The Reasons For Religion
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
thetruthbringer

San Clemente, CA

#1 Dec 6, 2006
Why is it that science and its theories are always the ones under attack? Because religion is filled with holes and statements throughout the bible that have been disproved. In order to keep evolutionasts and athiests from actually noticing these holes, and completely disproving the entire basis for any religion. This is the reason, the church is always attacking, and science is always succesfully defending. Religion was created for 2 reasons, and all religions have these 2 in common. People are scared of what they dont know, so they use religion to loosly attempt to incorrectly explain these uncertainties. The second is the constant fear of death. Many people are so scared of death, that they need to make up an antirely false story so that they can make themselves beleive that they arent truly "dying," but just going to a better place. As long as those fears exist, religion will be rampant, even though continuasly disproved.

Since: Dec 06

Clearwater, Florida USA

#2 Dec 6, 2006
thetruthbringer wrote:
Why is it that science and its theories are always the ones under attack? Because religion is filled with holes and statements throughout the bible that have been disproved. In order to keep evolutionasts and athiests from actually noticing these holes, and completely disproving the entire basis for any religion. This is the reason, the church is always attacking, and science is always succesfully defending. Religion was created for 2 reasons, and all religions have these 2 in common. People are scared of what they dont know, so they use religion to loosly attempt to incorrectly explain these uncertainties. The second is the constant fear of death. Many people are so scared of death, that they need to make up an antirely false story so that they can make themselves beleive that they arent truly "dying," but just going to a better place. As long as those fears exist, religion will be rampant, even though continuasly disproved.
A big roar of welcome The Truth Bringer :) i believe religion is also used as a means to power over others- traditionally this is has been one of its purposes. What do you think about it?

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Level 2

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#3 Dec 7, 2006
I agree, Sekhmet, with the idea that religion is often a justification for those in power to keep in power.

It's as true of religion, as any other human endeavor, that "Power Corrupts. Absolute Power, corrupts absolutely."

And religion is not immune from the corrupting effect of already-corrupt power-mongers.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Which is but one more reason why we need to keep religion separate from government.

When they BOTH get together, the corruptive-touch really gets out of control.

Anyone remember the Taliban?

“I am the great an powerful Ny!”

Lebanon, PA

#4 Dec 7, 2006
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
Anyone remember the Taliban?
Or England before the revolution for that matter?
thetruthbringer

San Clemente, CA

#5 Dec 7, 2006
im not sure people use religion as a means for power, but the church is definetely pushing its limits, and beginning to impose religion on others. And the sad part is, the government sides with them. for instance when they wanted to set up a stand in home depot, for the employees, but the owners of home depot said no. What does the church do? takes it to court. Even though the owners of home depot should have won, they didnt. neither the church or even the government should have that kind of power over our businesses and personal lives. Sadly it seems that there cant be a truer statement than power corrupts, absolute power corrupt absolutely. Unfortunately, becuase of this, every day the church gets more power and influence, becuase the government lets them, while the government continues to get more communist with every passing day. this is a sad day indeed.
Redoran

Philadelphia, PA

#6 Dec 9, 2006
The fact that the taliban ( muslims & their quoran) state that if one commits suicide and takes infidels with them, they are guaranteed unlimited sex for all eternity with 72 virgins. Look at this logically and it is total moronic bastardized horse crap, total excremental dodoo. There is not another possible result in the realms of history and common sense. The bible, quoran, koran, and all so called "religious texts" are simply ancient folk tales carried from generation to generation. They have no place in context other than folk or "wives tales" written by ?? men?? Why do simple folk tales continue to carry such weight to pulverise and control nations? It is just amazing the ignorance that exits in today's high tech world. The philosophers must rule, carry on their thoughts to the populace lest we all be destroyed by the fundamentalists.
Crance

London, KY

#7 Dec 10, 2006
Redoran wrote:
The fact that the taliban ( muslims & their quoran) state that if one commits suicide and takes infidels with them, they are guaranteed unlimited sex for all eternity with 72 virgins. Look at this logically and it is total moronic bastardized horse crap, total excremental dodoo. There is not another possible result in the realms of history and common sense. The bible, quoran, koran, and all so called "religious texts" are simply ancient folk tales carried from generation to generation. They have no place in context other than folk or "wives tales" written by ?? men?? Why do simple folk tales continue to carry such weight to pulverise and control nations? It is just amazing the ignorance that exits in today's high tech world. The philosophers must rule, carry on their thoughts to the populace lest we all be destroyed by the fundamentalists.
Maybe,

But not all Bible believers are fundamentalists.

The MESSAGE of these books are still quite valid today. They are moral messages and must be interpreted in the proper context. It is up to the individual to decide whether to put the message into action. Love, Peace, Social Justice, Respect of the Lord, etc, etc

Peace

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Level 2

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#8 Dec 10, 2006
Crance wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe,
But not all Bible believers are fundamentalists.
The MESSAGE of these books are still quite valid today. They are moral messages and must be interpreted in the proper context. It is up to the individual to decide whether to put the message into action. Love, Peace, Social Justice, Respect of the Lord, etc, etc
Peace
Well said, Crance. Well said.

I think it would be a shame to toss out the many thousands of years of collected human wisdom, just because of a few odd-ball ideas pushed into the forefront by extremists.

I still view the Bible as a collected book of "How To Get Along With Your Neighbor". And "How To Live, and Not Be Lynched by Your Neighbor" <heh> (but this 2nd one is more subtle, and is often taken too far, so that lynching occurs anyway. but I digress)

There is also a great deal of other stuff in there, too-- but that is also one of the lessons of wisdom, is it not? The wisdom to discern what is good and what can and should be ignored? The very process of figuring THAT OUT leads to wisdom.
Crance

London, KY

#9 Dec 10, 2006
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Well said, Crance. Well said.
I think it would be a shame to toss out the many thousands of years of collected human wisdom, just because of a few odd-ball ideas pushed into the forefront by extremists.
I still view the Bible as a collected book of "How To Get Along With Your Neighbor". And "How To Live, and Not Be Lynched by Your Neighbor" <heh> (but this 2nd one is more subtle, and is often taken too far, so that lynching occurs anyway. but I digress)
There is also a great deal of other stuff in there, too-- but that is also one of the lessons of wisdom, is it not? The wisdom to discern what is good and what can and should be ignored? The very process of figuring THAT OUT leads to wisdom.
Bob,

That "other stuff", when placed in the proper context, may be more benign than many realize.

As a general rule, it is safe to say that if an OT passage attributes something to God which cannot be attributed to Jesus Christ, then that passage should be interpreted in light of Christ's life and teaching.

i.e. it is not likely that God actually commanded OT military leaders to slaughter every man, woman, child, animals, etc in the cities they overran.

It is far more likely that these leaders mistakenly believed God to be behind their directives and that their erroneous attitudes are reported as they perceived them.

Also, we must keep in mind that the theology of the OT/Old Covenant was imperfect. Otherwise, there would hhave been no need for a New (Testament/Covenant)

Improper hermeunetics/exegesis can make a mess of things.

Peace to you and yours Bob!
CONCERNED

Ransom Canyon, TX

#10 Dec 10, 2006
Not all who read the Bible and live by it's teachings are religious fanatics.Religion can be controlling yes ,such as the Catholic Church is ,but to really be free of OUR fears we have to look at the words in the Bible realisticly .Athiest's have spent years trying to prove the Bible wrong ,and they will spend the next thousand years still trying to prove it wrong.We KNOW a woman at one time could not get pregnant with out a man to help out,then we learned thats not always the case ,test tube babies taught us that ,we KNOW that a man has what is needed to reproduce just as a woman does ,one with out the other and our species may die out ,BUT now we have gene's that can be replicated by science ,so we now know the Biblee may have been wrong about the man/woman only teachings.We are now seeing movies that dispute the greatest story ever told ,and ones that bring tears to our eyes such as the passion of christ .What we don't know yet is WHO really is responsable for the words in the Bible.To me ,religion is a control ,it binds you like iron chains to a specific religion .Christianty to me ,is freedom ,FROM the chains of religion.Its HOW we live ,HOW we treat others ,HOW we understand that not every one is a religious person ,but many still live Christian lives.

Clearwater, Florida USA

#11 Dec 10, 2006
Crance wrote:
<quoted text>
when placed in the proper context, may be more benign than many realize.
i.e. it is not likely that God actually commanded OT military leaders to slaughter every man, woman, child, animals, etc in the cities they overran.
It is far more likely that these leaders mistakenly believed God to be behind their directives and that their erroneous attitudes are reported as they perceived them.
snip
Improper hermeunetics/exegesis can make a mess of things.
Peace to you and yours Bob!
Hi Crance, please include proper historical understanding as well. Biblical redactors living in the time of Assyrian domination faced horrible things. How many of us today say, i rather be dead than... As an example of Assyrian mercy i enclose the following. Early Assyrian yes, but he set the mode for the later ones.
Annals of Ashur-nârsi-pal II
445.....At the source of the river Subnat, where stand the images of Tiglath-pileser and Tukulti-Urta, kings of Assyria, my fathers, I fashioned an image of my royal person, and I set it up beside them. At that time I received the tribute of the land of Isala,—cattle, flocks, and wine. To the mountain of Kashiari I crossed, to Kinabu, the fortified city of Hulai, I drew near. With the masses of my troops and by my furious battle onset I stormed, I captured the city; 600 of their warriors I put to the sword; 3,000 captives I burned with fire; I did not leave a single one among them alive to serve as a hostage. Hulai, their governor, I captured alive. Their corpses I formed into pillars; their young men and maidens I burned in the fire. Hulai, their governor, I flayed, his skin I spread upon the wall of the city of Damdamusa; the city I destroyed, I devastated, I burned with fire. The city of Mariru, which was within their borders, I captured. Fifty of their warriors I put to the sword; 200 of their captives I burned with fire. 332 men of the land of Nirbu I slew in a battle on the plain; their spoil, their cattle, and their sheep I carried off. The (men of the) land of Nirbu, which is at the foot of Mount Uhira, had banded themselves together, and had entered the city of Tela, their stronghold. From Kinabu I departed, to the city of Tela I drew near. The city was exceeding strong and was surrounded by three walls. The men trusted in their mighty walls and in their hosts, and did not come down, and did not embrace my feet. With battle and slaughter I stormed the city and captured it. 3,000 of their warriors I put to the sword; their spoil and their possessions, their cattle and their sheep I carried off. Many captives from among them I burned with fire, and many I took as living captives. From some I cut off their hands and their fingers, and from others I cut off their noses, their ears, and their fingers(?), of many I put out the eyes. I made one pillar of the living, and another of heads, and I bound their heads to posts (tree trunks) round about the city. Their young men (Col. II) and maidens I burned in the fire, the city I destroyed, I devastated, I burned it with fire and consumed it. At that time the cities of the land of Nirbi and their strong walls I destroyed, I devastated, I burned with fire.

Luckenbill, Daniel D., Ancient Records of Assyria and Babylonia, Vol. 1: Historical Records of Assyria, from the earliest times to Sargon,(Chicago: University of Chicago Press) 1926. pp. 146-147

Clearwater, Florida USA

#12 Dec 10, 2006
Hi CONCERNED, i welcome you to the forum. Please be not so concerned, G-d our Lord is still very much in control for want of proof, many have lost their faith. Trust in Him, and He will not forsake us.

He was willing to save Sodom and Gomorrah, for the sake of just righteous 10 men. We will never know for sure if G-d would have settled for even less. Abraham lost faith, and stopped at 10, G-d agreed.

Remember CONCERNED, Christians dwell upon what is good, what is Holy not concern. Take care, sister. Today He is moving real people of faith, those able to fight the spiritual battle are moving. Rejoice and join with me in pray for those who are able.
Crance

London, KY

#13 Dec 11, 2006
Sekhmet wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Crance, please include proper historical understanding as well. Biblical redactors living in the time of Assyrian domination faced horrible things. How many of us today say, i rather be dead than... As an example of Assyrian mercy i enclose the following. Early Assyrian yes, but he set the mode for the later ones.
Annals of Ashur-nârsi-pal II
445.....At the source of the river Subnat, where stand the images of Tiglath-pileser and Tukulti-Urta, kings of Assyria, my fathers, I fashioned an image of my royal person, and I set it up beside them. At that time I received the tribute of the land of Isala,—cattle, flocks, and wine. To the mountain of Kashiari I crossed, to Kinabu, the fortified city of Hulai, I drew near. With the masses of my troops and by my furious battle onset I stormed, I captured the city; 600 of their warriors I put to the sword; 3,000 captives I burned with fire; I did not leave a single one among them alive to serve as a hostage. Hulai, their governor, I captured alive. Their corpses I formed into pillars; their young men and maidens I burned in the fire. Hulai, their governor, I flayed, his skin I spread upon the wall of the city of Damdamusa; the city I destroyed, I devastated, I burned with fire. The city of Mariru, which was within their borders, I captured. Fifty of their warriors I put to the sword; 200 of their captives I burned with fire. 332 men of the land of Nirbu I slew in a battle on the plain; their spoil, their cattle, and their sheep I carried off. The (men of the) land of Nirbu, which is at the foot of Mount Uhira, had banded themselves together, and had entered the city of Tela, their stronghold. From Kinabu I departed, to the city of Tela I drew near. The city was exceeding strong and was surrounded by three walls. The men trusted in their mighty walls and in their hosts, and did not come down, and did not embrace my feet. With battle and slaughter I stormed the city and captured it. 3,000 of their warriors I put to the sword; their spoil and their possessions, their cattle and their sheep I carried off. Many captives from among them I burned with fire, and many I took as living captives. From some I cut off their hands and their fingers, and from others I cut off their noses, their ears, and their fingers(?), of many I put out the eyes. I made one pillar of the living, and another of heads, and I bound their heads to posts (tree trunks) round about the city. Their young men (Col. II) and maidens I burned in the fire, the city I destroyed, I devastated, I burned it with fire and consumed it. At that time the cities of the land of Nirbi and their strong walls I destroyed, I devastated, I burned with fire.
Luckenbill, Daniel D., Ancient Records of Assyria and Babylonia, Vol. 1: Historical Records of Assyria, from the earliest times to Sargon,(Chicago: University of Chicago Press) 1926. pp. 146-147
Yes, historical understanding for sure, literary genre used, situations specific to the life of the hagiographer, reason for the need of certain moral messages, the audience intended, etc, etc

Thanks Sekhmet ... Peace
mechamoth

Springdale, AR

#14 Jan 4, 2007
religion could have been created for a number of reasons, yes power is one, but also money, a lot more money goes into churches than we are told; also an imidiated misunderstanding of life, basically one or more people just wanted someone or something to blame for everything.
Mike

AOL

#15 Feb 26, 2007
thetruthbringer wrote:
Precisely what I've been thinking lately myself.

We humans invented this idea of a "god" to explain away that which we didn't understand but can NOW explain by means of scientific knowledge.

AOL

#16 Feb 26, 2007
Mike wrote:
<quoted text>
Precisely what I've been thinking lately myself.
We humans invented this idea of a "god" to explain away that which we didn't understand but can NOW explain by means of scientific knowledge.
Not everything.

“Beauty on four legs”

Level 1

Since: Sep 06

Location hidden

#17 Feb 26, 2007
Amber B wrote:
<quoted text>
Not everything.
....yet.

*sigh*

Since: Apr 07

Madras

#18 Apr 12, 2007
why we are in this world!

Clearwater, Florida USA

#19 Apr 12, 2007
salih wrote:
why we are in this world!
Greetings of peace Salih, in the name of G-d almighty. We of the Holy Books of God understand our purpose in this world as to bring glory to God, and to make manifest in our lives His will for us.(This being a perfect submission of trust in Him, to all things that happen to us good or bad.)

May i ask why do you ask?

“I am the great an powerful Ny!”

Lebanon, PA

#20 Apr 12, 2007
Sekhmet wrote:
<quoted text>
our purpose in this world as to bring glory to God, and to make manifest in our lives His will for us.
Why? Is God suffering from self-esteem issues?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 14 min Blitzking 205,617
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 44 min Eagle 12 18,735
can anyone explain to me why humans are the onl... (Mar '08) 1 hr It aint necessari... 979
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Into The Night 43,471
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 5 hr scientia potentia... 151,494
evolution is correct. prove me wrong (Jul '15) Tue Chazofsaints 37
Questions about first life Aug 28 Upright Scientist 18
More from around the web