Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 Full story: www.scientificblogging.com 178,167

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand." Read more

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

United States

#103960 Oct 8, 2012
Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
What is stopping you from looking it up yourself. Google is really quick. I gave you a couple of references a few posts back. Enough to get you started.
Oh, you mean you actually know about Google? I impressed!

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

United States

#103961 Oct 8, 2012
Subduction Zone wrote:
Urb, you keep complaining that Talk Rational is propaganda. If that was the case you should be able to find an article of theirs that you are able to refute.
Go ahead, put your money where your mouth is. Put some work into refuting the article of your choice.
It's garbage.
MIDutch

Clinton Township, MI

#103962 Oct 8, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
And they be wrong.
Well, unlike YOUR "science", the VAST majority of REAL scientist and the VAST majority of non-"fundie xristian creotards" who are aware of it, accept that the logic, reasoning, scientific research and empirical evidence in support of the Theory of Evolution are sound.

What you and your "fundie xristian creotard" cult think about it is irrelevant.

Hopefully, your cult will be extinct in a few more years.

http://www.barna.org/teens-next-gen-articles/...

"Reason #3 – Churches come across as antagonistic to science.
One of the reasons young adults feel disconnected from church or from faith is the tension they feel between Christianity and science. The most common of the perceptions in this arena is “Christians are too confident they know all the answers”(35%). Three out of ten young adults with a Christian background feel that “churches are out of step with the scientific world we live in”(29%). Another one-quarter embrace the perception that “Christianity is anti-science”(25%). And nearly the same proportion (23%) said they have “been turned off by the creation-versus-evolution debate.” Furthermore, the research shows that many science-minded young Christians are struggling to find ways of staying faithful to their beliefs and to their professional calling in science-related industries."

Obviously, this evangelical xristian anti-science problem exists mostly here in the US, but it does seem that your evangelical xristian young people aren't as bronze age, goat herder FAIRY TALE blind as you are.
MIDutch

Clinton Township, MI

#103963 Oct 8, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Where did I claim that liar?
It's part of the whole "literal and inerrant Bible is revealed knowledge, so anything we make up about it must be right" thing you "fundie xristian creotards" have going.

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#103964 Oct 8, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
More of a natural con-artist. The research articles support Haldane and the rest are just Talkorigins propaganda nonsense. Talkorigins post of the month? Really?

No, they do not support Haldane's original contention (which even he backed away from). If you are saying this I will call you a liar and begin the process of quoting from the articles.

"Haldane stated at the time of publication "I am quite aware that my conclusions will probably need drastic revision", and subsequent corrected calculations found that the cost disappears. He had made an invalid simplifying assumption which negated his assumption of constant population size, and had also incorrectly assumed that two mutations would take twice as long to reach fixation as one, while sexual recombination means that two can be selected simultaneously so that both reach fixation more quickly. The creationist claim is based on further errors and invalid assumptions."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haldane%27s_dile...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4...

http://www.sekj.org/PDF/anz40-free/anz40-185....

Clearly selection IS limited, but not a cost that prevents evolution of the species.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#103965 Oct 8, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
And they be wrong.

So you, a fellow internet troll, are claiming that you know more, are smarter, wiser and more informed than all the scientists from the fields of biology, chemistry, biochemistry, genetics, anthropology, archeology, geology,....

are claiming that you know more, are smarter, wiser and more informed than all the scientists from the U.S. and other major governments (I might give you that one).

..are claiming that you know more, are smarter, wiser and more informed than all the the Christian universities which teach evolution.

..are claiming that you know more, are smarter, wiser and more informed than all the scientists from all over the world and from every walk of life, from every political background, from every religion, from every financial background.

How did they get so indoctrinated AND how is it that, all fields of science being related, so many fields of science have found supporting evidence for it?

Another hand waive coming?

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#103966 Oct 8, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, you mean you actually know about Google? I impressed!

Apparently you don't or you would have checked out the references for Haldane's dilemma and stopped before you put your keyboard in your mouth.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

#103967 Oct 8, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
It's garbage.

Look at the coward run....

Run away...
Run away...

Subduction Zone wrote:
Urb, you keep complaining that Talk Rational is propaganda. If that was the case you should be able to find an article of theirs that you are able to refute.
Go ahead, put your money where your mouth is. Put some work into refuting the article of your choice.
Level 1

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#103968 Oct 8, 2012
They sure aren't teaching anything else in High School. It's a complete waste of time. Kids should go from 8th grade directly into college. The only problem is, public union teachers aren't doing a good job in grade school either.
MIDutch

Clinton Township, MI

#103969 Oct 8, 2012
Eighthman wrote:
They sure aren't teaching anything else in High School. It's a complete waste of time. Kids should go from 8th grade directly into college. The only problem is, public union teachers aren't doing a good job in grade school either.
Well, you can always let the fast food fry cook, grocery store cashiers, church janitor parents who think the Earth is 6000 years old, the first man was magically conjured up out of a pile of dirt, pi=3, insects have 4 legs, etc. teach the children.

Instead of being 24th, or whatever we are, in the world where education is concerned the US can be somewhere in the hundreds, which I'm sure will make the "fundie xristian creationists" very proud.

What was it that Martin Luther said?

"Reason must be deluded, blinded, and destroyed. Faith must trample underfoot all reason, sense, and understanding, and whatever it sees must be put out of sight and ... know nothing but the word of God."-Martin Luther

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

#103970 Oct 8, 2012
Psychology wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, I see you're getting very creative in your searches, very nice!
Creative methods of finding bullshit to support bullshit isn't "very nice." It's stupid.

By the way, where is the evidence supporting your claims about tackstrips and rotational gravity? You want people to support their claims with evidence, yet you never do so. Do you know the word that describes this kind of behavior?

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#103971 Oct 8, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
It's garbage.
We demonstrate how your sources are bullshit, and you ignore it. We ask you to demonstrate how our sources are bullshit, but you never do. That is a concession on your part that you are incapable of doing so, either because you acknowledge their validity but cannot admit such, or don't have the intellectual means to figure out how to do so (which you can't, because your entire premise is "I'm right therefore I'm right and everything that disagrees with me, by definition, is wrong"). Your concession is noted and accepted. Thanks for playing.

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#103972 Oct 8, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
It's all just made up to fit the theory. There isn't any evidence. You've been brainwashed.
Everything is wrong except your personal interpretation of the Bible, or, at least, the interpretation you've been taught to accept. Good for you for finally being honest.

Now, just tell us why only fundamentalist Christian creationists are able to be competent in science, and EVERYBODY ELSE IN THE ENTIRE WORLD is not.

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

#103973 Oct 8, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
Isn't it telling that no human can fly by flapping their arms? And that's after a lifetime of learning with birds? But bats can!
FIFY
Prime Outsourcing

Makati City, Philippines

#103974 Oct 8, 2012
Well, I think that it is ok to teach it to them. But you still need to choose the topics that are more easy to understand since they are still kids.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#103975 Oct 8, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
More excuses...
More whining.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#103976 Oct 8, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
It's garbage.
More brilliance from Mr Middle Finger.

It's bitch when you have nothing to come back with, isn't it, Urb.
newspaper boy

London, KY

#103977 Oct 8, 2012
Work online at home. It's 100% FREE! It's easy! If you have an email and a computer you can get started! So sign up today! http://4554041.dailydollardash.com
If you have any questions friend me and send me a message in my inbox.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Since: Jul 09

Minneapolis

#103978 Oct 8, 2012
Psychology wrote:
The total lies by science, about gravity.
Read the last sentence carefully.
The US Patent Office has never issued a patent for anti-gravity. Why is this? According to natural law and homeopathy, everything exists in opposites: good-evil; grace-sin; positive charges-negative charges; north poles-south poles; good vibes-bad vibes; etc. We know there are anti-evolutionists, so why not anti-gravitationalists? It is clearly a matter of the scientific establishment elite protecting their own. Anti-gravity papers are routinely rejected from peer-reviewed journals, and scientists who propose anti-gravity quickly lose their funding. Universal gravity theory is just a way to keep the grant money flowing.
http://www.bringyou.to/apologetics/p67.htm
...And don't forget all those round earth apologists!
Psychology

Hollywood, FL

#103979 Oct 8, 2012
Prime Outsourcing wrote:
Well, I think that it is ok to teach it to them. But you still need to choose the topics that are more easy to understand since they are still kids.
So by what's being done, you wouldn't mind if they teach children, that 1+3 might equal 5, right?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 16 min ChristineM 17,997
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 20 min HTN640509-040147 154,939
News Darwin on the rocks (Sep '14) 1 hr Paul Porter1 935
Are Asians/whites more evolved? (Sep '07) Mar 26 Dogen 1,714
News Another Successful Prediction of Intelligent De... Mar 26 MikeF 1
News Intelligent Design: Corey Lee Mar 25 Paul Porter1 1
News Evolution debate vote (Mar '09) Mar 25 MikeF 3,394
More from around the web