Atheism and homosexuality

Atheism and homosexuality

There are 3861 comments on the Conservapedia story from Dec 5, 2011, titled Atheism and homosexuality. In it, Conservapedia reports that:

Creationist scientists and creationist assert that the theory of evolution cannot account for the origin of gender and sexual reproduction.http://www.apologeticspress.org/articles/136http://www.answersingenesis.org/pbs_nova/0928ep5.asp [[Creation Ministries International]] states: "Homosexual acts go against [[God]]'s original [[Intelligent design ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Conservapedia.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Level 2

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#1862 Aug 21, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Just one thing to be fair to her, this thread also shows in the Religion forum, Gay/Lesbian forum and evolution forum as well as the atheist forum. I'm posting from the evolution forum.
Fair enough.

But in the Evolution forum, isn't it mostly populated by atheists?

Or if you prefer, non-believers?

:)

Level 2

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#1863 Aug 21, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
It doesn't MATTER if most Americans prefer blacks to be slaves. It's against the Constitution.
Indeed-- there was a majority of **voters** in the South (prior to 1865), who preferred keeping their slaves.

Of course-- if you had allowed either **women** or the slaves to vote?

The outcome would likely have been different...

Level 2

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#1864 Aug 21, 2013
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Drat!
Don't you love it when the extremists, whether to the right or to the left love the Constitution, until it is used against them of course.
Of course.

An apocryphal story about ex-President Bush says that during a particularly troublesome meeting in the Oval Office, when he was wanting to exercise his "presidential powers", a staffer kept telling him what he wanted to do, was not Constitutional.

Bush allegedly yelled back, "Stop throwing the constitution in my face! It's just a piece of paper!"

I cannot verify the sorry tale, but it would not surprise me in the least if it were true.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#1865 Aug 21, 2013
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Fair enough.
By numbers, probably. They don't play often anymore but if I recall correctly Katydid and FossilBob were theists, AND also had the creds to discuss evolution too (biologist and geologist respectively). Dogen's still here who's kinda our resident deistic Buddhist Christian. Plus he's also got the proper creds to tell us which posters are nuts.

And they tend to be the fundies.

Level 2

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#1866 Aug 21, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
By numbers, probably. They don't play often anymore but if I recall correctly Katydid and FossilBob were theists, AND also had the creds to discuss evolution too (biologist and geologist respectively). Dogen's still here who's kinda our resident deistic Buddhist Christian. Plus he's also got the proper creds to tell us which posters are nuts.
And they tend to be the fundies.
I still have FB's friending on my Facebook account.

He's good people, and yes, he's a theist--but he's neither fanatical nor insane. He accepts the findings of science, and sees that as simply increasing the scope of his deity. Good for him.(Yes, I do like him, even now)

Katydid pretty much single handedly ran me off the evolution boards, with her catholic fanaticism.

I made the mistake of criticizing her church, once...

.. once. Never again-- I left shortly after that. She can be as fanatical as any, if she wants.
The Dude

Macclesfield, UK

#1867 Aug 21, 2013
She's not a fundie, she just doesn't see the whole evolution debate as theism vs atheism. Me neither really, I got no problem with religion as long as they aren't claiming it's scientific. But hey, hell hath no fury and all that, our Katy's got claws and she can scratch!

;-p

Level 2

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#1868 Aug 21, 2013
The Dude wrote:
She's not a fundie, she just doesn't see the whole evolution debate as theism vs atheism. Me neither really, I got no problem with religion as long as they aren't claiming it's scientific. But hey, hell hath no fury and all that, our Katy's got claws and she can scratch!
;-p
No, she's no fundie-- she welcomes scientific inquiry.

But no one is allowed to criticize her catholic church.

“Help religion science wander”

Level 9

Since: Jan 11

into the night.

#1869 Aug 21, 2013
<quoted text>
Fair enough.
I don't know how many myself. Posting on the Evolution forum I would rather religious wasn't a main issue. Unfortunately, the fundamentalists have to come on and flaunt their views while they thwart Satan. I suppose it is inevitable that they be their since science debunks a literal view of Genesis.

I find the atheist I have met on Topix to be the more intelligent, interesting and enlightened posters and their seems to be several regulars on the forum. It wouldn't be worth visiting if it weren't for the intelligence they and the other science oriented folks bring to the forum. I would quickly tire of just be a smart ass to them. It is only fun in measured doses.

I don't think the fundies believe my position, but I don't care much what they think. In fact, it would be refreshing if they did, even once. Think.

“Headline already in use”

Level 10

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#1870 Aug 22, 2013
DNF wrote:
It would help if you studied cultures besides the ones in your Activia.
Do you deny States didn't start specifying marriage gender integration law until segregated couples started suing? In California, the people voted twice by referendum, that marriage is defined as one man and one woman. That's our culture; that's every culture's definition of marriage. Male/female is universal in written marriage law before the 21st Century.

Same sex unions have always existed. Civil unions and domestic partnerships are perfect compromise. There are some tax differences between married and single; I'd like to go after those wasteful government entitlement schemes with an axe. You want to negotiate about tax and entitlement befits; I want to listen.

It's all about the money.

Level 2

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#1871 Aug 22, 2013
DanFromSmithville wrote:
<quoted text>I don't know how many myself. Posting on the Evolution forum I would rather religious wasn't a main issue. Unfortunately, the fundamentalists have to come on and flaunt their views while they thwart Satan. I suppose it is inevitable that they be their since science debunks a literal view of Genesis.
Yes.. they think that their "arguments" are actually convincing...

... I suppose they are, if you have been fully indoctrinated into the cult--

-- the irony is? If that's the case? You no longer **need** the arguments at all..!

LOL!
DanFromSmithville wrote:
I find the atheist I have met on Topix to be the more intelligent, interesting and enlightened posters and their seems to be several regulars on the forum. It wouldn't be worth visiting if it weren't for the intelligence they and the other science oriented folks bring to the forum. I would quickly tire of just be a smart ass to them. It is only fun in measured doses.
Me too-- but I do loves me my humorous outlet.

I even get a laugh at the extremists on either side--occasionally Skeptic, our resident "atheist azzhole" comes up with a really hilarious one-liner that makes me laugh out loud. So worth it.
DanFromSmithville wrote:
I don't think the fundies believe my position, but I don't care much what they think. In fact, it would be refreshing if they did, even once. Think.
As the fictional genius-doctor House once quipped?

"If you could reason with religious people, there wouldn't be any religious people."
~ Gregory House

Level 2

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#1872 Aug 22, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
It's all about the money.
Yes-- that defines **all** religions, everywhere.

It's all about the MONEY.

Why do you think religions are still tax exempt, hmmm?

It's a powerful **lobby**-- and they wish to **keep** their stolen monies.

And as it turns out? Our lovely government?

HAS ALWAYS BEEN FOR SALE TO THE HIGHEST BIDDER.

The **only** saving grace about that? Is these government shills DO NOT STAY BOUGHT.

So the **next** in line with cash-money gets their **next** vote...

... and so on and so on.

Level 9

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#1873 Aug 22, 2013
<quoted text>
Yes-- that defines **all** religions, everywhere.
It's all about the MONEY.
Why do you think religions are still tax exempt, hmmm?
It's a powerful **lobby**-- and they wish to **keep** their stolen monies.
And as it turns out? Our lovely government?
HAS ALWAYS BEEN FOR SALE TO THE HIGHEST BIDDER.
The **only** saving grace about that? Is these government shills DO NOT STAY BOUGHT.
So the **next** in line with cash-money gets their **next** vote...
... and so on and so on.
Always has been all about money for religions. It's the reason priests aren't allowed to marry. That way they leave their property to the church and not their children. It's why the Catholic church had the witch hunts to strip wealthy women of their money and property.

If religion was no longer tax exempt - why it should be is beyond me - the deficit would be gone.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Level 2

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#1874 Aug 22, 2013
<quoted text>
I still have FB's friending on my Facebook account.
He's good people, and yes, he's a theist--but he's neither fanatical nor insane. He accepts the findings of science, and sees that as simply increasing the scope of his deity. Good for him.(Yes, I do like him, even now)
Katydid pretty much single handedly ran me off the evolution boards, with her catholic fanaticism.
I made the mistake of criticizing her church, once...
.. once. Never again-- I left shortly after that. She can be as fanatical as any, if she wants.
I too have no difficulty accepting that religious belief doesn't negate belief in science or evolution. And vice versa.

BTW I'm glad to know you don't really see me as fanatical or insane.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Level 2

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#1875 Aug 22, 2013
_Susan_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Always has been all about money for religions. It's the reason priests aren't allowed to marry. That way they leave their property to the church and not their children. It's why the Catholic church had the witch hunts to strip wealthy women of their money and property.
If religion was no longer tax exempt - why it should be is beyond me - the deficit would be gone.
Under the rules of the RCC a priest is allowed to be married. Any minster who is married and has children can convert and become a Catholic Priest and the celibacy rule is not applied.

Furthermore there are a few sects withing the RCC that allow their priests to marry. Maronites for example.

If we go further back we also see that in many cultures the idea of celibacy for a priest was viewed as contrary to the natural order created by God.

Level 9

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#1876 Aug 22, 2013
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>Under the rules of the RCC a priest is allowed to be married. Any minster who is married and has children can convert and become a Catholic Priest and the celibacy rule is not applied.
Furthermore there are a few sects withing the RCC that allow their priests to marry. Maronites for example.
If we go further back we also see that in many cultures the idea of celibacy for a priest was viewed as contrary to the natural order created by God.
It's a strange rule and should be rescinded. It only came about because the Catholic church wanted more money.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#1877 Aug 22, 2013
For religious people to claim god is real, is an attempt to be scientific. And on this note they are wrong and god isn't real.

Really not sure why anyone hasn't realised this in thousands of years...are most humans that stupid?

Level 2

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#1878 Aug 22, 2013
_Susan_ wrote:
<quoted text>

Indeed.

If you like history? Go back to before priests were forbidden to marry-- back then? They not only married, they had lots and lots of kids (as did everyone who could-- kids were your future).

Then along comes a pope who hates the idea of marriage (and likely hates women too-but that's something else).

He declares unilaterally that all priests are now officially **not** married-- and that their kids are now b*astards, and their wives, harlots or worse.

This was a move to grab all the property owned by all those village priests all over Europe. Formerly, the priest pretty much owned his own home, and likely the parish too--at least the land it was on.

Upon his death? That reverts to the "Holy C", instead of going to his descendents as would normally have been the case.

It was an ugly and selfish move on the part of that horrid pope.

He **could** have simply declared that henceforth, priests shall not marry, and any who's wife dies, cannot remarry...

... but noooooo....

.... meh.

Level 2

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#1879 Aug 22, 2013
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>I too have no difficulty accepting that religious belief doesn't negate belief in science or evolution. And vice versa.
BTW I'm glad to know you don't really see me as fanatical or insane.
I don't.

Most of my immediate family is religious to a greater or lessor degree.

I get along with them quite nicely-- I even have discussions with my brother about atheism and religion.(after his kids are in bed-- I am not a monster-- they are **his** kids, not mine, so it would be unethical for me to go against what he's taught them).

Of course, when they are older? If they ask? Well... that's a horse of another color-- I'll be honest, I'll not lie to them to spare feelings.

In fact? I seldom go out of my way to promote atheism--

-- with two notable exceptions: Topix and Facebook.

And, naturally, how I **vote**...

... but who doesn't vote as they see fit?

Level 2

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#1880 Aug 22, 2013
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>Under the rules of the RCC a priest is allowed to be married. Any minster who is married and has children can convert and become a Catholic Priest and the celibacy rule is not applied.
Not entirely-- if the newly Catholic priest's wife ups and dies on him?

He is forbidden to remarry. So it applies in a way.

Level 2

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#1881 Aug 22, 2013
_Susan_ wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a strange rule and should be rescinded. It only came about because the Catholic church wanted more money.
And a land-grab.

Yes, true.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Evolution Debate Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 12 min One way or another 43,226
Questions about first life 18 min Upright Scientist 15
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 35 min Eagle 12 18,569
News Evolution vs. Creation (Jul '11) 58 min One way or another 205,053
News It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in e... (Mar '09) 2 hr Dogen 151,483
can anyone explain to me why humans are the onl... (Mar '08) 5 hr ChristineM 915
Carbon and isotopic dating are a lie 6 hr One way or another 16
More from around the web