving, and looking like a general lunatic. It's old, stupid, annoying, and a sign of a lazy mind. No one who wastes their mind like you do deserves to have one.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
This old canard again? Can't you come up with a better joke?

Orlando

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Just to clarify:

You, yourself DO NOT subscribe to a literal, inerrant version of Creation, as described in Genesis?

Orlando

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Urban Cowboy wrote:
Darwinists are so eaten up with hatred and bigotry that they actually try to make people think creationists use the Bible in place of science! How incredibly idiotic and dishonest.
(I then referenced "Creation Research Society - Statementment of Belief" that showed that creationists EXPLICITLY use the Bible in place of science)
Kong_ wrote:
Similarly, from the "Creation Reseach Society":

CRS Statement of Belief

"All members must subscribe to the following statement of belief:

1. The Bible is the written Word of God, and because it is inspired throughout, all its assertions are historically and scientifically true in the original autographs. To the student of nature this means that the account of origins in Genesis is a factual presentation of simple historical truths."

http://www.creationresearch.org/stmnt_of_beli...
To which Urban Cowboy replied:
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Amen brother!
To which I answered:
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
So you DO believe in the inerrant Bible a(s) opposed to verifiable, quantified and unambiguous EVIDENCE.

Yup.

Though so.
Cowboy fired back with:
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>

***Now go back to the beginning of this series, and see WHO is the individual 'eaten up with hatred and bigotry' and who is 'incredibly idiotic and dishonest'.
Mugwump

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
No dummy. Framework is an underlying set of ideas, the context, the structure. It is not meant as the last word on details. Are you really this stupid?
Are you really this dishonest to continually ignore the bit that says the bible is the ultimate authority, and hence overrides anything else.

He let me post it again.

' Its assertions are factually true in all the original autographs. It is the supreme authority in everything it teaches. Its authority is not limited to spiritual, religious, or redemptive themes but includes its assertions in such fields as history and SCIENCE.'

(Capitalization added for emphasis)

And as you seem to forget the purpose of this attempt to hold a mirror up to your dishonesty... Let me remind you of the hole you dug.
Urban Cowboy wrote:
Darwinists are so eaten up with hatred and bigotry that they actually try to make people think creationists use the Bible in place of science! How incredibly idiotic and dishonest.
Cue more dodging

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Seems you are either A. Insane, B. a complete imbecile or C. a pathetic liar. Which is it?

What is more interesting to me is how obviously your bias affects your thinking. Millions of people saw the moon as a flat disk, but with your bias you cannot see what they saw.

It is very interesting how cognitive biases and a priori assumptions blind you.

This is why we have the scientific method; because it is just this easy to see what we expect to see. That hindered scientific development for all of human history. WITH the scientific method, however, our body of scientific knowledge is doubling every 3-5 years.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Your IQ just fell below 75 points Dogen. Either that or you are possessed by the Devil.

Perhaps it is not very nice of me to kick you when you are down this far, but just to reiterate:

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Assertions, assertions, assertions.... but not a bit of data anywhere.
You looked for evidence of your assertions on google, no doubt. You did not find anything supporting your contention.
You lose again. A rather pathetic attempt. I am very disappointed in you.
In terms of fallacies we are looking at poisoning the well, ad hominem, slippery slope, Ad ignorantiam, Argument from Personal Incredulity, Begging the Question, False Analogy,
Special pleading, straw-man.
Your post is quite the "Who's Who" of poor reasoning.

----------

Again, NOTHING from you. Zip. Not so much a a link to a fundy, nonsense, antiscience, web site.

How sad for you.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

18 Users are viewing the Evolution Debate Forum right now

Search the Evolution Debate Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 12 min wondering 112,986
British Ban Teaching Creationism As Science, Sh... 18 min wondering 148
GOP House candidate Bob Frey believes dinosaurs... 21 min wondering 11
Big Bang? 26 min wondering 294
The Universe is fine-tuned for life 28 min The_Box 354
It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 30 min MikeF 134,479
Science News (Sep '13) 2 hr Ricky F 2,837
•••
•••