Evolution in medical school: Do we need more of it?

May 2, 2013 Read more: Boston.com

We're used to controversies around the teaching of evolution but here's one place you might be surprised to learn Darwinian thinking is still struggling to take hold: medical schools.

Read more

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#1 May 3, 2013
Not surprising, most doctors don't even pass physics.

Level 9

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#2 May 3, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
Not surprising, most doctors don't even pass physics.
They do okay in chemistry, especially organic chemistry. But they need to know that to help understand how drugs work and drug interactions. Of course this would explain the claims of Urb and other creatards that they know doctors that deny evolution.

I remember from college that the pre-meds were not the smartest scientists. They did seem the most driven to get good grades.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#3 May 3, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
They do okay in chemistry, especially organic chemistry. But they need to know that to help understand how drugs work and drug interactions. Of course this would explain the claims of Urb and other creatards that they know doctors that deny evolution.
I remember from college that the pre-meds were not the smartest scientists. They did seem the most driven to get good grades.
Medical science has saved my life, many times, so I don't discount that, but yeah, the doctors themselves are often ... lacking. They go by the stereotyped medical diagnosis more often than think for themselves, these days, and we know that stereotypes are more often wrong than accurate, and one such stereotype almost got me killed. Doctor pay should be based on their percentage of correct diagnosis, excluding the excessive diagnosis for "better safe than sorry," lest cancer starts killing a lot more people again, increased by the number of scientific classes they earn good marks on. The US would see a vast improvement in medical professionals if such a system were implemented.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 3 min Dogen 159,667
News Darwin on the rocks (Sep '14) 21 min In Six Days 1,066
News Should evolution be taught in high school? (Feb '08) 22 min Aura Mytha 178,505
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 51 min Zog Has-fallen 18,458
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 23 hr Dogen 141,211
Humans DID evolve from apes! (Oct '14) Fri Chimney1 68
Poll How Do You View The New Millerite Adventist Inv... Apr 13 Zog Has-fallen 1
More from around the web