Should evolution be taught in high sc...

Should evolution be taught in high school?

There are 179706 comments on the www.scientificblogging.com story from Feb 24, 2008, titled Should evolution be taught in high school?. In it, www.scientificblogging.com reports that:

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.scientificblogging.com.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Level 6

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#104046 Oct 8, 2012
Well Hung Taxpayer wrote:
<quoted text>That's an interesting question, but I'd venture to disagree that evolution buffs have failed to consider thermodynamics, entropy or anything else. As a field of scientific inquiry, evolution is pretty well established. It might be that life is 'preprogrammed" to evolve, but if it is, scientists have yet to discover the mechanism. Maybe God is the driving force, but if so, this is beyond the scope of traditional science.
Which is why ID is not science. Once you posit something for which there can be no falsification simply on the desire to believe it you are in the realm of fantasy.
Psychology

United States

#104047 Oct 8, 2012
Well Hung Taxpayer wrote:
<quoted text>
From what I remember about astronomy, the earth is in an elliptical orbit around the sun, with the sun being at one foci. So we're not always at the same distance as we would be if the orbit was circular. The trajectories are well described by math and physics, which are foundational to science, and supported by direct observation. With all due respect, I'd encourage you to study and understand traditional science before offering alternatives that are largely unsupported by observation. Real science is far more intriguing than fiction and fanciful armchair speculation, and may offer a more satisfying experience than mere conjecture. I'm wholly in favor of skepticism toward science, but you should understand the concepts it before presuming to criticize them. That's just my opinion.
So you can't use my hypothesis against my hypothesis, huh, neither can any of the Evo tards.

Why are you even replying with this nothingness. You act like a jealous little boy and cry on dogens shoulder about me, while you call me names.

You think you are intelligent, when in fact, you are of average intelligence. You will never get smarter, acting as you do now, but then most people hate those that are much smarter, unless the gov and media are selling them for their own sakes.

Most all people are what and how they were taught. Every school in America teaches cut and paste. You have intelligence, but your jealousy and dependency stop you from becoming very smart.

Without transparency and total truth, at least with yourself, you will be nothing more than Dogen, that you fall back on.

I know this won't matter, but hey, one never knows who's listening.

Level 4

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#104048 Oct 8, 2012
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Which is why ID is not science. Once you posit something for which there can be no falsification simply on the desire to believe it you are in the realm of fantasy.
Your point is well taken, but it might be an oversimplification to state that everyone of religious faith is in "the realm of fantasy". There are plenty of well respected scientists who manage to find a balance between scientific pursuit and religious faith.
Psychology

United States

#104049 Oct 8, 2012
Well Hung Taxpayer wrote:
<quoted text>
Dogen's comment on that subject is reasonably well stated. Objects are drawn toward the center of gravity, which for terrestrial onjects is the center of the earth. At the surface of the earth, objects fall toward the center. At the center of the earth, the distribution of mass is approximately equal in all directions. It's not a terribly difficult concept.
Haay, deciet suits you as well as the other tard you rely on.

If I'm wrong idiot, you'll bring evidence. Go BS someone else moron.

Level 4

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#104050 Oct 8, 2012
Psychology wrote:
<quoted text>
So you can't use my hypothesis against my hypothesis, huh, neither can any of the Evo tards.
Why are you even replying with this nothingness. You act like a jealous little boy and cry on dogens shoulder about me, while you call me names.
You think you are intelligent, when in fact, you are of average intelligence. You will never get smarter, acting as you do now, but then most people hate those that are much smarter, unless the gov and media are selling them for their own sakes.
Most all people are what and how they were taught. Every school in America teaches cut and paste. You have intelligence, but your jealousy and dependency stop you from becoming very smart.
Without transparency and total truth, at least with yourself, you will be nothing more than Dogen, that you fall back on.
I know this won't matter, but hey, one never knows who's listening.
You are original, I'll grant you that. Thanks for the chuckle.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#104051 Oct 8, 2012
Wow!! Is it just me or has Jimbo really gone off the deep end the last month or so? I know he has always been a bit crazy, but lately he has been truly Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs.

Level 4

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#104052 Oct 8, 2012
Psychology wrote:
<quoted text>
Haay, deciet suits you as well as the other tard you rely on.
If I'm wrong idiot, you'll bring evidence. Go BS someone else moron.
I'm curious, and no offense is intended, but I'm just wondering what level of education you have. I ask this because you seem to have unconventional ideas about science, and I'm curious if this is what you learned in school.
Psychology

United States

#104053 Oct 8, 2012
Well Hung Taxpayer wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm curious, and no offense is intended, but I'm just wondering what level of education you have. I ask this because you seem to have unconventional ideas about science, and I'm curious if this is what you learned in school.
Show one American school that teaches something other than cut and paste.

When you can use my hypothesis against my hypothesis, then you can talk about education.

Of course so far you have given no evidence.

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#104054 Oct 8, 2012
Well Hung Taxpayer wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm curious, and no offense is intended, but I'm just wondering what level of education you have. I ask this because you seem to have unconventional ideas about science, and I'm curious if this is what you learned in school.
"Unconventional"?!?!

That's a little TOO diplomatic.

Psycho's off the deep end of the pool.
Psychology

United States

#104055 Oct 8, 2012
The college educated in America are mostly cut and paste cubically smart, but they were never taught to think for themselves. A tiny few learn to think for themselves.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Lakeland, FL

#104056 Oct 8, 2012
monkey for evonuts wrote:
<quoted text> thank for the complement,bozo the clown
I notice your lack of denial. But then, what could you say?

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Lakeland, FL

#104057 Oct 8, 2012
Psychology wrote:
<quoted text>
Show one American school that teaches jackass.other than cut and paste.
My entire school district and all the others, you jackass. It's called plagiarism and a guaranteed F.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Lakeland, FL

#104058 Oct 8, 2012
Psychology wrote:
The college educated in America are mostly cut and paste cubically smart, but they were never taught to think for themselves. A tiny few learn to think for themselves.
Being a blithering idiot is not the same thing as thinking for yourself, Jimmy Boy.
Psychology

United States

#104059 Oct 8, 2012
Show evidence that American schools teach other than copy and paste, if you can.

Use my hypothesis against my hypothesis, as I use your words against you.

Since you can't, I'll start laughing now.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Lakeland, FL

#104060 Oct 8, 2012
Psychology wrote:
Show evidence that American schools teach other than copy and paste, if you can.
Use my hypothesis against my hypothesis, as I use your words against you.
Since you can't, I'll start laughing now.
Oh, f**k off, you moron. You don't know jack about education (or much else) in any way, shape or form. So why don't put you dunce cap back on, go sit in the corner and just STFU,

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#104061 Oct 8, 2012
Psychology wrote:
The college educated in America are mostly cut and paste cubically smart, but they were never taught to think for themselves. A tiny few learn to think for themselves.
My theory:

(ahem)...."The core of Jupiter is made out of Jiffy Peanut Butter....specifically, Crunchy."

There.

I am the ONLY person to have ever made that hypothesis. If you cannot dispute my hypothesis, then it is true.
[/SARCASM]

See? Anybody can come up with unique, but illogical swill that NOBODY has ever thought of before, and pretend it's a valid scientific breakthrough.

What you are proposing is EXACTLY the same as what I "offered" above. The only difference is, you were being serious.
Psychology

United States

#104062 Oct 8, 2012
So you have no evidence? Imagine that.:-)

American teachers, cut and paste servants that prove they will kiss the govs arse and let the children become cut and paste entities.
Psychology

United States

#104063 Oct 8, 2012
Those of you that think you are smart, speak up, or prove you are cut and paste.
Psychology

United States

#104064 Oct 8, 2012
It's quite boring having no one of significant intelligence, with which to shatter the field.
Psychology

United States

#104065 Oct 8, 2012
A mind needs another mind which challenges said. It's very difficult to come up with new thoughts, without a mind to push with respect.

Deceitful morons abound. A truly intelligent individual is far too rare.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Might life have spontaneously have started mill... 5 min In Six Days 629
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 20 min One way or another 48,384
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 26 min Genesis Enigma 154,611
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 1 hr It aint necessari... 216,602
Richard Dawkins tells the truth 9 hr Porkncheese 6
Science News (Sep '13) Fri _Susan_ 3,980
News Does Mike Pence Believe in Evolution? Thu scientia potentia... 9
More from around the web