Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 | Posted by: Cash | Full story: www.scientificblogging.com

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."
Comments
100,661 - 100,680 of 171,611 Comments Last updated 4 hrs ago

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2012

Psychology wrote:
So no one can tell us where dirt came from origionally.
Perhaps the evolutionary fairy proofed it into being?
Now now children, you know science claims the need for evidence, so where's the evidence children?

Here you go.

http://web.bethere.co.uk/fm/soil/formed/f0101...

There are links at the bottom of the page for further information.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2012

Judged:

Psychology wrote:
It's pretty bad when science makes the claim that man came from nothing, but then science can't even tell us where dirt came from.

Science does not claim that either man or dirt came from nothing.

Where ever do you get these silly ideas about science?

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Since: Jul 09

Minneapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2012

Psychology wrote:
So no one can tell us where dirt came from origionally.
Perhaps the evolutionary fairy proofed it into being?
Now now children, you know science claims the need for evidence, so where's the evidence children?
Dirt is decomposed organic matter.
Psychology

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2012

Judged:

Science has no evidence of where man or rocks or any of the elements came from and yet, science pretends there can be no god.

If there was not the first grain of sand, there could be no rocks, moron.

How foolish science proves to be.
Psychology

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2012

Dirt is sand and organic matter.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2012

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Science does not claim that either man or dirt came from nothing.
Where ever do you get these silly ideas about science?
http://www.scribd.com/doc/14650088/Science-Ma...

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2012

Psychology wrote:
You mean soil.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2012

Psychology wrote:

Pretty much. To be more precise decomposed rock and organic matter. The rock may be as fine a powder so would not necessarily be classified as "sand".

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2012

MikeF wrote:

Better science than we get from the fundies!

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2012

MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean soil.

I think he means: SOIL!!!!

A little blast from the past.

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2012

Judged:

appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, just about anything can exist in all three states--liquid, gas and solid. It just depends on temperature.
Think of it this way. Water is liquid in only a very narrow range of the temperatures found throughout the universe. Temperatures can range from the extremely cold -270c of outer space to the extremely hot tens of millions of degrees in the center of the hottest stars. Yet, here we are in our home planet Earth - the only known place in the entire universe - where water is in its most usuable form - liquid - in only a very narrow range of temperatures, 0C to 100c, that are found on earth and suitable for life.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2012

monkey for evonuts wrote:
<quoted text> accurate predictions.-Can imperfect men make predictions as if he where a god? man cannot understand God's infinite wisdom. man copies from his creations not the other way around. so far commerce and technology has benefited only the 1 percent who own those businesses. Now Modern science has confirmed that the human body is composed of various elements-such as hydrogen,oxygen,and carbon-all of which are found in the earth's crust.How were those elements(dust)assembled into a living creature?
Imagine that...things that exist on Earth are composed of the elements present on Earth.

Why would you expect anything on Earth to be comprised of anything OTHER than the elements found on Earth?

By the way, you never answered the question. Keep dodging, coward. Every time you do, it's the same as you just coming out and saying "there's no good reason for me to believe the Bible is true."

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2012

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Think of it this way. Water is liquid in only a very narrow range of the temperatures found throughout the universe. Temperatures can range from the extremely cold -270c of outer space to the extremely hot tens of millions of degrees in the center of the hottest stars. Yet, here we are in our home planet Earth - the only known place in the entire universe - where water is in its most usuable form - liquid - in only a very narrow range of temperatures, 0C to 100c, that are found on earth and suitable for life.
...AS WE KNOW IT.

Every time you speak about life, you have to qualify it by saying it only refers to life AS WE KNOW IT. Otherwise, you're claiming knowledge about the entirety of the universe, and until you can demonstrate that you know more about the universe than everybody in the scientific community, then you're just talking out of your ass. Not that we'd expect different.

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2012

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
By the way, the "known universe" is a mere sliver in comparison to the massive tree that is the entire universe. If you're building an argument on our ignorance of the universe, that's a VERY flimsy argument, and doesn't support you at all.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2012

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>

Basically the same can be said for purple ping-pong balls. Earth is the only place in the entire universe where purple ping-pong balls are in their most usable form. They become brittle at very low temperatures and burn at high temperatures.

Purple ping-pong balls were CLEARLY designed by god for our benefit on earth.

I MAY have committed a fallacy, but I am sure you did.

“Evil Atheist :-)”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2012

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Suppose the chances of a star having a planet around that will have liquid water is one in a million.
There are 200,000 million stars in our galaxy and 100 billion plus galaxies.
That's a lot of planets.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Minneapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2012

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, earth based life exists within a range found on earth. Life exists in the deepest oceans and miles into earth's crust, it also exists deep into frozen snow and ice in Antartica, and in boiling toxic sludge in Yellowstone Park. In time we'll find out if life exists on other planets/moons in our solar system. We know the building blocks are out there, but we'll have to wait a while for conformation of life/no life.

“Don't get me started”

Level 1

Minneapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2012

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
Basically the same can be said for purple ping-pong balls. Earth is the only place in the entire universe where purple ping-pong balls are in their most usable form. They become brittle at very low temperatures and burn at high temperatures.
Purple ping-pong balls were CLEARLY designed by god for our benefit on earth.
I MAY have committed a fallacy, but I am sure you did.
They probably evolved from white ping-pong balls, though UC would insist that it would still just be microevolution.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2012

appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>
They probably evolved from white ping-pong balls, though UC would insist that it would still just be microevolution.

I noticed on pubmed that the ping-pong ball genome still has not been sequenced. Once that is done it is an easy matter to apply the molecular clock technique to see when the white and purple ping-pong ball lineages separated. Of course they have to use an estimate of the average ping-pong ball life to get an actual date figure.

Level 6

Since: Aug 07

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2012

Judged:

LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
By the way, the "known universe" is a mere sliver in comparison to the massive tree that is the entire universe. If you're building an argument on our ignorance of the universe, that's a VERY flimsy argument, and doesn't support you at all.
So you dismiss observed, factual evidence for the unknown. You put more weight on what we don't know than on what we do know. You see that the odds and the likelyhood of us finding another planet with liquid water is nearly non-existent yet, you place more weight on that prospect that what is right in front of your eyes? Really?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

8 Users are viewing the Evolution Debate Forum right now

Search the Evolution Debate Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
The Universe is fine-tuned for life 50 min polymath257 496
It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 2 hr DanFromSmithville 134,680
Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 2 hr DanFromSmithville 113,284
Why do half of Britons not believe in evolution? 5 hr Dogen 91
art & intelligence (Mar '11) Thu THE LONE WORKER 68
Evolution debate vote (Mar '09) Thu THE LONE WORKER 3,391
GOP House candidate Bob Frey believes dinosaurs... Thu The Dude 25
•••
•••