Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 | Posted by: Cash | Full story: www.scientificblogging.com

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."

Comments (Page 5,069)

Showing posts 101,361 - 101,380 of168,566
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2012

Well Hung Taxpayer wrote:
<quoted text>
There was an article this morning about a Republican legislator who remarked that evolution, embryology and the big bang theory were "lies from pit of hell" designed to deceive people into believing that God is an irrelevant myth. Interestingly, he serves as chairman on a science committee. I'm all in favor of skepticism toward institutionalized science, including evolution, but blind faith in religious dogma is no better than blind acceptance of anything else. Personally, I don't view either position as mutually exclusive, in fact learning more about science can actually deepen a person's religious faith if one keeps an open mind. The true "deception" is when someone believes that they're somehow uniquely endowed with the enlightenment necessary to judge someone else's world view as true or untrue.

I agree. UC and I were just bantering, as usual.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2012

Psychology wrote:
So the sun supplies all of earths energy, yes or no?

No.
Psychology

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2012

Global warming to global cooling. It should simply be called, global climate changes.

http://www.globalwarmingclassroom.info/earth_...

Level 4

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2012

Psychology wrote:
So the sun supplies all of earths energy, yes or no?
E=mc^2 is the relationship between mass and energy. therefore the energy embodied in the mass of the earth is not necessarily derived from the sun. Energy released from a nuclear or even exothermic chemical reaction is not necessarily solar in origin.
Psychology

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2012

Judged:

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
You leave out the conclusion at the bottom of the page:
"It is surprising that mixing entropy and biology still fosters confusion. The relevant concepts from physics pertaining to the second law of thermodynamics are at least 100 years old. The confusion can be eradicated if we distinguish thermodynamic entropy from logical entropy, and admit that Earth's biological system is open to organizing input from outside."
Note explicitly the last sentence.
Are you endorsing panspermia as the author is?
It means nothing, no matter when it was first used, because there is no such thing as a closed system and you can't name even one closed system.

Panspermia has no evidence. It's worth less than nothing.

Level 4

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2012

Geothermal energy might be another good example.
Psychology

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2012

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually it is useful and applicable to many fields of study. In biology it is only an asterisk.
Show proof.
Psychology

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2012

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
If there were no sun, what would power planet earth?

Level 4

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2012

Psychology wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not entirely true. A few years ago there was a meteorite that were found to have fossilized remains of organisms. Others show evidence of biological activity. It's possible that these meteorites were blasted into space from Earth due to some event in the past, and re-entered at a later date, but the assertion that there is "no evidence" for panspermia is not correct.
Psychology

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2012

Geothermal energy might be another good example.
Not without the power of the sun, the planet would become lifeless in a few months at most

Level 4

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2012

Psychology wrote:
<quoted text>
If there were no sun, what would power planet earth?
The earth's own rotation, geothermal energy, nuclear energy, exothermic reactions, etc. etc. How do organisms at the furthest depths of the ocean survive in absolute darkness?

Level 4

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2012

Psychology wrote:
<quoted text>
Not without the power of the sun, the planet would become lifeless in a few months at most
I'm no geolgist, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall that eath has a molten core that provides both heat and magnetic energy.
Psychology

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2012

Judged:

<quoted text>
That's not entirely true. A few years ago there was a meteorite that were found to have fossilized remains of organisms. Others show evidence of biological activity. It's possible that these meteorites were blasted into space from Earth due to some event in the past, and re-entered at a later date, but the assertion that there is "no evidence" for panspermia is not correct.
Do tell, what exactly were those remains of and show proof.

Level 4

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2012

Also, doesn't the friction from the movement of tectonic plates produce heat, magma and volcanic activity?
Psychology

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2012

<quoted text>
The earth's own rotation, geothermal energy, nuclear energy, exothermic reactions, etc. etc. How do organisms at the furthest depths of the ocean survive in absolute darkness?
It seems you lack foresight. Without the sun, there would be no heat at all from space and our planets oceans would grow cold almost overnight.

The core of the earth would start cooling very quickly. There would only be night. The entire electricAl grid would fail, as a total ice age took over.

Level 4

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2012

Psychology wrote:
<quoted text>
Do tell, what exactly were those remains of and show proof.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_162-200396...
Psychology

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2012

By the way, the earth would stop spinning and rotating and it would just float into the void.
Psychology

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2012

<quoted text>
I'm no geolgist, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall that eath has a molten core that provides both heat and magnetic energy.
That would cool very quickly without the sun heating the oceans, the ground and the atmosphere. The core would stop spinning, because the earth would quit spinning.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2012

Psychology wrote:
<quoted text>
It means nothing, no matter when it was first used, because there is no such thing as a closed system and you can't name even one closed system.

Those were MY points. Glad you agree.
Psychology

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2012

Also, doesn't the friction from the movement of tectonic plates produce heat, magma and volcanic activity?
Once the spin and rotation quit, all movement would stop, save for its solidification in ice.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 101,361 - 101,380 of168,566
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••