Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 Full story: www.scientificblogging.com 178,083

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand." Read more

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Since: Jul 09

Minneapolis

#104533 Oct 12, 2012
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me guess,
'The planet has always changed climate'- irrelevant
'Its all a tax scamming conspiracy'- so tax on tobacco proves it doesn't cause cancer
'CO2 is minute proportion of atmosphere'- irrelevant
'Its the sun'- look up warming of troposphere and stratosphere
I do wonder if the arguments against AGW in a few decades will be viewed in the same ways as the arguments against ToE - I.e. scientifically illiterate
I think there's a lot more economic politics involved in global warming than in ID. While global warming itself seems to be undeniable, the cause of global warming is still debatable.

There is still a significant portion of "old technology" that sees their share of the economic pie as being threatened, and much of "new technology" that is competing for that same pie share. They both hire legions of lawyers and scientists to offset the other's evidence. It seems that objective science is leaning towards new technology, but there is also gross oversimplification on both sides.
wong londo

Jakarta, Indonesia

#104534 Oct 12, 2012
evolution means your grand parents were monkeys

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

#104535 Oct 12, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
All I know is the whole Nobel thing is a joke.
Apparently, something is a "joke" merely when you disagree with it. Unfortunately for you, that definition of "joke" does not appear in any well regarded dictionary.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#104536 Oct 12, 2012
wong londo wrote:
Do you subscribe to any excellent creationist journals?

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#104537 Oct 12, 2012
wong londo wrote:
Not your grandparents, but if you add enough "great"s in front of "grandparents" the answer is yes. The ancestor that we share with monkeys would be called a monkey today. Technically we are still monkeys. Of course technically we are still mammals, even if you do feed your baby on formula only.

Do you have a problem with that?

Level 8

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#104538 Oct 12, 2012
wong londo wrote:
We share 99% of our DNA with bonobos and chimps. This is a fact. This is not even debatable.

While we are closely related to apes and monkeys, you have to go back many millions of years to find a common ancestor, however.

The reason why we look different from bonobos and chimps despite having 99% of our DNA in common has to do with gene regulation, i.e. when genes are turned off and on.

For a long time, including when I was in college and studying genetics, it was thought that much of our DNA was "junk DNA." We have now learned that such "junk DNA" is very important to gene expression. By simply controlling the timing of the activation and deactivation of various genes you can have two very closely related species that appear and act very differently.

To deny evolution is akin to denying that the earth is round. There is so much evidence for its existence and if you understand genetics, there is no way it could not happen.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Minneapolis

#104539 Oct 12, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
He's an idiot and Global Climate Change is a joke which makes the Nobel a joke as well.
Global Climate Change is not a joke, though its causes are still debatable. It might be true that global warming would be with us even without burning of fossil fuels. There is evidence that the earth has gone through many long term dramactic climate changes in the past and that this is just one more.

Aside from the economic battle involving technological forces, there is also the social-political battle of getting nations to do something about the problem. Those who say, "it's not our fault" have less motivation to do something about it. Others say that it doesn't matter if it's our fault or not, something has to be done.

My feeling is that we need to do whatever we can to abate the probems of global warming, and that if guilt works better than pure science as motivator, so be it. So I hold my nose and say, "go for it Al Gore."

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#104540 Oct 12, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
You are the poster child and patron saint of the Dunning-Krugger effect.
But you can change that by learning more than talking.
When I read Jimbo's posts, this is all I hear: http://youtu.be/KMkCPCWbmZk
Elohim

Branford, CT

#104541 Oct 12, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL.....Hey!
Did you get up this way for leaf peeping? Just about peak here along the Long Island Sound.

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

Arlington, VA

#104542 Oct 12, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
I appear to be in good company. Not one scientist has ever declined a Nobel Prize. I wonder why?
Now you claim a Nobel Prize. Why am I not surprised?

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Minneapolis

#104543 Oct 12, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Have your little tea. I could debunk evolution on a daily basis. Next up? The lack of seafloor sediment. We know the rate of accumulation. So where is all the sediment? At the current rate, the current thickness of seafloor sediment would accumulate in less than 12 million years. After 3 billion years, we would expect to see 250 times more sidiment that we see today. What about that? What will be your rescue theory for this?
The ocean floor is a lot more variable than land above sea level. Sediments tend to collect in some places and become washed away in other places.

http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/dl/free...

There are many places in the ocean floor that show a thin accumulation of sediments. Creationists try to use these as evidence of a young earth.

Level 6

Arlington, VA

#104544 Oct 12, 2012
Sublime1 wrote:
We share 99% of our DNA with bonobos and chimps. This is a fact. This is not even debatable.
Why is it not debatable? Prove it first. What percent of protein do we share with chimps? Twenty percent?

Level 6

Arlington, VA

#104545 Oct 12, 2012
Elohim wrote:
<quoted text> Did you get up this way for leaf peeping? Just about peak here along the Long Island Sound.
No, I'm afraid not. Couldn't get away from work. Maybe next year! Are you on the Connecticut side or the Long Island side? Must be nice. We did however, get some clear, cool, dry weather down here in Miami....finally! Slept with the windows open last night.

Level 6

Arlington, VA

#104546 Oct 12, 2012
appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>
The ocean floor is a lot more variable than land above sea level. Sediments tend to collect in some places and become washed away in other places.
There are many places in the ocean floor that show a thin accumulation of sediments. Creationists try to use these as evidence of a young earth.
Here's an article from the Creationist point of view:

http://www.icr.org/article/56/

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#104547 Oct 12, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Now you claim a Nobel Prize. Why am I not surprised?

Funny little twist of what I said.

Yea, two actually and a MacArthur 'Genius' Grant.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#104548 Oct 12, 2012
appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>

They have no shame, nor do they check facts.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Minneapolis

#104549 Oct 12, 2012
Psychology wrote:
<quoted text>Y'all claim that earth has been here for 4.5 billion years. According to science, subduction zones eat up 2.5 centimeters per year or, 15.5 miles in one million years. So, divide one million into 4.5 billion years and we get 4500. Multiply that by 15 and we get a loss of 67,500 miles of techtonic plates, across all subduction plates.
Oh my, that means science is full of shit, boy.
It appears that you don't know what a subduction zone is. Here's a little help for you.

http://pubs.usgs.gov/gip/dynamic/understandin...

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#104550 Oct 12, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Why is it not debatable? Prove it first. What percent of protein do we share with chimps? Twenty percent?

Oooh, another red herring.

Actually we share 96% of the same genetic material.

Level 6

Arlington, VA

#104551 Oct 12, 2012
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
When I read Jimbo's posts, this is all I hear: http://youtu.be/KMkCPCWbmZk
I think you are obsessed with sex LG.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#104552 Oct 12, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I'm afraid not. Couldn't get away from work. Maybe next year! Are you on the Connecticut side or the Long Island side? Must be nice. We did however, get some clear, cool, dry weather down here in Miami....finally! Slept with the windows open last night.
Florida weather is improving. Humidity is gone. 66 this morning. About 87 today with a nice breeze. Nice!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Darwin on the rocks (Sep '14) 16 min Paul Porter1 887
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 35 min Paul Porter1 154,611
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr thetruth 17,906
Are Asians/whites more evolved? (Sep '07) Thu Dogen 1,714
News Another Successful Prediction of Intelligent De... Thu MikeF 1
News Intelligent Design: Corey Lee Wed Paul Porter1 1
News Evolution debate vote (Mar '09) Mar 25 MikeF 3,394
More from around the web